Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

What is Onimusha
Much like Genji this takes place in ancient Japans where you fight in battles that ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Well, sorta, but not really. The names might be the same but overall they're entirely different. Though, in order to make these more realistic they did take figures in the Sengoku Jidai period of Japan. They even used real life actors for the main characters of the series!

But let's go into "What is Onimusha" it's at best a survival horror game set in feudal Japan. The long and short of it is this takes place during Nobunaga's take over of Japan, or unification efforts depending on who you talk to. Much like other games that portray him, Nobunaga is a demon. (I'm still trying to figure out why this is. Most of the stuff I've seen about Nobunaga seems to make him a fairly decent person given the timeframe he came from) And we have to prove that we're a bad enough Samurai to rescue the princess. Did I mention there's a princess here? Well you better believe there is! What kind of Samurai game would this be without a princess? Not a very good one I'd argue.

So why Let's Play?
I LOVE the first Onimusha a lot, and don't ask me why but I never did get the others... UNTIL NOW~ But we're going to deal with those when they come around. This is specifically about Onimusha 1. There's so much about this game that was really engrossing to me as a kid and honestly still is. The hidden techniques, to the boss fights, and the world they've built it's just super enjoyable and I can play it forever.

Spoiler Policy
It's close to 20 years old. I mean it's probably known, but that being said don't spoil things that happen in later games. Sure the story is fairly predictable but I feel like the most fun is just experiencing the game together.

Videos

My life as an Onimusha

We won't get bossed around

A Puzzling Predicament

It's a TRAP!!!

Naruto Run for Justice

Something Bugging Us

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Nobunaga was very ruthless in a pragmatic way and he was responsible for a couple of particularly bloody massacres (even for its time), including setting fire to a whole (holy) mountain to kill all the warrior monks that inhabited the temple built on top of it after they proved to be an especially painful thorn in his side and previous conventional assaults ended poorly for his forces.
I imagine that is why he was not particularly loved by the rest of Japan and why he was further demonized over the years regardless of any virtues he had as a military and political leader for that time period.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

radintorov posted:

Nobunaga was very ruthless in a pragmatic way and he was responsible for a couple of particularly bloody massacres (even for its time), including setting fire to a whole (holy) mountain to kill all the warrior monks that inhabited the temple built on top of it after they proved to be an especially painful thorn in his side and previous conventional assaults ended poorly for his forces.
I imagine that is why he was not particularly loved by the rest of Japan and why he was further demonized over the years regardless of any virtues he had as a military and political leader for that time period.

Plus, well, he (probably sarcastically) called himself a literal demon king, which didn't help.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Junpei posted:

Plus, well, he (probably sarcastically) called himself a literal demon king, which didn't help.

I do know that. He basically hated the monks and that particular religious sect. He just wanted to drive home that point.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Are you planning on playing through Dawn of Dreams, since you mentioned you acquired the others?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Are you planning on playing through Dawn of Dreams, since you mentioned you acquired the others?

That's the hope. I'm still struggling through Onimusha 2 right now and the "buddy system" thing... I'm wondering if doing to romancing is even worth it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:japan: Update :japan:

We won't get bossed around

I should state this ISN'T the PS4 version which has better controls and the Issen has a bigger window on.

That being said we're now onto our first boss, which to be honest is kind of a chump with magic. Magic is extraordinarily powerful in this game. It gives you I-frames as well as deals TONS OF DAMAGE. In later games they've nerfed it to the point of almost uselessness. More so when they made bosses able to be issened.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God the awkward Resident Evil controls and puzzles is really throwing me for a loop when combined with the swordfighting.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SSNeoman posted:

God the awkward Resident Evil controls and puzzles is really throwing me for a loop when combined with the swordfighting.

Onimusha 1 is like a bridge between Resident Evil and what became Devil May Cry 1.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

They really improved it in the PS4 version. You could tank control it or just have full 360 movement. I might show off some of the differences.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wonder how ill fare with an onimusha issen-only run now that ive gone through Sekiro.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wonder how ill fare with an onimusha issen-only run now that ive gone through Sekiro.

I'd recommend the PS4 version for that because of the bigger timing.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

radintorov posted:

Junpei posted:

He didn't just burn down just any temple--he burned down Enryaku-ji on Mount Hiei, one of the oldest and most sacred temples in Japanese Buddhism. To give you an idea of how mind-blowing this was, imagine if a Catholic lord burned down St. Peter's Basilica in the 1500s because a monastic order kept attacking his armies. That's the level of ruthlessness that we're dealing with here, and Nobunaga was definitely as ruthless in his other campaigns. Also, pretty much everyone agrees that Nobunaga was an rear end in a top hat on a personal level, to the point that his assholery may have motivated Akechi Mitsuhide to assassinate him. And though many of his nonconformist traits look very good from a modern standpoint, by the standards of his era his behavior was so bizarre that it earned him the nickname "the Fool of Owari" as a teenager, and quite a few family retainers initially wanted to give the throne to his younger brother Nobuyuki. His behavior literally drove his mentor to suicide.

