Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Big news headline in Quebec today:

Baby got squished by a car in a drive-in theatre. Parents left the baby on the ground while they were picking up their lawn chairs.

Baby, on the ground, in a drive-in theatre. God drat people are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

It's weird to see this kind of thing happen in other countries because there's not an immediate lawsuit against the establishment for not putting "caution: obvious things here" signs all over

The current public reaction, from online comments:

French people: “Who the gently caress leaves a baby on the ground in a drive-in?”

English people: “idiot should have looked before reversing!”

In conclusion Canada is a land of contrasts.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

poo poo they can have mine for free once I’m done with it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

psydude posted:

You'd think an organization that's managed to waste trillions on broken airplanes would be able to at least hire some overpriced consultants to tell them how to fix their problems (it's them, they're the problems).

But enough about Boeing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Page intentionally left blank is great because of the double sided thing, and so that when someone hands me a ton of installed paperwork I know whether there’s a page missing or it’s supposed to be blank. It’s not just a military thing.

And half the bullshit y’all complaining about also shows up in the corporate thread. The military ain’t that special.

Copy of Thanks_for-service V2 Mike new colour.xlsx.xls

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Vasudus posted:

And for content:

That's the Arctic with ice less than 1m in thickness removed as of 31 July 19. This level of melt wasn't anticipated until 2050 or 2070. We're 0-3 years away from a Blue Ocean Event. Don't read the CSPAM climate change thread if you have a problem with existential crisis.

While this is super loving bad and a clear sign of human-caused climate fuckery, let’s keep in mind that ice coverage swings wildly from year to year, and that this year might not be indicative of next year. Those of you who follow my professional adventures know what I mean.

That being said, we are hosed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea it’s not a matter of belief, it’s a matter of understanding. Our generation’s kids are going to be loving pissed once they’re old enough to understand how badly their grandparents hosed up the planet.

They might not get that old.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Eej posted:

It's remarkable that the world outside of the USA is a wasteland of women getting raped and the children and elderly being mugged and murdered every day because they don't have guns to protect themselves

If any other country had the rate of shooting the US does, combined with the concentration camps and mounting sectarian / political violence, the State Department would have travel advisories out.

When’s the last time there was a mass shooting in a developed country? New Zealand and Norway before that? The guy at the Canadian parliament?

The US being much more religious than those countries, you’d expect their Thoughts and Prayers to be that much more effective.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

Sure, compare apples to grapefruits if you want. But they're different cultures who are way less violent than we are because they have 1) largely homogeneous populations, 2) univeral healthcare, 3) way better access to mental healthcare, 4) maternity leave, 5) way less economic inequality, 6) more hope for a career or upward mobility, or hope for a decent life, 7) almost all of them offer free college or university, and 8) on average, all of them have better education systems than we do (K-12).

Tell me more about 1) :allears:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Eej posted:

USA: 14.4% immigrant population, 27.6% non white population
Canada: 21.9% immigrant population, 22.3% visible minority population

Are you saying that the 5% more ethnic minorities is a significant factor in the 24,800% greater amount of mass shootings this year versus Canada?

There’s an even bigger ethno cultural factor in Canada because of the whole French thing.

Hasn’t led to significant amount of violence in a while though (schoolyard fights excluded).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Eej posted:

Canada does have public healthcare and much stricter gun laws as well as an official policy of being welcoming to immigration though. This doesn't stop us from having our own incels driving people over on the sidewalk in a van though (but the incel movement may be considered a cultural export from the south anyway).

Most of our bad things are import from the south, like cheese whiz, conservatives and bud light.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Well it’s been a great infrastructure week, looking forward to infrastructure week starting Monday.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Current events: Yoko needs a belly rub

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It’s winter in Australia but they don’t usually get snow.

Like it’s summer in Canada, but the thermometer in Kuujjuaq shouldn’t hit 27C. Ever.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Godholio posted:

Didn't you make this probatable?

EBB is Obama to :mcnally:’s :sad:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

psydude posted:

I don't know if I'd place pulling down your employee's pants and showing their genitalia to all of their coworkers in the same category as your frat bro pantsing you during chapters.

Yeah it’s this. The employer / employee (or more likely customer / supplier, because 1099) power imbalance makes all the difference.

If my friend pants me I can turn around and punch them, my boss not so much.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

orange juche posted:

Hey, RE the guy who shattered a kid's skull over not taking off his hat during the national anthem:

Fun note: this guy has PTSD, and serious problems with impulse control, but the state of Montana allows him to own guns still.

Two years probation.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Pleas down to a misdo, community service, record expunged. Pardoned by Trump in 2020.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

thetechnoloser posted:

He can't pardon state crimes fysa plus if it was expunged why would he need it?

Trump don’t care about either of those things. MAGA.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Unless you're in New Zealand, where they pretty much became an apex predator

That man-sized penguin sounds pretty bad rear end though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Israel is hilariously touchy about the BDS thing. Oh no somebody disagrees with what we’re doing! LET’S LOSE OUR poo poo!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

September 2019 current events: I have second thoughts about everything

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

not caring here posted:

Wait, meat can cause migraines?

Nitrates are some hosed up poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Well duh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Suspending parliament is normally only done during elections. That’s why we have such short campaigns - the government essentially stops during them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wonder Free posted:

NHC’s numbers on it say the Recon missions (the ones that go through) increase the intensity accuracy about 40% over the past 40 years or so and the surveillance missions (that fly high and around sampling the air around it) have led to about to about the same increase in track accuracy since we started doing it in the 90’s.

The new hotness is our Tail Doppler Radar. It is only on the NOAA planes and lets us basically stream off a 3D map (vertical profile that we hit from 4-8 sections as we pass through storm) This feeds into the forecast model runs and all of the hurricane centers get pretty excited for it.

We and the Air Force measure surface wind speed with a special radiometer that derives wind speed from the sea foam on the surface of the water, we well as drop sondes that get shot out of the aircraft. We’ve also got one that they are trying to use to help with storm surge prediction.

Hey you’re doing good work that helps people in a big way, hang in there.

There’s a great Michael Lewis Audible Original about the Trump administration loving with NOAA, I highly recommend it. Accuweather is some :stare: bullshit, and I refuse to use their products since I listened to that.

Y’all know how obsessed I am with weather so that tells you something.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Are there any plans to replace the P-3s? Offhand I can't think of any modern turboprop equivalent. Dash-8, maybe, but those are only kind of in production still.

And of course thanks for sharing your amazing job with us.

Oh the Dash-8 is still in production. It’s the Dash-7 that went to the great STOLport in the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

He His staff posted a picture of a screen.

How grandpa.