Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
I find that the original Myst, all the way back from 1993, still scratches an itch

More recently, Rain World really blew me away in terms of both atmosphere and aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4C9OmRJt7E

LA Noire had some bad gameplay mechanics but did a great job of placemaking, and I really would like a Chicago or New Orleans Noire.

If I had to pick one though, I can't go past the Silent Hill franchise. The original PS1 version did admirably in setting the fog-shrouded atmosphere, but the limitations of the hardware prevented it from really reaching its potential. The PS2 games, especially SH2, really did an amazing job in establishing mood, atmosphere and aesthetics. Can't wait to see any potential future titles in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Chrono Cross, for all of its issues, always had a kickass vibe. I am the island boy, and gee golly these time/space/dimension shenanigans are messin with the surf.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors

APE OUT

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Psychonauts 2

Untitled Goose Game

Disco Elysium

Gravity Rush

Tearaway

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Wandersong

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 3, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Longest Journey:

I only played it for the first time recently but it does a wonderful diversity of pre-rendered locations. Aesthetically reminds me of the also sure to be posted FF8 (Balamb Garden is the best)

Killer7: (The music and visuals go together like a fever dream of perfect incoherence)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

big fan of hollow knight op. lots of bugs, very haunting

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I could straight up just ride a horse around Ghost of Tsushima's Golden Forest and be awed every time.

fat frog
Nov 22, 2021

fat fuck frog
i love the look of old tf2 maps

i also just picked up hyper light drifter which has very good visuals and atmosphere

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

PS2 Shadow of the Colossus really nailed the atmosphere, with a pervasive sense of isolation and loneliness punctuated by the boss fights. Remake making the whole place more verdant doesn't quite hit the same.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Final Fantasy 6 has a cool renaissance italy steampunk thing that barely comes through in the pixel art, but the concept art is insane. Everything and everyone is draped in a hundred pounds of the gaudiest silk and velour, and the architecture is crazy overwrought, like if Rococo designers had antigravity and access to unlimited power generated by the souls of slaughtered gods. I would love a full 3d remake just to go around looking at everything

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've been playing Baroque for the PS1, which recently got an english patch. It's an action roguelike, takes a lot from mystery dungeon games. It's pretty slow and clunky, all you can really do is trade hits with a lot of enemies. It's mostly carried by atmosphere and just how weird it all is. You start the game in a blasted city, get handed a big gun by an angel, and are told to descend to the bottom of the tower to kill god. The guts of said tower have the look of a rusted up, abandoned factory. The enemies are inexplicable. Every npc you meet babbles incoherent nonsense at you. Most of the soundtrack is just oppressive industrial noise.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 5, 2022

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Control

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Control did exactly what it intended to perfectly, and I love brutalist architecture like that in person, but I did not want to spend any more time in there after I finished the main story stuff. Too ominous. Way more of a "place that should be busy but is unnaturally, uncomfortably empty" feel than any Bioshock game.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Xenoblade was the first jrpg series to really "get" open world design and even with the third game (fourth if you count X) it's still amazing to just wander around the vast expansive landscapes and get in fights with oversized frogs and hawks and robots.

Bonus for when you encounter the requisite over-levelled massive gorilla by accident early on (every Xenoblade has this) and get your poo poo wrecked while awesome guitar riffs play.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

sudonim posted:

Xenoblade was the first jrpg series to really "get" open world design and even with the third game (fourth if you count X) it's still amazing to just wander around the vast expansive landscapes and get in fights with oversized frogs and hawks and robots.

Bonus for when you encounter the requisite over-levelled massive gorilla by accident early on (every Xenoblade has this) and get your poo poo wrecked while awesome guitar riffs play.

You are usually wiped out right as that opening riff does the guitar dive bomb. Every loving time.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010
Ghostwire Tokyo is a passably entertaining game but the ~vibes~ are immaculate. Wandering around fake-Shibuya on a rainy night has never been more compelling.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Nuclear Throne has some sick atmosphere throughout, but the music in Area 7 (the Palace) is loving amazing. Every area before this has had some sort of rockin' tune, but here you are in the worst place ever, fighting giant invincible laser dogs, and all you get is this eerie ambience of guitars being tuned up in dead silence... and then it goes the gently caress off, usually right as you're getting into a stride and realizing you're about to make it to the Throne.

And then this is the boss music.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Until Dragon Quarter, the Breath of Fire series has always had really well done sprite based graphics. Breath of Fire 4 in particular continued to use them even while most other major RPG series had transitioned to using 3D models. Compared to other games in the series the game had a more focused aesthetic and used a more muted color palette for the sprites and environments than the other games in the series. A lot of the dungeons involved exploring woods or coastlines and a big portion of the game's story involved interacting with natural forces and mysterious spirits. A lot of areas had a quiet meditative feel and reminded me a lot of the anime Mushishi. I think anyone who's a fan of that anime should give it a look.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
I really love the art direction of the Dishonored games.

Hotline Miami is good for when I want my brain to feel weird.

