Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Btw, Antimatter Dimension has a Mobile version that may or may not belong in the OP. It's getting a bunch of updates, but mostly in the way of bug fixes and UI improvements.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kajfosz.antimatterdimensions&hl=en_US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Captain Foo posted:

how the gently caress did i make top 5 posting last thread I barely even played NGU lol

Because it was about a lot more than NGU for a very long time. Nothing else has been there to compete, the surge of new games was one of the reasons for making a new thread, which is the same reason the 2nd one was open when a bunch of new games came out ending the rein on the Real Grinder thread.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

pixaal posted:

the surge of new games was one of the reasons for making a new thread

Naw it's cause something paid people off to make a stealth NGU advertising thread.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pixaal posted:

Because it was about a lot more than NGU for a very long time. Nothing else has been there to compete, the surge of new games was one of the reasons for making a new thread, which is the same reason the 2nd one was open when a bunch of new games came out ending the rein on the Real Grinder thread.

I mean most of my posts were about realm grinder, I guess.

I never got the UI hate for it but I also didn't play before the redesign

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I also started playing it after the new UI and found it totally fine and comprehensible. Certainly much more so than looking at the old pictures of some nightmare treasure chest.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
For some reason I have the desire to create an idle game about upgrading the UI.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Captain Foo posted:

I mean most of my posts were about realm grinder, I guess.

I never got the UI hate for it but I also didn't play before the redesign

Ghostlight posted:

I also started playing it after the new UI and found it totally fine and comprehensible. Certainly much more so than looking at the old pictures of some nightmare treasure chest.

:emptyquote:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Jon Joe posted:

For some reason I have the desire to create an idle game about upgrading the UI.

I played a game on Kongregate about this probably a decade+ ago. Can’t recall the name at all though.

Re: Realm Grinder UI. The new one looks bad, but it’s really whatever. My big issue is the legibility of certain text being pretty poor. The old UI was ugly, but it made no bones about looking good and it was very legible to me.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Chakan posted:

I played a game on Kongregate about this probably a decade+ ago. Can’t recall the name at all though.

Re: Realm Grinder UI. The new one looks bad, but it’s really whatever. My big issue is the legibility of certain text being pretty poor. The old UI was ugly, but it made no bones about looking good and it was very legible to me.

Upgrade Complete and its sequel? I remember enjoying that game. Not an idle game though.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Is there a newbie guide for Clickpocalypse 2?

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Is there a newbie guide for Clickpocalypse 2?

If my memory is right, a decent first party is Druid (spec for wolves) and Ranger for damage, rogue to open locks, priest or warrior for the last spot (if warrior just spec to taunt and soak damage while the wolves kill things, it doesn't matter that he dies all the time). After you defeat a castle be sure to buy farms, I think the rest is pretty standard rpg leveling/gearing. You can use scrolls in manual play to progress faster than if the party just does its own thing. Maybe you could just do 4 druids or 3 druids and a rogue, the wolves were insane.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, it's mostly that the text sucked rear end, and the supposed fixes to improve it weren't good enough.

Xtanstic posted:

Naw it's cause something paid people off to make a stealth NGU advertising thread.

Wait really? Where's my cut 4g? :argh:

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
NGU

I just tossed 1 E 59 gold into the Money pit and got a 0 Iron pill!

I have the Money Pit wish complete.

My last Iron pill was 934,674

I had no Blood rituals running

It was the no ritual thing right?

:argh:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah. I've done that gently caress up as well.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
NGU bug

No idea if you know this or not but if you max out the training on a wish while offline the resources allocated to said wish does not get unallocated automatically

NGU feature request

The ability to filter out maxed wishes, just to make the menu less cluttered

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Holy poo poo, guys

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

What am I looking at? Is this something you download to laugh for 10 minutes then never touch again?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i'm definitely not gonna play this for a couple hours before ditching it

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
man i wish I was a toilet tethered to a crash test dummy

to not shitpost: ideas were thrown around in the NGU discord about SA banner ads and well i went and bought 3 months of this fella:

something fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 9, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

man i wish I was a toilet tethered to a crash test dummy

to not shitpost: ideas were thrown around in the NGU discord about SA banner ads and well i went and bought 3 months of this fella:

Grow your robot

Own unicorn!

