Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

explosivo posted:

I didn't really love Paragon Pioneers 1 as much as I expected to as someone who loves Anno and idlers. It takes lots of real time waiting around for trade routes which meant I couldn't set up feeder islands that make *thing* and distribute *thing* because you only get one delivery per 30 minutes. It's entirely possible I just gave up too early on. I think I might give this sequel another shot though, it's a good price for a mobile game with no microtransactions.

You just have multiple boats based on the amount of capacity you require to fulfill the demand. I will say more complex chains never seemed worthwhile or necessary. Hub and spoke model where the hub has your population and then you just have specialized resource islands that feed the hub.

I probably don’t love the game as much as I should either but PP2 is for sure better than the first and it is a single dev project with no micro transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

OrangeOrbit posted:

Thanks for recommending this. I had a hard time getting into Melvor when I tried it several years ago, but am really enjoying this even though I think the underlying game is pretty similar.

np! its so wonderfully chill and I really enjoy the community aspect. It seems a shame to see it drowned out in the app stores by millions of "5000 FREE PULLS PLAY IDLER NOW!" games or the ones that are extremely mtx/iap heavy.

i found out they do have a website so im gonna link it as I know its more likely for people to check something out with a link or visuals
https://grounded.games/idle_iktah.html

also looks like melvor is getting a new expac sometime in Q2 this year, so uh now im wondering if i should finish up ToTH before then or not? seems to be pretty siloed off based on what they said and im extremely curious how they are gonna implement skill trees. Normally I hate skill trees that are just "+0.5% chance to X while Y" but it could be interesting in melvor which is 1. an idler and 2. all about stacking that garbage

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Anyone got any tips on how to do basic Gnorp? Got it for my birthday, but not sure how to get past 9 spendable talents.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cerepol posted:

also looks like melvor is getting a new expac sometime in Q2 this year, so uh now im wondering if i should finish up ToTH before then or not? seems to be pretty siloed off based on what they said and im extremely curious how they are gonna implement skill trees. Normally I hate skill trees that are just "+0.5% chance to X while Y" but it could be interesting in melvor which is 1. an idler and 2. all about stacking that garbage

It sounds like it’s parallel to Herald - same “kill Bane” prerequisites, and while some of the items may be usable sidegrades or upgrades, the expansion progression will likely ultimately be separate. Probably similar to how Atlas added the barrier combat areas and dungeons; separate gear progression in a sense but had useful stuff you could use outside Atlas areas.

Malcs indicated on Reddit there would be more info forthcoming. I’ll probably try to finish the Herald combat progression before then on my standard account. I think there’s probably some pretty good lessons to be learned from the ways that Atlas was crowbarred into the base content - both good and bad, so an expansion based on that design iteration might be pretty good.

I’m also curious if Herald itself is going to be mandatory to play Abyss or if you could theoretically do the level 120 skill uncaps via Abyss without owning the former.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tortolia posted:

I’m also curious if Herald itself is going to be mandatory to play Abyss or if you could theoretically do the level 120 skill uncaps via Abyss without owning the former.

FAQ says you unlock the 60 "Abyssal Levels" for each skill upon getting them to 99. Seems to be a separate progression than 100-120

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
I was looking at Melvor, is the DLC good/necessary?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Zathril posted:

I was looking at Melvor, is the DLC good/necessary?

Good yes Necessary no.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

One increases the level cap for everything, introducing new items to grind (like new fish for fishing) that you can then sell for more money, and the other adds a couple new non combat skills (cartography/archeology) which are fun but I didn't really gently caress with until I was already swimming in money and level 120 in a few things. So yeah, definitely not necessary especially at the start but you'll probably want em later if you're enjoying the game since it's basically just more content tacked on.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Fair enough, thanks!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Throne of the Herald is 100% endgame content, you won't see any of it until you're level 99 in at least one skill.

Atlas of Discovery content is mixed throughout the entire game. It offers some cool alternate progression options and more stuff to do at every level. If you're picking up one to start, do that one, then grab Throne once you start maxing skills

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Speaking of the new Melvor expansion, anyone see any indication whether it will support Ancient Relics mode? This really isn't the kind of game I'm ever going to want to make a second save file on, and that's the only way I'm playing now.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Anyone got any tips on how to do basic Gnorp? Got it for my birthday, but not sure how to get past 9 spendable talents.

