Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The Cold War isn't over and Ukraine has had a rough few years, so here is a short time line.

1986 - Chernobyl
1991 - independence from moscow
some things happened

2004 Viktor Yushchenko

starts a protest over riggged elections that went to a pro russian candidate,

Viktor Yanukovych

This election is made invalid by the supreme court

2005 new election

Viktor Yushchenko wins

2008 market crashes, hurts their steel exports

Viktor Yanukovych wins the election.

2010 Parliament votes to abandon nato membership aspirations

2011 Yulia Tymoshenko

goes to jail for abuse of power in 2009 when they were the prime minster aligned with Yushchenko

2013 Protests start happening due to the government giving up on joining the EU

2014 riots are still happening, protestors die, President Yanukovych flees to russia.

This is when russia annexes crimea and the west starts paying attention. Russia gets sanctions. Russia gives arms to people in the far south east part of ukraine, and the rebellion starts.

Petro Poroshenko

comes into power here, becomes president, on a pro western platform. Then russian rebels shoot down a plane and brown moses gets a new job.

The country doesn't have much happening except for constant rebellion until 2017 with Ukraine joining the EU.

2018 Martial law by president proshenko, bans entry of russian adult males

2019 Volodymyr Zelensky becomes president in a land slide.

You remember the cold war? Well its still going on and Ukraine has been a front for it for the last few years. Each have some goals to achieve here but if you want to have one possible view of why russia wants it, here is a nice long primer video for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL_09mazZs8

Basically, warm water ports and a possibility of an invasion of russia via land. Although a small possibility, its been done before.

So Zelensky is a weird character. The current president of ukraine is a comedian and actor. He played a school teacher on a tv show who becomes the president. Then he did that in real life riding his popularity from that show.

So take that as a populist candidate if you want.

A few weeks ago, zelensky wanted to get some poo poo done by reforming the electric market. The plan was to normalize the price of electricity, take some loans from the west, and then use the profits and loans to fix the failing cold war era equipment and switch to green energy. The problem here is that Ihor Kolomoyskyi doesn't want that.

Ihor Kolomoyskyi

He was a governor who got sacked in 2015. He also owns a bank, a smelter, and what ever an oligarch owns. I guess a town. The guy fled ukraine during the last election and while he was gone his bank was nationalized. The supreme court said whoops, our bad, we can't do that, and now he is going to get some sort of large check in the mail.

What Kolomoyskyi wants though, is to bribe politicians with lobbyists to stop the electric reform either to hurt relations with the west or because he couldn't turn a profit or as large of a profit if his electric bill went up.

President zelensky called a snap parliamentary election so that he could get new blood in. This should stop Kolomoyskyi and help with the electricity reforms. The results?

43.16% for zelenskys party.

ALSO POLLS

The country is called Ukraine but westerners have a habbit of callit it The Ukraine and its probably seinfelds fault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLtF_PxbYw

Third World Reagan has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Aug 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

At some point I want to go over Ukraine and their problem with neo nazis but that is a long topic.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
great OP please just post

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
the whole "the Ukraine" thing is a nationalist language thing. When you say "in the Ukraine," you are implying that the Ukraine is a region of territory (like you would say "in the Carpathians"). This is taken to imply that Ukraine is just a part of Russia (or maybe Poland). "In Ukraine" implies that Ukraine is a nation.

Also, did i read that graph right, and there is a Ukrainian sharia law party?

edit: aww, it is a boring liberal party named after a journalist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_of_Shariy

GoluboiOgon has issued a correction as of 01:33 on Aug 10, 2019

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Somebody gave me a polite tip about the "Ukraine" vs. "the Ukraine" thing, it's good to know

If this new guy is just another neolib that makes me sad. Good news? Russia really screwed itself over by attacking the Ukraine. Turns out the Russians got most of their turbine engines (think aircraft and navy ships) from Ukraine suppliers, so even in the middle of their stalled military recapitalization effort, suddenly they have to spend much more money developing native turbine production capacity.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Nebakenezzer posted:

Somebody gave me a polite tip about the "Ukraine" vs. "the Ukraine" thing, it's good to know

If this new guy is just another neolib that makes me sad. Good news? Russia really screwed itself over by attacking the Ukraine.

did you do this on purpose

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My Ukrainian thread is very down on zelensky and considers him to just be in the pocket of some oligarch or other who isn't actually going to do anything good. I know she didn't vote for him

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So I am in a similar situation since I am basically friends with a banker who is heavily invested in zelensky and ukraine as part of a good works project. He will extract money from the place but at the same time he wants to help the people of ukraine improve their energy infrastructure.

