Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

This was a really fast play, but I'd agree that it was a good prototype. It had some good easy ramp, and there's plenty of room for expanding on the theme. I really liked the increasing globals, and turned it off a little too long after there wasn't anything else that could be done at the cap of content. I'd hope it gets more content.

Venuz Patrol posted:

the work order page warns you ahead of time about bad math, so i dont see why anyone is complaining

Work orders are fine. Annoying, but fine. It's the constant balancing of production that's keeping me from spending more time with it. Even using all the beacons I have access to use, I've ended up with too little space to balance the system on the first two maps. That's without changing things to fill work orders. There's some definite frustration in trying to grind up research too, and I'm really limited by low tiers not being able to have enough production to even support 1 square of t4 productions (also Cogs, wtf, I keep getting stuck needing 16 of them for 1 wheel and I have no idea how I screwed up prod/speed bonuses so much, but I know it's because of it), much less run them fast enough to get to buy research more than once or twice a day and also be able to fill work orders.

So I expect the complaining comes from people being unable to catch back up on research, bdsm bonuses, and relics by buying whatever they can as soon as they can. It makes them entirely out of balance in their supply chain that any change screws the whole thing (said because I've done exactly that). And with the researches using t4 juice, it's a hard hole to dig out of, but possible eventually. If you come over from NGU Idle where buying upgrades is basically always going to make the next thing easier, it's a lesson to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ErIog posted:

One thing that helped me laddering up new tech tiers was basically not bothering to build the new tier at all until I had gotten some upgrades. Materials, including tech upgrade materials, drop from the ISOPOD at a pretty decent pace. Instead of taking forever to build all the intermediate materials for a new tier yourself it can be more efficient to simply wait for a few dozen to drop from the ISOPOD while you grind the other upgrade materials you'll need. You can then put those upgrade materials into researches that solve the issues you find while building out your supply chain for the new tier.

BDSM upgrades can help, but it can be difficult to get BDSM consistently in the early game because there's a lot of variance on the size of work orders.

Relics also have some extremely powerful effects on production and don't take that many materials to upgrade. Instead of doing work orders you might look into making sure all your relics are as upgraded as possible if you already haven't.

Yeah, I've figured all of it out, but I dug myself a deep hole. It's taken about 3 days to rebalance most of t2-3 from the first map again, but it's caught up okay. I'll unlock the 3rd island and just use it for running more z1 materials for a while. Relics have that speedbump of BDSM too, but getting them slowly coming from isopod leveled it out to where production was. So, there's ways to do it, but I had to duck into the discord to see if there were tips and tricks laying around instead of just starting a new save.

So it's high marks for making me actually think for an incremental game.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there something that will raise the quality of my NGU cards? It's all a sea of crap not worth the mayo.

Same as normal. Perks, quirks, wishes, equip set bonuses. And use tags. And a challenge rewards to help get more mayo/cards. It's pretty spread out, but the only thing worse than bad cards is no cards and a pile of mayo that you never use.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I mean for Tiers, yeah, but like, I get a handful of Good or Okay or Hot drat cards and an ocean of Bad and Meh .

That’s pretty normal. There’s a set bonus from the 70s zone that changes your crappy card rate, but you’ll just yeet the garbage cards to fuel your Mayo rate. I don’t think you can afford to buy each card, or if you ever can I’m not close to it yet.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DariusLikewise posted:

Once you finish Troll 2 in Sad and you have the fertilizer quirk is there any reason not to just rebirth immediately after harvesting Ygg at 22:50 in a rebirth? It might hurt banks a little bit I guess, but I want to double dip on my MacGuffin Muffins

You're not really double dipping on them. The post sad Troll 2 guffins is linear until 24hr and there's no difference in gain between regular 24h-ish rb anymore. So do 22.5h if that's convenient for you, and between there and 24h you're not creating a difference except for what goes on the number at that moment in time (but it'll just get added on from your next rb).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cowman posted:

Is there a way to import this setup to NGU or do I have to manually put down everything?

