Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Wild Arms Zero Divider is an unofficial indie TRPG based off the Wild Arms franchise. It offers a unique role playing experience that evokes the Wild Arms games, with a system original and interesting enough to attract TRPG fans who may not be aware of the world of Wild Arms.

Some of its unique features include:
+ A hex-based battle system, derived from the latter games in the series
+ 18 character classes
+ A random dungeon generation system, including a system for Tools that can be used to solve traps in the dungeons, just like in the games
+ Integration of several unique systems from the games, such as the Force Ability system
+ Loads of details about the game world, which is the same as the world from the video games but with the serial numbers filed off
+ Beautiful, original art (that top image is the cover, done by the author)
+ Much much more!

Oh and of course there's also
+ A supplement for turning the game into a Symphogear TRPG!

This system is currently being sold on the Japanese indie digital distribution site DLsite for about 1600 yen (~$15). The main rulebook clocks in at 178 pages.

The author recently updated the whole system, so it's on it's 2nd edition as of this year's summer comic market in Japan. I saw him advertising it on Twitter and reached out to him about the possibility of an English localization. He's interested, but obviously we haven't hashed out any details yet.

I want to translate this game and make the English version PDF available on the English DLsite, where it can be purchased worldwide.

About Me
I'm a professional translator with about 5 years of experience. I've previously worked on the English version of the VN Little Busters, and I'm currently translating Satoshi Hase's Beatless for Tokyo Otaku Mode. I did a free translation of the indie TRPG Lost, which I posted on my own translation blog.

I'll be translating the text of Wild Arms Zero Divider

What I Need
I have confidence in my translating ability but not much else. I found out the hard way with the Lost translation that trying to figure out layouts and PDF creation and editing aren't really my strong suits. To pull this project off I'll probably need 2 other people to team up with me. Note that one person could possibly do both of these jobs if that's the way you want to work it.

1. Designer - Someone to handle the layout of the English version and creating the final PDF. Could also help out with editing.

2. Project Lead - Someone who has put together projects of this sort before and knows what they're doing. Specifically, I need someone to handle things like creating a contract, dealing with the distribution platform(s), organizing work in general, and (probably) taking care of finances. Oh and PR. We'll need someone good at getting the word out.

My role would be translation and all dealings with the original creator.

I've given my credentials, so I'll be expecting you to do so as well. I need a team I can trust to stick through this. Especially for the project lead. I need someone who has a history of getting things done and seeing them through.

Timing
I'm currently in the middle of translating Beatless so I won't be able to take on any projects until that's done. That'll probably be February of next year. By then I'd like to have everything in place to kick off this project, including the contract and exact details.

Concerns/Things we Need to Consider

1. Can we distribute anywhere besides DLsite?
Since this is an unofficial product based off a licensed property, I'm not sure if somewhere like Drive Thru RPG would take it. I can do some research into this and other venues, or the Project Lead could take care of that. If we could get it up on Drive Thru RPG we might even be able to figure out a print on demand sort of thing to sell physical copies. I dunno. That's something I'd like to figure out.

The licensing issue is also why I'm avoiding even thinking of a Kickstarter for this. I sincerely doubt whoever owns the rights would okay any of this.

2. Are we doing this for the love, or for money?
I used to be happy to volunteer my free time to translate for the love, but if we're talking about something someone is going to turn around and sell we should probably ask for a cut of the sales at least. This guy probably can't pay us anything up front, and I doubt he'd want to enter a deal where he had to, but we could probably ask for a % of the sales of the English version specifically. I'm not sure what a fair % would be though so that's something to discuss. Whatever we do make would be split evenly between the members of the team. I don't think we're going to get rich off of this, but it'll be nice to get something back for it (and I think this is going to sell pretty well, all things considered).

If we're doing it for the love we probably wouldn't need a contract, but I'm leaning more toward doing it for profit so we'll definitely need one.

And, much farther down the road:

3. Are we interested in continuing as a team?
I'd really like to get a team together that's interested in going beyond this one project. There is at least one other indie TRPG creator I'd want to work with after this is done. For that one, their games are all original indie stuff so it'd be much easier to do a much bigger project, possibly involving Kickstarter etc. I'm not ready to take on something that big at the moment, though, so for right now I'd like to start with something small and simple that I think will make a big splash.

So, that's the project.
If you're interested in helping out or joining the team, let me know here or hit me up on Discord (Getsuya#8541) or email: tsukiwouru at gmail.com. I'll probably get plat back eventually, at which point you can also PM me.

If you're interested in the game itself, it's available in Japanese here:
https://www.dlsite.com/home/work/=/product_id/RJ260520/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Actually let’s make it easier to get a hold of me. Here’s a Discord channel where we can discuss the project:
https://discord.gg/GetEbNx
(Link doesn’t expire)