Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Nail Rat posted:

The best way for them to combat scalpers would be to play multiple nights in every city. The tickets for Chicago are a little under twice face value on stubhub right now. If they were playing two shows, the incentive to scalp would be minimal at best and you'd end up with only legit resales (I don't think I've ever made money on tickets I've resold, but sometimes poo poo comes up and you just can't go).

They're playing two shows in LA and when I logged on late, the resale prices were minimum $300 per ticket for the nosebleed, worst seats in the arena. I have no idea what they started at but I thought that seemed high. Certainly higher than I would pay for anything but maybe a farewell tour, and definitely higher than I would be willing to pay for a tour supporting this record. I would have liked to see them with Killing Joke opening.

I read an article a while back that profiled a pioneer of the commercial ticket-scalping industry, and a major point that the guy made was that if these companies were successful reselling tickets for such high prices, then they weren't priced correctly in the first place. Which sucks, because that means the average fan gets priced out of the opportunity to see their favorite bands, and the only solution seems to be for bands to do multiple runs per city, which I don't think is very feasible- a lot of groups will do the 2 shows a night thing, but I don't know if goes far enough to fix the issue; I've known a lot of people willing to pay for both shows, especially when bands like Metallica have a habit of playing different setlists on those two nights.

I guess personalized, fanclub sales might help but I'm also not paying a band 50 bucks for the privilege of just getting in line. My major concert-going years were pre-internet ticket sales. I can't imagine what it's like for kids growing up today, I never would have been able to afford a show the way it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I just looked at one of my tickets from the Aenima era and it was $17.50, which the internet tells me would be about $28 now. That was my favorite era in terms of live show.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Well I would only expect a band's ticket price to go up as they get more successful, and I just looked up the original sale prices for this tour, which appear to range between about $60-140, that seems more or less ok. It's the secondary market that seems outrageous and Tool isn't making that money.

What do Maynard's side gigs go for nowadays? I think the last time I saw him was with Puscifer ten years ago, and they didn't even sell out the venue.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

LifeSunDeath posted:

Puscifer's got a lotta overhead on this brick and mortar

I would much rather see Volto than Puscifer.

I enjoyed Puscifer live more than the last Perfect Circle show I went to. I think I've seen APC three times? During the last one, which was in a gym at UNH, Maynard berated the audience for not dancing, and proceeded to lie down and sing one song on his back.

I always wondered how his shops actually do- Jerome is a tourist stop, I don't know how much traffic it gets during the year, but I imagine a good number of people passing through stop in for the wine without knowing anything about Maynard. It's not like there's a ton of other places to hang out or eat and drink, I think maybe two other places? The Puscifer store has the barber shop, the records, and other poo poo that tourists who don't know what Puscifer is might pick up. They also package mail orders there. Real estate isn't particularly pricey in Jerome, I wonder if he just owns the buildings outright.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Lots of little weird places like that in Arizona, I hope to move back in retirement. Not sure if I'd want to commit to Jerome 24/7 though.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Grudgerm posted:

I feel weird about saying this but I don’t think Tool has progressed much since Lateralus.

I don't think that's a weird take.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

How was Killing Joke?

Seconding this, I haven't managed to get to a Killing Joke show for 16 years.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Happy Hippo posted:

Is Paul D'Amour's stuff any good? I've never listened to Lusk and I thought Replicants was okay at best (all covers anyway) and he apparently did some stuff called Feersum Ennjin that I've never heard either. I remember in high school I thought Tool were the new Led Zeppelin in terms of mystique and in that I thought that none of the members could ever be replaced. Clearly I was dead wrong, but their sound had a dramatic change after he left, almost like he was holding them back. But his bass sound had a lot to do with their early sound.

I got a free copy of the Lusk album 20 years ago, listened to it once and shelved it. But I was super into heavy music to the exclusion of other stuff, I can't remember it well enough to say whether it was good or not for what it was. It was poppy and definitely not like Undertow.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I liked a few of the tracks on Eat the Elephant, but they were definitely not in the same musical space anymore.

On the other hand I found nothing on the most recent Puscifer album to be that compelling, I listened to it a few times after it came out and shelved it.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BigHandsVince posted:

I checked the Boston poster mentioned above, sold prices on the US were $500 and up. The signed one that sold was over $1000.

I found a bunch of Clutch posters I had bought years ago that were still in the tubes, rare now apparently, sold them and made enough to get a whole new entertainment setup.

Little weird collector niches are all over the place now.

Where did you sell? I've got a bunch of poo poo from the 90s that I might be able to move.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
The rest of Tool came out for the finale of the Sessanta show tonight at the Hollywood Bowl to play Aenima for the second to last song.

I actually liked the format of this show a lot, 3 songs by one band then another comes on, no long breaks while one band has to change out their gear for another's.

Vinyl sold out before I could get one, anyone know if they're selling the EPPP anywhere else or is it tour only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Didn't know there was a page just for this tour, thanks so much!