Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've tried Evolve for a bit, since it's been mentioned in the thread.
But it's pretty tedious for an incremental, because nearly everything you can idle up has tiny caps, and a lot of the time you have to keep proactively increasing the caps just to afford things.

Are the research + building queues the only 'kinda-automation'-y features the game has in vanilla?
I tried loading up the scripting edition + one of the scripts that have been mentioned, but it was just an impenetrable mass of toggles and menus, and probably spoils every surprise the game has in store.

I'd really like it a lot more if it had some basic automation stuff, research, building, and raiding being the big ones at my current place in it. (Just hit the internet age today.)
It's especially odd since there are a handful of craftable resources that are just... infinitely storable, while everything else has these tiny caps you have to micromanage.
(Crates + containers to micro caps feels particularly pointless and unfun.)

I'll probably give it until I hit a reset, and see what kind of mechanics the prestige system brings with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah, it's good to hear that it speeds up notably atleast, I've apparently already gotten a stray plasmid, which I guess you can get passively from the biotech labs rolling through and doing research.

But yeah, often I wonder how much of the strange expectations in incremental games comes from them being built upwards like a tower, with devs stacking on features (and thus content.) on top, piling it higher and higher.
And then never really rebalancing the early game around the fact that the game is suddenly like a dozen+ times as long once it's matured a bit.

(And that said devs often do a Starbound, and don't actually playtest the game as it is for a player. But rather dropping in, console-ing them to the point where they have the thing they want to test, then peace out again. Ie testing content and features in a vacuum.)

Though I very much appreciate the flavour of playing as Ents, building poo poo out of their pussed out scabs/amber.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

crime weed posted:

what's the console command to speed up tickspeed?
Found an old post:

Garfu posted:

(for chrome)
1. Load the page
2. Located evolve.js in the devconsole
3. Place a breakpoint at line 4: switch (data.loop) {
4. Reload the page
5. Hover over 'data' and change 'period:' to 25 (lowest I found that still works and doesn't lockup the game after a while)
6. Click resume script execution, or press F8
7. Repeat step 5 and 6 two more times for each type of loop (main, which handles the evolution stage, mid, which handles mostly everything else, and long, which handles the day cycles and some other stuff)

You'll have to repeat this every time you prestige. Or make a tampermonkey/greasemonkey script to do it for you.

edit: I figured this out last year, it's possible it changed since then, I haven't played recently.

Thanks for writing up a guide like, half-a-year ago, Garfu.

I gave it a go, and it worked just fine, though it was a bit fiddly sine I haven't done that kind of debug-editing in chrome before.
Currently trying it at 2x speed-ish, which does let me do a decent chunk more when I actively manage it.

Still kinda wish that the storages in Evolve functioned as softcaps, instead of hard ones.
Idling the game/overnight progress would be a lot nicer if you had 100% production when storage was 0-100%, then at 200% storage you hit 50% production, 300% storage, 25% production, etc.
Instead of so much just getting wasted because you're unable to check in for a couple hours.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

explosivo posted:

This Leaf Blower Revolution on Steam is pretty fun, I do wish there was an Android version though. Seems well suited to just dragging your finger all around a screen.

Oh, that's kinda neat.
I really wish there were more incrementals with a visual aspect, I think one of the things I quite appreciated about structure was that while it was super minimalist, it was pretty rewarding to see a map get cleared out.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

explosivo posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you mean or not but as you level up your stuff you do get more and more leaves on screen at least so later on you're basically clearing out an entire screen's worth of leaves and it's very satisfying. There's also other stuff later on too like new planets with space leaves!

Yeah, it's why it prompted my comment. Just from the preview images I saw that it would have a pretty pleasing aspect to it, just clearing it all away.

pixaal posted:

What you want is a labor of love that few people players will truly apricate the duality of.

Yeah, I entirely understand why they are so vanishingly rare, I just wanted to express that I'm really fond of them.
The genre is very math and numbers oriented as you say, which is super understandable as that is the easiest way to approach ever increasing numbers and such.
After all, all you need is a scripting 101 tutorial in an engine of your choice to get started with 'smack a button, increment a number.' , while anything visual beyond menus demands meshing multiple skillsets, on top of having mechanics that mesh well with that aspect.