Having said that, I do feel like I need to say a few words on the behalf of my man Nobunaga. The problem with the warrior monks did not start with the Ikko-ikko sect that was fighting Nobunaga--the Buddhist monasteries were causing havoc before the shogunate system was even properly established. Historically, Japanese Buddhism was unusually militaristic. Major temples like Enryaku-ji held quite a bit of political and military power, and they were more than happy to flex their muscles whenever the secular government did something that angered them. For example, the Tale of the Heike epic depicts armies of warrior monks storming Kyoto with their sacred palanquins whenever they felt insulted--and the soldiers guarding Kyoto are too afraid to fire upon them, in case an arrow hits a palanquin. This kind of bullshit happened regularly in medieval Japan. Nobunaga's suppression of the Ikko-ikki was incredibly ruthless--I'm pretty sure he burned at least one other major monastery--but it also permanently broke the back of the warrior monk armies. From that point onward, the Buddhist establishment were completely subservient to the secular government. And despite his reputation for assholery, Nobunaga is also remembered for loving deeply; his relationship with Mori Ranmaru was legendary for its intensity, and legend says that he was heartbroken when his beloved concubine Kitsuno died in childbirth. He also dedicated a temple to his mentor's memory. When he ended up warring with his brother-in-law Azai Nagamasa, he went out of his way to make sure that his sister O-ichi and her daughters survived the siege of Nagamasa's castle. O-ichi went on to marry Shibata Katsuie, who had initially sided with Nobuyuki during the succession dispute, but was spared by Nobunaga and eventually became one of his greatest generals.

tl;dr Oda Nobunaga was a pretty complicated guy who did both wonderful and hella hosed-up things.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How accurate is the depiction of Nobunaga in Nobunaga's Chef?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
From what I've seen of it, it seems pretty good? It's been a long time since I read it and I didn't get very far into the manga, but from what I recall, he's written as a ruthless, intelligent guy who is more than willing to break any convention if need be. And he was famously interested in Western culture, albeit for purely pragmatic (read: not religious) reasons. I've seen a lot of historians arguing over Nobunaga's character (caveat: I'm a history buff, not a full-blown academic), but "ruthless, smart, iconoclastic, interested in the West" is stuff that everyone agrees on.

This is just my two cents, but I think one of the difficulties people have when looking at historical figures is judging whether they're "good" or "bad." But the farther back you get in history, the harder it becomes to impose your morality. Cyrus the Great is famous for being a kind and tolerant ruler--but he was kind and tolerant by the standards of his time. I'm sure he still ordered horrible massacres, tortures, etc. because that's what you did to keep the peace in a large, multi-everything empire full of scheming satraps in those days. Chinggis Khan, on the other hand, is rightfully remembered as a conqueror so monstrous that he sounds like a natural disaster (the man slaughtered so many people that he seems to have impacted the carbon output of the entire species). But he was incredibly tolerant as well. He incorporated defeated enemies into his domain without holding their cultures or faiths against them, he ran his government and army as a meritocracy, and he encouraged the spread of learning, culture, and trade. Fighting the Horde was a fantastic way to die horribly, but the Mongol Empire was probably a pretty good place to live under the Khan of Khans.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I just know Nobunaga & Ranmaru Mori are badass as heck in the Samurai Warriors games. Ranmaru in SW1 in particular. “This body is a sword, this place a burial ground. Those who wish to die, come forth!”

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I almost forgot what day it was today.

A Puzzling Predicament

So it's really living up to the Resident Evil in warring Japan with some more puzzles! Most of these are pretty easy or trial and error which I guess is an okay thing because of how easy it is to get health from enemies.

Also I'm totally loving all this Nobunaga discussion! It's really bringing a light into him as a person and politics at the time it's all so fascinating.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's a TRAP!!!

We're in for a gameplay change! That's right we're not just playing as the Titular Onimusha. Nope we get to be ninja side-kick as well!

Also sorry for the late update. My computer died and I had to get a new one and get back to updating everything as I had it. (Still missing some key features but oh well)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So who is the creepy guy trying to get Sanosuke to join the Oda clan? I never really caught his name.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure it's Hideyoshi Toyotomi, an Oda retainer who, in the real world, took over after Nobunaga died and was the warlord well actually united Japan and ended the Warring States period. He didn't last long though, and died shortly after, ceding his position to Ieyasu Tokugawa, another former Oda retainer.

Take this with a grain of salt, because it's all sort of half-remembered.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Main character dude has a real Brendan Frasier kinda look to him.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Naruto Run for Justice

I'm so sorry for the long update delays. I have no real excuse outside of setting up my new computer took longer than expected and getting a refund from Cyperpower was a pain in the rear end.

In this episode we're finishing up the first part of Kaede's appearance. Oh you better believe she's coming back with a vengeance soon enough.

So on the weird creepy dude they don't actually say who he is in this game. At least not that I remember, but considering they do use real life people for a lot of the onimusha games, I'm going with what Commander Keene says, he's more than likely a retainer for Nobunaga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Something Bugging Us

I SWEAR TO GOD I'm not dead. I'm just really exhausted most of the time

This video we're moving forward to get access to that door. You know the door. The door where everyone was taken. The door we must go through to rescue everyone who was taken.