Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Do I need to actually boost my red heart to get its bonus or does having it at lvl 100 give me the full amount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Trying out Synergism since I'm stalling a bit through the middle of evil on NGU, and it's pretty good even if there's very little info on what to do if you're stuck.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I don't mind the rebuild aspect, but I mostly just take the high tier item I'm making, surround it by 8 normal beacons and 8 knight beacons, then just boost up production backwards from there.

I'm liking it, though it doesn't have the ability to go mindless and max everything you want out like most incrementals. Maybe have a "FIX PORBLEM" button on the main screen that just autofills space with items you are in the red for?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think I hosed up my ngui upgrades lol. One t4 farts building makes 14.7/m, and with 6 efficiency buildings requires 96 supporting structures to maintain blue. And to support one flesh rocket structure, also with 6 beacons, requires 9 farts buildings. I guess I should stick to upgrades that don't require pink heart juice for a while then.

Pink hearts is my roadblock as well.

Ran that overnight with some deficits and was nowhere near what i need for map 3 this morning.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i would like it if beacons did not have a map presence, and instead you could slot each type into a type of building per-map, to have it affect all buildings of that type on the map

That seems like a potentially huge nerf.

I often run with 8+ beacons (4 normal, 4 knight) on one high tier, high input item.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Here's a NGUI upgrade I think would be nice:

Be able to name blueprints by clicking on the blueprint icon itself. I sure as poo poo don't remember what blueprint 1 is after a day

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
:|

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Realm grinder just irritated me because you basically made no/awful progress unless you knew exactly what researches or whatever to pop into.

Early on it wasn't a big deal, since I figured out enough of the good routes to go on my own, but then after the first ascension or whatever the reset is called, it became a slog.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I bought it for cheap for I think around 10$, and didn't feel like I got my money worth but didn't feel like I got outright ripped off.

I feel like the play is to do something like what Realm grinder did, which was to start replacing your graphics with fancier ones -after- the money starts rolling in. I can't blame them for not throwing good money after bad though, a lot of studios abandon their games looooong before this point.

Feline Mind Meld posted:

flash? oh Christ want it already slated for death then?

You can play it on Steam fine. I dunno if there was a browser version which might have been hosed by the swapover.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Aurora posted:

coming soon, just like dungeons

Wait, dungeons still aren't out? It's been years since I remember it being around the corner

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I liked NGUI but took a break from it when 3G was talking about maybe dropping it and I never had the itch to go back. My biggest gripe was that the different mechanics you unlocked didn't really mesh too well with the core loop in an interesting way.

I think a true factory game would be a legitimately fun idle concept

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Klungar posted:

NGU is feature complete, there is no more roadmap.

But where are the Laser sword challenge completion bonuses? :colbert:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't know about you, but my laser sword challenge completions make my augments kick more rear end. :shrug:

Looking at it right now and it says there's special rewards for evil Laser challenge that will be added later.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

prefect posted:

You'll never stop me from committing twenty times in a row with messages like "fixing". :colbert:

Wait, you're not supposed to do that?!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Sibling of TB posted:

did they update the base lifespan to be 70 years? I refreshed and now im at 70 years base and I don't think I did anything to do that.

I'm confused about that too, but I assumed that was part of my first ascension since I logged out yesterday after hitting it

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I know there's a Game dev thread here, but I'm curious if anyone would be interested/mind if I posted updates on the Idle game I'm working on.

Probably still quite a bit out from putting out a demo since core bits of the loop aren't done, saving included, but I figure I could still get feedback on design and such from screenshots.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Alright, I'm working on an Idle game that's based around running a RPGesque weapon shop/forge. Right now I have most of the initial loop done, but there's a lot of UI reworking I want to do, and a lot of functionality isn't 100% done or polished because I am ADHD as all hell.

The player designs weapons/tools to be produced. I kind of want this to be a situation where there's not one "best" option to do at any point. Crafting weapons improves the stats of the adventurers you send out on Adventures to unlock new content and produce rarer resources, and Crafting Tools improve a related town building which both improves it's passive effect and unlocks related upgrades at the cost of being less profitable than Weapons. Using the best resources and item options will not necessarily make as much money as pumping out cheap items, so there's going to be tradeoffs. I also plan on having item loadouts be savable so it's not a pain in the rear end to reset on ascension.

