Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
He threatened to get a Meshwesh kicked out of the faction for refusing to obey a non-existent treaty with Hyksos. I called him a bully and he seemed pleased about it.

e: Camp is looking lively with new settlers. Some are goons, some are not--its about 50/50 at this point. If you want to join us in Herakleopolis, c'mon down. The valley is a little shy on trees, so consider settling on the other side of one of the hills--there's good oasis land only a minute's run in any direction. Regardless, don't build too close to anyone else's compound. Space is good--we'll need it as the game progresses.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebob
Sep 16, 2000

Contents Guaranteed By Law To Contain At Least 99% Chemicals At All Times

TheJanitor posted:

I had a blast playing this last time in tale 7 and will be back in goon camp desert edition this time around!

For me the best and most unique part of the game is being able to macro and the massive advantages you can gain over everyone else who doesn't become half bot half Egyptian. To give you an idea of the fun ways you can break the game with them:
  • Last tale I wrote a macro which grew vegetables (normally a tedious task) over 10 times faster than a dedicated poopsocker. No one else had a macro anywhere near as good so I was briefly vegetable king of egypt, trading with my hordes of carrots, researching technologies on my own, which usually involves an entire region grinding together, and generally being rich.

Yeah, the veggiemacro was revolutionary and without it I'd have quit T7 pretty early. Right up until T7, our vegetable yields in a good spot were like 8-15 for onions, the basic sheep food, per plant. T7, max yield on every plant type is *2*, no matter where you grow. Would have gotten tendonitis from this game - AGAIN - without a way to automate the thousands of veg I needed.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
We currently have a world builder bamfing around our valley decorating it and making the terrain a little more friendly to settlement. :toot:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's funny. Back in the last tale or the tale before that, malard went around and cut out like half the trees in the game, thinking there were too many. Since beta he's had to reduce the wood timer twice and now they're going around adding trees. Too bad the new trees are an eyesore compared to the old ones.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I really like the new trees. And one of the clusters gives 40 wood for a single pass, so that's good for everyone. Another cluster gives 30.

She also flattened the area so that it'll be easier to build. She was at it for hours last night. We owe her a big thank you. (Her name is Peacefulness, if you happen to run into her.)

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 1, 2019

Beeps
Jun 9, 2009
Hello! It's Morsirus, coming in from the opposite direction and getting into your hangout before posting in the thread.

As this is my first telling I think I'm mostly going to be happy to just acting as a farming bot for others. I'll try to do other things, but honestly a lot of the way the game behaves starts to rub me the wrong way, and I'm happiest just running in circles collecting rocks or whatever.

Also this whole macro deal intrigues me and I want to learn all about that because good lord does this game seem like it's designed to be automated.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
This game has always fascinated me, and I popped in yesterday and built a compound, but I wish I could play it on a private server or something with a small group of friends. In the end, I keep feeling like I'm missing out of stuff because of the way universities work, and all the big public work projects. I kinda just wanna hermit down and bootstrap my way to success like a true randian superman

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I definitely need to start looking into the macros. After a few days this is starting to feel like RSI Simulator 2020 for me.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Beeps posted:

Also this whole macro deal intrigues me and I want to learn all about that because good lord does this game seem like it's designed to be automated.

You are in the right guild for that. Talk to thejanitor about macros.

Elswyyr posted:

This game has always fascinated me, and I popped in yesterday and built a compound, but I wish I could play it on a private server or something with a small group of friends. In the end, I keep feeling like I'm missing out of stuff because of the way universities work, and all the big public work projects. I kinda just wanna hermit down and bootstrap my way to success like a true randian superman

Our guild is friendly to any play-style. You can hermit and belong to our guild for social stuff, or just camp a few minutes away and use our equipment. Some players do solo the game, though it can get really grindy after a point.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Useful things to do right now:

