Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Am I weird for not hating the album title? Like, what’s bad about it? It’s a bunch of nonsense just like Lateralus or Aenima but it’s squarely on brand for them.

The title track is a pretty bland parody of a Tool song but I agree with whoever said the other two songs sound pretty good. I only liked about half the songs on 10,000 days and thought the title track(s) off that were the worst on the album, so my expectations are pretty tempered. High school me is still somewhere inside me and is excited for this album because I haven’t been excited for an album release in like a decade and I just want to try to get hyped for something I guess. I want to see if these old farts still have an ounce of inspiration left in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

One thing I dig about the song is that the main riff at the beginning is in 4/4, then it switches up later to be the same riff with a 3/8 tag on the end (basically making it an 11/8 variation). Some of the musical ideas are derivative of their old stuff but there’s enough interesting stuff going on to keep my interest.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Glad the reviews are good but I don’t really like that all the songs seem to be 10+ minutes, featuring extended jam sessions. My suspicion was that the album will be full of wanky, noodling jam sessions and welp that’s what it sounds like. Comparisons to Grateful Dead are not encouraging even in an overwhelmingly positive review.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

What are you guys talking about? I’m legitimately naive about this. Can you point to a specific point in a recording?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-ERheCn6A

2:43 in Vicarious for example, listen with decent headphones and you can hear a static-y noise in Danny's drum fill. That's audio clipping.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Interesting. I can’t pick that up at all. Congrats on your excellent hearing :)

I'd rather be in your position because it's one of those things where once you hear it, it bugs you every time.

E: CCT owns, it reminds me of B'Boom off of King Crimson's THRAK

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 26, 2019

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I love Culling Voices, it’s so different from their usual style but tonally really interesting. I’m glad they were willing to experiment a bit on this album.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Jambi is one of the best songs they’ve written, but 10k Days is still my third favorite album pre-Fear Inoculum. I like a lot of the other songs on 10k Days but the title track really drags down the album for me. I’m not ready to rank Fear Inoculum yet but I like every song on it so that immediately puts it in the running for me as equal or better than Aenima (nothing will ever top Lateralus).

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

echinopsis posted:

And Forty Six & 2 pretty much created a new genre

How do you mean

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah I like Rick Beato even though sometimes he talks like he’s teaching a 6th grade recorder class

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Lol Target just informed me that I’m not getting the cd until 9/12, gently caress them. I guess I’m just happy I was able to preorder a physical copy at all.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

My local Tool show is a festival they're playing with basically every popular 90's white boy rock group you can think of, seemingly specifically tailored to white guys in their mid-30s to 40s. I won't be in town for it but it wouldn't be my preferred venue to see them anyway.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

il_cornuto posted:

The title track is easily the best thing about 10,000 days. They might be known for playing with time signatures and being an "intellectual" band but Tool have always been at their best when some emotion comes through IMO, which is probably why I like Aenima the best. 10,000 days actually being about something personal instead of philisophical musings on the failings of mankind makes it hit a lot harder.

See I kind of think the same thing but have a different conclusion about the quality of the song. My problem with the song is that the emotion of the music doesn’t match the emotion of the lyrical and thematic content. It’s bland, repetitive, and just doesn’t deliver the visceral impact that so many of their other songs have. It should be a killer song, one of their most soaring epics, yet it’s kind of a dud musically. This might have something to do with their songwriting process, Maynard just comes along at the end and lays down lyrics on songs that were already written without any particular theme in mind. A more collaborative approach might have resulted in a more fitting song. I like every other song on the album but those two tracks were such a disappointment that it drags the whole album down. It’s below FI in my ranking.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Tool fans are weird.*

*see also: fan edits of albums that are already really good

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Fear Inoculum debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, beating Taylor Swift and confusing a bunch of teens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Cqbk9CJz8

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Wasn’t there talk of music videos for this album? I thought Adam teased that they’d be coming but I can’t remember where I heard that.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Lol that is the weirdest fuckin move I’ve ever seen. There’s like a minute left in the song and it’s the heavy climax but he gathers up his belongings and awkwardly comes all the way to the front of the stage to wave a few times and shuffle off. It’s not even like he wanted to get out of the spotlight and let the rest of the band finish out the song, he did it in the most distracting way possible. That’s some really amateur level showmanship, gently caress paying hundreds of dollars for tickets to a Tool show.

E: the last time I saw them was right after 10k Days and it was a really underwhelming experience, and I pretty much wrote off ever going to another tool show at that time. I was reconsidering maybe seeing them again sometime due to the new album but it seems like it’s the same old :effort: type show so nah.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 23, 2019

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I dunno, I like Fear Inoculum. I think it’s better than 10,000 days at least. I do miss the days when they made shorter songs though. My favorite album is Lateralus, which I think has a good mix of shorter and longer concepts. It also feels like their most well thought out and consistent album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

God dammit Danny, I thought you were cool

https://loudwire.com/tool-danny-carey-first-court-date-alleged-assault/

quote:

Not long after the initial report came out, TMZ published video of Carey repeatedly using a homophobic slur while engaged in the altercation with a male airport employee.