Manual. But it makes for a good blueprint.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

is anyone still playing Synergism? 'Cause I could really use some advice on how to get past this wall where I've unlocked Ascension but I can't seem to get the rewards high enough to really make it worth using a bunch, and I still have three more Talismans I need to unlock

Yeah. But I don’t remember that part of the game very well. I think I was running with timed resets, but that changed with an equation change making it unnecessary. There’s a super active discord with tons of strats pinned and broken into the different parts of the game. I’d definitely check there to get over the hump.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, it took less than a week for me to grind up the stuff for alpha. I expect it to slow down from here, but who knows.

Discord is absolutely the worst place for these things and I don't know why they can't just put it on a google doc or something instead. I'd expect they type it in a word processor before posting, so just uggh. At least I don't have to block a million wiki ads anymore?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

skooma512 posted:

I've been hopelessly addicted to Evolve at work.

It's really nice to have a script though. It's such a load off not having to manually do military and espionage stuff, as well as just letting it play itself during the civilization phase.

Not going to lie, that one left me bored pretty quickly. Not because it's bad, but because the micro managing the military and espionage just took too much time without being interesting. Press button, wait for both too long to repeat and too short for the gains, repeat. If there's a way to automate that to even just repeat the same settings, then I'm going to take a second look.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

skooma512 posted:

https://github.com/TMVictor/Evolve-Scripting-Edition/

Agreed on the military and espionage bit. Way too much manual input for something so rote. The tampermonkey script is set out in like modules so you can automate what you want, how you want, even if you only want it to manage the war bits.

Note that the "Scripting Edition" is deprecated, but that page gives you instructions on how to install the Vollch script you'll use instead.

Cool, thanks for the link. I opened up the game and found a save for it that still works, so maybe this will help get me past the annoying bit so my Shroom people will have a chance in the world before I destroy them all.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

I flailed around and figured something that would work until I got to the cube and cube unlocks labeled alpha and beta. They require you to do some really obtuse stuff to break a few long standing mechanics to completely break the game. (My guess is someone figured it out when it was intended as a wall while new content was made and completed it early so that just became the way to do it).

There's supposed to be a revamp to smooth out early game to help people more easily get to end game.

Once I get frustrated with an idle game I go check the Discord for some help and see if I can take it from there after going oh poo poo I never would have thought to do that! Like who would drive their car down the highway at 100MPH and think that would get them 10,000 times better results but it does! (obviously not an actual game mechanic don't want to spoil people working through the game as a puzzle).

Yeah, I got all the way up to unlocking the first row of platonic upgrades without assistance in Synergism. Then there was a wall so I checked discord. Except now there's basically only one way to play and push into the next rows of upgrades and they require using the mechanics in unintuitive ways. So I'm about checked out on it. You shouldn't have to trick the game into letting you gain the currency you need to trick the game into letting you do something else. The worst part of it is that you can't use all the researches in these late game builds, because the only way to gain cube currencies is to nerf them into the ground and jump through 3 hoops to pull off the trick. Just not fun gameplay there.

The beginnings of the game and while you're unlocking the different cubes was fun and easy enough to figure out by trying different things, so it's worth a play up until there if you like that sort of game (unless you're a completionist, in which case maybe think twice).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

Yeah turns into a slog where the dev clearly had real life issues and someone found a way to brute force the wall down and instead of back porting a real solution everyone just rolled with it. (kinda common in idle games). Once you break through Beta, the current end game is a joke and takes a week to get to the Omega wall. Which is looking to be planned as the ending so I'm planning to see where this goes. Dev sounds like he's having an awful time with real life right now.

That’s all fair, but it’s too bad. I have no problems with 12-24hr runs or anything, but the ‘solution’ is just futzy. I’m at the point where SD8 should be what I use, but I don’t have the time to go sit down and mess with manual stuff after an hour or two because the automation upgrades don’t work when time doesn’t tick.

It was fun though until then and much better than a lot of other idle/incrementals.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Somfin posted:

Hey all, I'm picking my way through what feels like midgame in Matter Dimensions. I've got all of the Dimensional upgrades that are under 20k shards, picked up the 666 achievement for some boosted production, and I now no longer know what the way forward is- I have a pretty good loop that gives me about 900 shards per run, but the next upgrades are all 100k+ and I can't really push my shard gain over 1200. Is there some core upgrade or mechanic that I'm missing here? Do I just crank shards until I can blast the temperature system into high gear?

