Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Advanced Squad Leader: Playing this alone is such a HASL

Advanced Squad Leader - I survived Stalingrad and all I got was this lousy LP

Advanced Squad Leader. Originally released in 1985 and improving on the original Squad Leader system, itself having been released in 1977, is a hex-based wargame that focuses almost entirely on the Second World War. It uses geomorphic boards along with counters representing various nations to play out company- and battalion-sized combat situations that took place during the war.

Squad Leader originally featured German, Russian, and American counters before expansions added some minor countries, the French and British, and expanded on some OoBs. Advanced Squad Leader changed things up so much that Squad Leader itself became irrelevant and has stood the test of time as an incredibly complex yet infinitely replayable board game. Unlike SL, ASL's first module (set, expansion, etc) only had the Russians, Germans, and Finns. All other major nations would eventually be added in modules specifically designed around them. These would feature scenarios designed around them, documentation about their weapons and vehicles, and large amounts of counters to fulfill all your cardboard needs.

Along with these national modules, certain others were created to represent certain specific engagements such as the Battle of Stalingrad. These Historical Advanced Squad Leaders games used the same rules as ASL, but would a more realistic map as opposed to the geomorphic boards. The scenarios included would almost always be solely designed for the special map as well. Scenarios weren't the only way to play either, instead players could play campaign games that were essentially multiple scenarios strung together to represent X number of days from start to finish. The twist is that, not only is victory, or defeat, potentially much further away, but you also have new dilemnas arising such as needing to conserve your forces, purchasing reinforcements, and managing your time/movement and territorial gains/losses.

Campaign games also lend themselves to a lot more "randomness" as you don't know what your opponent will purchase or use after the first day/scenario. Should you buy an anti-tank gun in case he acquires a few tanks, does the terrain favour this option or would it be wiser to get more infantry or support weapons to fight off incoming infantry? Do you splurge for some artillery to harass or punch a hole in your enemies front, or maybe adding a pillbox to a defensive line? Rarely are there perfect answers, especially when one doesn't even know what terrain he is on!

Which brings me to this specific campaign, the Battle of Stalingrad. As the name implies, the campaign takes place in Stalingrad, the city on the Volga, and represents the fighting that took place there in 1942 by the advancing Germans. As with most city sieges, fighting took place in close quarters, with plenty of room/building clearing, and ambushes.

So what does Stalingrad look like in ASL?

As you can see, there's plenty of buildings strewn about, with a few famous locations found in the maze of stone, wood, and rubble.

As a little bit of background on Stalingrad, the city became a center of attention as the Germans proceeded with their summer offensive of 1942, with the goal of capturing the Caucasus area for their rich oil fields. The Germans had reached the eastern edge of the Don river by the end of July, and only Stalingrad stood as a major location on the Volga river. In order to stabilize the front, as the Germans would be adding a sizeable area to their frontage by capturing those fields, it was envisioned to take Stalingrad as one such anchor point in the line.

By the end of August, the Germans would be at Stalingrad's doorsteps, and the city would become subjected to bombing raids. By the time this campaign takes place, at the Red Barricades factory, the Germans have taken over a large portion of the city, around half of it. But those 45 or so days took a heavy toll on both sides. Once bustling city blocks were reduced to burned out ruins, with rubble, dust, and debris becoming the main means of concealment. The cluttered ruins forced both defender and aggressor to fight in close quarters, with little breathing room between front lines, if they could even be distinguished on a map. It was not uncommon for both sides to be fighting for control of the same building, with barely a wall to separate sides.

Under these conditions, attrition claimed hundreds of lives every day, and men were constantly brought in to replace the losses. The average survival rate was less than a day for soldiers thrust into the bloody city on the Volga.

So, how exactly is this thread going to play out? Well, hopefully it will be an extensive playthrough of ASL gameplay provided by yours truly, in video format, with named entries from participants who wish to see their names emblazoned on counters, while trying to survive the ordeal.

But... what exactly is involved when it comes to playing ASL? Well, thankfully COOL CORN wrote up an awesome intro to that some time ago that I'm going to steal wholesale from.

quote:

Game Pieces

A quick disclaimer - ASL uses a lot of acronyms. I will do my best to explain the acronym the first time I use it, but if I fail to do so or if you're confused, please ask!

SMCs (single-man counters)
(front)
(back)

Single-man counters are easy to remember, there's only a single man on here! These represent leaders and heroes (which I'll explain if we see them). These guys only have two numbers on them. The first is their morale value. If something bad happens, or if they need to figure out IF they can do something, they roll against that number. Lower than that is good, higher is bad. The second number is their modifier, in this case a -2. Any unit stacked with the leader gets to subtract 2 from most any roll their make. This would be read as a "nine neg two leader".
When the unit is flipped over, that means they're "broken". Their morale has failed and they're cowering. They can't do anything but hopefully rally during the rally phase. The only number here is their morale number, they can't modify anyone else's roll now. BUT, the box around the number means that they can SELF-rally during the rally phase. Normally, a unit would need a leader with them to get them back in the fight, but these guys muster their own courage.

MMCs (multi-man counters)
(front)
(back)

Any unit with three men on it is a FULL SQUAD. Any unit with two men on it is a HALF SQUAD (except for crews, I'll explain later). The letter in the upper right designates their quality. E = elite, 1 = 1st line, 2 = 2nd line, C = conscript. The numbers, from left to right are (using the blue counter as an example):
8: their firepower
3: their "smoke exponent", what they have to roll less than in order to successfully use a smoke grenade. No exponent, no smoke.
3: their range - they can fire at full firepower up to 3 hexes away, half firepower up to 6 hexes away.
8: their morale
On the back, again, is their broken side. As I mentioned before, these units need a leader to rally them, as designated by NO box around their morale number.

The three colors above are our three nationalities. Blue is German, brownish-orange is Russian, and green is Rumanian.

SWs (support weapons)
(front)
(back)
(front)
(back)

SWs are carried by MMCs (remember what that means??), and I'll get to the actual firing rules when I actually use them. The acronyms here are:
HMG, MMG, LMG - heavy, medium, light machine gun
FT - flamethrower
DC - demolition charge

The numbers are (I'll use the HMG as an example):
5PP - 5 "portage points". A MMC can carry 3PP normally, and each additional PP they carry lowers their movement by one. Guns are heavy.
[3] - The boxed three is the weapon's "rate of fire". If the colored die is a 3 or less, the weapon can keep firing, instead of the one-and-done that most firing is.
6 - firepower
12 - range (the beauty of machine guns)
And on the back (malfunctioned) side:
R3 - if the weapons is malfunctioned, it would need a 3 or less to repair
X6 - if you try to repair the weapon and roll a 6, it's eliminated. Crumbles into dust, as most Russian equipment does.

