Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

politicomama
Feb 12, 2016
I am a fundraiser. I have been in the field of advancement for about 10+ years. I currently work as a major gift officer for a university. Yes, I ask for $$ from students who just gave away 100k+ to their alma mater.

This field is generally new. You can make a lot of money, but the average time most people spend is only 3 years because of burn out.

I travel A LOT. If I have a lot of donor meetings, Im usually out on the road 3-4 days a week. I travel to florida a lot because there are lots of old rich people there.

There are a lot of fundraising positions at universities. It is a great way to get your education paid for (I'm currently getting my MBA for free).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What is the point of perpetual growth in a University system? Why do they have to raise more money every year? What does that accomplish on the ground?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Is there overlap with political fundraising? How much do those positions generally make and what's the difference?

politicomama
Feb 12, 2016

Pryor on Fire posted:

What is the point of perpetual growth in a University system? Why do they have to raise more money every year? What does that accomplish on the ground?

So, I work for a graduate medical school and we primarily raise money for scholarships so we can offer the best package to attract the best students. We also raise money for capital funds, but it is usually for scholarships. We also have a lot of medical companies come in and offer in-kind donations to students such as a learning lab.

politicomama
Feb 12, 2016

moana posted:

Is there overlap with political fundraising? How much do those positions generally make and what's the difference?

Yes, I used to be in political fundraising! I worked on different campaigns and also ran for office myself.

It all depends on the institution and also what your money goal is per year to determine what you make. So, if you have to raise 1,000,000 per year, you are usually bringing home about 90-110k per year.