(Step 3/4 are placeholders for flavor text each item will have for making the item)

(Crafting options haven't been started yet, but it's going to be options like poisoning daggers, adding gold filigree to a sword, rushing or painstakingly working an item, all options that effect the price/power/quality of the item by changing the crafting speed/adding more required resources/etc)

Adventurers are the basic units you send out on Expeditions. Each adventurer is tied to a specific weapon type, and they use the best item of that type you've crafted that run. Each adventurer will also have at least one trait that will affect different dungeons and party comps (think WoW garrison missions)(NYI). They'll also level and get stronger as you send them out on expeditions, but their equipped item will be the bulk of their power.

The Expeditions you send people on will produce rarer resources and will unlock more dungeons/unlocks/blueprints, along with Relics (NYI), which are rare items with passive bonuses that incentivize running older dungeons and using lower tier adventurers.

Finally, you'll have employees to manage. Every minute or so you can roll a new batch of generated employees, which will have different bonuses. Employee management is not intended to be something you need to optimize for progression, but rolling a very high tier Employee with good traits might well push you past content walls. Employees are run-only but I do plan on having prestige options to keep selected Employees through runs.

Aside from that, it's all pretty standard Idle fare. There's Upgrades that take gold, there will be achievements that provide some level of bonuses, and there'll be a prestige system that adds more bonuses and gatekeeps future mechanics that I haven't fully fleshed out yet.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Speaking of - are there any archived earlier editions of these games in dark corners of the web, before it became a pay-to-play mobile game mess?

IIRC shop heros 1 didn't even have a town, so it may not depend on multiplayer servers being up

e: I think earlier iterations were called Sword and Potions (there was 1 and 2)

Shop Heroes/Titans were always designed like that (though Titans is 100% playable w/o buying anything).

I doubt you'd find a S&P version available from before it became absolute dogshit simply because it'd need to connect to the servers.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Update to the Idle game I'm working on:

I've got Saving working! for non-web based versions A few things are missing, but that's nearly all related to the Dungeon mechanic which is not greatly fleshed out anyway. WebGL based saving might be a bitch, but I'm not planning on pushing out any public builds for this until I've got the prestige mechanic going, so that's getting pushed off as long as I'm able.

Dungeon traits are in! Now the Dungeon runs are modified by traits that each dungeon has. Positive Dungeon traits give you a bonus to adventurer power or drop rates if you meet the Criteria, Negative ones give you a penalty to adventurer power if you do not meet the criteria. This is an idle game, so eventually you'll be able to run whatever composition you want just by the power of sheer numbers, but it's there just to make sure older units don't get obsoleted the second you unlock something with higher base power. As a side note, you can run every dungeon at once as long as you've got the units for it.

I'm also considering doing daily infinite dungeons that get generated off a daily API call to my webserver with small but permanent bonuses as rewards, because it'd be easy as hell to accomplish, but also veers a little too close into FOMO mechanic territory for me.

Item generation is now a lot stronger, and each of the 8 main types of unit have their own set of statistics pull from so items look like they're something that makes sense in a Diablolike/MMO/generic rpg.

This is almost entirely cosmetic for now (only things that matter are sale price and power) , I've got some ideas kicking around for systems that would use these, but they're far past the general plan I'm working on.

Finally, I've plotted out the first roughly 10 hours of gameplay and will be re-building the entire upgrade tree soon. Thankfully I already have a tool I made for a different project that takes C# code and makes an editor for it, otherwise I'd be handling this all via excel or notepad, and that would suck!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Buzkashi posted:

Has there been an update to Orb of Creation? I felt like once it hit Steam it just fizzled out entirely.

A devlog came out a little under a month ago, it looks like the next update will wildly shake up the current game if not require a full reset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X-x99JeljU

I can't blame Marple too much for the development going slowly, it's really, really easy to lose momentum on a project like this when you have a full time job. especially when the changes are adding big new mechanics to what is a relatively complicated game compared to most idles.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FrickenMoron posted:

Ideally the game sales could cover a full time job but I don't see that happen for most idle games.