Radios, DCs and FTs have their own rules, but for now suffice it to say that the only difference is that the Radio has three different success numbers, depending on which year you're playing. Technology got better later in the war.

Guns
(front)
(back)

Manned guns (noted by the bigger 5/8" counters, not the 1/2" SWs) are somewhat different looking than what we've seen. And, they use a different system of firing. Whereas most firing just rolls for effect, guns (and AFVs) first roll to hit, then designate a type of ammo, then roll for effect. So, all that is rolled into the counter. I didn't get a screenshot, but they must be manned by "crew" counters, or suffer a penalty.

MTR = mortar, and AT = anti-tank gun. Here are the values:
M11/M10 - the "manhandle" value. These guns can be pushed around, but it's not easy. I usually never even do it unless I really need to.
[3] - as before, this is the ROF (rate of fire)
82* / 57LL - the mortar is a 82mm short barrel (* = short). The line above the number means it can fire ONLY HE (high explosive) ammo. The AT gun is a 57mm extra-long (LL) barrel.
[3-78] - most guns have a really, really long range, so it's not even listed on the counter (and I don't even know it off the top of my head, it's so long). The mortar can only fire between 3 and 78 (ha!) hexes away. So, basically it can't fire closer than 3 hexes.

The back is the same R/X values as we saw on the SWs.

AFVs (armored fighting vehicles)
(front)
(back)

Oh, AFVs. I've been playing for a long time and still haven't mastered AFVs. There are tanks, half-tracks, trucks, landing vehicles, weird little ski-vehicles... almost every type of vehicle has its own set of rules. Literally - each vehicle (each nationality has 25-50) has its own paragraph in the rules book.

Luckily, this scenario only uses two. The Russian T-26S M37, and the German Stürmgeschutz (StuG) IIIB. I'll just explain each one.

The T-26S M37:
The upper right number is the movement allowance. It is in an oval because the vehicle is fully-tracked. The number is red because Russian vehicles had notoriously bad transmissions - you have roll a die when you start the vehicle, and a 12 causes it to break down.
The thick box around the counter means the it has a "restricted slow traverse" turret. This means that the main gun can only fire if the tank is buttoned-up, and the turret turns very slowly.
The "3" and "[1]" on the right are the vehicles armor values. The top is used when the tank is hit from the front. The bottom is used when the tank is hit from the sides or back. The square means that the upper structure of the tank is stronger on the back and sides than the lower structure of the tank.
The "[1]" on the left is the rate of fire number
The "B11" means the main gun breaks down if I roll an 11 or higher.
The main gun is a 45mm long barrel.
The "-/4" means that the vehicle has no bow machine gun, but has a 4-firepower coaxial machine gun, which fires in the same direction that the turret is facing.

OKAY, on to the StuG IIIB:
14 movement allowance, fully tracked.
No box around the counter means that the vehicle is NOT turreted. It can only fire in the direction the vehicle is facing.
6 frontal armor, 3 rear/side armor. The white circle means that the tank is a small target, which is a defensive bonus.
1 rate of fire
75mm short barrelled gun
On the back of the counter (which VASSAL doesn't show), there are numbers to use for HEAT (high explosive anti-tank) ammo, smoke rounds, AP (armor-piercing) ammo, smoke dischargers, and crew survival. I'll address those as I come to them.

Snipers

Snipers are very abstract in this game. You don't move them around the board yourself. I'll get into the actual mechanics if and when they happen, but here's the gist:
Each player has a "SAN" (sniper activation number) defined on the scenario card. VASSAL lets me mark it on the counter itself, so you see above that the Russians have a SAN of 4.
If the Germans roll a 4 during a firing phase, the Russian sniper is activated. The Russian player rolls one die, and if it's a 1 or 2, the sniper hits something.
The Russian player rolls two dice, one is the direction (along the edge of the counter), and the other is the distance in hexes. The sniper gets moved, and shoots the closest target.
That's the TL;DR version.

Foxholes

Foxholes are given by the scenario card, and add a defensive bonus for the units in it. The "1S" means that only one squad can be in it at a time, in addition to single-man counters. The other numbers are defensive bonuses.

Roadblocks

A roadblock is basically a Wall terrain that the player can place anywhere. Vehicles can't pass it, but infantry can.

Terrain (at least what's on this map)

Open Ground

Nothing special about open ground. But, if a unit is walking through open ground, the other player gets pretty sick bonuses when firing on them.
Cost to move into for infantry: 1 MF (movement factor)

Shellholes

Shellholes are treated as open ground, unless an extra movement point is spent, in which case it hunkers down in the shellhole and gets a defensive bonus.
Cost: 1 / 2 MF

Woods

Woods provide a +1 defensive modifier, and cost 2 MF to move into. Also, blocks line-of-sight through.

Grain

Grain doesn't block line of sight, but each hex between the attacker and the defender that it passes through adds +1 to the roll, making it worse. It costs 1.5 MF to move through when in season (which it is).

Hedges/Walls
(hedge)
(wall)

Hedges and walls are complicated with regards to line of sight, which I'll address if it comes up. A wall has a +2 defensive bonus, a hedge has a +1. They cost 1 MF + whatever the cost of the hex their moving into it.

Marsh

A marsh doesn't block line of sight, but is a hindrance (just like grain). It costs all your MF to move into a marsh, and vehicles can't enter it, AND you can only fire light machine guns from it, not medium or heavy. I'll probably stay out of this.

Buildings
(wooden)
(stone)

Buildings that are in one hex have only a ground floor, 2-hex buildings have a ground and 1st floor, 3+ hex buildings have ground/1st/2nd floors.
Buildings provide a +2 bonus for wooden, +3 for stone, and cost 2 MF to move into.

The terrains have other little details here and there, which I'll address as they come up.

This is by no means all the various terrain that we will see, but in the interest of keeping things simple I'll end it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Red Factories

Red Factories is the amalgamation of two separate campaign games: Red Barricades and Red October. Red October was only released in 2019, and, since Red Barricades did not see a reprint in... probably decades, both were packaged together and an option put in place to play on both maps at the same time. Now, granted, that is technically only available for a specific timeframe, as combat in Stalingrad, while simultaneous along the front, was not the same as the attempted offensives to capture the factories in the northern section of the city. In this regard, I will be implementing the same sort of ruleset for the expanded map (seen below) whereby an early entry into the extended map will incur penalties upon the attacking and/or defending side, so it will be in the best interest of both parties NOT to trigger it.

quote:

Debris

Provides a little defensive bonus, a little movement penalty, and acts as a hindrance to any shots through it. Plus, the only vehicles that can move through it are fully-tracked AFVs, and even then they have to spend 1/4 of their movement points and may potentially bog in it.

