Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Am I doing something wrong with the start of Evolve or is it supposed to be this slow? I'm at the point where I need thousands and thousands of knowledge to get anything but I'm still ~8 knowledge/s. Universities and libraries take shitloads of money, wood, stone, and cement but give a completely pathetic amount of knowledge, and cottages/cabins/farms for more population take just as long to build for a similarly pathetic increase in lumber/stone/cement per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

54, only up to Cottages, which are slow going because of how much cement is required.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Okay unless Evolve speeds up drastically after the first reset, or I'm doing something wrong, I don't think this is for me. I'm waiting for my soldiers to heal so I can go on more pillages since they're the only thing giving me meaningful resources, so I can get coal to get the Rotary Kiln because it's basically the only upgrade left that doesn't require Titanium (which I don't have and can't get yet), or only applies to crates/containers/mercenaries, and I get randomly attacked by a rival city and lose most of my soldiers, so now I have to wait another 20 minutes or something to try pillaging for coal again. This is super frustrating.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I've already got 14, getting more requires shitloads of wrought iron, and I'm only at like 6.2 coal/s with as many trade routes for it as I can afford.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Okay now that I'm passed the first run with Evolve I kind of "get it". That first one is AWFUL with how long it can take to get knowledge, or to see some research you desperately need but you're blocked off by a small amount of knowledge cap, but you can't get more because something else is capped, and you can't get more of that because you need to raise the cap on something ELSE to buy more barns, so then you have to do pillages and completely babysit the market/trading to get this one material to keep going, etc. etc. The second runthrough feels MUCH better though, having the plasmid and temples is a massive bonus. Not even a day's worth of stuff in and I have like twice as much knowledge/s as I did at the very end of my first.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Antimatter Dimensions normal challenge 8: do I still need to do Dimension Shift to get access to higher dimensions until I get to 8, then just sit on that building up sacrifices until the challenge is finished?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah I hate containers/crates just because making and assigning them is clunky and obnoxious.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I am far too dumb for Alkahistorian. :saddowns:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

gently caress me, it's like EVE Online was a text-based browser game. I'm in.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Arcanuse posted:

For folks who haven't, make a note to refresh Arcanum now and then.
Took a while to notice since the changelog isn't being updated at this time, but the version number is indeed going up.
...Dunno what's different, but got some unholy candles and the numbers over the mana bars seem easier to read.

Did Research caps get buffed in some way? Cause I accidentally closed the tab, reopened it, and had WAY more than before. Like, 10k, where previously it was 3000something.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

:thunk:

eta for MLG pro tip: Once you get I believe level 5 Chronomancy, you can get an upgrade that lets you do two things at once, so I have it set to training a skill and resting, so with that and all the mana spells and a mouse click spamming macro on my keyboard, new training is going super quickly.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 27, 2019

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I didn't have any bookcases, weird. Actually my max codices went down, from 670 to 570. I do have way more max tomes though.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

The thing is Arcanum has a lot of things I can just let idle while I do other stuff. Evolve was basically micromanaging ALL the time without any real breaks. The only obnoxious bit about Arcanum so far is selling and buying different furnitures to reach specific research/gold caps or something, but that's not an issue once you have bigger houses.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

What should I do after hitting 25 hindrance/25 quirks and all available upgrades, just grind quirks for the 4th quirk layer? I can't complete Skip the Second yet.

eta: I was able to do it, nevermind. :v:

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 7, 2020

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Anything good out recently that's not Synergism or Another Chronicle?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

pixaal posted:

it doesn't some people just have mental hang ups with this stuff. Other games do this for the same reason, it gets more buys.

It really absolutely doesn't. Games that charge for microtransactions use their own flavor of points explicitly because it's an easier purchase to make. Most people are more willing to spend $10 on some points and then buy what they want or save some for when something cool goes on sale, and disconnects the whole "you're paying $10 for your character to be a different shade of purple". The people with a dumb hangup of not spending money specifically because they don't want to buy points, they want to buy a thing directly, are in a pretty extreme minority. If this wasn't the case then the hugest microtransaction-heavy games on the market like League of Legends wouldn't be using Riot Points.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

FE000000: I just started my third eternity, where you start with all the normal challenges unlocked, and for some reason my early infinity points feel WAY slower than the second eternity. All my autobuyers are on and set back to normal values and everything but I just bought my first infinity gen #4 and it took 45 minutes.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Getting IG4 on Eternity 4 just took 33 minutes, which still feels too slow. It's like I'm stuck in a challenge or something. :confused:

GrossMurpel posted:

Did you remember to get 256 infinities? "You have 256 infinities, multiplying all infinity generators (IGs) by 1."

