Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
A Tale in the Desert 9

Game launches August 30, 10am PST. Scroll down to the second post for Gooncamp specific info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw2FlfMkWWQ

Do you like sandbox games? Do you enjoy problem solving? Do you think Egypt is cool? Are you looking for a break from PvP games or hoping to find a unique gaming experience?

A Tale in the Desert is a strange little MMO that focuses on crafting. You begin as a desert nomad with nothing except the ability to make a few items and harvest some natural resources. From that humble origin, a myriad of activities open up. You can brew beer, master cooking, practice acrobatics, learn glassblowing, farm vegetables, and keep livestock. Some players concentrate on mastering tricky skills like metalwork, while others pursue leadership, art, or architecture goals. It’s a sprawling sandbox game, so if something gets boring, there are dozens of other things to do instead.

Each time a new Tale begins, the world is wiped clean, the devs make a bunch of upgrades, and everyone starts over from scratch. Tale 9 will begin on August 30, which means it’s a good time to jump into the desert. This telling is slated to last 15 months, after which (presumably) we will begin anew in Tale 10.

The game has evolved a lot over the years. I’m particularly happy they’ve scrapped the levelling system, which forced me to do a bunch of tasks I wasn’t interested in to reach the ones I wanted. They’re also working to remove some of the grindiest elements of the game and reduce reliance on macros. I’ve been playing the T9 alpha enjoying the heck out of it.

Compared to most MMOs, Tale is a meditative experience. There’s no PvP and the goal is to cultivate the environment, rather than dominate it. No monsters lurk in the Nile. There are no dungeons to crawl. It’s a game of exploration, investigation and building. Trolls and griefers don’t last long because of the cooperative elements of the game. Unsurprisingly, the player-base skews towards the 30+ crowd, but you’ll find all ages represented.

If you played in earlier tales, consider coming back for this one. A lot of things have changed and the devs are actively listening to the playerbase.

Crazy poo poo This Game Has Done

* In one tale there was a plague. If you got sick, it could log you out of the game. (Dev: "Mistakes were made, but I stand by the idea.")
* There was an NPC who gave male characters great looking tools and insulted female characters. (His tools turned out to be garbage.)
* One player RPed as a sheep for so long that the devs made him into a sheep. He wanders the game with a smaller sheep who follows him around. You can shave him for an Achievement.

Starting Out

When you log into the game for the first time, you’ll find yourself on an island. In order to get from there to the rest of Egypt, you need to complete a series of simple tasks. You’re able to gather wood, slate, sand, mud, and grass--all of which you’ll need to build a wood plane (boards), brick racks (bricks), a flax comb (tow and lint), distaff (twine). You’re also going to learn the basics of growing flax and build a cart to transport your items to the mainland. At that point, you’ll need to pick a faction.

Factions are a relatively new inclusion to the game. Control of regions confers benefits on the corresponding faction, so there will probably be a lot of contested areas outside of the core zones that don’t change hands. The three options are Meshwesh, Kush, and Hyksos. Although it is possible to switch factions later in the game, it’s very difficult. I picked Hyksos because it’s the most populated faction. (Update: Defected to Meshwesh.)

From there, it’s up to you. You’ll probably want to carve out a piece of land for yourself and build a compound. Maybe you’ll jump straight into a cooperative guild, or spend your time wandering the wilderness in search of resources like herbs or wild livestock. Guilds exist for almost every niche (language, interests, cooperation, friendships etc) and you can join as many as you like.

If you’d like to connect with us, type “/chat Coyote” or “/chat Erev” in the chat bar to open a channel. Pick Meshwesh when you make your way off Welcome Island. Gooncamp will be in Herakleopolis at 1000 5300.

Beta is free to play. When the game goes live, your first 24 hours of played time are free. After that, you need to pick a subscription package. Note that longer ones come with perks.

Resources

* Official Discord: https://discord.gg/mcm5WkS
* Archived Tale 8 Thread.
* Talents and Perks.
* Angler’s Apprentice (Fishing Tool)
* Tale 8 Wikipedia (Sections will be obsolete.)
* Things that are new in T9.
* Maps
* Lots more to come.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Gooncamp business will go here. Type "/chat Coyote" or "/chat Erev" for orientation help.

