Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'm halfway to w5x10-max in Synergism, and it's been somewhat of a throwback to being a 7 year old who doesn't really understand video games yet trying to nurse a GameFAQ to get to the end of #<insert_JRPG_here>.

a very peculiar subculture this is, to have collaboratively tried to cram a walkthrough for a not-quite-scrutable game into a chat room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Nietzsche posted:

I just finished c14, loaded up the FAQ for the next section, stared, and did the Seinfeld hands-up-leave-theater-gif thing. Think I'll look for a new one. I kind of like the initial straightforward building up of stats parts of the games, not so much the esoteric endgames.
that seems like a good place to bail

I'm almost done with w5x10-max and as far as I can tell the rest of the game is just the same flavor of setting up very specific hours-long runs to buy the next thing which lets you set up slightly different hours-long runs

but someone who has gotten further than me could confirm/deny

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Nibble posted:

Confirm. At some points even the 12-24hr runs don’t get you any meaningful upgrades, and you have to save for days to get the next big thing.

Jhet posted:

Double that. It gets worse the further into platonic cubes you go, and there's no feedback on corruption setup for an hour at least.
y'all really making me feel like I should close the Synergism tab and move on with my life

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I just started playing NG Space Company despite the middling reviews because Synergism's endgame (midgame?) is a whole lot of nothing.

Boy is that storage mechanic some artificial game lengthening horseshit!

Ignoranus posted:

I've been using this chunk of code, slapped into the console for overnight to upgrade storage automatically.

The version you quoted was missing Oil, here's a more succinct version for the storages:
code:
setInterval(() => {
  Array.prototype.forEach.call(document.querySelectorAll('[id^=tpUpgradeStorage]'), function (button) {
    button.click();
  })
}, 3000)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Jossar posted:

is the game's intended answer to how you get around the storage problem
well i for sure intend not to wait for that

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

The Ninth Layer posted:

I really like Your Chronicle a lot. [...] the ubiquitous for the genre practice of putting far too many quality of life features behind a premium currency shop.
I've been thoroughly absorbed by Your Chronicle to the extent that it has caused problems in my household as I fiddle with things to set up the next stretch of my run instead of performing various real life tasks

I wouldn't recommend anyone get into it though, as it is VERY active and not particularly generous with your time. And the interface is not very good.

For me, the first couple of cash shop purchases were required to make good use of time, and I ended up spending $100 on it to get all the party slots, party templates, shortcut slots, and some other stuff.

The reasoning being, if I'm going to spend a bunch of real-life time with this game, I may as well get as much QoL as possible. But now that I've spent all the real-life money, it feels like I'm more committed to spending the real-life time.

If the automation was more like Groundhog Life or Idle Loops, where you set up a growing chain of activities that take you from birth to reincarnation, I would definitely recommend the game. Instead, even when you throw all your money at it, the best the automation ("Sloth") does is let you farm hard-to-get resources for the next 2 hours or so until you're able to do more active clicking.

I just did my third ED4 and it seems like once you get to that point you can just leave it on to farm Sin, but prior to that point the best use of your time is to keep doing manual reincarnations over and over which don't get much faster or funner.

I would love to send a time portal back to prevent myself from starting this game so I could have spent the time with the several "real" video games I have purchased in the meantime. This may not be the best possible use of a time portal though.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You can send a sports almanac back with the note telling you not to play a specific idle game in the same time portal! Two birds with one wormhole!
I was trying to think more altruistically but I guess if we can get the sports almanac traveling through the time portal fast enough to kill Hitler and then ricochet into a hidden cave maybe we're getting somewhere

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The automation isn't really that important, you can passively accumulate a lot of resources with the right party members.
Unfortunately in Your Chronicle there's also 3 paid party member slots. A 10 member party is strictly better than a 7 member party no matter how effectively you're using your clicking time. The time is more important to me than the money, so I feel bad when I'm not using the money to make better use of the time.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Personally I can't enjoy a game if I spend money on unlocks I could have gotten over time. I only generally pay for no-ads or to give the dev some money like I did with NGU
I'm most happy when a game has a single $5 to $20 option to double progress or whatever and support the dev. I don't personally want to be playing a game for months to unlock a thing that I could've had at the very start, if that thing makes the game more fun to play.

