Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I only let it idle minor quests and when I have some time to pay more attention to the game (at work lol) I'll turn the idler off and start running through the major quests until I'm back to 0 where I'll turn major quests off and idling back on again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Not gonna lie I used the AHK script to do the challenges in NGU and it made the process slightly less painful. You still have to manually do the troll challenges so I find this an acceptable shortcut :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ineptitude posted:

Finally all fruits at tier 24.

The McGuffin fruits kinda makes the McGuffin spells look pointless. 6 levels quickly or 8 after a full evening of single target McGuffin levels from the spell vs nearly 300 from the fruit.
8 levels quickly or 10 after a full evening of all levels vs 30-something from the fruit.

I was thinking the same thing except w/r/t the MacGuffin daycare perk. I only have FoMa up to level 18 right now but even still, a random upgrade to one of my guffs by 100 levels seems way more useful than a couple levels per day for 4 macguffins of my choosing. I can imagine this is even moreso the case when you have FoMb maxed out too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Samuringa posted:

Antimatter Dimensions is being active during a certain period until you figure how to idle it more efficiently. So at first with the antimatters proper and getting some IPs to set up the autobuyers, then Breaking Infinity and expanding with Infinity Dimensions to balance your IP/min statistics, reaching Replicantis and expanding the IDs and then infinity infinities to Eternity, unlocking Time Dimensions and retroactively affecting everything else.

So it is one number that affects another that affects another and so on.

It was a rather slow start but I'm having a decent enough time right now holding the MAX button and watching numbers go up. I just broke through last night to the point where runs went from 1 hour, to 30 minutes, to ~3 seconds as of this morning so I can feel things picking up. I am kinda curious to see where it goes from here because I imagine there's some menus that aren't visible to me right now at this stage in the game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Samuringa posted:

It helps a bit to follow this guide, at least because of some sections where the game would punch you in the nuts if you were unprepared. It's not exactly a "follow exactly these steps and get this exact outcome" like Realm Grinder, more like a "If you are around this point, doing this is going to help"

https://antimatter-dimensions.fandom.com/wiki/Guide

There isn't much to miss or mess up until around you Break Infinity, but some of the challenges prior can be a headache and the ones after can be somewhat mindboggling.

I appreciate it, it looks like this is taken from a Reddit post I was reading for a general idea of what I should be doing and it's been extremely helpful. I haven't done the last two challenges yet because they're more complicated than "this run will just take longer" but will probably start on working on those later tonight. My eyes kind of glaze over when I look into the details of how the numbers work but this is good to know just about where I should be at in this stage of the game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've gotten to the point in Antimatter Dimensions where I broke infinity and got all of my challenges down to below 1.5 seconds, I have all the auto buyers upgraded, and as far as I can tell the only way now to increase my IP/sec is tweaking the rebirth cycles? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong or don't fully understand some of the mechanics but right now I'm not playing the game at all for 1-2 day stretches while I build up enough IP to get one upgrade and then wait another couple of days to build it up again. I was really into the game at the start, trying to get all the auto buyers and finding out how fast I could do an IP run but now that it's just optimizing the autobuyer settings I'm pretty much done with it. Things really built to a crescendo after breaking infinity and then dropped off a cliff entirely.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Samuringa posted:

There are some lull moments in the game, yea.

Did you mean the Normal Challenges? Infinity Dimensions and Infinity Challenges blow up your IP/min pretty hard but I have no idea what upgrades you're buying.

Normal challenges, I haven't unlocked the infinity challenges yet so maybe that's what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Yeah, I think I see what I'm doing now. I've been doing quick rebirths to build up IP without realizing I need to save antimatter to unlock more stuff. :doh:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 16, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the help, I do have some infinity upgrades already purchased, I was able to save up 2e7 IP with enough time so I have the first 3 of the two columns purchased already. I think I have to separate myself from thinking that faster runs = better gains. I guess I'm not even really positive what it is I'm doing that makes the IP go up and why longer runs would make that happen.