Keep an eye on the guild wiki page for current information on our collaborative projects. In game, type "/info Coyote" for useful links and coordinates.

Update: Moving to Herak Hercal Herkapo Herapolis the region directly north of Hermopolis for live.

Maps

Herakleopolis is located about halfway between Meshwesh Delta (city of Tanis) and Asyut (city of Avaris.) Select Meshwesh when you leave newbie island and follow the Nile south. New characters can teleport to friends, so check if someone is in camp first. Coordinates are approximately 1000 5300.

Upsides:
* Near the Nile (good for growing papyrus)
* surrounded by regions that are eligible for bonuses
* nearby expedition site, which functions as a bit like a teleporter, so we're not cut off from the chariot routes
* decent tree coverage and natural resources
* surrounded by lakes
* away from other groups, so no need to fight for land
* less vulnerable to pollution from neighbouring camps

Downside:
* long walk to Meshwesh Delta schools until you get Expedition Travel (easily attainable in the first few days of play)
* we'll be cut off from our Faction-chat until we claim the region (also attainable in the first few days.)

Tips:

* you only need to grow one patch of flax to get off newbie island. After you process it in a flax comb, the game will hand you enough rotten flax to finish the rest of the tutorial
* type /chat name to open up a conversation tab with any player, even if they're offline at the time
* new characters can teleport to players (right click on yourself to find the menu.) If you jump from newbie island to somewhere inconvenient like East Sinai, ask in Faction Chat to see if anyone is near Tanis to get a free trip there. (Note that there are a lot of items you cannot teleport while carrying)
* while you are in Tanis or near the Great Hall, go into the navigation menu and set it as your "Home."
* if you go past the Great Hall (directly south of Tanis) check to see if you can pick up a token--we'll need them to claim territory
* our play-style is going to be semi-communistic--have your own compound and belongings, but contribute to shared projects and goals
* we are also happy to have players who join us socially while playing in other guilds
* some guild members aren't goons (hey, we warned them.)
* no griefing other players--we are The Affable Evil

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 8, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
neat! I might check this out

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
While there isn't traditional PvP there is a fair bit of competition to pass the various Tests of Egypt which usually give you some sort of reward be it better stats or the ability to build things to show off with. Egypt is now broken into three factions as well with each faction vying to bribe the universities found in different regions to come and work for them. This can allow easier/more tech if you own them but if you lose one then the other factions can now learn the techs you had there (though they still need to research them to progress).

Macroing the shittier parts of the game is allowable so long as you are at your keyboard. There's been a UI redesign so the best macros might need a little bit of time to catch up. Usually this has to do with growing flax and sometimes veggies - though our region gets a stupidly awesome veggie growing bonus so long as it doesn't change before launch.

I personally focus a lot on the architecture tests which include things like building aqueducts and obelisks. I also do some worship and body tests either for the perks or just as targets of opportunity. I have also run a number of public works-style camps over the years which allows anyone to come up and use equipment they might not otherwise have.

The game is weird and good though and the community awesome. Burnout can be a serious problem though so don't throw yourself into it too hard. Lots of the annoying stuff becomes automated (bricks) or gets stupidly increased yields later on (flax again).

Oh, right. You can crossbreed plants and poo poo. Flax for instance starts out giving stupidly small yields but later on it can give you a large mix of normal flax and rotten flax (which is needed for most things and takes out a step). You can also crossbreed flowers to look cool and grapes for wine.

Open beta is free. Just do it.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'm downloading now to check it out, but is it worth 11.95 a month subscription? It high enough that if it wasn't the beta I wouldn't even considering trying the game.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
How much creative freedom does one have with the sculptures within this game? I want to make a bunch of statues that at first glance look like abstract art, but if you look at them all from precisely the right angle, they form a glorious dickbutt.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Its a good but niche game with active development by a small team. It is also something very different from most games.

There is a lot of freedom when making sculptures in the game but thsre are also often eyesore laws that can allow sculptures rated low enough to be torn down.

