Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I made an interest check in the chat thread and it seems like we have interest in a Jackbox Party Pack game night, this could certainly become a weekly thing until we get bored for it, or be a one off because this is BYOB.

So let's start with what is this?

First I'm going to say it costs nothing to play, only the host needs to own the game. This is a game where you are supposed to put it on your TV and all your friends use cellphones to play, you can also use a web browser. It has seen more success in streaming it on Twitch.TV and they have really embraced Twitch even integrating support.

What do you need to play? Well someone needs to host a game, there's tons of public games at all times for you to join if you want to play and there isn't enough BYOB players around, or if you want to get a feel for the games before joining us (we don't bite! Just tell us it's your first game and we'll make sure you understand how to play and what the game expects)

For the vendor description here it is on steam Again you do NOT need this to play only to host. If you want to host you will need to figure out how to stream to Twitch.TV or some other streaming service so other players can see the main screen.

The most popular games (and the best for streaming) are in packs 3-5 (and 6 will probably be good when that comes out later this year).

There's a few types of games

Drawing -
Each pack has 1 drawing game you may be asked to make a T-shirt, or draw an invention that's a solution to a problem that another player came up with, or maybe you'll get an unfinished drawing from someone else for you to complete, it depends on the game.

Word Games -
Most of the games fall into this, you'll be asked to come up with something funny to fill in a blank there's a sub-genre of "lying" games where really really strange facts are given as On May 31st you can join people in the US and UK celebrating a holiday by putting _____ on your _____ Everyone fills in the blanks then everyone picks which one they think is correct. (I probably have the date wrong, but this is an example from a public game last night and the correct answer is pillow on your fridge, it was not put a bow-tie on your cat).

Mad Verse City -
I'm giving this game it's own category because it's so unique. It's a game you either love or you hate, I think BYOB can have some fun with it and not have it turn into I your mom jokes like every public game. You get asked for a verb noun whatever to fill in a mad lib the game gives you the line you completed. Then you write the second line making sure it rhymes and makes sense. You do this twice to write your rap for your rap battle. The goal of the game is to be funny be it's a rap battle so you are supposed to make yourself look awesome and the other player you are battling look like a fool, please don't drag actual drama into this game it's about having fun.

Trivia -
I'm not a fan of the You Don't Know Jack trivia. The other trivia games such as Murder Trivia Party have mini games or something else going on to keep them more interesting than "just straight up trivia" You Don't Know Jack is a good stream start though while you are waiting on players.

Interactive games -
There's generally 1 per pack, and they are pretty much unplayable with stream delay really fun in person though if you can get 8 people in a room you should try them (most of them are actually really fun with even just 4).

big stream games - these are newer but are becoming a standard 1 per pack there's currently 2 games designed around being different and supporting hundreds of players to really be good but also having default data to allow for a regular group of 8 to players.

Great I'm vaguely interested you say?

How do you play with BYOB? Well post ITT and we'll figure the day / time out and I'll figure out how to stream this poo poo. I'm hoping for the first game to be tonight or tomorrow night EST if we can get players. (08/02/19 or 08/03/19). I'll define night as 7PM EST or 23:00UTC (11PM UTC) I'm going to say minimum group count of 4

You will also need a https://twitch.tv account so you can log into https://jackbox.tv this is 100% free there is zero cost in playing.
You will need a way to watch a Twitch stream while also having access to a web browser. For drawing games I recommend a mouse but you can get away with a cellphone your lines just wont line up (it's okay, you can let us know you're on a phone. The idea isn't to make art, it's to be funny so just get your idea across). For word games a cellphone is perfect.

I actually prefer my cellphone for Monster Seeking Monster, it's super easy to just use a different device for different game types though.

Let's keep times UTC if possible when trying to figure out when to play, I need to figure out this streaming thing but I'm fairly certain it's going to be dead simple since I'm not looking to add a cam or even really a mic (unless people want to hear my dumb voice for some reason).

If this happens I'll take some screenshots and add them to the OP and make it look nice with BYOB pictures of examples of good play in each game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal

I'm US East Coast

I prefer a night game (so 23:00 UTC or later) and can do that pretty much any day of the week, 23:00 is pushing a bit on the early side some days so 23:30 or 24:00 (or is this 00:00?) might be more realistic for a blanket "I'm good" time.

So 23:30-04:00 UTC every night is my availability for this. I have zero interest in playing this every single night though! But hey maybe weekdays end up being better for people. I could make a day game work during weekend but that's going to get messy.

Currently looking to host something 8/2 or 8/3 (Today, Friday, or tomorrow, Saturday). Unless someone else really wants to host then they can instead and I'll just play.

sig by owlhawk911

shinmai

CHK Instruction
Can goons who own Jackboxen and reside in other timezones try and set-up games ITT for other peeps for whom 23:00 UTC is pushing dangerously deep into their beauty-sleep regimen? asking for a friend

Jaded Burnout

I'm going to have to back out at those times, I'm not really available for a start later than 21:00 UTC.

pixaal

shinmai posted:

Can goons who own Jackboxen and reside in other timezones try and set-up games ITT for other peeps for whom 23:00 UTC is pushing dangerously deep into their beauty-sleep regimen? asking for a friend

Go for it, as I said if it's mostly EU I can make the day work on the weekend easily enough. It's also why I thought Saturday would be a good day since people could play during the day / up later at night.

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

Also 23:00 is likely too early for West Coast so a US game would probably start closer to 01:00-02:00 UTC to include them. There's also no reason we couldn't have someone start an EU game east coast joins, EU goes to bed, east coast starts streaming and west coast joins them if we wanted a long continuous game.