Railway Embankments

Represents slightly elevated railroad tracks. For all intents and purposes, works for the same as walls do in regular ASL, except vehicles can move over it WITHOUT taking a bog check.

Printed Rubble

Normal ASL uses counters to represent stone and wood rubble, but in RB it's printed on the map. Acts as a half-level LOS blockage for the entire hex (not just the actual depiction), but provides the same defensive bonus as a wood/stone building. It costs THREE MF to enter a rubble hex, which is a lot!

Factories

Any building with a road running into it is a factory. Factories are fun - all units inside a factory can see each other, but receive a penalty for each hex in between themselves and their target. This makes factory fighting especially nasty! Also, the hexside with the road is a vehicular-sized entrance, meaning that vehicles can enter the factory and join the fight!

Cellars

All multi-hex non-factory buildings have cellars. Cellars are similar to Level 1, Level 2, but... well, they're down instead of up! Units in a cellar can only be seen from above, and adjacent, and have a +4 TEM!

Culverts

There's one culvert on the map, which is just a gully running underground. It acts the same as a gully, if you enter from a gully hex, and acts the same as open ground, if you enter from a non-gully hex. It's logical.

Storage Tanks

Single level concealment terrain that provides a defensive bonus to units, unless they're being fired on from two opposite directions (i.e. encircled). Then they receive no bonus!

quote:

Following the fall of the Dzherhezinsky Tractor Factory, the Germans turned southwards against the Red Barricades Ordnance Factory. Fighting in the Barrikady Housing Estate and the Silicate Plant, west of the Red Barricades, had been raging since early October. Now the Germans were reinforced by units that had pulverized the Tractor Factory. Elements of Panzer Division 14 and Infanterie Division 389 commenced their attack from the north, while elements of Panzer Division 24, Infanterie Division 305 and Jaeger Division 100 came on from the west. The Russian 84th Tank Brigade and 308th Rifle Division struggled to hold the northern and western approaches to the factory. On 15 October, as Major Pechenyuk's 650th Rifle Regiment (138th Rifle Division) crossed the Volga, vicious fighting raged north of the Barrikady in the Minusinsk area. The next day a combined force of German tanks and infantry, supported by Stukas, advanced south along Tramvanaya Street, striking the 84th Tank Brigade. Dug-in Soviet tanks destroyed a dozen panzers at close range, stalling the enemy infantry. The Germans attacked again, but took frightful losses from a well-placed Katyusha barrage. Both the 84th Tank Brigade and the 308th Infantry Division struggled on, buying precious time for the two remaining regiments (the 344th and 768th) of Col. Lyudnikov's 138th Rifle Division to cross the fire-swept river. Arriving during the early morning hours of 17 October, the men were ordered to hold the Barrikady at all costs. Later that morning, the Germans attacked again as the newly arrived Soviets were still preparing their positions

I will be playing this live on twitch after the first day of pre-recordings has been posted. This is, firstly, to help cut down on production time, as simply playing one player turn can be lengthy and exhausting (see the 2 hour video below). Secondly, I can get some interaction done between viewers and myself, whether it is was suggestions on plans of attack, discussion of tactics, or other topics. I would also enjoy seeing people post here as well, as I will only be streaming once a week, at most.

I'll be looking for people to claim leaders, which will be named after them. Either side is open for claims. Additionally, if there's enough support/desire for it, I will allow people to influence unit purchases when we get to the end of a in-game day.

Lastly, I cannot stress how complicated a game like ASL can be for such large campaign games, not to mention my somewhat hamfisted approach at tying two together and hoping it doesn't create a huge mess. So if I make any errors while playing, kindly point them out if possible! I view this as a huge undertaking, and I would enjoy it even more if I could learn more and hone my ASL gaming ability.

How will this play out?

Red Factories has a number of campaign games, but my mish-mash of games will begin on October 17, 1942, with an end occurring on December 30, 1942. It is possible that, given the nature of ASL, a game will end much earlier than either date.

The objective of the Germans is to capture all but 3 stone buildings (and locations) on the entire map. This is much easier said than done, as there are 570 stone locations on the Red Barricades map and another 491 on the Red October map.

German forces:
Elements of Infanterie Division 389:
Rifle Company
PzKw IIIL Platoon
Sturm Coy
80mm Battalion Mortar Artillery + Offboard Observer (see also SSR I.3)
15 Campaign Purchase Points

Russian forces:
Elements of the 138th Rifle Division
Rifle Company × 2
Submachine Gunner Company
45LL AT × 2 + 2-2-8 × 2
Fortified Building Locations × 5
8 Campaign Purchase Points
50 Fortification Purchase Points

CPP is used to purchase new units, better snipers, offboard artillery, and fortification points; FPP is used to purchase trenches, mines, and other defensive fieldworks.

In addition to everything else, I've acquired some day-by-day atlas'es of the fighting at Stalingrad, and will be inserting some info to go along with the game posts as content to give the reader an idea of the ferocity of the fighting at Stalingrad, and what each sides objectives were at that point in time. I may draw comparisons with ASL and how it decides to implement modifiers.

What's available to each side?

The Germans get a large selection of vehicles, and generally have higher morale soldiers.

Note: This are after day 1

While lacking slightly in morale, the Russians clearly have the numbers advantage.

Note: This are after day 1

The Germans will want to close things out as fast as possible, as every day of delays diminishes their chances at penetrating the Russian defenses. Mind you, there will be some limitations on how many Russians can be purchased, as seen with the daily max, but I will also have some soft limits because the RO reinforcements are three separate numbers spanning 3 different time periods, which I've collated together.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 11, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Videos
October 17th, Part 1

Casualties
Germans [Lost 33 CVP]
Rifle Company A (3 squads - 6 CVP) + 8-0(x1 - 1 CVP)
Rifle Company B (6 squads - 12 CVP) + MTR(x1)
Sturm Company A (5 squads - 10 CVP) +9-1(1x - 2 CVP) +7-0(1x - 1 CVP)
HW Platoon A (1 crew - 2 CVP)
Panzer III Ausf H Platoon A (1 Vehicle - 4 CVP)

Russians [Lost 62 CVP]
Militia Company A (8 squads - 16 CVP) + 8-1(x1 - 2 CVP) + LMG(x1) + ATR(x1)
Militia Company B (3 squads - 6 CVP) + MTR(x1)
Rifle Company A (5 squads - 10 CVP) + MMG(x1)
Rifle Company B (3 squads - 6 CVP)
SMG Company A (5 squads - 10 CVP)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Scorekeeping
Germans have lost 33 CVP and won 1 scenarios
Russians have lost 62 CVP and won 0 scenarios

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 26, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCGGtCaU2oM
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 1

The start of the campaign sees the beginning of tons of explanations for the newcomer to ASL. There's a lot to go through, but don't worry, as I'm more than happy to explain rules and actions. If I make mistakes, please keep the following rule in mind

quote:

A.2 ERRORS: All results stand once play has progressed past the point of commission. In other words, if an error is discovered after play has passed that point, the game cannot be backed up to correct the error, even if such error is in violation of a rule.1 For example, assume an attack is resolved without the application of a proper DRM, and a subsequent attack is resolved, or another unit moved, or play proceeds to another phase before a player remembers he was entitled to a DRM in the previous attack, thus changing the result. His failure to apply that DRM at the time of commission has cost him his right to claim that DRM. Or perhaps a player moves a unit before remembering that he wanted other units to attempt to Rally in the RPh or fire or entrench in the PFPh. Once the Phase for execution of a particular action has passed, the player has lost any claim to that capability.

