Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I started playing incremental games on my phone again because I picked up Magical Research on a whim and fell in love with it. I really appreciate an idle game where it has a spell to make the whole game run twice as fast, it speaks to the Dev's willingness to give you cool poo poo rather than saying "you must play for X hours, put your phone down for two days to advance"

I also like the new runescape game, although I'm not entirely clear what I'm building up to. I suppose it's all combat stuff but it's easy enough to just let the game run idle to get a lot of cash, so it's less active than something like Magical Research. As someone who used to play runescape it's fun nostalgia but also part of the large focus on crafting in the game was the market, where here it is just skilling for cash. Still, it's fun for what it is. I just wish I didn't have to go through seven loading screens when launching it on mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cerepol posted:

Bank tabs are the organizing things at the top, they are not bank slots, slots are shared among all bank tabs

Yeah, your bank doesn't care if you have everything in one tab or twenty, it all uses the same pool of slots.

I'm sorry about your 100 million gold, that hurts :negative:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I bought it because I liked the game it is based off of, and it's fun enough. It is exactly what it appears to be, a flat UI with bars going up and down, but balancing things out is pretty fun if you are into that.

There should be a demo, at least there was one when I bought it at release.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I've started playing Farmers Versus Potatoes Idle after seeing it in the thread, it has the worst UI in the world but it's kind of neat. However, I'm not really clear on how reincarnation works. I get that there are levels and points and such, but how do the other classes that you can pick play into it? If you spread out the class levels do you get more reincarnation XP?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Klungar posted:

Yes, the purpose for the other classes are running their class-specific challenges, and earning Talent Points for all the other classes to use. Eventually, you will get automatic progress in challenges and have high enough class levels that you only need a single class' worth of progress to max out your talent board, at which point you just run Freeloader 24/7, because it is the best class.

Okay, so it's not "spread out levels to all classes", it's "get the good points and them move over to the next one". Thanks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm playing Melvor Idle right now, but does anyone have any other recommendation for good idle RPG games for mobile? I don't mind paying to play so long as it is good. I adored Magical Research but I beat it so now it's over.

I'm kind of falling off of IFVP, it just doesn't really grab me visually or gameplay wise.

I see people talking about Ironwood here but it kind of seems like another version of Melvor, is that inaccurate?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 29, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

FAPI has been great for crossplay between PC/Android versions, dead simple compared to Melvor and I'm less scared about overwriting stuff. That probably stretches your definition of an RPG though. Also the game certainly has an acquired taste.

Sorry, I got the acronym wrong, FAPI is the one that I wasn't super into. It's fine but I think I'm not into the visual style of it, and I don't find the "collect 10 quadrillion items" cookie clicker-scale games as fun.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 29, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks, I've been trying this and it's pretty good. Are there any Before I Play kind of tips for it? Like I just found out you are supposed to be Dark Ritual resetting constantly to build up inspiration way faster than letting it build to higher values.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SynthesisAlpha posted:

At some point in the forest you get the opportunity to repeatedly eat bread. This will unlock a new mechanic for progression so prioritize it the moment it opens up.

Thanks, I think I know where I need to go for that but I'm hard capped on gold until I clear some harder dungeons.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

That what to level first guide is pretty complex, I did the same thing (leveling firemaking to 99 to get the skill cape) by a significantly easier method: swapping between trees and firemaking for four days while doing other poo poo since it's an idle game.

It's interesting that fishing was the path that was selected. It makes sense as the path to those rings but I found fishing very tedious when starting the game because it would absolutely overrun your bank slots with trash within an hour.

Lilli posted:

I'm kind of glad that melvor did the free on epic thing for the base game during the advent calendar thing they were doing because I tried the free/demo version of the game twice and just totally bounced off of it. I feel like the interconnectedness of the game really doesn't come through without at least owning the base game, the skills available in the demo are simply too limiting.

Yeah that's the only reason I'm playing it, because I was able to try it for free through Epic first.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 31, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One thing about Melvor that helps with a lot of that is that everything is infinite. Some items are super rare drops you have to grind for, but besides that if you are given some random ore by an enemy and end up selling it just to clear out space then more of that ore is just one screen and four seconds away.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I didn't even catch on that the armor upgrades were a joke about armor trimming, that's funny.