It's about finding synergies between the talents you have unlocked to make more progress.

Been a while but my endgame was all rockets and drones iirc. There's a talent for turning bullets into arrows and then you buy rocket arrows, that was really powerful.

Drones also get stronger with each time compression, so as you go you wanna buy at least five each cycle. The baby drones damage really ramps up.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Cycle Idle RPG dropped on Steam recently.

Not very far in, but seems decent enough so far. Not very complex yet, and kinda slow, but it does its job.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hand Row posted:

Paragon Pioneers 2 is out in some regions or otherwise pretty soon for everyone else. Available on mobile and steam. Also like the first one there’s a free demo version that lets you play the starting island.

Pretty excited as it seems like the first one but just more. More resource types, more building types, more units etc. Added skill system as well.

Playing this and it's interesting but it truly is an idle game bordering on Farmville. Popping in to do something then waiting a few hours to move around lol.

Is there any way to make a trade route go both directions or is it entirely one direction? E. Looks like there is a "Convert to complex trade route" option that does this.

Also, i assume that when two buildings share a space that means that they share it equally, or is there a balance there for who was there first? I notice it with things like sheep and pigs getting mixed together.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 15, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Broken Cog posted:

Not very far in, but seems decent enough so far. Not very complex yet, and kinda slow, but it does its job.

Ok, update. The game actually seems to become kind of like a puzzle past the first few enemies. Every new enemy requires some sort of approach to optimize. Like the Thrashadon does a ton of damage compared to the enemies before it, but if you inspect it in the bestiary, you can see that most of it comes from a skill that does 4x9 damage, so if you focus on upgrading the tunic that gives flat physical damage reduction first, you can negate most of it.

I like it so far.

It's very Idle too. Not much to do actively once you've set up a farming spot.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 15, 2024

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Lufia posted:

It's about finding synergies between the talents you have unlocked to make more progress.

Been a while but my endgame was all rockets and drones iirc. There's a talent for turning bullets into arrows and then you buy rocket arrows, that was really powerful.

Drones also get stronger with each time compression, so as you go you wanna buy at least five each cycle. The baby drones damage really ramps up.

I've been trying messing around, but I just can't seem to get past the 10th talent point no matter what I do.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I've been trying messing around, but I just can't seem to get past the 10th talent point no matter what I do.

If it’s earlier in the game, I would suggest fire and those jet pack gnorps.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Combat Event is on in Ironwood.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

CommunityEdition posted:

If it’s earlier in the game, I would suggest fire and those jet pack gnorps.

I've tried that, but I'm not getting the results I need.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Fire for early game -> rocket spam. Get rocket arrows, and the thing that turns bullets into arrows The gatling gun on your balloon is really good too.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

Fire for early game -> rocket spam. Get rocket arrows, and the thing that turns bullets into arrows The gatling gun on your balloon is really good too.

I've got a build going with that right now, but it isn't getting me anywhere. I don't understand what I'm missing.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I've got a build going with that right now, but it isn't getting me anywhere. I don't understand what I'm missing.

Are you cranking your multiplier with KotM/ Descent of The King?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

Are you cranking your multiplier with KotM/ Descent of The King?

That's the idea, but I can't get enough zybe or enough gnorps depending on the run to make it come together - or when I make a Mountain King, the king tears my pile down too fast for me to be able to compress.