Yeah, 5G has been open about NGU being a wild hit, so there's definitely a market, but is it something you quit your job over if you're not already making enough to get by off of? OOC only has the patreon, I believe, and 500$/mo isn't covering anyone's bills.

Also Marple is probably spending a lot more time on it than one would think, I probably put in 15 hours a week on my project on a good week and my rate of progress has been glacial at points. And I'm not reworking major mechanics.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Kind of tempted to drop FAPI. I know there's at least 2 mechanics coming up that I haven't hit yet (Milk, and whatever happens with the talent tree once you hit whatever class level), but it's just not scratching that itch for my reptile brain where progression feels good.

I'm also very slowly inching towards getting my own idle project to a playable state. If I can get a good amount of work in this weekend I'll basically have every core system/UI piece but the prestige mechanic in, which means I'll have to/get to rip out most of the current game data and start actually adding actual content, which will be fun.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Xtanstic posted:

I am eager to have a look at your game!

I've been chugging away at it the past 2 weeks and there's been no pesky new releases I've been interested in or new Path of Exile leagues to stall progress for months at a time so I've been making pretty steady progress, though a lot of it is just unflashy background stuff like optimizing things, making certain tooltips look less rear end, or going in and putting in actual code for things that didn't have it.

I'm really hoping to get a public version out that's basically just the first half or so of the first reset (and maybe further) by the end of my thanksgiving break since I'll have a week off to knock stuff out.

Right now I have a lot of little UI pieces to add the code for, 2 major pre-reset mechanics left to do (The actual story and a fusion mechanic for making higher tier materials like alloys and such), and I also need to rip apart the entire tech/upgrade tree and replace it with one that's not just built around testing that different mechanics work.

Since my last post, I believe the main new things in the game are:

Saving: I redid how I did saving and actually got WebGL saving to work.

Relics: Items that can rarely drop from dungeons, they are basically an incentive for continuing to run older dungeons later into the game. The boosts from individual relics might be anything from boosting an item blueprint or it might upgrade or add a new trait to one of your adventurers.

Dungeon Traits: Individual dungeons will have traits that your party composition will need to work around in order to avoid Penalties (Ambushing Minions is countered by an adventurer with Awareness, Swarming Hordes is countered by an Adventure with AOE, etc...) Some traits will also affect drops as well.

.The ability to customize what resources show up on the sidebar.

Improved Adventurer Traits: Under certain conditions you'll be able to unlock or improve Adventurer traits or base power.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Every other month or so I check in on Orb of creation to see if it's updated and every time the answer is no.

Can't really blame the dev, a game like that is far more complicated than most idles, but man, it scratches an itch that other games don't.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

pixaal posted:

reading the steam comments looks like the dev is MIA basically charged money for what they had did some small bug fixes then got bored. It was on my watch list, my experience when a free idle game goes paid is it's done the dev can't figure out how to monetize it and needs money, paying up front for a game where you usually do see the problem issues for 50-100 in, just doesn't work.

e: also nothing wrong with an actual ending, but put it in!

I somehow forgot that it is a paid game now.

No problem with that, I got my money's worth, but I can see why some are upset

Sivart13 posted:

though Early Access games where devs pop into a discord every couple of months to say "the next thing is coming out soon I swear" is a common vibe

Well now I just feel like a bit of a hypocrite with my own project.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
So, after way too many weekends spent fuckin around on my idle game and getting lost playing around with non-core stuff like discord integration, I hammered out some of the most pressing issues and put out a really early build if anyone is interested.

Webgl build. I probably won't be maintaining this, or at least keeping it up to date after 1.0 just because of how long the builds take.

(unsigned) standalone windows exe

There's not a lot of content at all right now since I've been focused on fixing issues and completing the last few systems before the main gameloop is finished, but I figured I'd get it out there for people to take a look at and provide input.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Xtanstic posted:

Well at the very least, the discord integration let me be the 4th member on the discord and chat. I'm a sucker for the theme so I tried it out a bit tonight since I've been looking forward to trying it out. Slow going at first but you get more knobs to fiddle with once you get the early wood/iron ressource income and unlock blueprints.