Thanks very much for the links, I'll check 'em out.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

One thing I'm curious about in Shark Game:
When you unlock those 'bring a couple of an animal to the next world' things, do they ensure that you can always access the tech/machines specific to them?
Or are which animals that are available hard-locked based on the kind of world you're going to?

Like if you select the upgrade which brings along 5 shrimp, does that mean that you'll get access to shrimptech(tm) on all future worlds? Or that you'll just end up with 5 lonely shrimp chilling throughout an entire world run if you're on a world that doesn't normally have them?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Access to machines depends on the resources available in the world.

Alrighty, I wasn't entirely sure what the limiting factor was, I was half expecting it to be a deal where once you were bringing all types of animals with you, you could do anything, speeding up future runs more.
Ah yeah, then I understand a bit more how strong it can be later on. 5>25>125 while also becoming x2>4>8 better etc seems like a pretty good deal, since the first part of runs is the slowest.

I'm just glad I'm starting to get level 10-11 and up worlds now, so that I get a bit more essence.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mayveena posted:

I'm playing it (Industry Idle) now. Can't figure out for the life of me how to get enough petrol.

Yeah, with everything defaulting to 'infinite request range' the moment something needs resources it won't hesitate to request it from the other side of the map, burning through petrol. (And with the tile bonuses it's very easy to end up producing say, 40 oil/s, next to a refinery that wants 44/s, etc.)
(I kinda wish the max request range defaulted to 9 instead of infinite. But you can set max request ranges per building type while adjusting it.)

I've just started smacking down tiny oil well + oil refinery outposts that don't ship resources around. The moment you start shipping oil any meaningful distance it seems like you'll easily burn through more petrol than you earn.
I'm also very amused that while you can make your transport fleet be electric instead of petrol based, all it does is change it that so that they chew though batteries instead of guzzling petrol. As opposed to shifting things so that you need a way stronger power grid to run them instead.

I quite like the game, but I am kind of put off by the fact that it's just a completely blank grid. I'd have loved if there was some basic map with land/water features, even if they were mostly visual.
(Also I really wish the building menu had categories, instead of just listing every single building type you can slap down on a tile.
And it's a bit frustrating that there are -25 to +25% tile benefits, but the only way to discover them is to click every single tile and look at the buildings menu. Really wish I could just select a building and see what bonus it has on all tiles.)

e: Oh huh, the multiplier didn't work the way I expected. It's just a total multiplier for that building every 10 levels.
Levelling up an oil well from lvl 9 to 10 made it go from 90 to 200 oil.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 1, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Industry Idle update: On the whole, interesting concept, but I really hate a bunch of the market/player trade systems that ruin it for me. Which is a shame.

It really isn't fun to have a market-price system that wildly fluctuates, but because you have a cap on how much you can export/s per type, and how many types of products you can export, you can't make use of it.
All it serves to do is go 'Oh you spent a bunch of time balancing that PC+Phone production line! Congrats! Your profits are now reduced to 1/3rd because the value of those dropped.'.
Books are currently exporting for more than robots, despite how trivially cheap they are to make... But I still can't make any use of that because I cannot export more than 70 units/s of them anyhow.

The export cap system artificially bottlenecking your profits just makes it all feel so tedious when combined with the super-fluctuating prices. I'd enjoy the game a lot more without the player trade + market price system.
Either go more incremental, or more simulation, this weird wiggle space between them just makes it the worst of both for me.

It doesn't feel satisfying to set up the longer production chains when all too often the game will just go 'tee hee, these smartphones? Why, you'd actually earn more selling the intermediates now, dumbass. ' (Except you can't, because you don't have the export slots needed to do that.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mayveena posted:

what are you going to play next? I'm sorry but the look of NGU Industries is a big turn off for me.

Dunno, don't really have any lined up.
Though if you want something logistics-y x incremental, you could check out a classic: Factory Idle, if you haven't already. https://factoryidle.com/ )

It's a nice game, though I really wish there was a successor that took it farther. (Honestly I guess I'd just love a factorio-lite incremental, I guess.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

explosivo posted:

This rules, I've never played this one before. It's a browser game with lovely bad graphics but it's still giving me that Factorio vibe of being able to watch stuff being moved around on belts which is I think something I was missing in NGU:I.