I'm not at all upset from spending money on this game, just resentful at their design for locking so much basic QoL stuff behind time or money gates. Even with those upgrades bought there's still a lot of changes they could make to improve QoL but you know they're gonna be locked up in that Ruby shop.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

The Ninth Layer posted:

so the best way to play is by checking in exactly once every hour which is very annoying.
Also this! This has been dangerous for me with the WFH situation being as it is, because I'll switch over to my gaming computer to do the Dark Ritual, and all of a sudden I'm clicking my way through another Reincarnation instead of doing what I'm supposed to be doing, complaining about clicker games on the internet making websites or whatever.

Many times I have retreated off into the office (it's still accessible and commutable, just nobody goes there) so as to remove the temptation for More Gains.

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 28, 2021

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Lilli posted:

I remember some folks enjoyed the original Cavernous when I posted it last night, so I figured I'd mention that Cavernous 2 came out, same general idea more mechanics.

https://nucaranlaeg.github.io/incremental/CavernousII/

Venuz Patrol posted:

this is fun. feels more like a zachtronics game than an idle game
if someone had told me this was like Idle Loops but with a 2d map I'dve been more likely to click on it earlier

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Anyone played your chronicle?
some discussion a couple pages back

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Lilli posted:

Finally managed to get 37 clusters for the divine factory, 37th cluster was miserable, required 8.5UD replicanti. Highly recommend making an upgrade II potion for replicanti boost II if you plan on doing a run for it, but I cant imagine doing clusters 40 to 42, going to be nightmarish.
I'm most of the way through my second prestige so I don't know what an "Upgrade II potion" is but thinking about this being my future got me to close the game

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

tinstaach posted:

It's kind of like Groundhog Life if you've ever played that.

i will play any game that is like Groundhog Life

I do wish the setting was more original than the "build wooden hut" era. There's hundreds of games where you start by lumberjacking your way to success, Groundhog Life is one of the few where you start in modern day flipping burgers and work your way toward 16 year old CEO of Google.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I don't remember a single thing about this game but apparently my browser does

Same issue with the theme: cut it out with the subsistence farming, people! Let me be a spaceman!

I also think Progress Knight lacks the queueing/automation stuff that Groundhog Life has which limits its lifespan in my head.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

Does it have more upgrades to increase game speed? I stopped Progress Knight after I looked in the code and saw that there's only one evil upgrade that gives game speed
i remember now that stopped originally when I got to the Evil upgrades because they didn't look any good and I don't wanna be a nasty demon man yet again

all these games with their Evil and Malice and Souls, why isn't there ever an incremental where you absorb Angel energy to become very nice

incremental game authors all just wanna be this guy

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

a game in which raising numbers is portrayed as fundamentally good or saintly would essentially be a blatant defense of capitalism, which would probably end up rubbing people the wrong way
yeah, but what if it's like Universal Paperclips but you're a good guy because you need to turn the [universe|town|office|farm] into [paperclips|dirt|mana|eggs] because the universe is fundamentally bad

wait is that what Universal Paperclips is about

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Though really, I think this is another good argument for these games having Actual Endings, because if the numbers don't go up forever you can better justify there being an end goal other than consuming all entities in the universe.

Again to cite Groundhog Life, I remember the ultimate goal of doing all the looping is to stop some kind of pending alien invasion, the creator just never put a "great job, you did it" screen in the game.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

mearn posted:

I skipped the demo and impulse-bought Increlution based on the reviews [...] Automation should make this a good "Leave this running in the background and check on it every half hour or so when I'm working" game without being too distracting.
This game is definitely within my wheelhouse. I like imagining the little villagers spending their early runs casually picking berries and then their later runs naruto running to the next big objective.

I spent a lot of time babysitting it on my early runs though, afraid to let the automation due its work because it's definitely sub-optimal. I can let that go, eventually, but I don't know why developers are so unwilling to just let you schedule a simple queue, e.g.

