Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

My husband and I are breaking up (mutually, with no issues that would make this more confusing than it already is) and I'm trying to decide what to do with our house. He is planning on moving out by the end of October and I already have an apartment somewhere nearby.

The house could sell for probably $260k, and the amount left on our mortgage is $190k. I'm trying to decide whether to refinance and rent the house out through a company or just straight sell it. I have no experience in any of this, but here are my thoughts:

It'd rent for around $1600. I have enough in my bank to cover a few months of mortgage at $1200/month if it didn't rent right away. I know the mortgage amount would change with a refinance, but I feel like I'm not using the online calculator correctly...
The rental company I'm looking at takes 8%, so $128/month roughly, leaving me with a profit of around $270, assuming it isn't vacant. Other houses in the neighborhood have rented/sold very quickly, so I don't anticipate a problem either way.
I also expect the house prices in the area to continue to rise based on location. We bought in in 2016 for $218k and nothing in the city sells for that anymore, with new townhouses starting at $250. Our freestanding house with a big backyard is pretty desirable either way.
I know refinancing fees are a thing, but I have no idea how much. I've asked Wells Fargo and they haven't responded yet, but I'm assuming a few thousand dollars?

If we sold it, I'd guess we'd each get $20kish each, which could pay off my student and car loans. That'd be nice, but they aren't currently breaking the bank (Currently playing combined $300+ on them/month) and I feel like keeping the house is a better investment. I guess otherwise investing whatever I'd get could also work out, but I have no experience with investing besides in retirement.
Ex is okay with either plan and doesn't have a specific amount he'd want if I refinanced and bought him out besides, "whatever is fair."
I can't see myself moving back into it - I never intended for it to be the last house I ever owned and am actually kind of looking forward to looking for a new house in a couple years now that I know what I want.

The company I'm looking at is https://www.spmtrianglerentals.com/wake-county-property-management

Are there any big things I'm missing or haven't considered? There are so many estimated numbers and unknowns (how long will it take to rent/sell?) that it makes it tough to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

If you were attempting to refinance the property you would likely need the divorce to be finalized, and qualify with the full Principle + Interest + Taxes + Insurance + Association dues on your own.

You may be able to offset some of the added expense by having a tenant lined up, but they will also be calculating your current rent payment in your qualifying figures.

Also probably worth mentioning any potential spousal support of child support would not be able to be included in your qualifying figures, since you very likely wont have 6 months history of receiving the income.

gtkor fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 7, 2019

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Divorce won't be finalized until early next year (thanks, archaic NC laws!). Everything would be roughly 40% of my after-tax income assuming mortgage doesn't change much, so qualifying might be a little hard but I have a really good credit score. No HOA fees, spousal support, etc.

The mortgage company does factor in rental income when assessing if I'd qualify for a refinance? That doesn't seem very safe on their part.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Koala Food posted:

Divorce won't be finalized until early next year (thanks, archaic NC laws!). Everything would be roughly 40% of my after-tax income assuming mortgage doesn't change much, so qualifying might be a little hard but I have a really good credit score. No HOA fees, spousal support, etc.

The mortgage company does factor in rental income when assessing if I'd qualify for a refinance? That doesn't seem very safe on their part.

It would require a lease agreement, which depending on how quickly your management company could put one together would be possible prior to close. You would likely need to have the first payment made to you either on or prior to the first payment due date of your mortgage.

If you wanted to go that route, it would likely make sense to be in communication with the management company sooner rather than later, to allow for a realistic timeline of when you could get a tenant in there.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Sell it. Your lives will take you in different directions, and you don't want to be trying to manage a rental when you've both left town in 5 years time. And you won't want to deal with discussions like "The house needs a new boiler" when you aren't together anymore and both have things going on in your life.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you are thinking about continuing to entangle your life with your ex husband in return for $1,620 per year minus whatever maintenance and repair expenses you have on the house assuming that you never have a vacancy

are you loving out of your mind

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Would you approach your ex-husband to purchase a house to rent, splitting the income? Doesn't that sound insane to you?

The only thing making this make sense in your head is the emotional inertia you have that's tied to this particular house.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Apparently I either left something out or worded it wrong. I'd be buying my exs share out and be the sole owner. No splitting income or anything

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
hey congrats your idea isn't stupid for THAT reason any more but: you are going to be a landlord in addition to your day job for $3,240 per year less maintenance and expenses. maintenance and expense estimates are usually estimated at 1% of value (rule of thumb, probably less accurate at the low end of the market like your home) - so figure you are netting $800/year over a long time horizon at best. Your $20K lump sum will earn better than that. If you have a definite time horizon in which you plan to return to this home maybe that tips the scale.

Put it this way: would you pony up $20k cash for an investment that netted you roughly $800/year?

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hey congrats your idea isn't stupid for THAT reason any more but: you are going to be a landlord in addition to your day job for $3,240 per year less maintenance and expenses. maintenance and expense estimates are usually estimated at 1% of value (rule of thumb, probably less accurate at the low end of the market like your home) - so figure you are netting $800/year over a long time horizon at best. Your $20K lump sum will earn better than that. If you have a definite time horizon in which you plan to return to this home maybe that tips the scale.

Put it this way: would you pony up $20k cash for an investment that netted you roughly $800/year?

This is assuming the value of the property is decreasing by the mortgage principle?

