Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Buffalo Soldiers :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Post 9/11 GI Bill is the one exception.

Speaking of this, I have a close friend who told me he identifies as a republican (doesn't like Trump but sees himself as a Tom Nichols type)
recently because of this because that bill helped make him who he is, so therefore, he's a republican. I asked where he got that idea.

"Well it got passed by Bush."
"It was passed by and written by a Dem controlled Congress. I mean it was bipartisan bill but bush had no hand in it other than signing the final bill."
"Don't care!"

:negative:

His wife is pretty good at calling out his stupidity on this stuff but it's incredibly grating sometimes.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sacrist65 posted:

I feel like I know what the result will be, but you could try telling him that it was introduced by jim Webb (D-Vietnam) and was originally opposed by the guy selected to replace Bush, John McCain(R-Island owned by lobbyist) because of retention issues it would cause. Which is partially why it sat on the presidents desk for a year.

Oh I did.
"Jim Webb was a Marine bro, just like you, and his son was a Marine too, that's why he wrote and pushed for the bill."
"Nope, Bush!"

I love him to death but he's dumb as poo poo with this stuff sometimes and will also get very :smug: after reading any book (no matter how outdated) because he thinks it makes him more qualified than anyone else to speak on the subject. Because he read a book. One book.

Cognitive dissonance is a motherfucker.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sacrist65 posted:

does the book in question start with, "in the beginning god created heaven and the earth"?

I've lost a friend to the fox news/ Ben Shapiro bubble. He is a fireman with alot of free time to consume that poo poo and his brain broke when I said I voted for Hillary. It's all he talked about for like a year and a half . I didn't even like Hillary but that worldview was all consuming to him and i was some sort of enemy now. Its weird

Nah, that'd be the easy explanation. He'll read something that is arguably good (Steve Coll's Ghost Wars comes to mind) but then stops there and won't hear out that there are other journalists/academics with other takes on the subject. He's gotten better over the years in fairness. I told him he sounds like Tom Nichols at this point. I don't even think people like Shapiro are on his radar, and fortunately most of his bad takes extend to FP stuff like Nichols but domestic stuff he's pretty middle of the road.

In fairness, he doesn't bring this stuff up very often (if he did, I wouldn't hang around him) and he knows that I'm pretty far to the left and he's never given me poo poo for it nor tried to tell me my views are bad or dumb. I think I'm mostly just frustrated at watching a friend pretend the opposite of something is true despite clear evidence to the contrary.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

FAUXTON posted:

It's rad to see Bernie and Warren teaming up and I hope it results in them being the ticket in the general

:same:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hey bigdave you're good imo

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Does anyone know where his neighbor was?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

mlmp08 posted:

Eric Bradner (@ericbradner) Tweeted:
Beto O’Rourke on his way to his car was asked if there’s anything Trump can do now to make this better.

“What do you think? You know the poo poo he’s been saying. He’s been calling Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals. I don’t know, like, members of the press, what the gently caress?” https://t.co/zjLYf4mzBr https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/1158196171451576321?s=17

Was about to post this and...

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ok beto went up a point in my book now

Yep. If was half as honest like this on the debate stage, he'd be surging ahead.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Seriously, run for the loving Senate Beto. You want to inact change? Start there. It's not too loving late. gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

He's right, they should stop showing his rallies.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

And that neighbors name, Philip Morris.

I honestly have no idea if he smoked or not, but scar tissue on his lung from an assault over 2 years ago seems odd.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I didn't see it but apparently President Cheesebrain got the wrong city when he gave his remarks. Said Toledo.

:psyduck:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Casimir Radon posted:

Joe, please just drop out and dedicate your life to mocking Donnie. It would be a more honorable and useful use of your time.

This but Beto.

Run for senate Beto.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Oh good, I was legit bummed out thinking he was a chud since he pulled such a 180 with his drug abuse and seems like a crazy fun but genuinely nice guy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

colachute posted:

I’ve always held Mullen in pretty high regard.

Tell me why I’m an idiot for this.

:same:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Casimir Radon posted:

I really need to buy a house next year because I'm sick of throwing rent money down a black hole. I'm just afraid that the moment I do that the economy is really going to go down hard, and I'll be screwed.

Lol don't worry I just did it for you.

Though I bought in the DC metro area so that'll insulate things better than if I had bought elsewhere.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

How's the insulation against ss-18s?

I look forward to being either a super mutant or ghoul NPC in an upcoming Fallout game.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Wasabi the J posted:

gently caress you racist piece of poo poo and gently caress Israel.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

kill me now posted:

When impossible starts selling in grocery stores it will 100% replace ground beef for me.

Pretty much.

I had one a few weeks back and it was pretty good. I'm not going to say I'll never have ground beef ever again, but if I have the option, I'll likely go with the impossible.

And TBH, as much as I love steaks, I've moved more towards only eating it when I go out somewhere and even then it's like once every few months.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

A Bad Poster posted:

It reminds me of the stuff that the diamond lobby has gotten the government to make up about artificial and lab grown diamonds.

lol, wait what?

What are they saying?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah tofu when cooked right or with the right dish can be pretty good, but poo poo like tofurky is awful.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Fallom posted:

Vegans who frown on people for eating things that are supposed to resemble meat have been a thing forever dude

Yeah my sister is one of those. You'd think saying "Hey I'm moving over to a more plant based diet and it's cool there are ways to do it that make it more palatable for people who are life long meat eaters" would get you some kind of encouraging reaction instead of being called a shitlord for eating meat but :shrug:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Wonder Free posted:

Flying tonight at 0400 into it. 5 day forecasts are still not accurate enough - they can be off by 1-200 miles. That being said, it’s going to smack in the east coast of Florida somewhere, probably as a major.

It’s going to run through warm water and moist air as it crosses the Bahamas and nears the US, so it’ll intensify as it comes in.

By Friday the forecast should be pretty accurate. That same NHC page has charts that show the wind speed probability for your area and earliest possible arrival times of wind. Expect flooding and stuff as well.

NOAA is also one of those agencies that still doesn’t have an administrator. They tried to put up that accuweather guy that wanted to privatize the weather service for it, but I think he was involved in some “me too” stuff.

I know its been said but you have the coolest loving job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

GoGoGadget posted:

Why are Texans seemingly looking to threaten storm chasers with their guns?

Yeah this is like the third time I've seen someone say Texans hate stormchasers. Is there any real reason why or is it just "outsiders!"?