Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Problem description:
I have 2x DDR4 8GB sticks of RAM and 4 DDR4 slots on the motherboard: DDR4_A1/A2 and DDR4_B1/B2. PC won't boot when I populate DDR4 slots DDR4_A1 or DDR4_A2 in any combination. It seems like it's stuck in reset, as the LEDs on the case fans (it's my son's computer we just built) pulse every second or two. BIOS doesn't seem to start up, and nothing displayed on the monitor. Motherboard manual says to run in dual channel mode, I either need to populate all 4 slots OR populate A2/B2. I guess dual channel will not work if the A1/B1 combination is used. It boots fine if both sticks are in the B-slots, but I want that dual channel goodness so my kid can watch dumbass Minecraft videos on Youtube faster.

I am guessing the A-slots are just bad on the board, but would just like confirmation before I return it.

Attempted fixes:
Removed all devices except RAM: Still remains in reset when DDR A-slots are populated.
Moving sticks of RAM around in different combinations: It will boot if I populate either of B1 or B2, or both. Putting either stick in an A-slot results in it never coming out of reset. BIOS/EFI will not even start up or post.
Running memtest86 on the sticks: Both sticks pass when populated in the B-slots, individually and both together in slots B1 & B2.
BIOS: Board actually came with the most current BIOS version, shockingly.

Recent changes:
We just built the PC, so.... everything.

--

Operating system:
Win10 Pro 64-bit

System specs:
CPU: i7-8086k
Board: ASRock H370M Pro4
BIOS/EFI: 4.1, up to date, as per ASRock website
RAM: 2x (dual channel kit) G. Skill 8GB PC4 21300 2666Mhz, 15-15-15-35
SSD: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 550 G3, 80 Plus Gold 550W
Graphics: Onboard HDMI for now

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Definitely sounds like a motherboard issue. Could be a bad board or a bent socket pin.

You'll have to remove the CPU and heatsink anyways when getting a replacement motherboard, so I would check and make sure there aren't any bent pins in the socket before going ahead with the return/RMA. If a pin connected to the A channel DIMM slots isn't making contact then that could produce the issues you're experiencing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, I checked the CPU pins and they didn't look bent. RAM slots look OK as well, so that's super odd. I guess I'll fire up the ol RMA process. Thanks!