Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I have begun NGUing and have found I am compelled to max out any item as soon as it's theoretically possible. I have unfortunately included the forest pendant and looty on this list.
____
___:mcnally:
_____:goku:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

pixaal posted:

Oh, that's not going to work. You will need approximately 9 quadrillion of each, don't worry later places drop higher leveled versions. I'm not joking

:thejoke:

As if i didn't rush to read the whole wiki the instant looty popped out of the pit to make sure there was a way to max him and that I didn't have to worry about permanently losing the chance to max an item

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

NGVux when Vox. Caustic Soda, add it. But hello friend.

I have 4 of 5 of [spoiler]The Unmentionable's[/url] rings now, just missing Utility. And Might is already vastly better than the paperweight, and I just got Looty transformed.

NGVux would basically be escalating and extending the challenge system, based on my limited perception so far. Yeesh these seem time-costly. But idk the game and its underlying design well enough to write game design fanfic yet.

no wait that's a lie I would add a Crush Crush dating sim layer, but with romancing inanimate objects.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What about Mayo McCheese

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Shadowstar posted:

Are there any idle games that have an attached roguelike or roguelike components? I feel this is something I’d love. The adventure modes in early games like a Dark Room don’t seem to have been explored very deeply.

Cookie Clicker's been working on something like this for a couple years.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

something, you may find it helpful to run your game or art through a colorblindness simulator like, for instance, Color Oracle: https://colororacle.org/ or other similar free products.

That can save you an iteration on design, and still let you do more than have a black and white option. The making games thread has a few posts with other similar accessibility resources.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Shadowstar posted:

Is there a beta I could check out?

details on accessing it here:

https://cookieclicker.fandom.com/wiki/Dungeons

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Proposal for a new challenge: 100 levels...for the whole challenge instead of per rebirth.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Something, will it be possible to get all of the portraits, e.g. the event ones we've missed such as the naughty vs nice one we didn't select?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

NGU

18 day rebirth and I beat Godmother, now I have wishes.

Ok, that is complicated.

Oh and I'm not gonna rebirth for a day just to beat her a few more times, my drop rate with her was better than with the previous zone. Oh and bought pink heart and threw it in the kitty daycare.

I'm right around the same point. bear in mind that several of the wishes are absolute first action things to get, especially if you're hanging out on that rebirth.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm partway into evil (just unlocked wishes a bit ago) and my adventure progression is comically far behind my main attack/defense. I've got a titan and three areas unlocked that I can't even touch. What am I missing?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Just to confirm before I uninstall it, is there anything more to Cookie Clicker after you've unlocked the 4 minigames and done a couple of resets/unlocked the season switcher?

Achievements and upgrades is all at present.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm grinding away at my longstanding game of cookie clicker, and the stock market is absolutely stymying me. I know to buy low and sell high, and I have all the upgrades and 50 brokers. It still takes for ever to get a profit. I'm at 1% progress toward the shadow achievement after months. What am I missing to speed things up?

Also, related: can I cleanly transfer my online save to the steam game?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm at level 10 everything but cursors (which are level 12), I've got the palace of greed, 75 brokers, and it's still a snail's pace. I think it's just that I'm not idling enough, and I'm buying too high - I just hate the "watch for pot to boil" of it all. I'll rework my chart based on these recs.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 17, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm also missing all those vital NGU bestiary lore entries.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

In Evolve, I don't understand what the icons of different sorts to the right of the perks/feats/achievements correspond to.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That's all very helpful. I just started a run, probably much earlier than I should have, with all four of the challenge conditions (no plasmid carryover effects, no manual crafting, no free trade, junk gene), and I look forward to seeing the outcome, which will hopefully start making more sense. I also see I have a gold bunny and egg from easter, but no icon from the perk I got from playing on valentine's day; very confusing.

What do people mean when they say "4*"? Is that the four challenge conditions above?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 19, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

So what I'm hearing is I need to run 4*s all year to get all these gold icons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Cookie Clicker just got a new update. New building, a new tier of upgrades and some other stuff

I'm trying to noodle the stock market changes, since I'm still at around 3% progress on the drat one year earnings achievement.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Very helpful, thanks. It sounds like this will at least make the year earnings achievement for the stock market easier!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I finished getting gaseous assets and immediately took the opportunity to transfer to cookie clicker on steam. Months and months after starting into that dead-end shadow achievement, and now I can finally start finishing the rest of it again- my thanks to the folks who gave me advice on it!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I just unlocked the second sigil and I find that I'm not experiencing as much pain as others because I'm simply pouring each sigil's power into increasing its power rate, then idling to get the unlocks that reduce the manual reset parts of the grind ASAP. Other bonuses come afterwards. Like, I can see that ending losing score for feeding dragons costs 750 power, I can see how much I get over time, I can go touch grass or read a book and boom, that big part of the manual resetting grind is gone.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 15, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Idle Games: the beatings will continue until the numbers go up

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I’m nearing Sadistic myself; I’m hoping for an update that finishes the bestiary and gives me some way to get the seasonal portraits I missed. I know I’m going to max absolutely everything.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I think I'm continuing to play dodecadragons just to understand where it's going wrong.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bloodly posted:

https://www.theresmoregame.com/play/

One I was directed to recently. Don't know how I feel about it. So I want to subject it to the thread's analysis.