Problems happen, but it shouldn't hold you back on having a fun time.

The story so far:

The Germans are unable to gain a lot of ground, but losses are nil (especially due to an error on my part vis-a-vis LOS checks on debris hexes). The Russians, however, aren't so lucky, and quickly lose three squads to murderous fire. Technically, 1 German squad should also have been eliminated at the 41 minute mark, but I played through it and by now its not possible to go back without redoing 10 hours of footage, so it will stay. The Germans also manage to capture a militia squad, but I forget to roll for interrogation.

Losses
Germans

Russians
Militia Company A (2 squads - 4 CVP)
SMG Company A (1 squad - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 0 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

State of the board at the end of Part 1

State of MAP control at the end of Part 1 [Colourized]

What actually happened that day? (According to Stalingrad Battle Atlas, Vol II - by Anton Joly)

Weather: Partly Cloudy, Cold.

Germans capture the southern portion (completing their control) of the Red Barricades factory. 300 to 400 prisoners were captured, as well as equipment. A directive by Hitler instructs the Army to begin preparations for a defensive line in the coming months.

Since September 13 (the beginning of the offensive on Stalingrad), the Germans report that they have captured 18000 prisoners, destroyed or immobilized 233 tanks, and captured or destroyed 302 guns. Another 5600 prisoners, 616 tanks destroyed, and 87 guns destroyed/captured further north of the city. 670 enemy planes were shot down over Stalingrad, with AA artillery and ground troops claiming an additional 88 planes.

German losses so far have been 2500 dead, 10300 wounded, and 300 missing. Numbers for planes and tanks are not present.

German losses for October 16th, 1942 in Stalingrad are reported as: 299 wounded, 61 killed, 21 missing.

---Do keep in mind that these numbers are not complete, as some data was lost in the intervening years, and accurate counts are difficult to ascertain in the best of conditions. The nature of the fighting at Stalingrad also made it hard for the Russians, especially, to keep accurate numbers on losses. That, or they are not yet documented and have not been mentioned in the Atlas for this particular day.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 11, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Infantry Squads - Differences

Every major nation gets their very own unique types of squads. Some will resemble each other in basic stats, like a 4-4-7, which is fairly standard, but may differ in special abilities.

Full Squads

Half Squads

Russian squads skew towards short-range shooting, regular firepower, and decent morale.

There's a few things we can glean from the Russian squads we can see:

1. Only one type of squad (Assault Engineers) get any smoke.
2. A large portion of squad types are limited to 2 range, which isn't great.1
3. The submachine squads, the 6-2-8 and the 5-2-7, both get Spraying Fire and Assault Rifle.2, 3

[1] This doesn't mean units with 2 range can't fire up to twice that (4 hexes), but they will fire at half their firepower for anything over two hexes.
[2] Spraying Fire allows a unit to shoot two adjacent hexes at the same time, at half firepower.
[3] Assault Fire allows a unit to retain more firepower in the Advancing Fire Phase, and is always a bonus to have.

Full Squads

Half Squads

German squads tend to have decent firepower, okay range, and good morale.

As for capabilities, we can see that they have:

1. Really good smoke exponents, allowing them an easy way to drop smoke and protect themselves, or others.
2. Only the best squads have Assault Fire.
3. Everyone gets Spraying Fire.

The German player will have an easier time at resisting morale breaks, but the Russian player enjoys a numerical advantage. This should become more and more apparent as the campaign moves forward, reflecting the changing roles in the fight for Stalingrad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Tanks - Differences

As well as different squads, historically, nation's had their own indigenous tank designs, each with their own strengths and flaws.

T-60 M42

The smallest tank available to the Russians in this campaign game, the T-60 is useful against infantry, and not much else. It can definitely be put to use against armored cars and guns, but should avoid other tanks.

Notes:
Has no radio
Crew survival DR of 2
20LL gun is equivalent to a 4 FP attack.

T-70

The slightly bigger brother to the T-60, the T-70 sports a 45mm cannon but suffers from the same general lack of armor. Both are small, making them harder to hit.

Notes:
Has no radio
Crew survival DR of 2
APCR availability DR of 4

KV-1 M42

The heavy tank of the first few years of the war, the KV-1 proved to be too slow, while not carrying a stronger punch than the T-34. However, they were put to good use while R&D was able to develop something to replace it. Because of its larger size, it is easier to hit.

Notes:
Poor transmission may lead to a breakdown
Crew survival DR of 6

T-34 M41

The early T-34 had several issues, biggest of all was the poor transmission in the tank. Despite this, the Russians stuck with the design as it performed well. It, like the KV-1, carried a 76mm gun.

Notes:
Poor transmission may lead to a breakdown
Crew Survival DR of 5
No Radio

T-34 M43

Following experiences in the field, the T-34 was refined further, notably resolving the issue with the transmission, eliminating the breakdown issue.

Notes:
Crew survival DR of 5

OT-34

The T-34 was found to be suitable for conversion to a flamethrower tank. A flamethrower was installed in place of the hull-mounted machine gun. The conversion was based on the earlier model of T-34, hence the [17] red movement points, to signify it had a poor transmission susceptible to breaking down. As well, the flamethrower tank wasn't meant for tank combat, and thus carried only a small amount of AP ammunition.

Notes:
No radio
Crew survival DR of 4
AP availability DR of 7
No Illuminating Rounds
APCR availability DR of 2

Altogether, the Russians have some good tanks, especially in terms of their armor. Other than the newer T-34 M43s and their light tanks, they suffer from mobility issues which could lead to mechanical breakdowns. They won't have many tanks available near the Red Barricades factory, so caution will have to be exercised if they don't want to have to depend on another region's tank forces. The lack of radios can also be a major concern, as it punishes their ability to act independently of one another.