Harvest 5 Lumber
Build Campfire
Harvest 10 Lumber
Build Hut
Harvest 10 Lumber
Build Hut

is the fear that this takes too much of the game out of the game? Implementing the complicated priority system in Increlution seems more complicated for both the dev and players

I'm still not through "Chapter 1", I guess, interested to see if later chapters implement new mechanics or just swap out the nouns.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Increlution

pixaal posted:

the price will probably go up as the content goes up that promises 90 hours of unpaused gameplay

Cobalt60 posted:

RE: Increlution

Is the whole game essentially linear, in the way it's been through the end of the demo? Like, there's no branching or choice or strategy or anything?
I have no idea how the dev is going to extend what's here to 90 hours without just copy-pasting a bunch of new areas and changing the nouns.

I think it's a fun addition to the genre, but from where I'm at in Chapter 3 it the early part of the game where you don't do anything is getting longer and longer, and the end part where you choose what skill to grind is pretty much the same.

I really don't need it to go to Chapter 20 or whatever with the protagonist waking up in more and more contrived resource-deprived situations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

ErIog posted:

A good example of this is the apples. They replace berries, and so if you rush to them too early it can hurt you because you'll be wasting a ton of time gathering them.
I'm not sure this is even that strategic of a choice. Most of the times when you encounter something hard to do in the game it's actually good because it will quickly increase your ability to do that thing and it will no longer be hard anymore.

The exceptions are when some micromanagement could get you through a temporary roadblock and lead to greater overall game length, but those situations seem rare. So far for me when I break through a wall it just leads to another wall, so it doesn't matter much what wall I choose to wail on first, because you'll eventually need whatever skill you tried to skip anyway.

This could change if there were more choice in the "+25% to [skill]" items over time where different paths left you with different boosts, though then you're still waiting through 10-20 minutes of the same old stuff to test out the differences between decisions.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

tinstaach posted:

(Increlution screenshot)
Dammit, I wanted to make a joke so bad about how I was promised 90 hours of content and only got 89. I would have done it too if I didn't screw myself over in a few ways in chapter 5:
dangit, when you posted this I thought I was on track for a good time but I actually ended up doing worse, even though I didn't do those mistakes you talked about

For all the talk about how nothing in the game is a trap, there are many things in Chapter 5 that are traps if you just want to see the end screen. The whole tavern and all the other silver coins items, for example.

I am slightly curious to see what else gets added to the game but would also probably be fine never playing it again.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Ratzap posted:

There's a new clicker in town (or I haven't been paying atention and it's been out ages?)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/977400/Cell_to_Singularity__Evolution_Never_Ends/

I'm quite enjoying it but I'm a science type anyway and the biology with archeology is cool.

Cell to Singularity has been out for at least 4 years but it looks like this expansion just dropped.

I played through a couple reboots back in the day but didn't find much reason to keep playing, maybe they've added more since then!

edit: i started playing and i would say this version has about a billion percent more dinosaurs

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 8, 2021

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Raine posted:

goes much easier with an autoclicker and cheat engine'ing yourself infinite darwinium (it's a double value by the way, you're welcome)
Thanks for this, I wouldn't normally try to cheat premium currency in a game but considering I'd already gotten all the way in an earlier version of the game so I'm happier to speedrun through to see any new stuff.

I like a little bit of what was added; the text popups that show every time you hit a big new milestone, and the prestige screens have gotten a little bit fancier. But overall the main game seems the same; Adventure Capitalist but with a tree instead of a straight line.

The 3d graphics add almost nothing after the first time you see them other than making the game slower to load.

The monetization with the boosts, double offline progress, and random particles is absolutely awful, the only way it could be more like a mobile game is if you got to watch ads for Rise Of Ages Of Dragon Kings or some poo poo for a 2x boost.

