Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

I want to see the reactions of the Johnny and Lucy in the other dimensions as their Valentine just goes "hold up imma be right back" and then vanishes underground.

God, yeah, I don't think the absurdity of it hit me the first time I read the chapter. Just dimension after dimension of Johnny and Lucy witnessing Valentine screaming and flailing all over the place for seemingly no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Those Valentines were probably screwed too since they didn't have D4C, presumably making them just A Dude.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

BaDandy posted:

Interesting that at least one of the Johnnys had Tusk Act 2. :tinfoil:

in that world they were fighting over the Arrow maybe

also interesting there was a brief mention of a meteorite creating the Devil's Palm, and then it was just quietly dropped once Jesus came into the picture

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
The meteorite made the Devil's Palm, and then the arm started moving it around, I guess.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Crusader posted:

There have to be at least a few worlds where the Arrows exist because we've seen two other Valentines that have their own D4Cs.

Maybe there are Valentines in other universes trying to get the Requiem Arrow who can't be brought in to get the corpse unless things get truly desperate.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 2, 2019

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The meteorite was how God sent Jesus back to Earth for his resurrection.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Jesus is actually Kars.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I always figured the other Valentines have D4C, they just cant dimension hop with it. So at least it can like... punch things I guess.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The other D4Cs could be limited to only being able to transport their Valentines to just around their own universes, so a teleportation Stand instead of a dimensional travel one.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

overmind2000 posted:

There have to be at least a few worlds where the Arrows exist because we've seen two other Valentines that have their own D4Cs.

Maybe there are Valentines in other universes trying to get the Requiem Arrow who can't be brought in to get the corpse unless things get truly desperate.

I parsed that scene as Valentine relinquishing D4C to his other selves so it could attack Diego from different angles.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This should be the ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

amigolupus posted:

I parsed that scene as Valentine relinquishing D4C to his other selves so it could attack Diego from different angles.

That makes sense as well, it just looks like multiple because they are all following the angles of the punches that the three Valentines were throwing at exactly the same time. There's a panel on one of the previous pages that I think sets my idea up but you could be use it for either explanation

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 2, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlLoOAmMifU&t=38s

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Just imagine how hard it's going to own when the anime gets made and the villain takes over the intro.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maxwell Adams posted:

Just imagine how hard it's going to own when the anime gets made and the villain takes over the intro.

Which one tho?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Maxwell Adams posted:

If they manage to avoid showing the corpse parts during the regular intro they could have a psyche out and have the intro take place in a secondary universe, with the D4C reveal having Valentine travel to the base universe, holy poo poo this would own.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I'm also thinking about the music. They can have the theme become an alternate version of itself, like maybe it sounds mostly the same but the lyrics are slightly different.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

YF-23 posted:

If they manage to avoid showing the corpse parts during the regular intro they could have a psyche out and have the intro take place in a secondary universe, with the D4C reveal having Valentine travel to the base universe, holy poo poo this would own.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I'm also thinking about the music. They can have the theme become an alternate version of itself, like maybe it sounds mostly the same but the lyrics are slightly different.

All I want is for them to do something like part 5, where Tusk Act 4 does a counter take over on Funny Valentine's take over of the theme song.

Funky Valentine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8jvFxW3Pf0

Hey, Johnny...Johnny!

This way...

If it's like this...then I'm fine with it.

So...stay healthy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2yEx7qJlE8

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
You know what I like?

I like whenever either Johnny or Tusk are portrayed like horror movie antagonists. Johnny lurking in the sewer, Tusk busting open a dimensional wall, hiding in a hole and ready to shoot. Unstoppable. Implacable. Like the way they're paneled makes those moments come across like horror reveals and I love it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

BaDandy posted:

You know what I like?

I like whenever either Johnny or Tusk are portrayed like horror movie antagonists. Johnny lurking in the sewer, Tusk busting open a dimensional wall, hiding in a hole and ready to shoot. Unstoppable. Implacable. Like the way they're paneled makes those moments come across like horror reveals and I love it.

Act 4 looking at Diego from the dimensional hole is very spooky.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Crusader posted:

also interesting there was a brief mention of a meteorite creating the Devil's Palm, and then it was just quietly dropped once Jesus came into the picture

Like the zombie horse being Zeppeli Snr.'s stand power, my own take away was always that the gems in the other world were, like, stand arrow gems. The other worlds clearly have some stand battles and stuff going on, and the President is super invested in them despite running the country.

I think Valentine is my favourite Jojo villain. He has such presence, and the whole sequence with him slipping through the American flag is a spectacular visual. D4C is sort of unique in the part too because its basically a stand from parts 3-6 in design, which gives it a unique position in SBR until the World shows up. Speaking of visuals, the battle with the loving ocean coming in is a great set piece and I can't wait to see it animated.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I think Valentine is my favourite Jojo villain. He has such presence, and the whole sequence with him slipping through the American flag is a spectacular visual. D4C is sort of unique in the part too because its basically a stand from parts 3-6 in design, which gives it a unique position in SBR until the World shows up. Speaking of visuals, the battle with the loving ocean coming in is a great set piece and I can't wait to see it animated.