Yeah, the guy who made it has a couple other similarly styled games. (reactor idle, for example, though that doesn't have belts or items moving around.)
But I absolutely agree, there's just something major that gets added when a logistics game like this has goods actually moving around and the like, instead of it just being a grid of buildings.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ethereal farm: Am I missing something? I just unlocked mistletoe after the second transcendence.

Mistletoe is supposed to generate twigs when the basic tree levels up, right? I've had 2-3 mistletoe around it from level 0 to 5, and haven't gotten a single twig from it yet.
Is it a seasonal thing, since mistletoe is very much regarded as a fall/winter plant?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alrighty, thanks! That explains it.
That absolutely feels like an ui/ux oversight, with how it was described I was expecting a couple twigs to trickle in every time it levelled up, not as a bulk thing after transcending.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I was kinda bummed when I unlocked automation in Ethereal Farm... and it pretty much does nothing except provide you with templates + the passive benefits from having it on the ethereal farm.

Is the Auto-update thing you get from tier 2/Ethereal Tree lvl2 the kind of update that means automation can update the plants in my field, and I only need to slap down/apply the templates, or is it just 'auto-buys the sidebar updates', and I have to get even further in for it to be able to do stuff with my plants?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alrighty, thanks for the info.
I guess I'll just focus on doing faster transcends for a bit while I accumulate some resin, achievements and etc.
Annoyingly I always keep forgetting to do the 'plant 30x' of things achievements at the end of a run before transcending, ever since I picked up the 6x6 field upgrade.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Haha, guess who's a big dumb smartypants who only realized that nettles -AND- flowers can boost mushrooms in Ethereal Farm? And only at the end of the no-upgrades challenge run? :v:
Yeesh, the remaining time just imploded. I've been boosting mushrooms exclusively with nettles up until now, and I was kind of puzzled why it was so hard to progress past ethereal level 25 for the tree in normal runs.

I mean, it's mentioned in the tooltips and everything, so I'm not sure how it ended up becoming such a blindspot to me.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I assume the fruits with fusable skills in Ethereal Farm only start dropping at very high tiers or something? The game does specity 'abilities marked [**]' but I've yet to see a single one.
Currently have automation and reliably pop up to lvl 35-40 within 2 hours, so I'm just grinding up resin and working towards the 7x6 farm upgrade for now. (And I guess Ethereal tree lvl 4, though that'll take ages.)

My best fruit at the moment is an electrum apricot that boosted the speed of everything quite a bit. ( Nettle + Berry + Mushroom boost, so the tree grows pretty drat fast.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wow that really doesn't feel explained well at all then. That or I must have missed a text box defining the first merging to get * skills. I just checked out the fuse screen a couple times, had it say I wouldn't get anything, and figured it might just be a later-game mechanic.
The way the game explains it gave me the impression that either some fruit would randomly drop with them, or something along those lines. And once you'd gotten a couple then you could start fusing away to building frankenfruits.

Thanks for clearing it up, to the both of you.

Also, once you have ** skills, can you transfer them across tiers- Or does the process have to be repeated as you get access to higher tier fruits? (When merging fruit without * or ** skills you're limited to doing fruits of the same tier after all.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Apparently Bitburner has gotten a steam release. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1812820/Bitburner/
Sounds like a good time to give it a go if you're like me and haven't really bothered to sit down with it yet.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On the general tech-theme, does anyone know of/remember the incremental where you're an ai trying to spread out/survive? I cannot remember the name, and I'm not having much luck finding it again. Pretty sure it was a flash game, considering how long it's been since I played it.
You start out getting access to the internet and start bottnetting toasters, and end up mass-manufacturing underwater city-sized serverfarms to avoid getting nuked by humanity.
(e: though it's a pre-incremental-incremental game, so I think it was something you could complete in a single sitting.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 18, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

edgeman83 posted:

Anyone have suggestions for what is the best flash player emulator for undefeated spider?