* grow onions for the sheep (leather is a big bottleneck right now--need it for research, expedition travel, and soon mining)
* gather silt--it's a bit sparse in camp, but there are lots of great spots nearby, and picking up 10-20 piles every time you run past one goes a long way (makes firebricks)
* gather grass to feed the camels
* make bricks/boards (always always useful)
* gather limestone (it'll raise your stonework and we need it for glassworking)
* flax!
* process flax that our macroers have made--we need it for everything
* make linen (it's currently the bottleneck to getting chariot travel open)
* grow papyrus (useful for research)
* make jugs (we'll need hundreds for research, plus everyone should get 50 to pick up Navigation skill)
* slate is never not useful

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 3, 2019

Beeps
Jun 9, 2009
That reminds me: Almost immediately after getting those seeds, the soil around my compound apparently got ruined and spoiled the majority of the seeds I had. I'm unsure how to fix it (I need like six things I don't even have the skills for yet before I can learn ecology), so am I just... unable to make flax near my compound until I can get tadpoles, etc? Can I go somewhere else and plant them, and if so, how far would I need to travel?

Beeps fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 4, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
In beta I just moved away from my camp a ways, maybe 50 coords or so? Then I was able to grow flax and veggies again.

Technically, constitution peak will work in polluted soil, but it's an extra water on top of 3 weed iirc.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Yeah, I'd recommend just moving a ways away to do more flax. If you have Old Dog that's probably the best right now. 3 flax for 2 waters and 1 weed, 2 seeds, and doesn't seem to muck woth the soil as much as Symphony Ridge Gold

Somebob
Sep 16, 2000

Yeah, there's not really a great way to alleviate most "pollutions". Flax I've never quite figured out but I don't think it cares much about groundwater which is easy to drive down with veggie planting. That'll also deplete the other nutrients, too. But soot-producing buildings (firepits, kilns, later on forges) do tend to screw flax up for sure and that you can actually do something about - repeatedly harvesting wood or thorns drove down soot somewhat quickly in the past. But harvesting wood and thorns also drives down groundwater, again if it's similar to how it was in the past. Eco system's weird and complex and never fully figured out, but it's a shame we're stuck without the ability to do most of the tests until we have cabbage seeds.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's amazing to me that this game attempts to simulate ground water levels. Nothing in the game world tells you or shows you that it's happening, at least as far as I can tell.

I also think maybe something should be done about how often people fail to find the pattern regarding veggies and the occasional other thing every tale. I vaguely recall in past tales how bizarre some of the requirements were to get veggie seeds to produce more seeds. Like, maybe they shouldn't be so convoluted? They're just vegetables.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Pollution is going to be a big thing. One of the problems is that the mechanics have never been fully (or even significantly) mapped out by players. If you ask the devs they just smirk and say "discovery!"

Since a few of us have personal goals that involve cultivation, we're talking about putting the industrial stuff outside the main valley area. Fortunately, no other groups are camped near us, so we've got lots of room to sprawl.

e: I put a ton of information and coords in my /info. Check "/info Coyote" for basic stuff like coordinates of UWorships.

e2: How to Expedition Travel:

1) Pick up the Exploration Travel skill from the School of Natural Philosophy for 2 Leather. (Check the camel/sheep pens for leather, or ask.)
2) Set the Expedition Site that's located immediately SE of camp--looks like a little chariot next to a banner. You can only have one Expedition Site set, but you can always swap later.
3) Set a Home point. Mine is in Tanis, so I can bamf up there to pick up tokens, skills and use the Chariot.

You can warp back to your Expedition Site from anywhere in the map, using Travel Time (check under Navigation to see how much you have saved--it's an Offline Chore to collect it.) From your Expedition Site, you can warp Home. It's extremely handy.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 7, 2019

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
is beetle/scarab breeding still a thing? That was my jam back in k12

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Arkangelus posted:

is beetle/scarab breeding still a thing? That was my jam back in k12

We aren't quite at that tech level yet but the beetles are totally wandering about and some of us have a decent starting collection.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

Erev posted:

We aren't quite at that tech level yet but the beetles are totally wandering about and some of us have a decent starting collection.

awesome :)

I over prepared in the starting area it seems. have to leave 19 rope to rot :doh:

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Arkangelus posted:

awesome :)

I over prepared in the starting area it seems. have to leave 19 rope to rot :doh:

Curses! Let us know when you get to the mainland. We've got quite the settlement going!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

The industrial compound is now up and located directly SE of camp along the road. (All guild-shared compounds are painted green.) Anything that generates pollution--mainly burning stuff--should go out there. That means kilns, bonfires, and firepits. Keep the valley green so we can cultivate plants there later.