Not saying this is a great idea, but this excerpt is misleading.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is also ignoring that the math was done against mortgage payments, not against mortgage interest - equity is also accumulating, even if the property value stays unchanged, unless you have an interest-only mortgage like a chump. Doing the math again with mortgage interest as the subtraction would look slightly better.

But it's still probably a bad idea, because landlording sucks. My experience was that using an agent is even worse than looking after it yourself.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Landlording can be lucrative, but its best to look at it as a second job and have an aim of building up a stable of properties and managing them yourself in the area you live in.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
If you could theoretically get $270/mo from renting it out, versus saving $300/mo from paying off loans, then the better course of action is to save.

Not to mention I wouldn't recommend landlording unless you've got time for a second job.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
1. Buy out ex. If you want to landlord and keep the house, you need to buy out your ex. You don't want to co-own property with an ex, even if you're good friends.
2. Commercial mortgage: you'll most likely pay more in interest (maybe 50-100bps) and need 25% down.
3. Make sure you can afford any repairs without effort, and long term vacancies.
4. Make sure you have a big pile of cash just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Sorry to hear about your divorce. Even when it's mutual and amicable I know it is still stressful and complex (I haven't gone through it personally, thankfully, but I've seen it up close with some people close to me). Anyway, for this here's the factors I'd consider, roughly in order of importance:

• Market for renters in your area (sounds like you already have a pulse on this and it seems reliable)
  • How the property is doing repair-wise. Obviously hard to predict but I assume it hasn't had an assessment since you bought it 3 years ago. What is the time to live for major appliances/HVAC/foundation/windows/roof/walls/plumbing/trees/etc? An inspection is usually $400-500 in my area but you might be able to narrow the scope of what you have them look at to bring the price down. That, or pull up the docs from when you bought it and review what they found. Get an idea of what big costs are looming in the next few years to factor in.
  • Real estate market in your area. I know you mentioned it's on the rise but it might be worth investigating more deeply and/or asking around to see how confident the prediction is that prices should steadily rise around where the house is. If it's got a good trajectory then there's a chance for the dream where you offset the mortgage with rent, then years from now sell for a higher price and more equity. If, however, the market is lukewarm or showing signs of declining, it might be better to get out now and put the cash towards other debt or more reliable investments.
  • How long would you see yourself doing this before wanting/needing to sell that property? Do you plan on moving away geographically? How stable are your other finances/income? Given all the changes in your life right now these are unfair questions to ask, but what I mean is this tends to pay out better over more years (of stable renters / appreciating real estate market / etc) and until then can easily end up as a cost, and depending on circumstances it could take some time for it to have a favorable yield.
  • How quickly is the loan being paid down? I threw your numbers into an amort table (guessing at down payment and interest) and it sounds like right now your payments are in the ballpark of paying $2 to interest for every $1 to principle. The further along in the loan the more this seems like a better idea. Or to put it another way I personally find it less palatable to carry a mortgage and the risks/costs of homeowning just for the rent money to mostly pay someone else. As a thought experiment, consider the outlay of buying a house today with a brand spanking new mortgage, renting it for 3-4 years with typical bumps along the way (gaps in renters, repairs, etc) and then selling. Assuming the sale price only appreciates modestly in those years you probably would not come out ahead very much compared to what you could have made your down payment do in an index fund, knocking out other debts, etc for that same length of time. For a mortgage 3 years in you are not too far ahead of that scenario, but I am really napkin math'ing your loan and of course there are lot of other factors ie. the ones listed above.

If it were me, I would spreadsheet this out a bit. Start with the student/car loans you could pay off with selling the house today, and add up month to month how much interest accrues in those if you pay them down at the rate you have been. See how much it adds up to, month by month, for the next 5 years. That's the "dividends" you get for the option of selling and putting the cash towards your debts (negative interest or whatever), and what's nice is these numbers are pretty firm. Next, in a column alongside those months, put the sale price of your home and have it appreciate by some factor (start with using whatever rate you've been experiencing for the home). Next a column of how much rent you expect to get per month, and next a column of how much is left over after mortgage, and next how much principle is left at the end of that month. With this you get a very coarse formula for seeing how much you get out of renting, and can compare it to the "dividends" you would have had if you had instead sold and wiped out debt. You can also include a column for "what if I sold in this month?" that looks at sale price minus loan principle (don't forget commissions/taxes/etc!) to see what you can exit with after you're done renting it.

It will probably look really favorable, because the numbers for selling and wiping out debt are pretty solid but the numbers for renting have a lot of what-if's that we haven't added in yet. Market swings, tenant reliability, and house maintenance should be worked in to the sheet to pepper it with some doses of reality. Then you can work out things like "how does it look if over time the price rises 5%/year, I get 85% of expected renter money, and maintenance costs average to $200/mo?". You can then play it out with those different factors to see what it would take for a good return, a lukewarm scenario, a disaster, etc.

To paraphrase the saying in business that goes something like "sales can make up for a lot of sins", to me renter income is your biggest driver (or killer) of this idea. If you can reliably get 133% of the mortgage every month--over years--then a lot else has to start going wrong for it to not be worth it. Not to mention you can use the excess to overpay the mortgage, or pool for repairs, etc to compound the gains for when you finally sell. If however the rent is less reliable (rent price lowers, time with no renters, renters who fall behind, etc) then everything else might need to go really smoothly for this not to end up a costly investment.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 20, 2019