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 8, 2021

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Cobalt60 posted:

Why DON'T folks like Melvor Idle? I started a couple weeks ago, and it seems OK. Is the payoff or endgame weak or something?
I can't speak for anyone but myself but I am so dang sick of levelling up a little virtual person to go fight dragons

I just want any other genre, please, space or cowboy or cyber or anything

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I started up Idleon and got to lv10 on my first two characters but hope that I will not continue. I see a screen like this and I'm just overwhelmed with how many bad decisions I could be making:

Then you go looking for help and find advice like this:

https://idleon.miraheze.org/wiki/Tips_and_Tricks posted:

Usage of external calculators and spreadsheets is the single most useful thing you can do. There are several community-run external resources that can help you manage Tasks, Constellations, and even all of your builds! Help yourself plan out your points for best outcome!
I don't have enough of a come-what-may attitude to randomly click on things, and I don't want to nurse a wiki or discord to just do what everyone else is doing. So perhaps instead I will play one of the thousands of other games in the world.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The MMO dressing makes everything worse and it would be a genuinely fun game if there was a little more abstraction.
what Idleon makes me think of is the somewhat better (IMHO) idle game Worlds of Talesworth, which used the trappings of an MMO without being as tedious as a real MMO.

It also had a neat gimmick where you're actually playing the guy playing the MMO, so you have to manage their hunger/sleep/job and whatnot, and eventually unlock some exploits for the MMO.

I'm not sure if I ever beat it or if there's an end, also it's only hosted on Armorgames and Kongregate right now which are plain lousy with ads

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Loop Odyssey just released, looks like basically Idle Loops with pictures which is everything I want.

I'm surprised it didn't release into Early Access, but it was in private beta for a while so hopefully any issues have been ironed out.

The fact that there's only 3 steam achievements makes me wonder if it's kinda light, though the Reddit post claims it has "80+ hours of semi-idle gameplay"

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I'm also liking Loop Odyssey so far. As a puzzle game, it actually reminds me a little bit of Desktop Dungeons as far as the needing to use every little resource at your disposal to get to the next part. Though unlike a true puzzle game there are big chunks of time when you just need to let it run by itself.

That's something I have trouble with in these games though; I keep watching the little guy go around even though the best move is to usually set something up and wait a long long time.

There's lots of fiddly nitpicks I could probably make. Being unable to edit the timeline other than by drag-and-drop is egregious; it would be nice to change the verb at altars for the very least. But so far the game plays about like I expected, and I'm excited to see how it unfolds.

Arbetor posted:

So far, I have unlocked four kinds of permanent upgrades
you can also interact with the scarecrow

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Lilli posted:

Definitely agree that editing the command list is probably the roughest part of the game so far though.
it seems like a bizarre oversight that you can't just add/change actions in the middle because

* it already has a 'selected' indicator for actions (that is used for drag and drop)
* it already reacts successfully to things being dropped to an arbitrary point in the timeline

all the dev needs to do is make it so clicking / typing an action while something is selected adds it after the current selection and advances the selection

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

it might be a recent change idk
It was added yesterday but taken out of the current build :cry:

At least that means it's bound to make it back in sometime.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

also re: Loop Odyssey - hand-to-hand combat is a global combat buff and therefore amazing
it's weird how it's so much better than Body Control but so much easier to grind

grinding HTH overnight definitely opened the game right up

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Lilli posted:

Don't make the players do 30 15 minute runs just to find the correct path through the maze without hitting a wall.
it would also be a big QoL improvement if it optionally paused at the end of a loop to let you manually explore, but the author seems to think this would be hard to do given something about the game's engine

I've only done the first of the endings but I was surprised that the time crystals stay broken loop-to-loop... I made a big path that collected all the blood and tried to knock out all the crystals and I was thinking it would need to run for a long long time

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I do know how to code but I didn't get anywhere with Bitburner because I was afraid I couldn't resist the temptation to just copy paste other people's scripts together so it was :airquote: optimal :airquote:

which sounds like a personal problem, I know

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

I genuinely don't understand the point of Autotrimps other than "my computer's fans don't run enough".
like bitcoin mining but for little website demons

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I got pretty into Bitburner and there's a lot I like about it but the grind to get three levels of the Singularity BitNode is nasty.

You need it if you want to automate some of the most annoying stuff (grinding faction rep, buying augmentations in an efficient order) but the BitNode itself doesn't provide any interesting new gameplay, and the first level or two are useless so you gotta do it three times. Just a long slog of playing the same slow game so that you might optimize some of the slow parts in the future.