There's an in game legal system you can mess around with and propose laws that will be coded in if they pass. (I think - there used to be at least.)

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Lord Windy posted:

I'm downloading now to check it out, but is it worth 11.95 a month subscription? It high enough that if it wasn't the beta I wouldn't even considering trying the game.

It is for me, though I coughed up for a full-run subscription this time around. I love sandbox games and being able to build my own little niche in a vast world. It is, however, not for everyone.

e: Beta is running late to start.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 26, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I guess it's time to get my flax on. ign Freakazoid

edit: I got dumped in koptos instead of avaris, gonna wait until a goon is online so I can teleport to them.

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 17, 2019

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I guess it's time to get my flax on. ign Freakazoid

edit: I got dumped in koptos instead of avaris, gonna wait until a goon is online so I can teleport to them.

Did Coyote get you? If not I'll be on for a few hours more.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Man. I remember the first Telling, back when the Lumboards were still a going thing. Never got into it myself, but I'm always glad to see these threads pop up. ATITD is a strange beast, but it's good to see it's still going.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
This is a really odd game. I haven't really found one like it. It's pretty Zen I guess. Like a slow cookie clicker.

laceratedsky
Aug 29, 2007

I am so in for this. Thinking about subbing for Full Tale for the first time ever.

IGN: laceratedsky

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remember being interested in this years and years ago but I never started for whatever reason.

But it sounds like something that is extremely my poo poo so I'm gonna give it a shot.

IGN: Sterling

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

We're rolling pretty slow because it's only beta and Erev and I have already done two rounds of alpha testing.The early game is a bit monotonous on the third go, and I'm saving my grinding powers for Live on the 30th.

I'll still be mucking around intermittently if anyone wants some orientation, but we're not boot-strapping a full set of equipment up from the ground yet. Fortunately, there are lots of public works already running, and four of us have compounds in Hermopolis.

Right now, we're Hyksos but there's a good chance we'll go Meshwesh in Live because the guy who runs Hyksos is kind of crazy.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Pixelante posted:

....the guy who runs Hyksos is kind of crazy.

A kind way of putting it. Hyksos will have the population advantage forever but if we can get a consistant token trade with Kush... maybe we can do some damage.

I was offline today cause life but I'll add you folks tomorrow when I get on after work! I enjoy the early Telling so I'll be around a fair bit.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

The guy who runs Hyksos is a wee bit obsessed with the Faction sub-game (which you can completely ignore if you chose to) and has made it clear that his long-term plans involve letting Hermopolis fall to the Meshwesh. We could keep our spot regardless of which Faction we're in, but we're more likely to get bonuses if we swing to the Meshwesh, since Hyksos won't be fighting for our area.

Incidentally, you can belong to any Faction and still join our group. You can also change Factions later in the game if the leaders permit you to join them. The only downside to living outside of your Faction's territory is not getting bonuses. The type of bonus will randomly change each week, so most of the time you're probably going to be travelling anyway to pick up the right kind of bonus.

Here's the map of T8 so you can see how things landed at the end of that Tale.

Hyksos will probably get at least 50%+ of the overall population, Meshwesh gets about 30% and Kush seems to get the rest.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 19, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
So it's basically Egyptian Second Life?

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Resting Lich Face posted:

So it's basically Egyptian Second Life?

Not really. It's more a combination of social engineering, resource grinding, and finding innovative-yet-polite ways to be a dick to others than it is an ERP cash shop.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I played a bit more today. So far I'm enjoying it. I don't know how much I'll play during the beta because I like to leave the poopsocking for when it matters but the crafting that I have done I've liked and I think it'll be pretty cool and good when there are multiple people all working together for a common purpose.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

belt posted:

I played a bit more today. So far I'm enjoying it. I don't know how much I'll play during the beta because I like to leave the poopsocking for when it matters but the crafting that I have done I've liked and I think it'll be pretty cool and good when there are multiple people all working together for a common purpose.