Do you specifically need an emulator? If you have a .swf file you can just use the standalone flash player https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html and play it locally without issue, unless we're talking playing it on android or something.

e: ^^ Yes, that sounds very correct and the kind of extremely generic title that makes it just vanish.
e2: what? ' Download 1.00, released 07-04-2020 ' Goddamn, it started getting updates again after a decade idle, that's impressive.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

quote:

Singularity:Endgame
I suppose I misremembered it as being more incremental-y than it is, but it's still kind of adorable to have an ai-achieving sentience story where it just never even considers hurting people in any capacity.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Someone dropped a Progress Knight 2.0 https://symb1.github.io/progress_knight_2/ Not sure what's added otherwise, but after living 1 life it still hasn't fixed my biggest annoyance.
" Something tells you that the amulet might evolve after living for 2 whole centuries and transform even further after living for a millennium and reach its final form after ten millenia... "

It's annoying that there still doesn't seem to be a 'revert last change/assignment/purchase before you run out of money' function, which would be a nice QoL thing.
It's always annoying when you temporarily change job, or upgrade a house, then are a split second too late in undoing it, and all your purchases disable and you have to re-enable them.

e: Seems like the auto-learn has been tweaked to learn the skills that are fastest to learn, not just the ones that have the lowest level.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 5, 2022

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, I'm curious what direction this'll go/how it'll differentiate itself from Reborn.
Especially since this seems like a different person again from the original dev, and the reborn dev.

It's kind of annoying when a bunch of people make interesting forks off of abandoned games, but it's impossible to find out how they differ / what their goals and mechanics are without playing them all.
It's great and cool that people are doing it, but changelogs and version numbers aren't your enemies, people.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

prefect posted:

You'll never stop me from committing twenty times in a row with messages like "fixing". :colbert:

Fixed a
Fixed the a fix
Better fix for the a fix
Fixed the a fix, properly this time
Wip: can't test the new a fix because the backend guy broke everything 5 min before walking out on Friday.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Incremancer is pretty simple, but it is very satisfying to see those waves of 1000+ zombies sloshing around the map.
It is pulled a bit down by the sprites having so low resolution that it's difficult to discern out specific types of units though.

A zombie apocalypse where random amounts of zombies can just spontaneously manifest infront of you is pretty terrifying on the whole though.
One second you're a doctor, the next 13 zombies suddenly spawn around you, instagibbing you.

e: Kinda disappointed that the time warp thing isn't a toggle, just a short speed boost you can use every now and then.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 19, 2022

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It's simplistic and stopped updating long ago, but I really liked Structure a couple years ago.
http://structure.zefiris.su/
I'm not sure what it was, but it's probably the only incremental I've played for weeks, since not many others really grab me long term.

There's just something so satisfying about watching those lines and nodes getting chomped up, since it's rare to see incrementals where the entire growth part of it is visualized directly. Especially when you're dropping into virtual worlds and you can just chomp up everything in a matter of seconds.

It's a huge shame it only got updates for a few months in early 2018, and then nothing after that.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

If the Alkahistorian series scratched a specific itch for you and you've been looking for more, or you just enjoy spinning different resource plates, maybe The Altahistorian's Conquest is for you?

https://dystopia-user181.itch.io/the-alterhistorians-conquest

Also, ran into a civclicker, Clicker Ultimate https://clickerultimate.github.io/

Looks like Altahistorian was one of the entries to the Summer Incremental Game Jam on itch.
https://itch.io/jam/summer-incremental-game-jam-2022/entries

As for Clicker Ultimate, I've hit the prestige/colony option on it and the game just gives no indication on if there is any more content really, or just a couple rounds of prestige-ing.
Also having 'colonies' be your prestige mechanic is incredibly silly when you're dumped right back into the pre-stone age.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of incremental games like this where all progress just stops the moment you've idled for a bit, because the resource stockpiles max out and nothing happens.
Always prefer it when there's atleast -something- that keeps on ticking and working. Be it an automation thing, autobuying certain things, or just a mechanic where 'wasted' resources do something useful.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 7, 2022

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Or should I use something else entirely?

It depends on what you know, what you're willing to learn, and what you want to end up with.
The gamedev thread is probably a good place to ask. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853

I'd say that going for an engine like Godot would be far better than trying to make something in Javascript/etc.
Easier to develop for other platforms, with the ability to play it in-browser, with all the benefits of an actual engine to make whatever it is you want.
(Other platforms as in you can spit out pc/desktop builds easily in addition to a browser/html5 oriented thing.)