That said I also expect maybe 1-2 hours is probably the goal of this per session.

sig by owlhawk911

FluffieDuckie

time zones :argh:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

shinmai

CHK Instruction
This is why we need Swatch Internet Time!

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
wow, 944.3 already

pixaal

Doesnt UTC already solve this problem and is in a more readable format?

shinmai

CHK Instruction

pixaal posted:

Doesnt UTC already solve this problem and is in a more readable format?

UTC is short for "Coordinated Universal Time", already making it suspicious, having it's letter in the wrong order, but more importantly, nowhere in there do I see the word INTERNET!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

I could do it during those times since I'm an evening worker and am usually up until the AMs

Jaded Burnout

shinmai posted:

UTC is short for "Coordinated Universal Time", already making it suspicious, having it's letter in the wrong order, but more importantly, nowhere in there do I see the word INTERNET!

The answer to this is, as always, the French.

Also, I'm coincidentally up late tonight if the USA one is still running.

pixaal

Not a lot of people chimed in but a few people did show interest so here's a twitch channel, delay seems really good audio is almost perfectly in sync between my computer and my phone with Wifi turned off watching the stream. Let me know if it's a stuttery mess I opted for quality and am streaming at 1440p60fps, which is certainly overkill. I have all 5 packs (It will take all of 60 seconds to setup a different game it was super quick after I figured it out.

Currently it's 23:30 UTC
https://www.twitch.tv/imahorriblepancakemonster

I'm going to give it until 23:45 before I start any games if people do show up, if not I'll keep an eye in the thread just post if you want to play and hopefully we can get at least 4 people to play you really need at least 4, and really at least 6 for a proper game. Full 8 is nice.

You will need a twitch account, or I guess you don't but you do to talk. I'm not using tags and I've never streamed before so the chances of randoms is extremely low so I'm not going to bother forcing twitch login for jackbox.tv, but you really should because chat is going to be a fun place

sig by owlhawk911

shinmai

CHK Instruction
I'm still at my all-weekend-nerdfest so I'm down to jack until I fall asleep probs

thanks Matoi Ryuko :love:

pixaal

I think we have 3 people so far, which is enough to start a game so get in I have a game lobby open ready to join I'll start in a few minutes with whatever we have but the games are quick and you can always join the audience while you wait and vote.

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

I apparently have a Twitch account and I'm around now, how do I log in? there's some sort of room code?

ty nesamdoom!

shinmai

CHK Instruction
just hop on the stream with the link

the code is on the screen in the stream and you enter it at jackbox.tv

Papa Was A Video Toaster

that's a lot of text i might read later, but i am familiar with jacks box. i have work starting Sunday evening so anytime tonight or tomorrow is cool with me. I'm at UTC -7

pixaal

TVsVeryOwn posted:

that's a lot of text i might read later, but i am familiar with jacks box. i have work starting Sunday evening so anytime tonight or tomorrow is cool with me. I'm at UTC -7

We just wrapped up tonight's game. People didn't really show up until 00:00 and kind of felt done around 01:00 UTC, would 00:00 UTC work for people tomorrow night? That puts it at 8PM EST and 5PM PST

If people do show up later tonight and want to play I can also start another one tonight, or someone else can host one or whatever.

I didn't take screenshots like I said I was going to but I also learned I can press the 3 lines on the website and click past games and view things so I can do them later now.

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

and yes I'm aware it's a wall of text, but I also wanted to give people a general idea of what Jackbox games are because I need to tell them why they should play. and they do need screenshots, I just wanted to use BYOB ones.

sig by owlhawk911

Jaded Burnout

I fell asleep before it started :(

I'll bow out of the next one, I can't do midnight.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i have a discord that I use to play things like jackbox with friends and voice chat i could PM the link to people who are interested

pixaal

Based on last night 2 hours until game unless people want to start now. Happy to do whatever it's even more fun with more people.

I don't want to dictate times but no one else is throwing times out there.

pixaal

I'm live if people were hoping to play tonight, it will be a fun time.

okay maybe not happening tonight.

If you want a different time say so but if not 00:00 UTC 08/09/19 post if you plan on coming.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 4, 2019

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

Tonight at 00:00 UTC (8PM EST / 5PM PST) is the plan for tonight, I can start an hour or two earlier if there's interest but everyone seemed to show up around 00:00 last week so let's go with that for a starting point. Also if you have a preference for game(s), though that can happen at stream easy enough as well.

How about tomorrow Saturday 08/10/19 I had something come up, if someone else can host you guys can do it without me sorry

pixaal fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 10, 2019

sig by owlhawk911

LethalGeek

pixaal posted:

Tonight at 00:00 UTC (8PM EST / 5PM PST) is the plan for tonight, I can start an hour or two earlier if there's interest but everyone seemed to show up around 00:00 last week so let's go with that for a starting point. Also if you have a preference for game(s), though that can happen at stream easy enough as well.

I am sad I can't get in cause i'm at work

....lol you have this function on?

Waste of space.

pixaal

Would tomorrow / Saturdays work better for more people? I pulled this time out of my rear end. I want the most people playing whatever time that is.

pixaal

Sorry it's last minute, I'm not going to be able to host tonight, if someone else can please do so without me, if not I'll plan on it for 00:00 tomorrow night. Or some other time earlier if people prefer that. We got a much better turn out last week than thread activity would imply.

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

I'm live if people want to play some games tonight

sig by owlhawk911

nut

finally an outlet for my highly original drawings of weiners

Heather Papps

hello friend

bee eater posted:

finally an outlet for my highly original drawings of weiners

i have been trying to figure out yer av, thank you for elucidating

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

pixaal

Can also make puns, also I don't think we've had any dick drawings in the BYOB streams which is refreshing since public games are all dick drawings.

sig by owlhawk911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

well now i feel attacked