That is totally the right way to be dealing with this beta TBH. You can /info Parched for the guild's location though even if you just want it for chat, bullshit, and Live strategy.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Whats the ultimate goal for someone playing the game? Just making a bigger settlement? If I just want to set up a supply line and pump out processed goods, is that something thats interesting or would that just be a stepping stone for bigger and better things?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
This game would be so much better if it wasn't for the incredibly arcane controls, UI, and very limited rebinding ability.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I have to say I feel less direction in this tale than the previous ones, but only because I have previous experience and the wiki really helped. Really says something about this tale's tasks, which was supposed to help guide you into doing something but it's either still being worked on or doesn't explain things as well as the wiki, which just so happens to be pretty anemic since old tale info is less relevant this time.

Also having to make a settlement in the wrong faction adds a huge time sink in the form of traveling to the home district to learn poo poo. It's not really Erev's fault (it kind of is tho), there's no easy access to a great hall for us to counteract meshwesh's control and the game has yet to teach me the what and where of the faction system.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

Also having to make a settlement in the wrong faction adds a huge time sink in the form of traveling to the home district to learn poo poo. It's not really Erev's fault (it kind of is tho), there's no easy access to a great hall for us to counteract meshwesh's control and the game has yet to teach me the what and where of the faction system.

Nah, this one's on me as much as Erev. Up until Beta, Hermopolis was a Hyksos territory and we were told it would stay that way in Augir's grand plan. He changed the plan when universities got shuffled. (And they are likely to shuffle again for live.) Beta is a test run, and we know the way things are isn't great. We're debating other options for Live.

One option is to stay in Hermopolis but go Meshwesh instead of Hyksos. Although Herm is far from the Guild Halls, there are ways to cover the distance more quickly once you get Expedition Travel and Navigation. It has the benefit of being a relatively small region that's surrounded by other regions--that gives us access to a lot of opportunities for bonuses. Right now, we have none because we're the wrong faction for Herm and bonuses aren't active in beta yet. Bonuses will change week-to-week, so some of that will be luck.

Another option is to place a camp closer to one of the major cities. On the upside, we'd be on a chariot route, we'd have schools clustered nearby, and there'd be more population around us. On the downside, core territories never get bonuses from the faction game because they never change hands.

A third option is to just roll ourselves into another group. I'd sooner uninstall the game than join Augir's cult, but there are other groups who might want to adopt us. I expect we'll collaborate with the Meshwesh public works (if we go MW) so that's a great way to meet people and strike up friendships.

Regardless, things will be different in Live. Public works guilds haven't bootstrapped themselves up very far because it's a lot of work to do for a very short-lived career in beta. The faction game is also changing as the devs are adjusting things every day. A lot of people (including me) are saving their energy for Live.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 21, 2019

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

holy poo poo the crafting in this game is intense. Finally getting off the starting island after bootstrapping a cart

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Control Volume posted:

holy poo poo the crafting in this game is intense. Finally getting off the starting island after bootstrapping a cart

Here's the Discord link to join the community. It's a very good place to ask questions and get a feel for how the game is evolving. I've spent a lot of time chatting with devs, which is fairly unique to this game. https://discord.gg/mcm5WkS

I'm definitely open to talking more about where we place our camp. Erev and I have gone back and forth on a lot of ideas, and we're willing to hear others. Right now my vote is to go Meshwesh and settle in Hermopolis around the Tribute Post to double-down on claiming that territory. However, since we'll likely be on a border, there's no reason why some goons couldn't go Hyksos. It would delight the devs, to be honest. We could pull some token shenanigans that would ruffle feathers all over Egypt.

Hermopolis is quite isolated in the beta, but it will only be that way for a week or two in Live. In week 1, there will be elections for Faction Elders who will have the power to spend tokens on extending their faction chat into regions regardless of whether they hold it or not. Also, bonuses haven't been added to beta yet, so really we're currently eating all the downsides of Hermopolis without any of the upsides.

e: Things that are new in T9.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 21, 2019

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
So our work has paid off and Hermopolis now belongs to Hyksos. We have faction chat again and I just picked up 6 onion seeds from the university. That means we can actually start on sheep breeding and a nice flow of leather.