Dragon Age II got a lot of flack for reusing maps, and that isn’t wrong, but I do like a lot of the maps. Would love to have a house on the Wounded Coast.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Front Mission 1st

https://youtu.be/fv9ohxBktio

Into the Breach

https://youtu.be/0cpS2aHA2Tw

Isometric mech battles with great pixel art and some really catchy music.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 7, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Every second of Jet Set Radio and Jet Set Radio Future is mood and vibe.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

Final Fantasy 6 has a cool renaissance italy steampunk thing that barely comes through in the pixel art, but the concept art is insane. Everything and everyone is draped in a hundred pounds of the gaudiest silk and velour, and the architecture is crazy overwrought, like if Rococo designers had antigravity and access to unlimited power generated by the souls of slaughtered gods. I would love a full 3d remake just to go around looking at everything

yoshi amano also did a bunch of artwork for Front Mission 1st, which I kinda love

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I can't accept amano concept art without a dozen layers of draped silk, painting that must have been painful

There's not even a single tassel anywhere

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Also count me down for Tokyo-To from the Jet Set Radio games, I wanna zoom around Sky Dinosaurian Square so bad.

The Oldest House from Control as well, love that brutalist nightmare chic.

And lastly…Sevastopol Station from Alien: Isolation. I adore everything about the place except, er, the hostile organisms and murderous robots.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Cyberpunk 2077. Night City is amazing.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There was just something about the dreamcast. Like they knew they couldn't do realistic 3D yet so they went for style instead

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

your post reminded me that the dreamcast also had one of the best looking ARPGs ever in Elemental Gimmick Gear and its hand drawn backgrounds

fun game too, really deserves an HD rerelease

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Not enough video games take advantage of the fact that in a digital world, the environment can look like whatever the hell you want. You're not bound by having to resemble the real world at all.

El Shaddai takes this to heart.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

flavor.flv posted:

There was just something about the dreamcast. Like they knew they couldn't do realistic 3D yet so they went for style instead

The sunny San Francisco-ish city from Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast seemed like it would be a really good place to chill. (If not for, y'know, the insane taxi drivers.)

Going back a generation, the original Tomb Raider and the Fear Effect games on PS1 (which I've been replaying recently) have really immersive atmospheres. TR1 was involving in a way none of the other games in the series have been, because for the most part Lara had all these vast, interesting, long-abandoned spaces to herself, and there was no handholding or clues; you had to work out for yourself where to go and what to do. The Fear Effects, meanwhile, slam together cyberpunk and Chinese mythology, and somehow it works. The late-90s CG backgrounds at times appear almost painted, a combination of the low resolution and the rendering software of the time, but because they're also animated they have a unique look. The aqueducts at the start of FE2 could have just been generic tunnels, but instead they're full of giant gears slowly grinding away, shimmering water reflections and decades of grime and jury-rigged repair work laid upon each other.

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
Phantasy Star Online, but specifically the Pioneer 2 and Forest

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dreamcast games just had a vibe all their own. I think a lot of Sonic Team projects must have used a similar synth profile because there's a particular dreamy quality to their soundtracks that is so instantly recognizable.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The original Mirror's Edge super sterile look is really cool:

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst went a different direction, but I like it a lot as well:

I love these games.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 9, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Been thinking about giving Hyper Light Drifter another playthrough, I really dig the juxtaposition of bright neon colors and a badly ruined and dilapidated world, with a great synthwave soundtrack to connect them-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWufEJ1Ava0

flavor.flv posted:

It's so good

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Morrowind. Bugs, volcanic wastes, horrific ash storms and significantly worse horrific ash storms, a city district inside a big dead crab, and most of the inhabitants are racist elves that hate you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1545213854321446912

baroque for the ps1 has the best atmosphere ive ever seen in a game

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Phoneposting so I don't have pictures, but Umurangi Generation is a very cool game about taking photos with your friends in some chill locales, but also there might be some trouble brewing maybe. It has vibes for days, PS1-adjacent aesthetics, very chill game about hunting down interesting things to document and upgrading your camera with cool new lenses. Until it stops being chill.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Abzu

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool stuff! Nice to see the Dreamcast as always, magical for sure.

The MGS series always has aesthetics and atmosphere that do it for me. Figured I'd post MGS4, one of my favs, and probably a less easy to sell one here. Something about the vibe, and the mixture of MGS classic level design with a little more detail and that particular style of cinematic direction. It just really draws me in. It's de-saturated and desolate a bit, as was in at the time, but it really fits the narrative of the world. And it captures my imagination there. Just a cool vibe. Here are some caps from youtube:

Another game I love the aesthetic and vibe of is Duke Nukem 3D. Just a great abstract bit surreal mix of Doom era stuff with more real world inspired stuff like movie theaters, streets, caves, and whatnot. Lots of hidden secret areas, things to jump on and explore, just a great unique type of atmosphere.

(this screen from the newer World Tour version)

And because it's always in style, some Super Mario 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Seconding Crazy Taxi, which -- I mean, you're driving top-down through a vibrant city on a gorgeous day. Folks are at the beach, attending church, going to a sportsball game ... um, shopping at Tower Records ... it's just a very comfy vibe, you want to live there.

Special mention, though, to Okami and its world of vibrant brushwork. You're running around in a painting and making it even prettier.