You got further than I could manage. I closed it earlier today out of annoyance with having to micromanage content I’d already gone through for the 70th time.

I think I just have issues with games that have auto-buy mechanics, but then make you constantly rebuy them. Not much of an automatic purchase when you have to keep purchasing it (unless it’s automatically purchased too).

Just give me 10-15 minutes of setting up a run actively, then don’t make me sit there and micro it for 3 hours to progress at all. If I wanted to play a game actively, I’ll go play a game that’s active. Otherwise what’s the point of it being incremental when you keep losing the QoL upgrades constantly.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JTDistortion posted:

I have been going through Synergism on my own and I'm a bit curious as to what you're referring to. I don't remember hitting any sort of wall that felt like it needed unintuitive solutions; it was all just messing around with corruption setups to see what I could handle.

It’s a ways into corruption stuff. The beginnings of it were great. You can mess around and try stuff out and just play the game. The part I’m referring to is post alpha platonic upgrades when it slows down and the numbers start to balloon. I just let it run the last week in a cube grind and while I had enough to buy stuff on row 2, I then needed to also grind offerings and obtanium just to buy it.

That’s with a set and forget build. The builds they push in the discord have you messing with things after an hour or three just to get it set up to produce what you need. This is not awesome to me, but it seems this is the part that was brute forced and the dev hasn’t had time to fix because life. So I have no problem with that, but it makes it a bummer to play for me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah Prestige Tree and most of its mods are really more like really active games that take a couple of days to finish. I think the longest time I had to wait for a new upgrade in Incrementreeverse was 15 minutes.
E: Oh and for a lot of them that have buyables, it's pretty much required to hold enter to buy multiples, or you will have to click 300 times per reset.

The end of Prestige Tree was a little grindy, but that's because I don't have time to sit at the computer and do the upgrade loop for two hours. The rest was clever enough.

What's everyone's favorite modded trees? I just opened up Prestreestuck randomly.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Holy moly, you can multibuy space generators by holding left click :woop:. Why doesn't every prestige tree mod have that?

I dunno, some seem really bad at adding hotkeys at all.

I opened up TreeQuest and like the concept, but I haven't had time to actually play it. Takes concentration I don't have this weekend.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

So, anyone who's tried out the NGU Idle final update RC: how big of a troll is the cooking "feature"? (scare quotes 4G's, from his discord summary)

Cooking has always been an important stat in NGU Idle. How dare you suggest that it's a troll feature. (I don't know, haven't seen the update yet.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Where are we hearing about an update to NGU?

In the channel about testing poo poo in the discord. Link is in-game if you care, but it's just test stuff and you'd know if you were invited.

... I wasn't either (and don't need to be).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Haha, aww, Hasten isn't the most busted thing imaginable anymore. :v:

Yeah, which is a good thing? I'm not sure I dig the casting delay/active delay, or if it's just lagging a little for some reason on my computer today.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Devor posted:

It's a game feature - you can unlock casting speed upgrades later (in addition to the cooldown speed)

Gotcha. I only had 15 minutes or so to give it a try again. I really liked it the last time it came up in the thread. It looks like the workshop/alchemy parts have content now too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aurora posted:

looks like i've entered the 'grind for adventure stats/mass buy adventure stats with exp' section of ngu

Welcome to evil?

At least that's where I started putting adv stat purchases into rotation. It does really help. There's a lot of stuff that made early game faster, but that means your raw adv stats are behind where it was for all the people who have played the game for too long... longer than they should be... a long time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DariusLikewise posted:

I didn't really buy Adventure Stats until Exile V3->V4, I think pushing hacks for a few days got me past IDP

Yeah, this was about right for me too. IDP wasn't too bad, but the jumps don't get easier, you just get a couple more tools to grind and make the numbers go. Hacks and really pushing NGUs was big. I think I also did a bunch of the challenges around that point too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aurora posted:

is the better v2/3/4 rewards wish stacking or just 10/20/30 instead of 10/30/60

AFAIK it's just 10/20/30, which is still not bad. Anything that gives more EXP, PP, and QP is worth the time wishing for it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

TheJadedOne posted:

Another NGU idle beginner question I can't really find much info on. I am past titan 2 and farming them and the 2D dimension. I am running 1:40:1 ration on Energy upgrade. almost 1.4million energy, but only 200k Magic since a lot of guides say not to worry about magic just yet. At what point should I be actually focusing on putting a lot of XP into Magic?