I'll be on probably all day but distracted. If you need a newbie teleport anchor to camp feel free to use me. If you need me I'll get to you as soon as I see chat active.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

How do you unlock more projects in this? One of my tasks is building a crafting bench in my compound but I dont have the option and didnt see anything in the six schools around a chariot. Do I need to have higher skills? Or do I need to visit one of these universities people keep talking about?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Control Volume posted:

How do you unlock more projects in this? One of my tasks is building a crafting bench in my compound but I dont have the option and didnt see anything in the six schools around a chariot. Do I need to have higher skills? Or do I need to visit one of these universities people keep talking about?

Make more boards to get your Carpentry up to level one. You can see your level in the Skills list, which is the far left icon at the top of your screen.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Here's some stuff I wrote on starting out. Once I get it on the wiki I'll put it as a resource link.

Essential Stuff to Know

Tale is a game with a long history and a lot of players who have participated in previous chapters. As such, there are a lot of cultural rules that mostly boil down to “be respectful.” Collaboration matters a lot in this game, so make sure you’re not being a jerk by accident. When in doubt, ask someone.

Here are some basics to get you started in Egypt.

Factions

Factions were introduced in Tale 8 and have been revised slightly in Tale 9. You will be asked to pick one when you leave the Welcome Island tutorial area. Your choice will determine your starting location in Egypt. Meshwesh holds the North, Hyksos holds the middle, and Kush holds the South. Each has three regions that always belong to them. All the other areas are contestable. Controlling additional territories confers bonuses like extra yield to flax growing, veggies, or mining.

The currency for flipping territories are tokens, which are acquired from your faction Guild Hall. Only one is available per hour, and each player can only pick one up every two hours x the number of tokens you've picked up that week. Consequently, they’re rare and valuable. If you get one, be careful what you do with it.

Talents

Talents are a new concept to the game. They boost your stats and grant profession-specific bonuses like extra charcoal production or more efficient clothwork. You can redistribute your talents once every month. Most players will probably start out as Labourers, since the extra Strength and Dexterity doubles the amount that you can carry.

Public Works

Each Faction should have at least one player-run Public Works running to support development in the region. Ask around if you don’t know where they are. Usually you will find things like pottery wheels and kilns to help newbies get a leg up. If you use them, be a good guest and contribute back to their resources with whatever you’re able to produce to help maintain equipment.

Guilds

Guilds exist for almost every goal in Tale. Some are close-knit cooperatives, some are a loose chat channel for folks who live in the same area. There are guilds for particular facets of the game (wine making, blacksmithing, etc) and there are guilds for non-English languages, guilds of real-life friends, and guilds maintaining Public Works. Fortunately, you can belong to as many guilds as you like.

To join a guild, you need to find their Guild Hall and apply for membership by clicking on it. You can also build your own guild quite early in the game. The smaller the guild, the lower the cost. To add more members, you’ll have to pay in bricks and boards. Consequently, expect to pay an entry fee of materials to join other guilds.

Compounds

One of the first things you’ll probably do when you reach the Egyptian mainland is build a home base. Placement matters, but don’t panic about claiming the first decent spot you see. Egypt is very large, and although getting around is difficult at the start of the game, transportation between regions will unlock fairly early.

Pick a spot that gives you access to basic resources: wood, water, thorns, and silt. Many places meet that description, and quite a few have been tailor-made by GMs as homesteads for players to settle. Look for tell-tale signs of landscaping. Although you might choose to stay there for the rest of the Tale, there’s nothing stopping you from pulling up roots and resettling somewhere closer to a guild, chariot stops, or schools. Some players even prefer extremely remote spots.

You can also build as many compounds as you like, though you need a cornerstone to keep them from degrading over time. (Fortunately they are repairable!) All players start the game with one cornerstone to use as they see fit, though an additional two are awarded over time. The exception is for prepaid subscriptions: signing up for the full-tale gets you access to three cornerstones from Day 1.

It’s very important to be a good neighbour. Don’t build too close to other people’s compounds without asking first. Everyone needs more space for equipment as the game progresses, so expect that both you and your fellow Egyptians need space to expand over time.