This also makes Act 4 Tusk stand out more too, especially the horror movie style framing of it prying apart the barrier Valentine's behind, and finally delivering the "ora-ora-ora" punch combo that's been such a major part of fight resolutions in 3-6.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rohan Kishibe posted:

It's between him and Kira for me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

parts 4 and 7 get put together a lot because they both feature a pretty well-constructed narrative that has time to breathe and the main villains are also cool as hell for their own reasons. ultimately there's a couple fights in each that i have no real feelings for but the cohesive wholes kind of paper over that because the beginnings and ends of each of those parts are great. i'm not as hot on part 5 even if there's a couple of really great fights because it doesn't stick the landing, but at least there's some cool stuff going on.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Part 5's ending would have been better if it was Diavolo who died and Doppio was the final fight.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
It took me a while to catch up, but I finally finished this read. The first time I read it, I missed a lot of things that I was eager to re-read and catch what I missed. There was a lot that I did, especially in regards to Lucy. I was so worried that she would be outmatched that I missed just how sharp she is. Even while she's busy putting herself down, she's constantly thinking ahead more moves than most jojo characters do. If it wasn't for Valentine's ability to replace himself, this all would have ended volumes ago.

One important thing I missed was the very end, after Lucy defeated alternate Diego. Stephen was saying that the Corpse was allied to Diego when it was buried, and with his death, it is now a neutral entity that no one has control over. Then Lucy looks at her hand, and walks away. What I didn't notice before is that Diego didn't get to bury the Corpse. Lucy interrupted him in that moment when they were alone. Stephen and I didn't realize that Lucy was the last one to interact with the Corpse, therefore It probably allied itself with her in the end. She will probably get all the happiness she seeks in life.

I love Steel Ball Run. Thanks for getting me to re-read it!

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

"Shoot me with another bullet spinning in the opposite direction (+)"
"The spins will cancel each other out (+ / -)"
"And it should stop the infinite rotation (SToP)"
"I promise (A golden placard that says 'promise')"

I wasn’t sure about the emojis the first time but I actually really like them this time. It’s the PROMISE one that made it for me. It makes it all seem like a political stump speech that Valentine has given thousands of times. He has his catchphrases and his verbal tics and the way he emphasizes things consistently and hand motions, and they come across as the symbols.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I'd like to think that Johnny starts doing it because he's subconsciously imitating the President.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The infectious evil of an excellent and charismatic public speaker is a great theme to play on

Allowing the hero to be fallible and influence-able is pro++

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It is really funny that Valentine had successfully done a diplomacy and could have walked away at the end of his encounter with Johnny completely fine with everything he desired, but he was such a totalitarian control freak he had to throw it all away trying to murder Johnny out of spite rather than accept a single person in the world not under his power.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Even Valentine didn't expect Johnny to accept his rationale.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Even Valentine didn't expect Johnny to accept his rationale.

I think he did, or at least he thought it was a distinct possibility, he just never had any intention of honouring it.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I still don't know what the hell was happening with his gun at the end.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Maxwell Adams posted:

I still don't know what the hell was happening with his gun at the end.

Valentine brought a gun back with him to kill Johnny with. The extra 1% assurance Johnny wanted was to have Valentine pick up this universes gun, the one that killed Gyro. If Valentine could pick it up, he would have been assured of Valentines honesty. Valentine COULDNT pick it up, though, because he had a mirror universes gun with him, which would have caused them to attract together and explode in his hand, which is why he decided to drop all pretext at that point, whip out the gun and shoot Johnny

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Okay, that's really cool.

All I saw was that Valentine whipped out his gun and his gun had a gun on it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah it all kind of caps off the whole 'i really absolutely want to believe you but some part of me knows i can't' vibe that the segment carries in that to some degree it was probably going to get valentine to react and get violent no matter what but it still left the small sliver of hope that he's being actually truthful

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah it all kind of caps off the whole 'i really absolutely want to believe you but some part of me knows i can't' vibe that the segment carries in that to some degree it was probably going to get valentine to react and get violent no matter what but it still left the small sliver of hope that he's being actually truthful

imo that whole segemnt was the strongest part of the whole story

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Wish I could find the clip from Super Best Friends reacting Marco dying in the epilogue

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

achillesforever6 posted:

Wish I could find the clip from Super Best Friends reacting Marco dying in the epilogue
I liked how that Araki was just like, yeah, obviously the poor kid is just probably going to die in squalor even if Gyro succeeded in having him exonerated, because royalty and the rich suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Meme Emulator posted:

Valentine brought a gun back with him to kill Johnny with. The extra 1% assurance Johnny wanted was to have Valentine pick up this universes gun, the one that killed Gyro. If Valentine could pick it up, he would have been assured of Valentines honesty. Valentine COULDNT pick it up, though, because he had a mirror universes gun with him, which would have caused them to attract together and explode in his hand, which is why he decided to drop all pretext at that point, whip out the gun and shoot Johnny

A good argument against my, "Valentine should wear a cloak," idea.