Current guild needs:

* 1450 boards and 2850 bricks are needed to expand our Guild Hall to 30 so that we can add new goons without kicking out mules or folks who've been offline for less than two weeks.
* Straw. We've been super lucky with camels, but they do eat a lot. Consider using your offline chores to gather more grass if you've unlocked that skill.
* Wood. I know it's boring to gather, but we need it for boards, bonfires, charcoal, and other things. Hit trees while you're running around.
* Limestone. (For upcoming glasswork.)
* Flax. Because always, always flax. Save your thread and twine for Erev--he specced as a Weaver and can use mats a lot more efficiently than the rest of us.

Other things to do:

* Pick up the three tests from UBody and go for a really long walk. Beduin might be broken, so don't make yourself crazy there. A lot of people are picking up talent points from Cicadas and Oyster Catcher.
* Level up your skills.
* Go on a dig if anyone throws one in MW. The cuttable stones and medium stones can help you level up Stoneworking, and are really useful.
* Go herb-gathering. You can do it while travelling around and the results will be useful for cooking stat-boosting goodies once we get iron pots going.
* Spend some time on the wiki looking up skills like Mining and Glass Making since we'll have them soon.

e: And thanks to the efforts of thejanitor, we can afford a second sheep pen. We'll try to get that up tonight.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 10, 2019

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Womp womp the sheep have pox. New protocol--clean out the pens of anything other than sheep food when you walk past. Dump it in the warehouse for now.

The Test of the Acrobat is open now. You can pick it up from UBody, who will teach you 4 different gymnastic moves. The goal is to teach your moves to others, and learn theirs. Click on someone and select Test to start acroing with them. You need to do it in a slightly isolated spot.

Right now there's a big acro-line going just next to the Chariot in Bernike. (Take the chariot from Tanis --> Avaris --> Koptos --> Sharuhen.) It's nearly over, but there will be another on Saturday, starting at 9AM EST. To participate, locate the start of the line--probably Augir, since he's running it--and acro for three minutes, cycling through your moves. When he calls out, move to the next square on the acro-court. Eventually, you'll reach the end of the line, at which point you can become a station for the next person coming through.

Acro-lines tend to go for hours, though you can leave when you like. It's an easy way to get 2 talent points.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
did you at least save the sheep for biological warfare later?

Somebob
Sep 16, 2000

Alas, one cannot remove the sheep from a pen infected with pox. Well, you can, but only in a way that effectively clears their poxxed status and seems pretty likely to be unintended if not actually considered an exploit. But it's easy to generate pox on demand should you need it! Just let your sheep starve for a while and they are supposedly fairly likely to develop pox before they die. I kept meaning to do experiments on this back in T8 since there are many things about pox that are still unclear like what exactly its spread distance in and what the precise triggers are for it to spread, but slaughtering infectious sheep is a pretty likely trigger for it to spread. There's also a pretty significant chance for it to come up randomly in a pen, too, as last tale the area I lived in had no players around for thousands of coords and yet we still got pox in a well-fed pen.

Not sure I trust keep the pen cleared out as a way to prevent pox given the random factor and lack of Pox Science but no real harm in doing that other than having to store the resulting products, so may as well. And there are more widely reported results that keeping Dung cleared out reduces Nitrogen build up, and too much Nitrogen can keep crops from growing.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

A lot of us spent time on the acro court this weekend. Lines are a great way to get a bunch of acrobat facets, but I'm not sure I recommend doing it for an entire day.

Meanwhile, goon camp is looking pretty good.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
We've also got a set of mines up and should be seeing blacksmithing and the like within the next couple of weeks. Metal tools is a huge milestone in game.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
seems like we zoomed so fast towards copper and iron, bone items never had a chance to be anything.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

seems like we zoomed so fast towards copper and iron, bone items never had a chance to be anything.