Digs

Cuttable stones and medium stones are important items to get early in the game. You need them to make all kinds of things, like pottery wheels and mines. To dig a hole deep enough to produce stones, you need multiple players--more, the merrier. You also need some slate shovels, which are easily made but easily breakable. If you don’t have one, show up for digs anyway. Odds are very good that someone will have extras.

As players dig, stones will surface around them. A designated player (or players) will scoop up the stones. If you are not that person, hands off. If you grab one by accident, hand it back to the picker. At the end of the dig, players will line up and the picker will give each person their share of the rewards. Patience pays off. Digs typically last 30-60 minutes, or until a particular goal is reached.

Camels & Sheep

Leather and oil are valuable throughout the game. Camels and sheep are attainable early on, though maintaining them can be a bit of a pain.

Sheep can be found scattered around the countryside in grassy areas. They’re very cute and very heavy. You can attempt to slaughter an unrestrained sheep, though your odds of success are extremely low. Depending on your talent points, you can probably carry one or two back home. They do not fit in boxes, so you’re stuck carrying them until you build or borrow a pen. Once a sheep is housed, you can keep it as a breeder or easily slaughter it for resources. Most regions will have some public sheep pens available for slaughtering.

Sheep eat onions, which means you’ll need onion seeds to grow a steady supply of food. There are a few ways to get them. 1) Getting lucky at a University of Worship (each one in your faction’s territory will gift you six seeds, which might not be onion), 2) Trading for one, usually seed for seed, or 3) Completing the “Home for a Sheep” task list, which will award you a single seed upon completion. There’s a 4th way, since seeds are theoretically reproducible, but players are still puzzling that one out.

If you fail to keep your sheep sufficiently well fed, they can contract Sheep Pox, which is highly contagious and only curable with a high level of animal husbandry. Your neighbours will be unhappy with you if you cause an outbreak close enough to infect their livestock, so take care.

Camels are sneakier than sheep. To acquire one, you need to build a Dromedary Pen and fill the manger with straw. Each night, a single camel invisibly prowls the area for the open pen with the most straw, where it will settle, eating every scrap of food. To lure in a camel, you’re competing with everyone else in your area to have the most tempting Dromedary Pen. You can catch as many camels as you like, though gathering that much straw is challenging. Close the door to stop luring new camels.

Flax

Many, many things in Egypt are made with flax. It’s easy to acquire seeds from the tutorial, and if you ever run out, you can pick up more from a School of Art. There are several strains that all require different combinations of weeding and watering.

Flax is useful throughout the game, though the methods available at the start of the game are, at best, grindy. Once we unlock the ability to manipulate strains, flax that needs less work and yields more will become available.

Papyrus

Although it isn’t immediately as critical as flax, papyrus is a part of Egyptian life. On Day 1 of the game going live, there will be wild papyrus growing along the banks of the Nile and some ponds. After the game has been live for a couple days, there’s a good chance someone is currently planting and harvesting the papyrus, which means the ones you see belong to another player. Fortunately, you’ll start out with a few handfuls of seeds. If you lose them, ask publicly for more and someone will probably help you out.

To produce papyrus from seeds, you must sow them on the banks of the Nile. Players are still experimenting with the most effective methods, but common lore suggests dropping a handful of seeds every 5-10 coordinates every 10 seconds. After 10-20 minutes, papyrus will bloom on both sides of the river, as well as drifting into some side ponds and creeks. Be aware that some sections of the Nile appear to be dead-zones, so check with other players before tossing all your seeds in the water.

Once you’ve got a harvest of fertile papyrus plants, you’ll want to dry them on a flax hammock at a high altitude. (There will probably be public hammocks on mountain tops near cities like Avaris.) High altitude guarantees a yield of papyrus seeds. Drying papyrus at ground level guarantees a yield of 0 seeds.

Veggies

Seeds are one of the more valuable commodities in the game. You can pick up a handful from any University of Worship your faction controls, which is one of the driving forces behind the faction game--everyone wants access to seeds.