The 76mm gun found on most tanks is, however, more than enough to deal with anything the Germans might throw at them, and, although the number of flame tanks may be limited to one, put to good use, could be very effective at eliminating pockets of resistance.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So basically here the Russians want to make this a slog via attrition to make the Germans bleed while the next line of defense is getting setup, rinse, lather, repeat block by block.

Meatgrinder. What rough scale is this battle at? Batallion? Company?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

So basically here the Russians want to make this a slog via attrition to make the Germans bleed while the next line of defense is getting setup, rinse, lather, repeat block by block.

Meatgrinder. What rough scale is this battle at? Batallion? Company?

Essentially, yes. The overall strategy at the time for the Soviets was to bleed the Germans dry as they continuously sent more men into the ruimed city, at a steady enough rate to maintain a defensive line while they build up the flanks for the eventual counter-attack we would historically see around the new year.

As for size, well, considering the length of time it may take to get to the end, and how many reinforcements can be purchased, I'd say we'll definitely hit Division-level manpower numbers for each side, which is close to what it would've been.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The first video has three companies of Jerry and two (three?) tanks clashing with a lot of Russians (Soviets?), including some poor militia.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

The first video has three companies of Jerry and two (three?) tanks clashing with a lot of Russians (Soviets?), including some poor militia.

Should be

Germans
---------------
Rifle Company A
Rifle Company B
Sturm Company A
Heavy Weapons Platoon A
Panzer III Ausf L Platoon
80mm Battalion Mortar Offboard Artillery

Soviets
------------
Rifle Company A
Rifle Company B
SMG Company A
Militia Company A
Militia Company B
45LL AT Gun x 2

Only reason I got any Militia is because they become unavailable after October, and historically it made more sense to have them near the start of the offensive. They would've have mostly comprised workers from the factories who, because of the destruction of the factories they worked in, were no longer capable of producing tanks. In fact, it wasn't unheard of for tanks to roll off the production lines, sometimes with factory workers manning it, and heading off to the front lines for combat minutes, if not hours, later.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Tanks - Differences (Part 2)

Continuing the differences between tanks, here's the available line-up for the Germans.

SdKfz 251/1

Specifically a half-track, the SdKfz 251/1 offers protection to anyone inside, but its open-top nature won't protect it against anyone at higher ground.

Notes:
Can carry 15 Portage Points of units
Crew Survival DR of 5
Can tow a gun up to 7 in weight

SdKfz 222(L)

An armored car, the SdKfz 222(L) carried a 20mm auto-cannon, but offered little in terms of armour for its crew, which is exacerbated in the closed environment of Stalingrad.

Notes:
Crew Survival DR of 3
Smoke Discharger availability DR of 6
Main Armament can also be used as an Anti-Air weapon
Reversing costs 3x as much to enter a new hex

StuG IIIB

A development from the Panzer III hull, the StuG offered a small, but effective weapons platform that was used in an infantry support role. The short 75mm cannon was useful in destroying fortifications and strongpoints.

Notes:
Crew Survival DR of 4
Smoke Discharger availability DR of 7
AP availability DR of 7
Smoke availability DR of 9
HEAT availability DR of 6

StuG IIIG

Developed as a necessity after the Germans encountered the T-34 tank, the long 75mm gun gave tankers the ability to fight the lauded T-34 on even terms.

Notes:
Crew Survival DR of 4
Smoke availability DR of 8
APCR availability DR of 6
AAMG can only shoot through the VCA

StuIG 33B

An experimental series of mobile infantry gun, there were only 24 StuIG 33B ever produced, all being lost on the Eastern Front. Despite their failure, German high command would not give up on the idea of a vehicle to fill in its intended role.

Notes:
Crew Survival DR of 5
HEAT availability DR of 7
No Illuminated Rounds
Can fire BMG while in Hull Down position

Panzer III Ausf H

After several earlier models, the Ausf H model had extra armor bolted on, increasing its defensive capabilities. However, because of the nature of the upgrade, it was not equivalent to having a uniform hull of the same thickness.

Notes:
Crew Survival DR of 6
APCR availability DR of 5

Panzer III Ausf L

An improved version of the Ausf H, the L featured a slightly better armor arrangement, and also had the long 50mm cannon, which improved its penetration capabilities.

Notes:
Crew Survival DR of 5
APCR availability DR of 6

Panzer IV Ausf F1

The earlier Panzer IVs had a short 75mm cannon, used primarily for infantry support duties (the Panzer III was designed to fight other tanks). The F1 was the final iteration of the short gun variants.

Notes:
Crew Survival DR of 6
AP availability DR of 7
HEAT availability DR of 6

Panzer IV Ausf F2

The Panzer III and short-barreled 75mm gun versions of the Panzer IV were incapable of dealing with T-34 and KV-1 tanks at a distance, and the Panzer IV Ausf F2 was designed as a remedy to that issue. The long 75mm gun enabled the Panzer IV to fight on its terms against the T-34, though not with impunity.

Notes:
Crew Survival DR of 6
Smoke Discharger availability DR of 6
Smoke availability DR of 8
APCR availability DR of 5

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-1laYjpH5k
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 2

The story so far:

The Russians get to move this turn, but without anything to recapture, there's no incentive to ever move out of their locations, except maybe to dodge artillery. Their shots don't cause any casualties, and a close combat is cut short when the Militia squad goes down early, with the first Support Weapon (SW) destruction also occurring. Another German tank is under the sights of a 2nd Russian AT gun, but time will tell which of the two will become a casualty first.

Losses
Germans

Russians
Militia Company A (3 squads - 6 CVP) + LMG(x1)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 0 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

State of the board at the end of Part 2

State of MAP control at the end of Part 2 [Colourized]

What actually happened that day? (According to Stalingrad Battle Atlas, Vol II - by Anton Joly)

Germans capture the southern portion (completing their control) of the Red Barricades factory. 300 to 400 prisoners were captured, as well as equipment. A directive by Hitler instructs the Army to begin preparations for a defensive line in the coming months.

Since September 13 (the beginning of the offensive on Stalingrad), the Germans report that they have captured 18000 prisoners, destroyed or immobilized 233 tanks, and captured or destroyed 302 guns. Another 5600 prisoners, 616 tanks destroyed, and 87 guns destroyed/captured further north of the city. 670 enemy planes were shot down over Stalingrad, with AA artillery and ground troops claiming an additional 88 planes.

German losses so far have been 2500 dead, 10300 wounded, and 300 missing. Numbers for planes and tanks are not present.

German losses for October 16th, 1942 in Stalingrad are reported as: 299 wounded, 61 killed, 21 missing.

