Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut

for years, hell for pairs of years, scientists who have gone to "universities" have forever been mystified as to the purposes of brain cortical folding, also referred to gyrofication (named after the structural similarities between the human brain and the folding of sliced meat and pita bread in the gyro greek sandwich pictured below):

Did i trick you? Because that is actually a picture of a gyro greek sandwich positioned as if it were a brain.

There is also a name for the inward folds of the cortex in humans, called sulkification, named because we mentally drive the bad sulking feelings of humans deep into these folds where they are tougher to see when people look at our brains

Interestingly, some mammals like rats have no brain folding, presumably because they do not understand greek culture or sulk, whereas others like dolphins and elephants, have many more, owing to their bigger stomachs i guess.

today we will settle this neuroscience mystery by telling the scientific community our theories on why the brain is wrinkly i will forward ur theories to joe rogan and elon musck and neil degrass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

i myself am a proponent that the folds help catch both pita bread crumbs and offer "flavour pockets" as first posited by guy fieri where his Carolina #6 Mop and Slop barbecue sauce will pool

nut

I am also doing some preliminary work for a grant application to posit that the brain evolved wrinkles for the textural advantages of selling stress balls shaped like brains, which would be wildly less interesting to hold if smooth

Addamere

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
brain wrinkles exist to serve as sound dampening for the cracking and pinging that goes on in every normal brain all the time in response to ideas and thoughts bouncing around inside the skull,

most people cannot hear the cracks or the pings because they have so many brain wrinkles that the noise is almost entirely absorbed but some people have very smooth brains and its like pinball

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Finger Prince

There's some connection with prepackaged udon noodles, but I'm not a brain scientist so I don't know what it is.

Addamere

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can trust my crack-ping hypothesis, it comes straight from the diligent folks at the Centre for Scientific Posting About Minds

----------------

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Taking deep breaths and holding them in so as to inflate my brain like a bloated sack to get rid of those wrinkles

Goons Are Gifts

Splatmaster posted:

Taking deep breaths and holding them in so as to inflate my brain like a bloated sack to get rid of those wrinkles

The brain is a muscle it, use it or lose it

nut

at wrinklecon, i saw a keynote that said the wrinkles don't actually exist but are a creative liberty taken by brain artists because they got tired of their moms thinking they were making patreon money drawing cartoon butts

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Crenelations in my cranium making me insane,
Seeing all these pictures of cerebellums is pain,
Please don't mistake my words as disdain-
Words are merely constructs from deep inside my brain!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

bee eater posted:

Interestingly, some mammals like rats have no brain folding, presumably because they do not understand greek culture or sulk, whereas others like dolphins and elephants, have many more, owing to their bigger stomachs i guess.

today we will settle this neuroscience mystery by telling the scientific community our theories on why the brain is wrinkly i will forward ur theories to joe rogan and elon musck and neil degrass

uh gently caress you rats brains are foldy as poo poo motherfucker how dare you this is science we do not throw about wild accusations like this.
refute!
i refute!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

uh gently caress you rats brains are foldy as poo poo motherfucker how dare you this is science we do not throw about wild accusations like this.
refute!
i refute!

guys i am trying to be reasonable but this is SCIENCE not the loving seminary gently caress

nut

i store all my lies about rats in the folds of my brain

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
OP i'll let you in on a secret. some brains are smooth because they've been picked out by the Ultraterrestrials to serve as bowling balls for the UBL (ultraterrestrial bowling league). This is serious science!!! I try to post my theories but I've been called a smoothie conspiracy theorist and laughed out of most academic conferences. yyou can read about the TRUTH in my self-published novel. It's on the kindle marketplace. thanks and god bless.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Bonaventure

by sebmojo
other reasons your brain may be smooth:

1. it was eaten by the psychic sasquatch from 1972's Horror Express, starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee and featuring Telly Savalas as 'Captain Kazan'

----------------

nut

just finished some experiments int he women's section of the jc penny and if my reasoning is correct the cerebral cortex is not a layer of neural tissue but instead a layer of melted monterey jack/mild cheddar mix that is used to hold all of the individual nachos comprising the brain proper into 1 connected whole

nut

if u need to know more please dm me at my lab at harvardi

joke_explainer

Inject a little botox all throughout the surface of the brain to clear up those unsightly brain wrinkles.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Bonaventure posted:

other reasons your brain may be smooth:

1. it was eaten by the psychic sasquatch from 1972's Horror Express, starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee and featuring Telly Savalas as 'Captain Kazan'

I remember that movie...

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

google THIS

My brain, an idiot: I have wrinkles all over me so I can have more surface area for more brain stuff.

Me, an intellectual: Why not just put that stuff...on the inside?

Brain: :aaaaa:

Heather Papps

hello friend

my brain doesn't have wrinkles but it moisturizes and keeps out of the sun so i think it helps

Addamere

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My brain was starting to get a little bit wrinkly so I got rid of it and went and got new one, the ex brains is mad at me but it's not my fault I like the things I like

Goons Are Gifts

google THIS posted:

My brain, an idiot: I have wrinkles all over me so I can have more surface area for more brain stuff.

Me, an intellectual: Why not just put that stuff...on the inside?

Brain: :aaaaa:

Manifisto

my raisin brain is what makes me so sweet

"sweet" being a euphemism for "childlike, but not in a charming magical way"

ty nesamdoom!

Finger Prince

A raisin is a smooth grape that dried out, but when you stay in water too long you get wrinkly. Which is brain? Too dry or too wet?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Finger Prince posted:

A raisin is a smooth grape that dried out, but when you stay in water too long you get wrinkly. Which is brain? Too dry or too wet?

my brain is wrinkling trying to figure this out.

both?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD

Addamere posted:

brain wrinkles exist to serve as sound dampening for the cracking and pinging that goes on in every normal brain all the time in response to ideas and thoughts bouncing around inside the skull,

most people cannot hear the cracks or the pings because they have so many brain wrinkles that the noise is almost entirely absorbed but some people have very smooth brains and its like pinball

this all sounds...absolutely correct

Ayatollah Hermione

by Cyrano4747
taking out my own brain to gauge how wrinkled it is

'woah, disappointing'

----------------

Escape From Noise

My brain is crying out for his gyro brethren! When will that Egyptian place nearby be open on my day off???

Lux Anima

PRO-TIP: this product was not originally designed for use as a nasal spray, but it'll still work wonders on your wrinkle problems!

Lux Anima

Pictured:
A caboodle of brain slugs

(note the wrinkles on the slugs)

Escape From Noise

Attaching a syringe to the coin-op vac at the carwash so I can really get deep into those wrinkles and clean out those bad sulking feelings. Don't worry. I brought some sanitary wipes and cleaned the inside of the the end of the hose really well!;)

Twenty Four

just get some sand paper problem solved

nut

I-I'm being told they are called wrankles

Escape From Noise

Been callin' them "brainkles" this entire time like a goddamn idiot! :doh:

Heather Papps

hello friend

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Been callin' them "brainkles" this entire time like a goddamn idiot! :doh:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Can I just say that smooth brains look really weird? I guess I just associate wrinkles with brains which is a prejudice on my part.

Bonaventure

by sebmojo

Splatmaster posted:

I remember that movie...

IT'S A GOOD MOVIE!!!

----------------

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's so you can iron them out, it feels REAAAAAAAALY good when you do

sig by owlhawk911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Finger Prince posted:

it's wet, the wrinkles help maintain grip so your brain doesn't fly out when you sneeze