Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

The sense of purposelessness and futility is so overwhelming in Das Boot that it's hard to watch. This alone qualifies it for greatest war movie ever made.

if "hard to watch" is a qualifier, try out Come and See

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm betting neither have they.

Really?

I'm probably cheating by living in San Francisco and being politically active.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Vasudus posted:

I said I was in the room!

(in the back row quietly sitting)

thank you for your service

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Those briefings consume hundreds of working hours to prepare. Often enough with little notice and requiring the coordination of dozens of offices and staff.

Briefings do not consume working hours, they provide them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

All of those things just got better on their own, with no human intervention apparently. Amazing how that just worked out.

"i thank god every day for it, maybe you should try that instead of telling everybody else what kind of lightbulbs they can use :smuggo:"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I don't buy the rural security argument in general, nostly because there's a lot of people in cities who also, to put it mildly, cannot count on prompt and effective protection from police.

but at the very least people who may run into bears, wolves, etc., should be able to have rifles.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

Sure, compare apples to grapefruits if you want. But they're different cultures who are way less violent than we are because they have 1) largely homogeneous populations, 2) univeral healthcare, 3) way better access to mental healthcare, 4) maternity leave, 5) way less economic inequality, 6) more hope for a career or upward mobility, or hope for a decent life, 7) almost all of them offer free college or university, and 8) on average, all of them have better education systems than we do (K-12).

many of us are working on programs to address these points, unfortunately many in power are stuck on the first

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Seriously, run for the loving Senate Beto. You want to inact change? Start there. It's not too loving late. gently caress.

what if i told you this is him running for the senate?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i never know when establishing someone else's ancestry is supposed to come up in conversation.

one time i was talking to a nice lady visiting the city where i lived, and something we were talking about prompted her to say she had noticed i hadn't ever asked her where she was from, and i said one of the first things she had told me was that she was from Toronto, and she said yeah but obviously her family wasn't from there, and i said well, i was guessing that your last name was Vietnamese, but my last name is Polish, and that has gently caress-all to do with where I'm from, and anyway that was the first time i slept with someone the same day i met them, subscribe to my patreon for my complete BLT® system of romantic success via Being Less Terrible

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Why on earth would you need to establish their ancestry?

i don't, and i'm confused that anyone else does

i know they somehow feel that need, because they do it, and defend doing it when they hear people say how being asked "but where are you *really* from?" makes them feel

you can write it all off as bay area bullshit

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Chichevache posted:

I'm from the Bay Area and I didn't know that was a local tradition. Are you just hanging out with weirdos? Don't hang out with weirdos.

oh, right, sorry

wait, maybe I was just describing it strangely: you really have never seen or heard of someone all of a sudden, mid-conversation, deciding that they need to know the ethnicity of someone they're talking to? often with the questions:

• so, where are you from?
  • yeah, but where are you really from?
  • i mean, where is your family from?

if so, that's cool, but it's very common. sadly we are the weird ones for thinking it's weird.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Smiling Jack posted:

One of my coworkers just dealt with a familial sexual assault case. The perpetrator referred to it as "wincest".

the internet was a mistake

in court?! :stonk:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Stravag posted:

Who was the chick in cali who told highschoolers their opinions didnt matter to her because they didn't vote for her?

e: beaten, but here's the full original video

let's take a moment to remember how Diane Feinstein crawled into politics over Harvey Milk's corpse

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

...that was pelosi, wasn't it?

it's bad that we keep mixing them up, but I think pelosi deserves more of an apology for being mistaken for feinstein than vice-versa

e: reposting full video for new page. some friends of mine were behind the camera, god bless them.

dianne feinstein, retire madam

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 8, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

for people suffering from Epstein Brain with no desire to be cured, i recommend the podcast True Anon, half-hosted by former troop* and cool guy I trust Brace Belden

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Epstein was an asset and the trial was a national security risk...allegedly.