There are several kinds of veggies and they all serve a purpose, though some aren’t as useful early in the game. You can use them to feed your livestock, cook elaborate meals, or grill for a quick stat boost. Although seeds are duplicatable, the methods are mysterious, so it’s best to treat your seeds like the precious tools they are. At the start of the game, everyone will want onions (for sheep) and carrots (for rabbits.)

Beetles

Although they look like a monster you should kill, they’re perfectly harmless pets you can carry around in your pocket. Later in the game, you will be able to build terrariums and breed them. If you spot one, pick it up--they’re rare in the wild.

Winning

Tale is a vast game with a lot of things to do. It is not possible to master them all. Although the early parts of the game are linear and guided by task lists, once you’ve established yourself in Egypt, you’ll find yourself with a lot of options. Some of those options won’t appeal to you.

Do what you enjoy. Explore and discover which tasks you’re good at and find relaxing. Although there’s no currency in Egypt, there are always trades. Turn your talents into profit, even if your talent is as basic as making bricks. If you find yourself getting burned out, strike out in a new direction. Engage with the community and make friends who can teach you valuable skills.

If you are enjoying Tale, you’re winning it.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 22, 2019

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Control Volume posted:

You can always ping Erev or Coyote for help in game as well.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Informal description of factions written by a dev...

Meshwesh - Friendly tree-hugging hippies who are meh about technology. Throw great parties. Ask what's in the masterpieces before eating.
Hyksos - Camezotz. If you march along to the beat, you'll do great things. Otherwise, prepare for Reprogramming.
Kush - Militant technophiles. Expect high levels of burnout as they compete with factions with three times their numbers and win.

...it tracks.

I'm not marching along to the beat in Hyksos, so I plan to go Meshwesh in Live. It's friendlier and more collaborative over there, while Hyksos is dominated by one mega-guild and megalomaniac calling all the shots. Kush is pretty nice too, but they're trailing far behind in population.

In the last tale Meshwesh fell pretty far behind in technology, but the devs say they're monitoring that this time around and may make adjustments to balance things out. Also, I think our group can make a pretty big difference there.

Players can belong to any Faction and still play with us, though they may not be able to tap into regional benefits unless they match the Factions. Players are also completely welcome to join our guild for social purposes while devoting most of their play to another group or soloing. You can be in as many guilds as you like.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 22, 2019

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
The live guild finally has a guild name: The Affable Evil.

Thank you to Pixelante for coming up with it. We entirely plan to live up to the title and find new and exciting shenanigans to cause. Especially if it bothers Hyksos, cause gently caress them.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wish they would do something more interesting than just having three teams. I'd like to see each zone have its own population/bonuses and allow those zones autonomy into which faction to join, rather than dividing resources from the home zone. Hermopolis could have been goon central and the factions would have to court us for our favor.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

I wish they would do something more interesting than just having three teams. I'd like to see each zone have its own population/bonuses and allow those zones autonomy into which faction to join, rather than dividing resources from the home zone. Hermopolis could have been goon central and the factions would have to court us for our favor.

Oh my god, the player-base would implode.

We're probably going to court chaos (nominating Chaos Court as a back-up guild name if we change our minds on The Affable Evil) at least a little, and dedicate the guild to The Stranger. He's a little like a trickster god in Tale lore. His thing is giving out opportunites that tend to benefit a few people at the expense of others.

I'm still having fun in beta, though I'm saving energy for Live. I'm taking that day off work so I'll be around if anyone wants to jump in on the 30th and see if Tale is their kind of crazy.

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?
If only I could figure out why my computer keeps dying I'd join you- this looks like a lot of fun.

Somebob
Sep 16, 2000

Contents Guaranteed By Law To Contain At Least 99% Chemicals At All Times

Bieeanshee posted:

Man. I remember the first Telling, back when the Lumboards were still a going thing. Never got into it myself, but I'm always glad to see these threads pop up. ATITD is a strange beast, but it's good to see it's still going.

'Sup. As one of those who got into ATITD at exactly that time - and distinctly possibly at the same time as you, I think you might have been in #lummies or even #hate - yeah, glad to see it's still going as well and this time I will be showing up, too. I've gotta be Kush this time around, got a good community I'll be settling with, but as I've mentioned to Pixelante I will definitely swing up north and join the guild for social and possibly other purposes once expansions are cheap enough.