The Nerf Removal achievement? Yes.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Clicker Heroes 2, the idle game that they charged $30 for on Early Access release (it's still in EA lol), is now dead. Most of these problems were pointed out three years ago when it was first released, but I guess making a decent first game doesn't make you a good game dev or smart enough to see problems when they're pointed out.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yup. I mean, even back on release I was one of the people complaining on their subreddit that 2-3 days worth of content for an idle game you just charged me $30 for is absolutely pathetic, and it took them months to get anywhere passed that. And even after a year plus of development, the game was just....never fun. The skill systems weren't fun, the passive tree was really irritating to navigate and figure out, the macro system was a horrible pain in the rear end that locked QOL features for it behind huge grinds. It was just so bad compared to CH1 and was one of my big Steam EA regret.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I tried Synergism again and I hit a problem I keep seeing in idle games; after the game is updated for a while they speed early game up so hard you just ignore it. I almost unlocked ants within a single day, but I remember spending like a week on that whole section, or at least 4-5 days. This type of thing kills idle games for me, I don't want to just artificially blitz through early stuff, I want to actually play around with it and have those numbers in my head for a while, not go from nothing to "you have e5000 gold" within an hour.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

You can use Cookie Monster with the Steam version right now, you just have to make a couple of files to get it loaded. There's a guide on the Steam page.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would love to take the credit for this :v:

Seriously though I'm excited and totally gonna at least run it for a while. I wonder if they nerfed some of the early-mid walls so you don't need an autoclicker as badly?

e: just noticed the category that isn't ranged is "Meele building" hell yeah off to a good start

Fun fact, if you have a Razer mouse (other brands with their own customization software might have this too) you can set a button to "left click turbo click 20 times a second", like one of the DPI adjustment buttons nobody ever uses.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

neongrey posted:

Why aren't my planks automating???

e: nvm figured it out. lack of text while cute hurts a lot

Please explain what you did, I don't get it. :saddowns:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yes, you get apples from making logs, so I think you just got ridiculously unlucky. I had way, WAY more than I ever needed long before I got any orchards.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

The pickaxe upgrade is basically a multiplier on the pickaxe, it's very important, especially later when your main bottleneck is stone for lava and ores.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Also, get 2-3 charcoal miners ASAP. You'll hit a point very easily, without building bricks, where you're using coal faster than you're getting it with a single miner.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

It's a pickaxe upgrade, therefore it's shown on the pickaxe, and the harvest time on the ores is updated too. What about that doesn't make sense?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

pixaal posted:

I do not mean the pickaxe level I mean the one that uses energy, it does not update the harvest count on ore it stays the same when it completes.

This

does not effect this

it does effect this (which produces nothing)

Dude, the tooltip of the pickaxe literally shows you what the pickaxe is harvesting. You even cut it out of your screenshot.

See that stone icon on the bottom? That's what the pickaxe is harvesting, and will harvest faster with the upgrade. And yes, the number on the stone DOES update when you get a pickaxe upgrade, the x.xxx/s number that shows how many you're getting how quickly. Lord allfucking mighty.

Toshimo posted:

I haven't found this to be the case at all. 1 Charcoal Miner has been keeping me net positive for quite a while.

When you start getting more metalwork factories 1 charcoal miner stops being enough real fast.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 8, 2021

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Lilli posted:

Also the pickaxe upgrade does increase the mining speed on stone, not the efficiency multiplier in the top right. You'll see the x/s number go up after upgrading it.

Pickaxe upgrades increase pickaxe efficiency, more pickaxes increases stone efficiency. Which is weird because buying more regular axes doesn't increase eff. for logs to get more seeds/apples.

pixaal posted:

I know that it mines stone what I was looking at was the stone where it shows the summary, that is what should be updated. Not even the stone / s was updated.

You seem to be missing the point entirely you really don't need to be so rude about a game with no feedback, what are you the dev?

Yes, the stone/s did in fact update for you when you bought a pickaxe upgrade (unless you have a magically bugged version of the game open that nobody else does), you just didn't see it. I'm literally telling you how these things work and you're arguing with me about them and being completely wrong about it. I misspoke when I said pickaxe upgrade reflect in ore, I meant stone, but it DOES reflect on stone. The game is giving you all of this information, you're just choosing not to see it.

eta:

15 pickaxes at level 7.

15 pickaxes at level 8.

16 pickaxes at level 8.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 8, 2021

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Seems like iron will always be a huge cockblock, for some reason it's slower (and more expensive) than the other two to make and it's needed for everything.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Pretty sure something is up with Resource Grid's chances of getting rarer materials. I have about a 13% chance to get a sapphire stone right now and I just watched my shiny stone tick over 50something times before I got one.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I already had used half a prestige's worth of sapphires, they just randomly stopped dropping from shiny stones for like two minutes.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Considering what happened had like a 0.0002% chance of occurring, I think "it's a bug" is a pretty safe bet.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

How did ya'll set up the automators for chapter 1? I'm still unlocking them.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Re: Incremental Mass Rewritten

What am I supposed to be doing at this stage? The next element is a huge distance away and I have nothing else to work on, not even close to any other challenge completions and mass dilation gives nothing, all upgrades purchased and all autobuyers are on, etc.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yup, I went to take a poo poo and came back to a new screen. :v:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Really Grass Cutting Incremental is fun but wow does it run like hot butthole.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Do NOT click on the white ??? challenges, they'll reset your crystal upgrades and perks. That just lost me a good several hours.

eta: lol it reset all the other challenges too, basically it full reset me except I kept the automation and platinum purchases. Yeah nevermind this.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Kiwi Clicker - how should I set up the autobuyer ratios for carpentry path runs?