Can't wait to listen to the next ten episodes of True Anon, lean back and have my head ring and stomach turn with the sheer inhuman callous impunity of the ruling class.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

psydude posted:

the overwhelming majority are obviously victims deserving of compassion and help, but it's really hard to excuse those who rise to the ranks of leadership in those organizations and then orchestrate crimes against humanity.

as i understand it restorative justice was invented for situations like this. put the victims at the center and work towards what can be done, including by perpetrators, to help them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ghislaine also introduced Epstein to Trump! and the Clintons

Trump bought a boat from Ghislaine's father that he named after her, and before you say it sounds weird that a rich old pervert would name a pleasure yacht after his daughter, yeah, many people have though there was something going on there

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Where’d you get that quote from? Is it from a larger article? I’d like to read that article if you have it.

it's vicky ward's piece, iirc in the daily beast

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Was it not in this thread that I learned about special programs where people convicted of crimes go to work in assorted sweatshops for poo poo wages with horrific injury rates and if they quit, fire, or are unable to work due said injuries they get sent to jail, so they're desperate to do whatever their hosed-up poo poo supervisors say and hide the conditions of the job site? It's all a blur.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

liberals think sleeping with your cousin is terrible but killing your child is just fine!!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

:argh: obamaaaaa

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Torrannor posted:

That's seriously creepy, police should check Amazon HQ for hostages.

in a sense everyone who needs to work to live is being held hostage, though they can sometimes wrangle a change in the hostage-taker

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

one day mooore

another day, another tweet to read
this never-ending road of lies and greed

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

copchat in detainment thread, in case anyone else forgot

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Anti-semite is like "thug" now, right? Where it just means "muslim" or "black" instead of the real menaing?

almost, but jeremy corbyn is also anti-semitic, so it means "critical of the imperialist project"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

local current event: things are just fine

https://twitter.com/SamTLevin/status/1163178502905978880

https://twitter.com/SamTLevin/status/1163183189164056576?s=20

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

There used to be a landlord thread in BFC where goons traded tips & tricks for pulling poo poo like this and the meltdowns when they got called out on it were so great.

there's one in cspam now

i admit it's slightly different in content

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

sorry to spoil an old movie but neo dies at the end of Revolution

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

there was a matrix mmo that continued the plot from the movies for a while, as directed by the wachowskis. iirc the machines tell the humans that neo died but refuse to give back his body and morpheus (leading one in-game faction) keeps demanding to know what they're hiding. i assume the game shut down before anything was really developed or resolved, but i guess i shouldn't say more, lest it get used in a new film.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

woah, they tapped a Deathstalker alum! and people say this administration is light on experience!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

bird cooch posted:

Noooooooooooo. The level of vitriol or thinnly cloaked (if at all) racism, classisem, nationalism and other horrible -isems isnt even comparible.

i summarize it as a difference between punching up and punching down. i agree that both sides are using violent rhetoric for a kind of emotional group therapy, but the targets of one side are the people already facing the full violence and oppression of society, while the other side (e: which i consider myself on) bays for the blood of people who famously are at no risk of suffering consequences for anything.

for now, it's as much a joke and as little a serious threat to call for some billionaire be guillotined as it is to loudly hope they get hit by a falling meteorite.

e: not every leftist is only punching up, of course, you get plenty of people in this thread and every other one making GBS threads on poor and rural trump voters

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 21, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

To be clear. They get poo poo on because they're voting red in TYOOL 2019 and directly electing officials who are propping up the above billionaire class, not because they're poor/rural.

i get it, but these people didn't spring up from the ground to torment us, they've been betrayed by liberals and abusively miseducated by our hosed up culture. as an american i feel responsible for other americans, including ones that disgust me.

let me put it this way: the only purpose talking poo poo about them serves is making ourselves feel better by getting anger out. i don't criticize people for doing that, and i have done it myself, but we all grew up in a classist society and we all have stored away in our minds the classist insults we can use to spice up what we say about the people we hate for loving up our country, and i've seen them used plenty on SA.

the same is true for race and gender and i bet some other poo poo i forgot. it's a sickness we all have.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

https://twitter.com/caseytolan/status/1164352917056323584

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

I literally had a panic dream about Trump chasing and eating a pigeon.on live TV. Is this how crazy political cartoons get made? Where I put a bunch of labels on my anxieties on different pieces of the scene?

gently caress I need to sleep.

i swear to god if you lathe of heaven this poo poo on us...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Old Boot posted:

Yeah, I no-poo poo don't even know what to say to this.

i say Free Lula

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

they both have to go

death chooses us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the long term solution to poaching is to eliminate poverty in the effected countries, but in the meantime i guess put sanctions on countries that buy the products?

I recently learned that later drafts of the TPP had provisions about human trafficking removed because Malaysia has over a hundred thousand slaves and the straights of Malacca are right there, gotta break a few eggs to make sure capitalism can keep saving the world. As a result my view of sanctions, treaties, etc has further dimmed.