My build is:
T0: Hiking Buddy, Runner Backstop, Extra Housing
T1: Bullet Breath, Timeshift Delivery
T2: Gatling Balloon, The Higher The Pile
T3: Future to the Back, Project Constellation, Descent of the King

My zybe purchases at compression 5/10 are Rocket Arrows, Timeshift Impact x1, Fire Breath, and Additional Housing. Is there one of those I should skip?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

for those not in the discord:

quote:

This patch will include the first code hunt! every few months, there'll be a new code you can enter into the "Enter Code" part of the game for a small chunk of premium currency (in this case, 250.) I'll give everyone a hint as to what the code is, and for the first week, I'll ask people not to share hints in the Discord. In a week, on March 23rd, you can share hints as long as they're behind spoilers. Here's the hint for this code hunt:

The code is 9 characters long, and you will need to enter it in all uppercase. It's possible for the characters to be spaces.
It's a thing - specifically, it's something you can put on food.
There's a new flavor tooltip somewhere in the game that mentions the thing.
The tooltip is located somewhere that might not be visible for very long, depending on your build.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Saraiguma posted:

for those not in the discord:

If its not HOT SAUCE I'll eat my hat

I can't play it at the moment but good luck

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Was playing Structure, and the website got taken offline from yesterday to today. That's one way to get me to stop playing it, I guess.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The variance in the Casual Tasks in Melvor drives me crazy sometimes. That's 100k earth essence to make those robes, VS the slayer task that would take me like under 2 minutes to complete

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Later in the game with preservation bonuses, capes, other gear, mastery, pets, summons, etc. the rune cost of that is basically negligible. The good news is that casual tasks repeat, so any time you spend getting mastery up on that item now will help with future completions of the task. IIRC slayer coin rewards are based entirely on your slayer level so you could have a level 1 township and get 99k slayer coins if you had 99 slayer, so those always feel out of whack.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

postmodifier posted:

It is not HOT SAUCE

Nor is it CONDIMENT

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anoyone tried MAYONAISE?

Edit: nvm hah

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 17, 2024

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Not MAYONAISE.

Neither is it FLAVORING, SOY SAUCE, SEASONING, PEPPERONI, PEPPERING, WORCESTER

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Is it BEEFSWELL ?

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
OLIVE OIL?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

goferchan posted:

The variance in the Casual Tasks in Melvor drives me crazy sometimes. That's 100k earth essence to make those robes, VS the slayer task that would take me like under 2 minutes to complete

That poo poo is exactly why I added the mod that lets you reroll casual tasks for free. 100 Normal logs should not pay the same rewards as 5000 summoning tablets.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Xerol posted:

IIRC slayer coin rewards are based entirely on your slayer level so you could have a level 1 township and get 99k slayer coins if you had 99 slayer, so those always feel out of whack.

Yeah it's 1000 x slayer level I believe, and it's great. Got like a million of every resource so I basically just knock out casual tasks to hopefully have more slayer ones spawn. Also the reward seems to be affected by having Cyclops equipped which is funny, but I'm not complaining

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

ZZT the Fifth posted:

That's the idea, but I can't get enough zybe or enough gnorps depending on the run to make it come together - or when I make a Mountain King, the king tears my pile down too fast for me to be able to compress.

My build is:
T0: Hiking Buddy, Runner Backstop, Extra Housing
T1: Bullet Breath, Timeshift Delivery
T2: Gatling Balloon, The Higher The Pile
T3: Future to the Back, Project Constellation, Descent of the King

My zybe purchases at compression 5/10 are Rocket Arrows, Timeshift Impact x1, Fire Breath, and Additional Housing. Is there one of those I should skip?

Took a few days to get the opportunity to sit down and GNORP

off hand The Higher the Pile won't get you any DPS so that's something to switch if you are shooting for higher compression.
I've never really run slammers so I can't say about that part of the build. Zybe purchases are good, other than fire breath (again, idk)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Was playing Structure, and the website got taken offline from yesterday to today. That's one way to get me to stop playing it, I guess.

It's up now.
I really wish it had gotten some more development, it really caught my attention for whatever reason when I stumbled over it a couple years ago.
Maybe just since it's visual, but I seem to recall liking one of the minigames for relics or whatever it was.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Neither OLIVE OIL nor BEEFSWELL.

idk if any other hints were posted to the Discord, I am not in the habit of joining mono-game discords

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

KazigluBey posted:

Neither OLIVE OIL nor BEEFSWELL.

idk if any other hints were posted to the Discord, I am not in the habit of joining mono-game discords

there haven't but here's a hint

the tooltip is visible on any enemy combat screen, but can be hard to see if you're killing too quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

postmodifier posted:

you're very close