While I like the idea of magic combat a lot I found that the damage done to you during it was way too risky for most idle combat, so I keep a full set of high grade armor on hand (just rune, not drops, but still) just to farm with and to train health/prayer/defense. You can idle on combat a lot easier in it just because cloth offers gently caress all protection and it doesn't work well with the auto eat system as a result.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Xerol posted:

The nice thing about magic armor is they get good damage reduction stats without needing upgrades. I don't think this applies to the first tier though. Damage reduction and your auto-eat threshold are the only things that actually matter for survivability (and having enough food, which mostly comes up when you start on dragons). Defense ratings only affect the chance to be hit, you could crank it up to 999,999 and still take full damage the 0.01% of the times an attack gets through.

Fair point, you might pentuple the amount of food that you eat but you do survive it if you have proper DR instead of a dice roll. I was just trying to grind out higher auto eat levels, but that does make more sense as well.

That's good to hear because Runescape's "cheat magic is balanced because runes are a pain to get" system works really well when runes are not hard to get.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 1, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bann posted:

Your Chronicle is on mobile as well. Its been discussed in the thread in the past more extensively. I really liked it!

I've been playing this quite a bit (on the fourth zone now) and the systems are neat, but I will say that the offline math is pretty shaky. I understand that trying to calculate things as if they were running in real time but condensing 8 hours into 5 seconds is probably a programming nightmare; but I had it off for 8 hours last night and it seems to have completed the routines correctly but things like running dungeons and doing loop tasks only completed maybe 20 minutes worth.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tei posted:

Theres also a dimishing returns thing, where you get less resources from the 2th offline day than 1th offline day. And you don't get some resources, If I remember correctly.

Also some game rewards include better offline stats.

There is, but I feel like combat is calculated weirdly. It keeps happening where I'll go offline for 8 hours at 50% efficiency and the combat results when I come back are like 60 monsters killed when in real time I can kill one every couple seconds.

I wonder if there may be some bug where efficiency applies to you and not the enemy so they are attacking at full speed while you only get half speed, meaning you lose the vast majority of fights.

In other news, I got level 2 auto eat in Melvor which has been wonderful. It was offset by accidentally forgetting to turn off auto combat before going to bed last night and losing my firemaking cape, but that's "cheap" to replace. Focusing on magic has been really good, especially when I realized that the curses can drop the enemy attack even further below your eat threshold so long as you can consistently hit them. I wouldn't offline combat that way but it can take down some barriers at least, especially since auto eat doesn't reset your attack.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 2, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is there any point in buying the expansions for Melvor if you are just starting the dungeon ladder climb, or is it all endgame content?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sounds good, thanks all. I ended up just getting both since they're just five bucks, I've been into it enough that I think I'll end up using both.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

YourChronicle is a funny game. At the start you are killing monsters and ranking up final fantasy style. Then partway through it turns into a one man restaurant simulator.

"I need three bread, four grilled fish, 25 pork, six anchovies sandwiches, and a slime NOW!"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jhet posted:

There should never be gameplay affecting micro transactions in a one person game unless it’s easily gained via regular play. You want to put in something make it cosmetic or just charge for the game. It’s too much of a long grind to unlock just the basics though so I won’t be seeing most of the game.

Imo it's not really a big deal for a single player idle game to have micros that just make the game run faster, it's not stopping you from playing the game slower. It's more of an issue with Yourchronicle's gating system where you have to have a certain cap of a resource to pass gates and individual monsters can only level so high, so if you can't put more monsters in your squad with the same cap buffs then you have to grind the gently caress out of your own stats to brute force gates and get higher tier monsters.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

goferchan posted:

Is YC like that? I only did a few playthroughs, never pushed for anything beyond the first ending, but while it was a pain in the rear end managing my party config for resource caps sometimes I was never in a situation where I actually couldn't do what I needed without extra slots. Would have just made it less of a pain in the rear end.

Monetization seemed well in line with stuff like NGU, Untitled Space Game, etc. -- in fact there was even less stuff in Your Chronicle that seemed tempting to spend money on than in those games.

Yeah I haven't had an actual issue yet, although I did get the starter pack that gave some auto-stuff that helps. There have been points where i thought i was stuck but it turned out i just didnt understand some function of the game, sometimes because of the terrible UI. It might get worse later though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I wasted so much of my time in YourChronicle because I didn't key into the fact that it's a reincarnation loop game and you aren't supposed to unlock the ability to beat the tournament. I finished a lot of delivery and grind missions to see if anything new unlocked but then I gave up and one shot the demon king. :negative:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Devor posted:

Yeah, my chief complaint is that it's not always clear what your "next" thing you need to do is, and if you are going to be able to clear it on this reincarnation

It's neat when it works and you find yourself with a new area or ability because of a chain, but also it means when you don't get anything after grinding out a chain you despair.