At first blush it appears...remarkably similar...to evolve.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

This game really satisfies the numbers go up itch and is fun for a few hours but the numbers are very unbalanced so you end up almost skipping entire features because you blast through them. The UI is a mess, possibly the worst UI i have ever experienced in an idler. Its worse than Dodecadragons. Its basically Dodeca's UI (separate "boxes" for each feature) but you can only look at one box at a time and you need to navigate between the boxes with an arrow system rather than jumping straight to the one you want.

I've played further than you, I suspect, and the skipping features thing is deliberate- later reset dynamics require you to minimally use one of the functions (Grasshop) that is the source of all the skipping.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 30, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

At times the quasi-idle gamification of this sort of thing makes me wish I could develop a way to get nerds to, idk, digitize the backlog of the federal register, or harmonize food lists, or any one of the other major grindy backlog infrastructure tech debt things the government has sitting around.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah I wasn't thinking of fungible incentives so much as something closer to folding at home, with lots of crosschecking and emphasis on the public benefit.

This would be things like, e.g., making sure the housing credit rule on page 8 of this document from 1947 gets autoscanned into the conventional, fully searchable, online format the modern federal register uses without any errors. A surprising amount of this stuff is still on the books, and having the surrounding documents be accessible is really important. The current federal register is fantastic and they're working their way backwards in time, but they've only gotten to 1994- and there are sometimes significant errors that make people have to seek out and parse these archival scans. It wouldn't be all that hard to stick up a big green progress bar of the outstanding archive and log crosschecks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nervous posted:

This part was an initial stumbling block for me as I entirely missed there were side screens that listed these as next targets. I feel like I'm a bit stuck again except for grinding out stars now that I've done one reset with only 16 grasshops. Don't want to try and do fewer yet as that last one took long enough already.

Something seems to be borked on my file with the anti-grass; it's running impossibly slow after maxing near everything else. Nothing spawns, period. It's taken all day to get to half a level.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Cimber posted:

Well, I just made it to Evil in NGU. Oh God, what the hell have I done.

Get the "welcome to evil" upgrades, and go right back to normal and max out basically every challenge other than the 24 hours one. The slow start self-resolves remarkably quickly, and speaking as someone who just started sadistic, the next difficulty jump is more of a blip.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 22, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm most of the way through dodecadragons, so I'm seeing it through...this is the most active idle game I've ever encountered.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

13,889 golden cookie clicks in cookie clicker. I am finally past the halfway point.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I really wish I could fill that missing bestiary slot in NGU, or unlock more enemy flavor text.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I can tell I need to use the advanced combo guides for cookie clicker to finish the game in the next decade, but I can't make heads nor tails of them. Can anyone lay out some effective combos without assuming that I've already memorized a list of acronyms?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks for letting me know they'd reactivated the game, that let me finish it off.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

I got the Sacrificial Dagger but I still can't even scratch the 3rd boss in Super Turtle Idle. I'm stuck at level 30 I feel like I should be unlocking talents or classes but am unsure how to progress. Best armor I can get seems to be from the second boss tiger so I've started farming it more.

Basic rule of the game seems to be that bosses are usually something you skip and come back to later. At this point you should soon be able to clear the first arena "showdown" and start grinding the first dungeon. In practice, maxing every piece of equipment you haven't yet is worthwhile for the associated bonuses.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I never bothered to make one of the net guns, prioritizing the grinding of equipment asap, and it will pay off to take that approach.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Saraiguma is correct, the enemy boss in that dungeon is too high level for the netgun. You just want to get a damage combo that overpowers them; I recommend maxing out the dojo boss outfit and using a food-ring-weapon-stamp damage combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

re: turtle game, there's something off with the damage calc, possibly order of operations, such that a significant multiplier is apparently usually worse than a flat increase (see, e.g., the nature damage rings).

The stealing skill is a must have, as are the reversal card, purifier and defensive skills. The regen skill is worthless, and in practice the skills changing the present minigame aren't worthwhile either.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 30, 2024