Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

My cat gets fed 5 times a day (3x timed feeder; 2x wet food). I did this to try to help with the anxiety, but it didn't seem to help much. She will sit and stare at the automatic feeder for up to 2 hours, waiting for it to drop 10 bits of kibble. If I am sleeping within 2 hours of her wet feeding time, she will wake me up so I am prepared to feed her when the time comes.

I've tried the plug-ins and other various methods to no success. I'm trying to get her to relax regarding feeding. She was a pregnant, starving street cat when we rescued her.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Flowers for QAnon posted:

My cat gets fed 5 times a day (3x timed feeder; 2x wet food). I did this to try to help with the anxiety, but it didn't seem to help much. She will sit and stare at the automatic feeder for up to 2 hours, waiting for it to drop 10 bits of kibble. If I am sleeping within 2 hours of her wet feeding time, she will wake me up so I am prepared to feed her when the time comes.

I've tried the plug-ins and other various methods to no success. I'm trying to get her to relax regarding feeding. She was a pregnant, starving street cat when we rescued her.

Any ideas?

Your vet should be able to prescribe alprazolam or something else if needed. You can get it compounded into a liquid or a creme if she won't take it in pills. If she's waking you up with wet food, I guess switch entirely to dry with the timed feeder? Cats don't need wet food. Just make sure she has plenty of water bowls.

Maybe she needs more toys or more play time? Try some catnip. Maybe she's just bored and the food is her only outlet? I don't know, just reaching for the usual options, here.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

My own cat had been a street cat before the pound caught her and I adopted her. For the first few years I had her, she would devour any bug she could catch, which I attributed to her period of food insecurity. Nowadays, she'll play with bugs, but won't eat them. However, I just let mine free feed instead of rationing out the dry food. That may make a difference.

The wet food problem sounds like a case of "is a cat". The only real remedy is to give her the wet food at consistent times of day and to pick times when you'll have been awake for a while.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Thanks for the responses folks. I think transitioning the wet food time might be the only option (or alprazolam). I’ve tried free eating and she put on a ton of weight and would puke up food from over eating regularly. She gets about 45 min of play time daily, broken into 3 sessions and is pretty overt when she needs it, so I don’t think that’s an issue.

Anyone tried cbd?