---Do keep in mind that these numbers are not complete, as some data was lost in the intervening years, and accurate counts are difficult to ascertain in the best of conditions. The nature of the fighting at Stalingrad also made it hard for the Russians, especially, to keep accurate numbers on losses. That, or they are not yet documented and have not been mentioned in the Atlas for this particular day.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB5C9f6swyk
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 3

The story so far:

The Germans manage to cross into the first set of stone buildings, but the Russians are taking a toll on them due to some poor moves and great die rolls. An anti-tank gun falls to infantry in close combat while its distracted trying to kill a 2nd German tank, and snipers start to become more prominent on the field of battle. The German push in the north suffers a major setback.

Losses
Germans [Lost 3 CVP]
Rifle Company A (1 squad - 2 CVP) + 8-0(x1 - 1 CVP)

Russians [Lost 14 CVP]
Militia Company A (4 squads - 8 CVP) + LMG(x1)
Militia Company B (1 squad - 2 CVP)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 3 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units
Softnum [Russian Leader] 7-0

State of the board at the end of Part 3

State of MAP control at the end of Part 3 [Colourized]

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 21, 2019

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Enjoyed this so far. I'm working my way through the SKs so this will be a good primer for when I get into ASL proper.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Huskalator posted:

Enjoyed this so far. I'm working my way through the SKs so this will be a good primer for when I get into ASL proper.

Glad I could be of help! If you have any questions about the rules, I'll do my best to help figure stuff out. Its a lot to absorb, but I feel like the system does a really good job once you learn how it goes about abstracting the inner workings of tactical-level combat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsmEncpJbW0
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 4

The story so far:

Plenty of fire is exchanged between both sides, but only one German squad is permanently removed from the battlefield. The Russians begin sending everyone on the right flank towards the center, with the eventual goal of reinforcing the left flank, or preventing a breakthrough should that occur. (By this point I was still ignorant of the LOS from debris hexes, so a nice Berserk stack goes to waste)

Losses
Germans [Lost 5 CVP]
Rifle Company A (1 squad - 2 CVP)

Russians [Lost 14 CVP]
Militia Company A (4 squads - 8 CVP) + LMG(x1)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions

Special Units

State of the board at the end of Part 4

State of MAP control at the end of Part 4 [Colourized]

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 31, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DltuN-PZmQ
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 5

The story so far:

The Germans are attempting to make some progress again, and yet another unit goes Berserk. By this point, however, I've realised my mistake with the LOS, and the unit is in sight of an enemy unit, so we will get to see someone charge recklessly at the Russians. Another weapon for the Russians is eliminated, due to a failed repair die roll. More artillery comes down, getting a few results. The advancing Germans gain a little ground, but also saw a number of units break or get pinned down at inopportune moments. By the end of the turn, a fierce melee has developed in a rubbled structure.

Losses
Germans [Lost 11 CVP]
Rifle Company A (1 squad - 2 CVP)
Sturm Company A (1 squad - 2 CVP)

Russians [Lost 18 CVP]
Militia Company A (5 squads - 10 CVP) + LMG(x1) + ATR(x1)
Rifle Company A () + MMG(x1)
SMG Company A (2 squads - 4 CVP)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 4 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units

State of the board at the end of Part 5

State of MAP control at the end of Part 5 [Colourized]

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 31, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H34sJ97WSsA
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 6

The story so far:

Several squads give up the fight through some poor rallies, while the Russians experience difficulties getting some of their support weapons to function. An attack versus some deadly 5-4-8 squads knocks them both out of action, forcing them to retreat. More men are shuffled over to the western edge of the combat area. A hero emerges in the manufacturing hall, and helps attack the fascists in the debris fields northwest of his position. Two Russian squads are eliminated when they were caught by German troops on the ground floor of I6, the German berserk'ed squad survives an onslaught of fire and bides its time. Later on, the men on the 2nd floor of I6 rushes the Germans below and wipes them out in close combat. Further south, a Russian squad falls to the enemy.

Losses
Germans [Lost 11 CVP]
Rifle Company A (2 squads - 4 CVP) + 8-0(x1 - 1 CVP)
Rifle Company B (2 squads - 4 CVP)

Russians [Lost 18 CVP]
Rifle Company A (2 squads - 4 CVP) + MMG(x1)
SMG Company A (3 squads - 4 CVP)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions

Special Units

State of the board at the end of Part 6

State of MAP control at the end of Part 6 [Colourized]

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 31, 2019

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So the Russians are starting to slwo the advancing Nazis and there's a brawl on in the meatgrinder!

But wiht artillery! So even more of a meatgrinder.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Man, I wish I was able to follow this closely, but VASSAL video LPs are something that doesn't mesh well with most of my activities :/

Those militias are dropping like flies.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

So the Russians are starting to slwo the advancing Nazis and there's a brawl on in the meatgrinder!

But wiht artillery! So even more of a meatgrinder.

Just wait until even more men start showing up, and when the map size doubles because the 2nd part of the campaign activates! :ork101:

JcDent posted:

Man, I wish I was able to follow this closely, but VASSAL video LPs are something that doesn't mesh well with most of my activities :/

Those militias are dropping like flies.

If it makes you feel any better, once I'm done with the backlog and switch over to Twitch it'll probably be easier to follow with my running commentaries of "damnit, another boxcars?!"

And yeah those militiamen are there solely to fill in gaps and be a speedbump. Makes me wonder if there was ever a diary, short or not, about one of the factory workers who then found himself on the frontlines, all within Stalingrad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCbXYT_pRKk
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 7

The story so far:

The Germans lose a heavy weapons crew through attrition, before another round of attacks is brought to bear against the Soviets. This is followed up with a failed attempt at placing a demolition charge on a fortified building, as well as plenty of other movement in order to gain ground. Notably, the berserk'ed half squad manages to finish its charge across the streets and finds themselves in a position to immediately fire upon some broken men; it will not be the last of these reckless actions, from either side. Movement in the west is stalled by a pair of powerful attacks from a lone squad, ending all movement and protecting some friendly units from elimination, all in one go! The turn ends with a casualty in close combat fighting, while another rages on for at least one more turn.

Losses
Germans [Lost 19 CVP]

Russians [Lost 26 CVP]
Rifle Company A (3 squads - 6 CVP) + MMG(x1)
SMG Company A (3 squads - 6 CVP)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 7 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units

State of the board at the end of Part 7

State of MAP control at the end of Part 7 [Colourized]

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And yeah those militiamen are there solely to fill in gaps and be a speedbump. Makes me wonder if there was ever a diary, short or not, about one of the factory workers who then found himself on the frontlines, all within Stalingrad.