"Short runs: Automatic Dimboosts set to 0/10, Automatic Galaxies set to 1, Automatic Big Crunch set to how much you make in 0.5-1.5 seconds. "

I see stuff like this on the guide you posted which kind of helps but I don't quite understand the "Dimboosts 0/10" part. Is that "Max 8ths - 0 / galaxies required 10"? I feel like I am setting them up according to those recommendations and nothing happens.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Great, thanks to the both of you! I think I'll start futzing with length of runs and see where that gets me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jester Mcgee posted:

Oh no, I just realized there’s a whole new set of challenges in Evil mode. Every time I think I’m out they pull me back in.

The good news is that unlike normal mode a lot of the evil challenges are just for XP/AP. There's some that give benefits you'll definitely want (No TM, No RB, Basic, NGU and Troll) but the rest are optional. And I was able to knock out just about all of those and the first few Troll challenges in an evening after getting the Nerd set completed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Torokasi posted:

Also - and trying to avoid most spoilers as I can - is there any benefit to keeping old equipment sets besides rings/amulets?

There's some exceptions you'll find outside of the good accessories that will be worth hanging onto but generally no, once you've moved on you don't need to hang onto the old gear from the last zone as long as you've already gotten the maxxed bonus for the set.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mr. Peepers posted:

OK, before I get too deep into NGU, I need to know: is this a game I can progress reasonably fast in without using too many external resources/guides?

Like Trimps, where aside from punching my poo poo into a perk calculator once a portal I can make satisfactory progress on my own. Not like Realm Grinder, where if I don't look up exactly what 30 bonuses to take out of the 500 offered while also taking into account a whole bunch of other poo poo like gem count and time of day, I can expect virtually no progress.

There were some gimmicks that I had to look up to figure out how to progress that I probably could have figured out on my own if I thought hard enough about it/read the clues but I'm a lazy, lazy man. Other than that though no it's all pretty well explained and the complexity layers on once you've gotten a good understanding of all the systems at play.

I just started a game of Evolve, I'm digging this so far but think this would be better on the phone :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sage Grimm posted:

Supercollider your way to bigger storage. :shepicide:

He is trying alternatives though with the addition of the Storage sub-tab in Resources. At least you no longer have to open each resource individually to set them.

I actually just hit this point and thought the implementation was pretty cludgy until I stumbled on the Storage tab. It doesn't seem too bad, I doubt I'll ever use the other way.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The storage tab makes dealing with crates easier.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Evolve just got an update, the queue gives time estimates.

Oh neat, is there any way to know there is an update without waiting for someone to mention it? I had no idea because I just keep the game running on my PC that there even was an update.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Chakan posted:

Or the normal way of turning off your computer at night, but that’s not always an option ofc.

I've got idle games to not play, I can't afford to turn my computer off!

Appreciate it, I'll hop on their Discord for updates.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Fool posted:

I know most of you NGU players are well past this point, but I wanted to point out how insane the energy bonuses on the 2d set are compared to everything you get before.

For sure, there's a couple of those sets you get along the way that are just so much better than what you have before, sometimes even at level 1. It's always a good feeling getting to that next tier up and having everything open up a bit again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sage Grimm posted:

So for those in Evolve playing in the Hell Dimension

I'm, uh, currently plugging away at this game and don't recognize a goddamn thing in this entire post so I'm extremely curious to see how the game I'm playing now turns into this!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So I just rebirthed in Evolve for the first time, other than the Plasmids I've earned are there any other stat boosts earned from doing this? I feel like the early game is going faster this time around but can't tell if that's just because I know what I'm doing from the get go this time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh okay, I *just* got to the point where I can build a Temple so I guess that's where it diverts from the first run I did.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Finally decided to bite the bullet and play Evolve. I just unlocked Electricity and it's taking me forever to grind enough Aluminum for Sheet Metal to raise my Knowledge cap high enough to start poking around. What can I do other than, you know, sell everything in the marketplace for cash for aluminum? Am I missing something that creates lots of resources I can sell? Should I be pumping steel production or something?

I'm on my second rebirth right now and it took me this long to really start playing with the marketplace stuff, using any spare gold to spend in trade routes to increase my titanium/s helped gradually build up more over time. It's still not terribly fast for me but trading and morale seem to make it go a bit faster.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Magres posted:

NGU Question: I have 30k PP and all the normal perks but the Rich Jerk Perks, as well as the first set of Energy and Magic power/cap/bars Evil perks, the NGU perks, R3 power and cap, and QP perk. I'm trying to figure out what to grab next, and eyeballing the 30k PP "Not So Minor Anymore" perk. Anyone got any advice?