I did play last tale, extensively, so if any of you have questions about how things ran that time, I can answer! I'm also aiming to not know a ton about the T9 changes, though, so I'll be as lost as anyone else tomorrow but after getting my bearings, also willing to accept /chats from anyone here if they need informational assistance they think I might be able to provide. I'll be running around too much to probably stop in and help in person, but personal /chats are global and cross-faction.

TheJanitor
Apr 17, 2007
Ask me about being the strongest janitor since Roger Wilco
I had a blast playing this last time in tale 7 and will be back in goon camp desert edition this time around!

For me the best and most unique part of the game is being able to macro and the massive advantages you can gain over everyone else who doesn't become half bot half Egyptian. To give you an idea of the fun ways you can break the game with them:
  • Last tale I wrote a macro which grew vegetables (normally a tedious task) over 10 times faster than a dedicated poopsocker. No one else had a macro anywhere near as good so I was briefly vegetable king of egypt, trading with my hordes of carrots, researching technologies on my own, which usually involves an entire region grinding together, and generally being rich.
  • Making charcoal in this game usually involves you sitting next to a fire pit, watching for subtle changes in the fire's colour, clicking on the fire and getting angry when it dies anyway. Instead using the magic of macros we have code which does that for you, much more reliably and can run 8+ pits at once, where any human would struggle to do a couple. This is super useful early game and removes a bunch of grind as charcoal is important (i think) and there are no easier ways to get it. Also for now this is a relatively secret macro and only the goon camp / a couple other will have access to it.
  • The lead dev spawned on me once asking why I was a significant portion of server load. It turns out writing a macro which clicks as fast as the game lets you is sort of a DDOS. He only requested that I please don't break the server and let me be. In summary the devs are pretty cool.

The macro framework, which has a shared repository of scripts for ATITD, can be found here: http://www.dashingstrike.com/Automato/. I'm happy to help anyone get started with using them and writing them in lua! It comes with built in OCR, image detection and all the useful clicking/moving commands you need, so you can jump straight into writing macros which click on various text buttons or find certain things on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laceratedsky
Aug 29, 2007

TheJanitor posted:

I had a blast playing this last time in tale 7 and will be back in goon camp desert edition this time around!

For me the best and most unique part of the game is being able to macro and the massive advantages you can gain over everyone else who doesn't become half bot half Egyptian. To give you an idea of the fun ways you can break the game with them:
  • Last tale I wrote a macro which grew vegetables (normally a tedious task) over 10 times faster than a dedicated poopsocker. No one else had a macro anywhere near as good so I was briefly vegetable king of egypt, trading with my hordes of carrots, researching technologies on my own, which usually involves an entire region grinding together, and generally being rich.
  • Making charcoal in this game usually involves you sitting next to a fire pit, watching for subtle changes in the fire's colour, clicking on the fire and getting angry when it dies anyway. Instead using the magic of macros we have code which does that for you, much more reliably and can run 8+ pits at once, where any human would struggle to do a couple. This is super useful early game and removes a bunch of grind as charcoal is important (i think) and there are no easier ways to get it. Also for now this is a relatively secret macro and only the goon camp / a couple other will have access to it.
  • The lead dev spawned on me once asking why I was a significant portion of server load. It turns out writing a macro which clicks as fast as the game lets you is sort of a DDOS. He only requested that I please don't break the server and let me be. In summary the devs are pretty cool.

The macro framework, which has a shared repository of scripts for ATITD, can be found here: http://www.dashingstrike.com/Automato/. I'm happy to help anyone get started with using them and writing them in lua! It comes with built in OCR, image detection and all the useful clicking/moving commands you need, so you can jump straight into writing macros which click on various text buttons or find certain things on the screen.

You are an amazing human.

Also, after spending the last several days reading through the various Faction chats in Discord, I am willing to say that I will put all my available energy into making sure that Augir dude has a terrible time over the next 15 months. What an absolute shitlord.