I didn't spend *that* much time on it, since after I beat my dad for the last time I went "well clearly I'm missing something" and just went to graduate, but it's still dumb at times.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

goferchan posted:

After your second reincarnation you'll unlock the ability to queue up multiple actions but it only works for actions you've completed at least once before. So even if you couldn't reach the end, knocking some of those chains out partially early means you can at least queue them later

Oh good, it wasn't a waste of time. I got that ability and it rocks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

People say that township in Melvor Idle is a great source of passive income but lord, it takes a lot of investment. You need, what, 40,000 population to unlock the town hall? And then another 100M to build one? bbbbbbbbbbb

It's a lot but at least in terms of the population it's not egregious. My biggest issue at the start was that I didn't understand how health and happiness affected population, percent wise. But yeah buying the actual town hall is pretty nuts, I'm going to be level 120 in township before I can even get close.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

For those who have played Your Chronicle, can you help me understand why offline isn't working the way I expect it to?

I set up a order list to make holy water, which is a fully contained cycle that doesn't need dungeon drops. Over seven hours of offline (so supposedly 50% speed) it made three of the precursor potions and that's it. However, after 17 minutes of offline later this morning it made 2 holy waters in 17 minutes, which is more what I was expecting. Is there something with the way it calculates offline math that isn't working how I expect?

https://imgur.com/a/l8Iy7K6

I suspect it may have to do with the MP not regenerating when you are offline, since my magic cap should have increased by more than one point as well, and that requires full MP to start another level. However, too many herbs were grown for it to be just that, since I can only grow 64 of them off my cap of 16 earth MP

E. Actually, I think I figured it out. It lists all of your routines that you ran in your offline summary, but it doesn't have the "Convert MP to X" routine listed. What I made in herbs matches close to what I'd expect if I burned through all my MP and then had the slow regen without active conversion making up the rest. Must be a bug.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 13, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Orvin posted:

The offline sloth loops are always super funky. Even when you get pretty far into the game and have a bunch of bonuses and things, you make way less then you would expect if you have any of your loops going. Doesn’t matter if it is cycling through dungeons or loop actions. I am guessing it is how the shorthand calculations work, that it can’t quickly simulate the loop dependencies well, so it just doesn’t.

I have found it best to just try and set up something that doesn’t need those sloth loops running. Just pick a particular dungeon to run, and a single loop action to go through. It’s not the best, but can get you XP or research, or food to consume, etc.

Yeah it's super fiddly, especially since sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think I've found a way to help by equipping a +MP regen party member that gives +0.5 regen, which seems to calculate properly when offline, at least for short distances. Without it I can go offline and then come back 5 minutes later to see my MP half gone, with it the bar stays fairly full and the processes run correctly. We'll just have to see if it lasts 5+ hours.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is anyone else having trouble loading Melvor? I tried to log on and it refused to allow me to load it. There is also a note at the top saying that it's the demo version now.

E. Never mind, I guess it just fixed itself

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 16, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

I'm really enjoying Your Chronicle but I feel like I hit a wall at the Tea Party: I don't have any actions that give me Pork, and all my combat zones are foo far above my survivability/damage output. My feeling is that I should be grinding out Dark Rituals and Rituals to boost my rank, but I don't get a ton of dark ritual progress until I'm looking at 24h+ runs. Any suggestions?

You should be able to run the other two combat zones fairly easily, especially the first one, but even then it's worth it to just grind through them repeatedly to build up research (allows you to summon monsters and raises caps on current monsters) and seeds (stat bonuses). Make sure that you are dumping seeds into your stats and your summoned monster's stats. Also, for tougher fights, it's a good idea to keep you at the end of the party list so that your summons can tank hits for you.

However I don't think you have to 100% the tea party to keep going, you should have enough Destiny to leave the village without feeding the Bully pork.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

if i own melvor on steam can i play it on my phone or do i need to buy it again?

You can play it on your phone, I did the same for the epic store

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Your Chronicle: I've either hard locked myself or missed something crucial. I'm at Academic/Coastal Cities, but I can't progress farther as I'm destiny capped and all of the fights available (Rocky Road, Tournament 2, Intermediate Class) need like 10x the stats I have. The only thing that's even a little option is to manually grind the Purification Slime each time I hit 50 mucus and hope that it'll have enough stats eventually to carry or that the Weird Man who wants 100 Pure Slime research unlocks something useful. Idk. I'm remembering why I bounced off this so hard the first time.