Personally my favorite story is the 1077th Anti-aircraft Regiment, which was almost entirely young woman who had only recently graduated from High School. They dropped their AA guns to the lowest height and fought the 16th Panzer division by themselves until they were almost all overrun and killed at their guns.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc9nTrnJ1TI
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 8

The story so far:

As the turn switches over to the Russians, the Germans are immediately pushed away from the stone rubble hex in J5, the now-dm'ed Half Squad being forced to rout later on. Some less than stellar rolls, and a bad LOS attack on my part, mean that the Russian heavy machine guns provide little to no support. An attempted maneuver to encircle a broken squad goes awry, as well as a move into open ground which does more than simply casualty reduce a squad. Through a series of attacks, the Half Squad guarding the reinforced building in I6 breaks, forcing a change in strategy by the Russians. Will they surrender the location, or send troops through a hail of bullets for the now-important location? All while close combat continues , and more begin!

Losses
Germans [Lost 21 CVP]
Sturm Company A (2 squad - 4 CVP)

Russians [Lost 32 CVP]
Militia Company A (6 squads - 12 CVP) + LMG(x1) + ATR(x1)
Militia Company B (2 squad - 4 CVP) + MTR(x1)
Rifle Company A (4 squads - 8 CVP) + MMG(x1)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 7 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units
Unnamed Russian Hero

State of the board at the end of Part 8

State of MAP control at the end of Part 8 [Colourized]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytOY0NZurs4
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 9

The story so far:

German artillery continues to fall on Russian positions, but the results prove to be less than desirable for the attackers. Tons of ammunition is expended in an attempt to suppress any defenders, but, in due part to the highly favorable terrain for the defenders, the Axis troops continue to have a hard time gaining any ground. Notably, several German squads are beaten back as they attempt to rush into the fortified building in hex grid I6. All the while, tanks cautiously creep up to support the infantry in any way they can, yet it is still not enough to overcome the Bolsheviks. A poorly placed demolition charge fails to dislodge the Russian defenders in C11. Despite all this, the Russians are forced to cede ground when broken units rout away from objective locations, and the Germans greedily advance forward.

Losses
Germans [Lost 21 CVP]

Russians [Lost 32 CVP]
Militia Company A (6 squads - 12 CVP) + LMG(x1) + ATR(x1)
Militia Company B (2 squad - 4 CVP) + MTR(x1)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 9 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units
Unnamed Russian Hero

State of the board at the end of Part 9

State of MAP control at the end of Part 9 [Colourized]

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So theoretically the Germans are winning this fight at heavy losses (well at the batallion level) as they go forwards?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
At the moment, the Germans are still gaining ground, but don't yet have enough to win the scenario. I believe we'll see the unexpected end of game mechanic come into play in the next video, based on a die roll at the end of the Russian sides turn, starting on game turn 5.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKPOtOHZesQ
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 10

The story so far:

A German mortar can't be repaired and has to be discarded, while the Russians manage to clear their jammed Heavy Machine Gun, but it doesn't do all that much. More fire is sent towards German squads making their way to I6, as well as the small foothold the krauts have in C11, but the results are left to be desired. A Russian squad comes under fire in I6 while transitioning between floors and breaks, thanks to some lucky dice, which in turn forces the Russians to send yet another squad into the building to prevent its fall. Otherwise, movement is kept to a smaller portion of the map, as any advances would surely place the Russians under more fire, and the risk is simply not worth it. As movement starts to die down, a Panzer III gets a hit on the Russians holed up in I8 that devastates the entire group. Rumour has it that they must have gotten a perfect shot, with the resulting blast killing a squad leader as he was giving orders to some conscripts. It also claimed the squad of conscripts, as well as a unlucky half squad in the adjacent room. What was once a strong point for defense had suddenly been reduced to a pile of corpses, and the handful of survivors. A 1st line squad on the western side of the frontline perished during return fire from a pair of German squads. The Russians reinforce an on-going close quarters combat, but a stalemate in the debris continues. [The Germans get at least 3 snake eyes this turn]

Losses
Germans [Lost 21 CVP]
Rifle Company B (3 squads - 6 CVP) + MTR(x1)

Russians [Lost 40 CVP]
Militia Company A (8 squads - 14 CVP) + 8-1(x1 - 2 CVP) + LMG(x1) + ATR(x1)
Militia Company B (2 squads - 4 CVP) + MTR(x1)
Rifle Company B (1 squad - 2 CVP)
SMG Company A (4 squads - 8 CVP)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 9 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units
Petachiok [Russian Leader] 9-2
Unnamed Russian Hero

State of the board at the end of Part 10

State of MAP control at the end of Part 10 [Colourized]

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Messy round and lucky for the Germans to taking out that strongpoint. The meatgrinder goes on

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17th, 1942
Day 1, Part 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nyMtreKZEI
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 11

The story so far:

A sudden gust of wind occurs, but the effects are minimal thanks to a low amount of smoke being active around the the map. More artillery falls on Russian positions, but no damage is noted from the German side. As the Hitlerites prepare to move, fire rains down on several positions, breaking the morale of several Russian squads. Taking a huge risk, a German officer authorizes the men to shoot into the melee in E10, breaking the Russians, while only forcing the Germans to hunker down. Several German squads advance, but the western side sees another setback when several moves into the building at B11 breaks under intense pressure from the adjacent building. Yet another squad is gunned down in the streets along the D hexline. Soon after, a second squad is wiped out while attempting to make their way into the I6 building. After all is said and done, a pair of squads infiltrate the fortified location in I6, and the melee in E10 comes to a bloody end.

Losses
Germans [Lost 27 CVP]
Rifle Company B (4 squads - 8 CVP) + MTR(x1)
Sturm Company A (3 squads - 6 CVP)

Russians [Lost 48 CVP]
SMG Company A (4 squads - 8 CVP)
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 11 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units
Unnamed Russian Hero

State of the board at the end of Part 11

State of MAP control at the end of Part 11 [Colourized]

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Interesting. Gamble that seems to have (mostly) paid off? Advance along the line with some casualties (which is always a risk) but that advances the objectives some and hits the defenders. Still a bloody nose for the losses (multiple squads tkaen out or rendered combat ineffective).

So overall did it generally pay off as far as you might call it tactically for the Germans and thier objectives? And so far by the standards of the scenario is the Axis winning as far as things go when one looks at objectives taken, casualties for both sides, and how effectively the Soviets are still in a position to resist if you had to broadly give an estimate?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

Interesting. Gamble that seems to have (mostly) paid off? Advance along the line with some casualties (which is always a risk) but that advances the objectives some and hits the defenders. Still a bloody nose for the losses (multiple squads tkaen out or rendered combat ineffective).

So overall did it generally pay off as far as you might call it tactically for the Germans and thier objectives? And so far by the standards of the scenario is the Axis winning as far as things go when one looks at objectives taken, casualties for both sides, and how effectively the Soviets are still in a position to resist if you had to broadly give an estimate?