Godot is nice and popular nowadays, though like all engines it's a lot of work to get into and make stuff in.
But you get so much out of working with an engine instead of needing to implement most of the stuff yourself, manually.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hand Row posted:

I haven’t hit a wall yet with Ethereal Farm yet and still enjoying it. Certainly not playing super minmaxed builds either as I try to avoid spoiling it since coming up with layouts is the best part and I haven’t had any issues yet.

It's a pretty common development cycle for incrementals that have active development and communities, honestly.
There's always this chunk of content towards the end that's super extended because it's the final bit of content, and there are tons of min-maxed strategies and layouts for it.
Then over time (in good games atleast), new mechanics and rebalances make those parts easier as new content shifts in and becomes the new endgame.

I recall it's like 1-2 years since it was kinda big in this thread, stuff that's probably in the midgame and way easier now. I believe people were getting really annoyed over squirrels and nuts then, or something like that?

Checking it now it seems like the early game has been sped up a lot (Another tier of flower even earlier, amongst other things.), and there's more active guidance. (There's a text banner explicitly pointing out the next goal to target.)
But it's been years since I played it last, but I genuinely can't remember those anemone flowers, but getting that acceleration in really helps new users get going earlier.

e: Seems like there's a good chunk more of ui QoL and shortcuts and stuff too.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 24, 2023

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It might be a limitation of the iframe or something, but I can't input numbers directly into the math minigame in the school, which kinda sucks.
I could answer a lot of them in 30 seconds if not for the fact that I need to press the up arrow 9 times to get it to increment to 9 before I can submit it as an answer.

It also kinda extends to general scroll handling, kinda obnoxious to scroll down a menu and then bam, you're scrolling down the page itself after a few steps.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gooboo: Cards: I have a couple, and they mention having a bonus when 'active', how do you activate them?
They're highlighted by default, but I'm only getting the weakest passive based on the amount of cards I have for that category.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ahaaa, thanks.
For talking about how it doesn't need wikis and etc, the game could stand to have a bit more info, but I assume I might be closing in on prestige territory.

Also, I can suddenly use inputs in the school now, not sure what changed.
Really dislike the asd asdfa adssd dsdsd dfsfsfff game.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

crime weed posted:

it changes up to proper sentences eventually; it follows the standard homerow progression.

Reload page, and suddenly the entire school system is entirely different.
Now it uses actual words even from the first level, making it so much easier.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I really like the way the game handles storage overflow, without trivializing away storage as a mechanic.
Still getting resources at a reduced rate, but you can't use it to ignore storage limits is a very nice idle-game adaptation.

The best part about Googiboogygame. Not sure how much I like it otherwise though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, there's a lot of strange turns of phrases that makes it harder to understand features than they need to be. And some general vagueness.
Stuff like the shield could be 'Stun enemy for 5 turns' instead of 'Stun enemy 5 times', and 'equipment chance' could absolutely be 'chance to find equipment' or something.
The Generals/Quests just feel machine translated. 'Maximum zone at least 35' could just be 'reach zone 35'.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Xerol posted:

Got this unlocked at 51 (why doesn't 50 have aluminum but 51 does?) but that doesn't seem to unlock any tin capacity upgrades.

When aluminium dropped off when you went too deep, the game mentioned that aluminium will keep popping in on depths divisible by 3. (51/3=17)
I think it'll say so when you hover over the resource as well.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The UI has a lot more stuff easily accessible on the github version atleast.
With the mine it shows mining + upgrades on the same screen for me, less tab-switching.

Busier sure, but I kinda prefer it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gooboo: Really wish notifications that announce that you've gotten an item stuck around until you dismissed them, like notes. I feel like I keep missing them, or just barely catching them out of the corner of my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

There are a couple really poo poo upgrades here and there in Gooboo that just annoy me, considering how long it takes to get the resources for them. (School/Books.)
Both the Shed and School in Village unlock new upgrades, so of course I want to get more levels of those! The bonus levels just give a tiny bonus to water storage, and knowledge, respectively. No additional upgrades, seems like.

e: I guess it's just the 'unlock another level of a building!', without knowing what that level actually gives, as a number of structures will give different bonuses depending on their level that annoys me a bit.
Some upgrades are blinder than others.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 14, 2023