Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

sea of losers posted:

video is even more lol when you put it like this. the guy does go into quite a bit more detail about various things, but it's just not as well organized or cut-down as the SBH video, imo

okay, the 10 hour video guy is an rear end in a top hat, but what's wrong with making long videos? why is there an arbitrary limit on video essay length

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Impermanent posted:

Because some of us have to go to loving work in the morning

no, you must quit your job so that you can get into internet fights with nerds like me!

John Murdoch posted:

I'd say a big factor is how much time you're spending on a single topic. Noah Gervais makes some long fuckin' videos (that are also very good) but he's usually breaking down entire game franchises. Or in the case of his longest to date (3 whole hours), every single piece of official content for Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. And even then, people usually nope out at the idea of watching the shorter ones.

It's less that there's an arbitrary limit on length and more that if you can't make a coherent point about a video game within about an hour or less then people are going to pointedly ignore you because they've got better things to do with their time.

And FWIW exhaustively, meticulously arguing every little tiny thing in excruciating detail is a big red flag when it comes to video production because at best it means they don't feel the need to do proper scripting/editing work and at worst they're a chud trying to pull the ole "I said the most words about why Square isn't allowed to censor Tifa's boobs therefore I am the most correct and logical and rational" trick.

for the record, i mostly listened mauler's video instead of watching it, so you probably have a good point about editing. i didn't really get a "i said the most, therefore shut up" vibe though, just a ridiculous level of focus. i understand time considerations, but i feel like there's a difference between "i won't watch this guy because holy poo poo, how long is this?" and "this video is 10 hours long and therefore bad."

the mgs4 video is particularly good! it really didn't feel like 3 hours to me, and it felt like a fairly comprehensive look at the tangled mess of mgs4 and it's production and staff.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
uh, mentioning antivaxxers and jordan peterson in a discussion about an admittedly excessive video about dark souls 2 is kinda weird? i think? mauler is certainly trying to persuade people that he's right about his opinions on dark souls 2, but that's not really indoctrination. it's just poorly edited.

Whalley posted:

Also it's boring and weird to spend three hours listening to a lonely obsessive ramble. Whycome y'all wanna ignore public transport mumblers only to go home and get on youtube and listen to the same.

fukkin i don't know, man. some people like movies, i like to watch poo poo like metal gear solid critiques and half in the bag or whatever. sometimes i listen to them like podcasts when i'm playing my overpriced open world games. why is that weird?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

LionEyez posted:

Although he did beat it without complaining or getting help from his fans, which is a first for him

Metal gear solid 3, or his dick??

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

TheNamedSavior posted:

Crowbcat included a "we were kings and poo poo" joke in an E3 video that depicted the Assassin's Creed game set in Egypt. For those unaware of nazi call signs, we were kings is an unfunny meme that is usually spelled poorly, that's ENTIRE purpose is to mock black people for being proud of Africa's history of city-states and empires that are ignored by most of the world due to the effects of colonialism, and literally you only see it made by nazis who are unfunny dipshits or unfunny dipshits likely to turn out to be actual nazis when given time.

Crowbcat's NEVER apologized for it and probably contains no remorse for it, he(?)'s removed other videos in the past that were a little too controversial for one reason or another, such as an lovely VR video that was removed because it misrepresented some of the people who were in the video's views, but not the one that FLAT OUT uses lovely racist call signs.

Crowbcat is bad for many reasons, but racism for me is enough to say this pretentious idiot doesn't deserve a SINGLE one of their supporters.

or he included it because it was a thing that dumb people were saying at the time, and he's includes sound and video bytes to his videos like that on occasion?