Butts!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Where do I unlock robotic unicorn anus trees?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

pixaal posted:

Where do I unlock robotic unicorn anus trees?

that'll be the next fruit

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I should have mentioned this on the last page, but new NGU players: your feedback is really appreciated, either in this thread or the discord! Something is very good about making sure new players can catch up reasonably well (not going for a very long time where you aren't unlocking or reasonably progressing anything), and has even very recently gave the early game a big leg-up with exp gains. So, new goons progressing through the early and mid game will always have their input welcome, since the early game experience is really important to keeping the game healthy.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I've had so many zero adventure stat money pits, I manually save before every money pit to be safe.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, aside from a handful of things that 4G feels are foundational design elements (like challenges), he's really receptive to input. There's no way I'd still be playing this long if he wasn't.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008
The challenges are so tedious and unfun though, except troll and i guess laser sword. Everything else about NGU is cool and good though.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

and the claw won! posted:

The challenges are so tedious and unfun though, except troll and i guess laser sword. Everything else about NGU is cool and good though.

:agreed:

that's why i just want to leave them as dead content but i get unrelenting whining to keep adding rewards to the boring-rear end challenges. arghhhhh

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Challenges would be fine if I could complete multiple levels at the same time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Peachfart posted:

For real. I'd love the auto-boost-transform and auto-boost features but I am not putting up with the bullshit of twenty identical 100LCs and NECs. I'm already dreading the extra Evil NRBs I need to do to get Godmother down to 1h. If I could do multiples at once then it wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a pain in the ballsack.

Like gently caress, I'd even sacrifice the AP/EXP rewards for the "convenience".

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

gently caress yeah, new OP. Thanks!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
One thing I never figured out with NGU was the Target settings. Do they serve any point besides the 100 Level challenge? I can't figure out why I'd ever use them, especially for say NGU or Hacks. At what point is it useful to invest into a individual hacks at a time up to a certain level?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

With hacks, always, only milestones really matter not the levels between.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

apparently i've been able to attempt spire V forever ago but god i hate pushing high wind zones

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Aurora posted:

apparently i've been able to attempt spire V forever ago but god i hate pushing high wind zones

You’re running bionics up as high as you can while on a poison map first, right?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

something posted:

:agreed:

that's why i just want to leave them as dead content but i get unrelenting whining to keep adding rewards to the boring-rear end challenges. arghhhhh

Part of it fells like that they already contain a slew of useful or in some cases borderline mandatory rewards that feel crucial to progression. And once you've slogged through most of them in Normal and a handful in Evil you're already conditioned to see them as some kind of periodically expanding source of power, albeit with added hoops.

Like, for example Titans have been pretty much joined at the hip to the -3mins/respawn one since the word go, so that one alone seem destined to keep expanding for as long as new Titans get added.

Conversely Troll Challenge had 7 tiers on Normal and now has 7 on Evil so it feels "done", somewhat? Like you could keep adding to it but maybe that one's run its course?

"If you build it, they will come", or something like that; if the Challenges are /there/ and people can click into them they'll probably keep asking for rewards.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Dross posted:

You’re running bionics up as high as you can while on a poison map first, right?

no but that would have been smart to do

was already planning it for the spire clear tho

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Peachfart posted:

If you complete one challenge tier, it asks if you wish to continue to the next one. Or some setting to let it it continue until you Quit Challenge manually. I'd certainly do more No Rebirth if that were the case.

moeljbcp
Dec 6, 2004

In case of fire, call a plumber
Fun Shoe
I found the existence of challenges unfun enough to stop playing ngu ages ago now. I've been meaning to go back, but ugh, I killed a lot of progress between then and now and I'd probably be starting from scratch, unless by some miracle Kongregate kept my save for eternity. Which, well, I mean it is Kongregate, so maybe.

If unfun challenges were nerfed, reduced in volume, or otherwise made less bad in some way, it would probably be a notable improvement to NGU, especially based on your own comment. Maybe take the step at some point and make the game better even if it might annoy some people.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

If you complete one challenge tier, it asks if you wish to continue to the next one. Or some setting to let it it continue until you Quit Challenge manually. I'd certainly do more No Rebirth if that were the case.

One idea I had would be to give them ALL a time limit and the challenge is to get as far as possible with the handicap before the time runs out. Not sure how that’d actually feel in practice, though, might be overly stressful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Desperado
Mar 11, 2008
I think someone in the previous thread had the idea of reclaiming your number after finishing the challenge. This would let players take challenges at their own pace and not feel like they they have to put them off until they can do a bunch of them all at once. This isn't a great incentive since having to the same challenges over and over and over again is just mind-numbingly tedious.

Honestly though volume is the critical issue here. After more than 5-10 repetitions it just stops being interesting and turns into more of a grind. And not the fun kind of grind.