Its pretty hard for me to analyze the situation to a lot of depth if only because playing as both sides limits stuff like hidden units or certain defenses (mainly mines/minefields).

At the moment, the gamble appears to have paid off. Any momentum the Germans can generate should help close the gap for the required objectives, and as long as they don't overextend themselves, they should be able to hold the ground they capture. At this rate, though, it will go down to the wire.

The biggest issue the Germans have is that, thanks to my poor decisions at the initial deployment, I can't make any good use of my on-map mortars, so I can't smoke any hexes to provide cover for advancing units. As for the Soviets, they don't have a lot of good units, due mostly because I chose to buy militia units. They are only available for purchase during the month of October, so I front-loaded them into the OoB.

If the Soviets roll the right number at the end of their turn, the day ends, which would be a loss for the Germans as it stands currently.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Day 1, Part 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMVKJAJmYmA
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 12

The story so far:

Almost every rally fails this turn, and one Russian squad even suffers a casualty reduction in the process. Desperation starts to set in for the Russians, but fortune favors the bold on occasion. A pair of attacks strike the German troops well enough to break their morale, and a lucky shot kills a leader. Sadly, however, the Russians are so depleted that they can't make any effective use of reduced return fire. Artillery continues to rain down, injuring the unnamed Russian hero and breaking his accompanying squad. Axis tanks continue to pour fire into the houses in and around H9, to no avail. Return fire claims a number of broken squads but nothing else of note happens.

Losses
Germans [Lost 29 CVP]
Sturm Company A (3 squads - 6 CVP) +9-1(1x - 2 CVP)

Russians [Lost 50 CVP]
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 11 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units
Unnamed Russian Hero

State of the board at the end of Part 12

State of MAP control at the end of Part 12 [Colourized]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Day 1, Part 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwYWCVjt24Q
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 13

The story so far:

Artillery falls in the area of M6, and breaks a Russian conscript squad, and they suffer disruption afterwards too! A lucky shot frees up a little space on the western flank, but the lack of rallied troops on the German side should prevent a breakthrough there. A firegroup sends as much lead as they have towards the 9-2 Leader in H8, but he and his compatriots aren't the least bit shaken from this. However, a second German firegroup fires at them from a different side and catches the squad unawares, breaking them in the process. If that wasn't bad enough, the Leader became pinned down as well. Mortars begin to open fire, and a critical hit is scored on Soviet MMG in P6, eliminating the squad. Back to the western flank, a bold move by the Germans sees them move up a MMG into a good defensive position, and a Sturm Coy running into the building complex at C13. Not everything goes smoothly for the Germans, as some squads are either pinned down or broken as they attempt to secure more locations.

Losses
Germans [Lost 29 CVP]

Russians [Lost 50 CVP]
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 16 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units
Unnamed Russian Hero

State of the board at the end of Part 13

State of MAP control at the end of Part 13 [Colourized]

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So the name of the game for the Germans now is to consolidate their positions and dig in against counterattack? Or if they can press on to try and take more to deny the Soviets future defensive positions?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

So the name of the game for the Germans now is to consolidate their positions and dig in against counterattack? Or if they can press on to try and take more to deny the Soviets future defensive positions?

A bit of both, to be honest. As the Germans, I definitely want to push that Western flank, in the hopes of eliminating the Leader and a handful of squads. I've also got some very good defensive ground with the stone rubble locations, seeing as they retain the +3 Terrain Effect Modifier, and the plan will be to use them as jumping off points. Of note, the house in I12 is going to be a focal point, considering all of the half-level debris around it killing line of sight on the ground level. Meanwhile, I'll want to force out the Soviets in the L5/M6/N5 building to make it easier to attack the factory next door.

The Soviets, on the other hand, will definitely need to shore up defenses in a number of locations, but also will want to start looking into sewer movement and attacks behind enemy lines. If anything, the increased presence of manholes as the Germans push into the city will force them to place units in rearguard positions rather than focusing them all on the frontlines.

It will come down to how many purchase points each side gets as well, which is based off of performance, luck, and a modifier that attempts to imitate the real life timeline's ebb and flow of the campaign, with regards to reinforcements and available manpower.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Cool, appreciate how you're running this. Following this sort of tactical game is really hard in person (watched a couple of them at one of the old RPG clubs) so nice to get to see how it goes in the videos and how you talk through and explain what's going on. Also really appreciate the historical bits you're filling in on

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

Cool, appreciate how you're running this. Following this sort of tactical game is really hard in person (watched a couple of them at one of the old RPG clubs) so nice to get to see how it goes in the videos and how you talk through and explain what's going on. Also really appreciate the historical bits you're filling in on

Thanks man :).

And I definitely agree that following the game in person can be very tough, especially since there are thousands of scenarios, with a good portion of them having complex win conditions that, if not known or explained, makes it tough to try to discern why someone is acting the way they are. General lack of rules knowledge also won't help, haha.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Day 1, Part 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KFCRYgo-sc
October 17th, 1942 - Day 1, Part 14

The story so far:

Several squads recomposed themselves and get back into the fight. Alas, the Germans are still having issues recovering the large group of men on the Western side. As fire starts to pour out and into German positions, it becomes clear that the Soviets are desperately trying to break or dislodge as many German squads as possible, in order to prepare for movement or advances later on. [If they can reduce their number of controlled locations, the Soviets may end up with a win.] Sadly, the lack of firepower, as well as a lack of strong squads up front forces at least several Leaders, and accompanying squads, to seek shelter outside of line of sight of the enemy. After all, Leaders have no firepower and its always a good idea to save them. Of note is the 9-2 Leader who begun to retreat away from H8 only to be shot at by the German tank nearby. Despite the impressive accuracy on display, the Leaders ability to stay composed, and in cover, was enough to ensure he escaped unscathed. In all the commotion, a Soviet half-squad surrenders to a German squad. [I should have done this last turn, as per Disruption surrender rules.]

Losses
Germans [Lost 29 CVP]

Russians [Lost 50 CVP]
AT Gun Crew(x1 - 2 CVP)

Victory Conditions
Germans control 16 of 15 Stone Locations required to win.

Special Units
Unnamed Russian Hero

State of the board at the end of Part 14

State of MAP control at the end of Part 14 [Colourized]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And that concludes Day 1 of Red Factories for Advanced Squad Leader, not counting the refit phase that includes purchases and deployments.

Speaking of which, I have a Strawpoll up for people if they would prefer I start the semi-regular livestreams of this Let's Play with the 1st Day's refit phase, or simply going ahead with Day 2 of the campaign.

The poll can be found here: https://strawpoll.com/ey82ksw4