Here's my P1 of my perks, on P2 I only have the extra automerge slot.

I'm at almost the exact same point you're at and I've decided to work on the Adv boost perk. It's slow going but definitely worth the effort.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm digging Evolve a lot actually but kind of bummed every time I start over because of how active the early game is. It takes a while to get to the point that you can let it run and still make some sort of progression so you're usually clicking a whole bunch to make resources before getting there. I assume this will eventually be a faster start?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That does sound helpful, but I'm finding I don't get as much much use out of the building queue as I do the research queue. I'm often building whatever I am able to afford at that time so if I plan out my build queue too much in advance I'm usually missing out on stuff I could've been building instead.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

These screenshots of Alkahistorian are the final form of the "discussion that only means something to the people playing this game" thing that keeps happening in this thread lol. poo poo looks incomprehensible :stare:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

In Evolve, is there a tipping point where the early game starts to pick up a bit? I've done 5 resets so far and have ~450 plasmids saved up but every time starting over is kind of a slog. I made an attempt at getting into I guess the Space phase last reset but stalled out when I couldn't get enough Knowledge for the last bit of research available to me. Maybe the game isn't for me, which is a bummer because I am finding myself enjoying the systems a lot but never really get to a point that I can let it idle too much. I end up having to interact with it a lot, especially early on in order to build & research so progress doesn't stall because I've hit my resource cap. I understand why the upgrade to start with the ability to queue things would alleviate this somewhat, but even with queues I'm still checking in a lot to build stuff out of order if I have resources available for something that may not be in queue.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eldercain posted:

No, it's always gonna require some amount of babysitting unless the queue gets built out into more automation.

I didn't have any issues with space until I first took fanaticism this run, the answer is to build ARPA poo poo like crazy. My stock exchange is level 11 right now and it's the lowest by about half. Granted I'm pretty far into the third tier and I think I have the prestige mechanic unlock in sight now.

Eh I think I'm hanging it up then. Like I said I really like the concept of the game and would like to see more of it but I don't necessarily want to have to babysit it to progress. I was hoping it would eventually become like early game NGU where you blow by it in a few seconds to get to the new poo poo but that repeated process of starting out from scratch is killing me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Toshimo posted:

Evolve

I picked this up a couple of days ago. Does it ever get less needy? It feels like there's a whole lot of knobs to twist that really make each step work, which is a big realtime sink.

Not really from what I've been told, and this is why I ended up dropping it. It seems like there's things that make it easier to manage later on like the ability to set up queues from the start of a run but you are always going to be twisting those knobs to make poo poo happen.

Edit: For the record, I think I'd be more okay with this if it just had a way to let me skip or expedite the poo poo out of the early game once I get to the next stage. This feels to me like if every rebirth in NGU I had to work my way through the adventure zones from the beginning in order to get to the zone I'm actually at. Which I guess you kind of do but it takes a second to get there.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 5, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AlmightyPants posted:

In NGU Idle, I can handle the Greasy Nerd up to normal without issue, but I'm sort of stymied as to how I get on to the next level of adventure stats. Help?

I'm on Hard Greasy Nerd right now working towards Brutal, the jump from Normal > Hard was not too bad but he's still kicking my rear end on Brutal even after a 24h fruit harvest. I think generally you want to make sure all your gear is maxed (Nerd set or better), you're running NGU's (both Normal and Evil), consistently pumping Adv. Training through your runs, getting your gold/s built up so you can afford more Digger levels, and if you haven't been working on the Adv. Boost for Rich Perks yet this is about the time I started working on it (at 750/1000 as of the time of this post). You've also got Hacks starting to become a bigger focus now so I've been using EXP to pump my R3 Pow/Cap so I can dump more points into the Adv Stats Hack.