3rd member. One's a bot to handle turning bug reports into "tickets" and eventual discord integration (I kinda want to set up discord roles for different game milestones)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

GrossMurpel posted:

Isn't this portrait from one of those games where you play as a mage and have different classes for each run?

Pretty much every art asset that isn't gui is from an art asset pack, so probably!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Tei posted:

Intriguing...

Do you accept feedback?

Absolutely. That's why I'm putting it out there in this state. Trying to find the pain points, bugs, and suggested changes that aren't already on my list

If you don't want to fill up the thread, there's a discord https://discord.gg/5kkGVqmk

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It's a shame because Idle Skilling was really neat and had some interesting ideas and unique mechanics. IdleOn is so fuckin bad, it's just manufactured problems and sold solutions (either through in game progression or p2w). It could have been good but everything is designed to utterly disrespect your time.

Yeah, I also really liked Idle Skilling but bounced off Idleon really hard.

It's a shame, monetizing games like this can be a thorny subject at the best of times, but you should never go straight to milking your audience dry.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I got baited on a friend posting about an Orb of Creation update post.

...it was from last year. :negative:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've been doing CIFI on Android, but I've seen some complaints that it gets to be a bit of a slog without purchases later

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.OctocubeGamesCompany.CIFI&hl=en_US&gl=US

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm hyped for 0.6.0, though I think I'm gonna start fresh if everything is getting mixed up, i wouldn't remember what I was doing anyway.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

KazigluBey posted:

I mean, people are posting saves itt so others can look through them and let them know what needs to be done. Seems fairly polarizing between people who just blast through it no problems and people who are constantly stymied by whatever the design is here that makes us go "I have no idea why I'm not progressing or what I should be doing".

Honestly this is gonna be a problem on any significantly complicated idler. I remember a lot of people being stuck in Realm Grinder at points because there were specific builds that were orders of magnitude better than others. Don't know if that got fixed but I really didn't care for that.

And there's always gonna be a variance in people understanding something intuitively. I know I'm running into that on my project.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Goose game seems interesting but the prices seem a lil much.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I feel bad for Demonin, imposter syndrome and burnout can be a bitch, but just taking down the game wholesale for an indeterminite time if not permanently is a bit extreme.

Especially since people had paid money into a patreon for the game.

Deki fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 3, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I hope Tingus gets a PC version sometime.

Love the art but it's not the kind of idle I generally play on my phone.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Whats the worst idle game y'all have played? I think for me its Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms.

Probably one of the soulless low effort knockoffs of more popular games I've tried. It's honestly the reason I didn't get into NGU at first because I assumed it was just a ITRTG clone.

Alternatively any of the phone idle games designed around trying to force you to pay up due to pain points in progression or prompting for ads every 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

neurotech posted:

I'm making my own incremental idle game and am currently thinking through what that will look like. Putting some survey questions out there:
  • What attracts you to, and keeps you coming back to, your favourite incremental/idle game(s)?
  • How important do you think it is to have multiplayer elements in incremental/idle games?*
  • Are you comfortable paying for an incremental/idle game?
  • If yes: What kind of price point do you feel is appropriate?
  • If no: Why?

* I should clarify with regards to multiplayer. I'm more thinking optional/passive kinda stuff. Stuff like: "PLAYER_NAME encountered RARE_THING!", global statistics, A chance to receive a short-term buff/assist from another player's "Ghost" (and if your Ghost helps someone else you get a currency spike or something).

- The idea of unlocking new mechanics (and honestly the cheap and easy dopamine from "accomplishing" something with no effort)

- Its not very important unless you're trying to add a hook to keep players playing even when they've grown bored. I've personally kinda regretted putting in so much work in the leaderboard side of things on my project since I wanted a basic level of sanity checking against people just modding their saves. I can't think of an idle game elevated by it's online component.

- To pay for a game outright, it better look polished and have mechanics that aren't basic as hell. But if I put in more than one day in a phone idler, I usually get the no ads pack if it's ~9 bucks or so. I also bought a couple NGU packs.