That doesn’t matter all that much. If you’re happy with your energy progress you can toss some at magic. But you’ll still want to prioritize energy for a bit until magic gets used by more of the areas of the game. Until then it’s just not going to help you go faster or get EXP faster.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

I'm building for IDP right now and uuuuggghh. Just to check, number doesn't effect Adventure stats, right?

I'm debating saving up the 33k pp to buy improved iron pill. Yeah, I'm gonna do that. I'll need it anyway at some point.

Yeah, you probably should have done that a couple weeks ago.

This stage of the game has plenty of grind. So there is some decisions to make about order of perk/quirk. But anything that boosts fully up to speed portions is better than the sink of cards. Cards catch up, but they’re just a giant resource sink.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aurora posted:

cards? before IDP?

Oh, nope. That was me confusing IDP with the sadistic convo. Same concept applies though for ADV progress though. Stack as much as you can, but balance with e/m/r3 purchases. The grind gets worse in SAD, but it's still slows down in Evil.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I've pretty much officially run out of things to do in NGU, just having a few perks/quirks/wishes that don't actually give me any actual benefits left (bars and A/D when I don't need to rebirth, power/cap when I'm hardcapped, deck size). Nothing left to do but let my NGUs tick up and wait for the next update, I guess!

e: Oh, I guess I could finish up challenges, but :effort:

"Run out of things to do". I'll give you the perks/quirks/wishes that are over hardcap, but challenges? Honestly, if you're just coasting, the challenges shouldn't even take very long and you should do them to actually be nearly done.

I'm still on Rock Lobster and I find that some days I can't be bothered to even rebirth or harvest ygg. It's that in between where you're just grinding the small gains that gets me into meh territory. Even though if I did it every day it wouldn't last as long, but try telling my brain that.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Once I've got the Sadistic Troll Challenge 2 dinner, what's my optimal rebirth time if I want to boost my macguffins quickly?

30 minutes to 24 hours is the sweet spot. There's no change in how much bonus you get here.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Welp. There goes another chunk of my weekend.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

Last dev build you could break and hit max value of things (hardcrashing the game) after 2-3 hours. This build is a bunch slower but if you use "heavy" modifier you can make interactions more like every few minutes to be optimal and buffers that take hours to fill passively.

It's very early and the current dev goal is to make spell interactions feel good and not break. They felt really good last build. I'm liking them so far this build but they are certainly not as crazy as when everything multiplied with everything else so every spell slot was an exponential boost.

Yeah, there was a lag problem for me last build too. This one is much smoother. Some cool and good changes so far, but I'm not sure I like having to time casts for optimal effect or it's lost.

There are some really fun new spells and upgrades though, this is full of good changes so far.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Anfauglir posted:

The one thing I'd want most in an NGU sequel (or any idle game these days really) is a sort of "save this setup" function that just puts all my resources right the gently caress back where they were after a rebirth, so if I'm farming I don't have to spend half an hour setting stuff up. Like with NGU, I put exactly the same thing in NGUs and advanced training and magic and such pretty much every rebirth, let me automate that process somehow.

Yes, but then how are you playing the game?

I wish for this in a lot of places and a lot of ways, but then I realize that set up is about the only interaction I'm making with the game. If there were other interactive portions, then this would be great in a lot of places.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aurora posted:

is metaposting an idle game

metaposting is an incremental.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cinara posted:

Yea, Orb of Creation is far too active for pretty much all of the available content. I like a lot of the ideas it's going towards but there is essentially zero progress when you're not actively playing. It needs to unlock an autocast with a slowly reducing penalty or something, anything to let you step away and not effectively put the game on pause.