I've looked into the personal life of zelensky and I can't find huge glaring warning signs showing him to be a bad person. I see some signs showing that he is a good person, but he might be a useful idiot as far as policy goes.

So I have some excitement as to what will happen in the future with any new policy.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
ukraine deserves to be back under the control of russia the ottomans or the golden horde take your pick

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who spent nearly 4 months in Ukraine, I don't really want to go back. Kiev was pretty decent though. I even spent some time in the DNR or close to it for a few days which is eye opening to say the least.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
how long did mongols actually hold ukraine for

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

cargo cult posted:

how long did mongols actually hold ukraine for

the crimean khanate existed until the late 1700s iirc, and was a rump state of the golden horde, but it only controlled crimea and coastal areas of black sea.

im in kiev atm its pretty cool

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
get me a souvenir

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

get me a souvenir

i stole a postcard with lenin on a rowboat from pripyat but thats mine bitch.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
fucker

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

also the last remnants of the golden horde's control were gone by 1502 so you're off by a couple hundred. mongols took over in the 1240s.

i thought the crimean khans were direct descedants of genghis? Maybe I'm thinking of something else

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
no you're right. i was thinking in golden horde terms lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

golden horde mindset

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

golden horde mindset

:nyoron:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

golden horde mindset

cernovich gets a cossack haircut and starts hawking Horse Milk Serum

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the true keto paleo diet is living off yaks milk and horse blood

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

posting video of riding from horseback with a riding stance that would crush your lower vertebrae

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bring back the ussr

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bump

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/edolinsky/status/1165203238804709379

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

thanks for reminding me that I still need to write up that neo nazi post about ukraine

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2019/09/04/the-hardcore-russian-neo-nazi-group-that-calls-ukraine-home/
Cross-posting nazi coverage to this garbage thread. Promises made promises unkept.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Oh god I keep forgetting.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Ukrainian election interference is the new Russian election interference and I could not be more thrilled

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
That article (hosted on somethingawful goon Brown Moses' website bellingcat) is a very bad source of information. It talks about a fringe russian neo-nazi group in ukraine as if they were the main nazis in ukraine. this is simply not true. there are tons of neo-nazis in ukraine, the major ones are pravij sektor and the azov batallion, but they are funded from a different source:

this might be a good time to mention that bellingcat is funded by the pro-nato group the atlantic council. note how they imply that the group that trained american nazis wasn't the azov batallion, but rather this small russian nazi group, a claim contradicted by the fbi document they link. this article is just another attempt to shift the blame for things that the us government did onto russia.

it's not that russia isn't funding funding neo-nazi and nazbol groups (they are), but almost all of the russian-funded nazis are fighting on the side of the separatists.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The Ukraine belongs to the PRC, rightfully

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ah, another mace.

from where does this mace derive its parliamentary authority?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
bring back the golden horde

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

ahhh yes.... the Macedonia *nodding knowledgeably*

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I hope this great country sinks Biddeng.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

GoluboiOgon posted:

That article (hosted on somethingawful goon Brown Moses' website bellingcat) is a very bad source of information.

a bunch of strawmen

GoluboiOgon posted:

It talks about a fringe russian neo-nazi group in ukraine as if they were the main nazis in ukraine.

it doesn't. It makes it very clear they are a part of azov, and that azov is far-right, and they covered azov repeatedly before

GoluboiOgon posted:

but they are funded from a different source

the article doesn't make funding claims and doesn't imply they are different

GoluboiOgon posted:

note how they imply that the group that trained american nazis wasn't the azov batallion

where?

GoluboiOgon posted:

this article is just another attempt to shift the blame for things that the us government did onto russia.

it doesn't implicate russia at all

The article is fine, your post could be better.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
lol you fell for the brown moses ejournalism meme

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah that article is ridiculous and the op for this thread is terrible and misleading.

You failed to mention the crippling austerity measure conducted by Yushchenko and Poroshenko. Also, Ukraine is not apart of the EU and Zelensky is on the letting Kolomoiskii get away with murder.

If anything almost nothing in the op is accurate.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I keep trying to write up the problem of nazis and neo nazis in ukraine but each time I feel like I'm not doing it justice or probably loving it up so instead have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXwqNfHhYao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Posting in The Ukraine Thread