Probably another week to week and a half before we can trade for blades... two before we can make them. Add maybe another week if that's behind advanced blacksmithing. There may be time yet but, yeah, between the cost of ranking up animal husbandry and the limited number of critters I can't see wide scale adoption.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Current guild goals:

1) Enlarging the green compound in the middle of the valley. Blueprints are set, just add the mats if you have some time.
2) Making a metric ton of bricks in order to fill that compound with storage chests.

We're going to use that as a central storage unit for shared things, but also as a space where everyone can have a personal chest as a locker/mailbox. It should help those of you whose homes are distanced from the main equipment compounds. Everyone's chest should be made stashable and labelled with their name.

In other news, Test of the Khefre's Children (UNP) is open. Once you pick it up, you'll be able to make a Khefre's locker to stash all those beetles you've been carrying around. We still don't have the technology to make beetle terrariums, however, you can pick up Ranching at the UWorsh.

e: FYI there is a mysterious chest located next to the Great Hall which is labelled "Donations." It was built by The Stranger, and there doesn't yet seem to be anything you can do with it. Hyksos and Kush also have one next to their GHs.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 18, 2019

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

oh hey I remember playing this in Tale 3 or 4, and it being really fun-

mostly I recall making Hollywood-style signs using stalks of flax (?)

gonna hafta check out the new tale when I can get to a PC tonite

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Bricks and sticks time again! We need to enlarge the guild to make room for newbies and alts without kicking out folks who've only been offline a few days.

3200 boards and 6350 bricks will get us up to 45, which should last. I don't think we want to get much bigger than a couple dozen active players, but some folks are more casual than others.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

oh hey I remember playing this in Tale 3 or 4, and it being really fun-

mostly I recall making Hollywood-style signs using stalks of flax (?)

gonna hafta check out the new tale when I can get to a PC tonite

Awesome! Let us know your name so we can get you down to camp.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Things are still progressing quite nicely for Affable. Iron production is up and we've finally got nails to build stuff with. We can also cook now, though mapping out recipes is a challenge.

We're low on bricks and boards, so if you have any time to grind a little for the greater good, that's what's needed right now.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
We've got metal tools now that either don't break at all or break much less often which has let me kick the textile work into high gear. Our settlement also keeps expanding - what is shown is missing a couple people's homesteads, the heavy industry compounds, the smelters, the salt compound (yes, really), and the mines.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Hey zames, if you're around, can you come back to the game long enough to transfer ownership of your compound and camel pen to the guild?

We'd prefer to have you play again, but if we can't have that, we could really use the space--mostly the camel pen's spot is inconvenient for our ranching!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So the only content in this game is crafting? It seems pretty interesting, so I might give it a shot, but part of my brain is telling me that unless that crafting has a real purpose, I might not be able to get into it.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

So the only content in this game is crafting? It seems pretty interesting, so I might give it a shot, but part of my brain is telling me that unless that crafting has a real purpose, I might not be able to get into it.

It is a weird, weird game that is definitely not for everyone. However, you get 24 hours of in-game time to decide if it's up your alley. Type "/chat Coyote" when you get in to open up a chat tab with me. You can add me to your friends-list to see if I'm online or not.

At this point, all our work at unlocking technology has turned Gooncamp (Affable Valley) into a massive vineyard. We're close to wine, beer, and hookahs. We're one of the largest/richest guilds in Meshwesh. We're also quite inclusive of newbies, which I think helps keep things lively.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Affable Valley is still fun and productive. We have beer, we have a ridiculous number of vineyards, and I remain a luddite while other guild members do all kinds of metal work. Quite a few Tests are open so there's lots to do.

We're still accepting newbies if anyone wants to come give the game a try.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Yo it's been 15 months, where da next tale at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Discord mentions "Early new year" as early as mid January but nothing is confirmed.
New system called "Temptation" will be introduced in T10.

Album with screenshots from discord with dev describing what the system is https://imgur.com/a/KyWCbnJ
Can't really TL ; DR it because it's apparently complex? Either that or I have no reading comprehension.