There's pretty much something in every category to be working on that will gradually build you to the next level but it will definitely take time. I was able to just barely grind out some gear in the Interdimensional Party at the tail end of a 24h run so I spent some time building that gear up which I think is my next big step to get closer to beating v4.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Glad to see I haven't gotten rid of any accessories that will still be used in the late game! Also you just reminded me I can finally buy the pink heart and shove it in the daycare not to be seen again for like a month.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there an easier way to manage/compare gear in Arcanum? I wish there was a tooltip showing how the item compares to what you have equipped currently but I don't think there is?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pixaal posted:

It's a way to compress inventory space if you have too many quest items because you went AFK for 2 hours. So instead of trashing them you merge them and save them for later and have space to actually do the next quest.

Holy poo poo I somehow missed this, and it's a pretty small price at 1500PP too.

Also I just saw the new "Welcome to Evil Mode" perk for a paltry 200PP that adds 200% A/D and an extra 50% drop rate. That's real good!!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eldercain posted:

Just never do active quests and you don't have to learn the math

I sincerely wish I could do that and obtain most Quirks in a relatively small amount of time. I ran active quests for about a month to get the 12th accessory slot a few days ago and have gotten ~300QP idling since then :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dragonatrix posted:

In NGU, is there something you have to do to get Macguffin Fragments above level 100? The game and wiki tell me there's no cap but they're still stopping at 100 for me and not going higher. My Energy Power Fragment has been sat there for ages now and I just noticed it's stopped because the Blood Alpha spell gave it a bunch of levels and it... did nothing.

This is probably a dumb question but you've "equipped" the fragments into a MacGuffin slot right? They can merge indefinitely but only when in one of the dedicated MacGuffin slots. If you're still holding the stack in your inventory those get capped at 100.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 4, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pixaal posted:

I merge all the time in inventory past 100, or does it let you do that if it's already over 100?

Oh you know what I never actually tried to merge over 100 in the inventory, I just assumed it worked like a normal inventory item until you equipped it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The inventory stuff was definitely one of the early bottlenecks of the game for me as well. You're doing a lot more active management of gear since you only have a handful of slots to work with which does suck because you need to babysit it closely to make sure your stuff is merging ASAP to open up new accessory slots. There's not a lot of advice I can give but once you're able to start picking up inventory slots through perks it's kinda just like this. There's also new merge slots for your inventory spaces but it's 250 PP or AP and I think at that point you probably haven't even unlocked PP yet. I think this is definitely around when I purchased the first newbie pack.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the game definitely does have you doing more hands on stuff towards the beginning but as more mechanics unlock you are doing less active runs. Like Enigma said at the mid to late stage of the game it's letting things run for a full day and poking it a few times to switch loadouts or spend some EXP along the way. You do have to get through that early stage to get there though so I can see how that would be frustrating, especially coming back for a second time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

jorty posted:

Been playing NGU the last couple days, really nice lil background game. Are there any must-haves to invest EXP in? I've hit 100k energy so i've just been saving up to raise the limit.

You'll want to make sure to get your E/M up to the speed cap of 50, that way you're gaining the most possible resources per second. Don't spend the XP on Adventure Stats or the Attack/Defense boosts. Inventory spaces & Loot Filter are def good non-E/M purchases too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A good early ITOPOD goal is get the first row completed. You can skip the 1000 PP perks for now but yeah start with the E/M buffs and work your way across the first row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm feeling kinda bored with it personally. At around the time when you finally can kill Uug but before you have him on autokill it feels like there's nothing to do but very very slowly build up beards and adventure NGUs for days. Maybe it's just my own personal taste, and it feels weird to say this, but I like the more 'active' idle games where you're basically always doing something that FEELS like progress. Right now I'm mostly watching two very slow multipliers climb up to a point where I might be able to make a leap again. Kinda dull. But that's just my opinion and personal taste in idlers I suppose.

It sounds like we may just have different tastes in idle games and that's cool but I will say there are definitely spots like that in NGU that I've gone through too that I was thinking about giving it up because nothing was happening, but after a while I break through by getting a piece of new gear or unlock a new mechanic and then everything kind of snowballs for a while. It's like this door opens up that has always been there but locked since I've been playing and it makes things new and fresh again. I think NGU starts out more active and as you progress further becomes much more passive as you start doing 24hr runs and have to micromanage less systems, so I can definitely see where someone looking for a more active experience may lose steam around this point.