Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So basically here the Russians want to make this a slog via attrition to make the Germans bleed while the next line of defense is getting setup, rinse, lather, repeat block by block.

Meatgrinder. What rough scale is this battle at? Batallion? Company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So the Russians are starting to slwo the advancing Nazis and there's a brawl on in the meatgrinder!

But wiht artillery! So even more of a meatgrinder.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So theoretically the Germans are winning this fight at heavy losses (well at the batallion level) as they go forwards?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Messy round and lucky for the Germans to taking out that strongpoint. The meatgrinder goes on

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Interesting. Gamble that seems to have (mostly) paid off? Advance along the line with some casualties (which is always a risk) but that advances the objectives some and hits the defenders. Still a bloody nose for the losses (multiple squads tkaen out or rendered combat ineffective).

So overall did it generally pay off as far as you might call it tactically for the Germans and thier objectives? And so far by the standards of the scenario is the Axis winning as far as things go when one looks at objectives taken, casualties for both sides, and how effectively the Soviets are still in a position to resist if you had to broadly give an estimate?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So the name of the game for the Germans now is to consolidate their positions and dig in against counterattack? Or if they can press on to try and take more to deny the Soviets future defensive positions?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Cool, appreciate how you're running this. Following this sort of tactical game is really hard in person (watched a couple of them at one of the old RPG clubs) so nice to get to see how it goes in the videos and how you talk through and explain what's going on. Also really appreciate the historical bits you're filling in on

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So at this point the Soviets are going to basically dig in for the evening, maybe withdraw to better defensive positions (presuming the Commisars don't shoot them) and get ready for the Axis counterattack tomorrow and hope to find some places they can counterattack themselves?

And the Axis is probably to reposition some fo their men on the far side to make a better line, fortify the good los zones and bunkers they hvae, and on the morrow push or try and grind down the Soviets more?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looking forwards to it! Hpoing to see how it works.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Guh I forgot the stream was today! Sorry! I should hae logged into SA earlier or set a reminder.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I can see what you said abou the refit phase being extensive.. Three hours to record? Wow.

And this game is complex. Fun to watch. And thank you for explaining it as you go on. Have it playing up in the background and looking forwards to the next phase of the campaign and digging in.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 16, 2019

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Won't be able to make it but looking forwards to watching it up on Youtube!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I have no idea what is going on, merely that it is a glorious abomination of an assault. Which is..

Honestly probably completely legitimate given infantry battles in Stalingrad.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good playing! Looks like the Krauts got a bloody nose and were driven back.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So it will bleed Red in the streets?

... That pun sounded better in my head than it did in the text.

Well played!

*goes to queue up to watch*

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I was starting to see red with how the soviets were getting diced!

Comrade RNG is obviously being eyed for being sent to the gulags in Siberia and will be replaced with a new dice that is a more fair and even member of the proletariat!

Also really like how this game shows the.. Trickiness and danger of urban combat. Having to clear room by room is insanely complicated - and Stalingrad was among the most dangerous fo all. I'm amazed you can play through all this so coherently and also make general tactis while going house by house.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 12, 2019

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice! Going to watch. ANd is it okay to generally provide a quick summary of how things went at the end to track things? And yay playing! The Germans will pay block by block, rock by rock.

And I am in awe that you can play this game for four hours at a time while explaning things and not run out of steam. You are insane.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 23, 2019

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So the Soviets seemed to inflict more casualties on the Germans this round! Nice. Looks like they got pushed back in a somewhat rougher position though for it. But hopefully they can hunker down and make the Germans bleed until their comrades arrive!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The glorious comrades slow and grind the fascist dogs! well played and particularly amazing! Thanks much for running. having a great time watching/reading summaries, even thought I have little idea waht's going on. You're awesome for putting so much detail and effort and explanation into this.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The slow advance of the Axis is blunted by heroic Soviet counterresistance! It looks like the German advance is starting to run out of steam, at least a bit.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
... Ow. That's some messy late turn stuff for the Soviets. They need more commisars!

The loss of those tanks hurt. Well, a litlte!

Hopefully they can bring up reinforcements and dig in and hold off the fascists a bit more.

But, unlucky.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looks like the Soviets Strike Back!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice! Looks like urban warfare is slowing down the Nazis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
This is a nuts firefight. The Soviets are slowly bleeding the Axis down! Got caught up in this, great playing.