Did you make the bread for the chef in the second zone to unlock Gluttony? If you did, make sure you are farming pork off the orc boss to get buffed up, it makes a huge difference in your stats. Additionally, if you do the spear training (assuming you did warrior path) then you can get a stronger, faster attack that carries a lot of the game.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 22, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Do the Dark Ritual a few times while feeding yourself a lot and you'll unlock an auto-eat function that you can use to buff that into the hundreds pretty easily.

As an efficiency note I wouldn't bother with things like Mushrooms unless you happen to have them on hand since they take exponentially longer to farm than the boss drops.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Toshimo posted:

I maybe confused about Dark Ritual (which may be the underlying problem). Is it like NUMBER in NGU where I should be hitting the reset when it gets significantly higher? Or should I be smashing that button much more often, even if my talent will be lower?

This is my current SR/DR:

Oh no you should be hitting dark ritual as often as you can unless you are gunning to unlock a certain gate. It adds to your max multipliers for gluttony and gives you a bunch of inspiration as you blow through the first 15+ ranks in an instant. Talent doesn't really matter unless you are going for a rank gate, and you can rank up pretty fast if you just let it go overnight and DR in the morning.

It's really deceptive, I had the same confusion at the start.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Your Chronicle: I was today years old when I found out that titles actually had to be equipped to do things. This is one of those real feelbad moments in these sort of games where there's just so much clutter on the screen that you don't notice an incredibly loadbearing tiny thing in one corner that has left you playing in hardmode the entire time.

Yeah there is a lot of poo poo like that. I'd warn you that if you are using party templates then the title changes with them, so don't change your party and then not have a title assigned to them. I've accidentally left my title as the wrong thing while doing that many times.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hand Row posted:

Paragon Pioneers 2 is out in some regions or otherwise pretty soon for everyone else. Available on mobile and steam. Also like the first one there’s a free demo version that lets you play the starting island.

Pretty excited as it seems like the first one but just more. More resource types, more building types, more units etc. Added skill system as well.

Playing this and it's interesting but it truly is an idle game bordering on Farmville. Popping in to do something then waiting a few hours to move around lol.

Is there any way to make a trade route go both directions or is it entirely one direction? E. Looks like there is a "Convert to complex trade route" option that does this.

Also, i assume that when two buildings share a space that means that they share it equally, or is there a balance there for who was there first? I notice it with things like sheep and pigs getting mixed together.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 15, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I've been playing Paragon Pioneers 2 and having a good time with it, but I wish it had taken a few more tips from Anno in regards to setting up trade routes. It's annoying to set up complex trade routes, just because it involves so much scrolling, making something like "provide X to all islands" a mess. But perhaps more of an issue is that the boats fill whatever there is to have, which makes mixed shipments a problem. If you have a boat moving coal and iron, and the starting destination has more coal, then you end up with a boat full of coal. I wish that it worked like Anno where you had a per-slot lock and it would prefer to leave others empty than backfill with new stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

So I ended up asking in their discord and you can actually lock items into slots. The feature is named “apply action at cargo hold position” which, shockingly, I did not interpret as "reserve slots for items" because that title doesn't mean anything.

explosivo posted:

Yeah I think those are the same things that sorta turned me off of the first one. It's just kind of a hassle to set up complex trade routes which it sounds like maybe isn't what you should be doing anyway. I was trying to play it too much like Anno and it's just not that so I stopped playing it after a while. I haven't tried the sequel beyond the demo, but it did sorta feel like more of the same in that regard so I didn't get this one.

You really do need to play like Anno with boats running all over the place, and it's not *too* arduous to set up things since most places only need a one way route. It just gets more tricky when you try to make more efficient routes, which is fairly easily solved by just making a million boats.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I've finally completed the town halls in Melvor...at last, I can stop my one man extermination of the world's whale population.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man Melvor really opens up once you have a steady cash flow from Townships, I don't know how it was playable before they were implemented. You have to spend millions upon millions of gold to level up things like summoning, and if you were doing that just with fishing or whatever it would be a nightmare.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

goferchan posted:

Magic Research 2 has a lengthy demo out (progress will carry to full game, also available on Steam and Android) with the full version slated in the next couple months. Didn't 100% it or anything, but I just finished playing the first one and found it very fresh despite a few rough edges. I'm definitely down to check out a sequel.

Oh no. 100%ing MR1 was what got me into this genre. I don't think my marriage can withstand a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

NachtSieger posted:

Please buy marriage upgrades to maximize your marital happiness per second.

Marriage idle game where you repeatedly marry someone and start a family and then restart again to do it a bit faster, and then the endgame is all your abandoned children coming together to kill you