I probably should just stop playing but I wrote all this dumb JavaScript and now feel like I should keep slogging through to make some use out of it.

edit: I now realize that you can use the full singularity API while *in* the Singularity BitNode, so I could've been spending this time writing new faction/crime/augs/whatever scripts. Still annoying that I'll have to go in and beat it two more times though.

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 9, 2022

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Hughlander posted:

They also patched it last week that you get the full singularity API in one source file. But there’s a huge memory penalty. So maybe don’t need to do all of them. I just started it yesterday for the first time after doing 1.3 2.3 and 5.1?(ai to unlock intelligence). So far doing a homocide script to unlock gangs then a gang ascension script seems like the winner. But my gang script sucks atm.
That's great to hear. I've done just 1.2, 5.1 and 4.1 so far but just started 4.2. Looks like the penalty is 16x for SF4.1 and 4x for SF4.2 so maybe I can just be done after two rounds.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

uPen posted:

Never dropped a game faster than Bitburner than when I finished the tutorial and it went "We know this looked like a cute Exapunks style 'coding' game but actually you can just use javascript."
I love Zachtronics and have the special edition of Exapunks with all the printed zines and whatnot

but in the last month I've spent way more time on Bitburner than I ever did with Exapunks because as an incremental even if I do a pretty bad job with the scripting the numbers are still gonna go up at least a little bit

If I play a Zachtronics game and thrash on a puzzle for an hour without solving it, I may as well have just played another game because I'm probably no closer than when I started. Very on/off win condition.

which is to say, I should probably finish Exapunks someday instead, but so it goes

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

KazigluBey posted:

how are you ever meant to deal with Island 2's insane combat requirements? I guess just grind them out, but the game has never felt THIS mean before. Does doing the Bull encounter with Hunt bypass the Lion fight after?
You could try starting back with Island 1 for a while and see whether you can do any hourglass stuff or whether chaining Island 1 into Island 2 gets you any worthwhile gains.

At least, I guess. I tried it once. I think I'm at the same part as you. There's options available, but it's hard to know what options are actually good.

Mostly I'm annoyed by all the sequences that are just clicking one action, waiting 20 seconds, clicking another action, waiting 20 seconds etc. Then looking forward to doing that 9 more times before automation is unlocked.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

susan b buffering posted:

Something that can help with the walls in the new increlution content is to save your raw food ingredients for later in the run. You can do this by turning off autocooking for that item right as you're about to lose access to it and waiting until the wall you're trying to push through to turn it back on.
I only just learned this today from the Steam discussion forums after wailing on 'Hunt Bull' for tens of runs

oh well, now I know! Take that, bull!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Orb of Creation is out on steam and it totally rules. Tons of things to make go up, and lots of nice synergy effects.
dang I installed this and it immediately sucked up 3 hours or so

always something to do, suffers a little from the "too many tabs" problem though. most of the time I'm paging through the different things looking for the cheapest upgrade to pursue

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Agent355 posted:

I lost a few hours to it but I'm wary about these kinds of games because ultimately I'm just staring at a menu for 3 hours while it tricks my brain into thinking I'm doing something important.
I feel good while I'm playing it but then bad afterwards which makes me think this game is a specialized type of of drug or pornography

I kinda wish I could've waited till it was out of Early Access to try it. I might feel better about boiling away earth time watching numbers go up if I knew there was an ending to reach, but it sounds like people mostly run out of things to do around research level 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I'm 15+ hours in and it feels like I'm near the end of the content but there might be 10 more hours of diminishing returns as far as I know

Clicking through all the different tabs looking for upgrades and mousing over everything over and over triggers my RSI but maybe I'm just old.

There's some things that are only available in tooltips that I wish were more obvious from the main UI, like what resources (i.e. mechanical vs herbalism or whatever) a given alchemy thingy is consuming (so I know what to turn off if I need to add a new thingy).

The game I would most compare it to is the Alkahistorian series where you're constantly fiddling with one thing to try to increase the resource cap for another thing to let you boost a third thing and so on