I only sort of agree. It doesn’t seem to be pretending to be an idle, just an incremental. And when you sit down to play it, the progress is pretty obvious when you really start stacking things. You can play to ridiculous numbers already in a day, and the play cycle for it is good at rewarding synergy.

I also really liked the Storm addition. You can do some crazy stacking when you pair all the boosts. Now I just look forward to them adding some goals to achieve to make that next layer of purpose too. It’ll be fun to see what sort of gameplay loop they end up adding.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Picked up Synergism again. Glad I didn't try to push through the researches back when they were first added, obtainium is way easier to get these days with the research giving 50% of your per second income rather than 1 obtainium per minute. Now I got to the Anthill and am basically just playing a game of Antimatter Dimensions :v:

Yeah, the part I was complaining about being stupid slow has gotten better a bit too. I'm sure there will be some bumps still, but I can actually make production cycles in a day and it doesn't feel terrible anymore.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Toshimo posted:

I'm. I got ants and I'm working on the last set of ants to open up challenge 10, but I just kinda assume the 1st two reset cycles and all their associated pages don't matter anymore, the upgrades page is done,, so there's nothing for me to do there. Its completely unclear what's going on with offerings because a bunch of the not-runes have incredibly vague descriptions. Idk really what's up with talismans and shards but the whole "pay unobtanium for shards" section seems pointless, but the ratio I get different rarity shards from ants doesn't line up with my talisman needs at all. I've got it auto-reincarnating every 1e10 increases but there's no feedback for that to tell me if its right or wrong. Ants get abstracted away so fast that I just really ignore them and let them mind themselves. The store feels confounding and badly: I don't have a real metric to value my quarks with, so buying any of the non-unlock upgrades feels iffy, especially since all the gated stuff is hidden. Not having particle building auto buys makes that feel like a he'll of a chore. I have no idea when to smash the ants button because its all so opaque, I can't tell if I'm at a point where resetting has value. v0v. Its just not fun or engaging.

A while ago, the auto-resets became unnecessary. Anything after 10s is going to increase linearly and this was really annoying and frustrating when I discovered it. There's no way to measure your increase differences in number form, so the auto- buttons became a false signal. They used to be used, but only situationally now. So turn off those autos (especially ants) and just leave the ants grind up what you need to increase your talismans and push your challenges. Ants are going to be where your production comes from until after C10 starts rolling.

E: You're not wrong about the challenges. The real challenge was trying to figure out corruptions.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cobalt60 posted:

It looks like my old Synergism save won't import - no error, just no change either.

Are there saves online somewhere? Or are there any console cheats that can bump me forward from scratch?

Do you know how far along you were? I have this bad habit of not deleting the old saves, but I'm only on the second row of plantonic upgrades and that's the furthest I could help.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

Welp the new NGU update is out

It's me, I'm one of 7 people who were playing on Kartridge and have to move to steam because it's borked. Just so the other 6 people don't get confused.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

How did Kong gently caress up so much? They were the go to place for idle games.

They killed their own site after breaking off from GameStop. Selling to GameStop was a sell out move anyway and made things laggy garbage unless you use an ad blocker.

Then they killed the chats in most games and now there’s no reason to go waste time on their website.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

e:

I think idle games are a small enough niche that a dedicated community with easy links is actually viable and was a pivot option open to them, Kart fit right in with that too

Kart was great, but they didn’t push things there. They also neglected the social aspect with a lovely chat pane. It did have the bonus of being able to run the games without terrible memory leaks from all the video ads constantly trying to load.

I think the only other big idles on it are ITRTG and Realm Grinder (which has been terrible to play since they ruined the graphics and used a hard to read font). So there’s not really a reason to use it aside from not wanting to run more than one thing via steam at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a way to accelerate QP gain in NGU that I might be missing, it is it just a slog?

I've gotten most of the easily accessible perks, working on the wish, but I've been working yin the adventure bonus for probably three weeks now, and that's with doing major quests actively on the weekends and occasionally weekday evenings.

It’s a slog. The more you get QP gain stuff the better, but it’s still a slog to do manually and actually get stuff for a while. Especially at the beginning it feels like it just takes forever to make any gains.