Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Mindhunter is show based on the book Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit. It semi-non-fictionally follows the formation and continual work of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit, or in other words, the unit that studies serial killers. It was created by Joe Penhall and is executive produced by David Fincher and Charlize Theron (wait, what?)

Season 1 came out on Netflix in fall of 2017 and Season 2 just premiered on August 16th. The plot picks up directly after the end of the last season so get ready for lots of the sets to look completely different given the two year production gap.

Not much seems to have been said about the plot of the season, which is good, so I'll just list out a few of the key characters:

Jonathan Groff as Holden Ford, the lead character based off of John E. Douglas. He spearheaded the creation of the BSU and uses tactics that his colleagues sometimes think are questionable to interview their subjects.

Holt McCallany as Bill Tench, based on real person Robert K. Ressler, plays the senior agent partner to Agent Ford. From the way some of the marketing imagery looks, he might play a more primary part in this season, but it's hard to tell.

Anna Torv as Wendy Carr, based on a Dr. Ann Wolbert Burgess (doesn't really have a Wikipedia, just found the name in an article), is an academic that gets brought into the BSU as they're formed.

Cameron Britton as Edmund Kemper, a serial killer that Ford and Tench interview early in their partnership that "inspires" them to create the BSU. Not sure if he is in this season, but I have a feeling he is.

If you ain't seen the first season then definitely watch it first! And here is its thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was blown away by the first season and it's been too long a wait for this one, and I'm all about Tench getting more screentime.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm up to half through the second episode. Tench screen time is like 80% more than Ford.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I won't get a chance to watch for a day or so but that rules, one of my favorite parts of season 1 was Ford getting all excited about his revolutionary techniques working and Tench going,"...but... we caught him using actual investigative police work....."

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Been waiting a while for this. Looking forward to binge watching it this weekend.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tonight I will get a pizza and watch this television show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
From what I can tell the Atlanta child murders are gonna be a primary storyline.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Do we know how much Fincher directed? The first one and then the last two of the season like last time I guess?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Watching episode one now. What the hell is with the puce yellow lighting everywhere? The characters all look like they're in endstage liver failure.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

algebra testes posted:

Do we know how much Fincher directed? The first one and then the last two of the season like last time I guess?

First three, I believe.

Fartington Butts posted:

I'm up to half through the second episode. Tench screen time is like 80% more than Ford.

Yea, from the first few episodes it seems that way and that's a grand thing, cuz Tench is rad as hell.

Episode 3 has quite the funny character they interview lol
"How about your family?
"Daddy? He weren't stupid. Got my intellick from his side. Run his mouth like no ones. One day he... he ran. He up, and dissipated."
"Dissipated?"
"Vamoosed. That's spanish... for run away"

Tumble fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 16, 2019

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Binging all of Season 2 today, starting right now.

Not surprised Charlize Theron is an EP on this is as she portrayed Aileen Wuornos in Monster (for which she received an Oscar for best actress, and the movie is definitely worth a watch. Is was made right around the same time Wuornos was executed.)

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Agent Dunham's new boss is an Observer.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Not surprised Charlize Theron is an EP on this is

That and this:

Wikipedia posted:

The development of Mindhunter began in 2009 when Charlize Theron gave a non-fiction crime book titled Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit (written by retired FBI agent John E. Douglas and author Mark Olshaker) to David Fincher

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Does anyone know if the (E1 spoiler) BTK autoerotic asphyxiation anecdote is true?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Bardeh posted:

Watching episode one now. What the hell is with the puce yellow lighting everywhere? The characters all look like they're in endstage liver failure.

That's the way Fincher lights most of his movies.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

clown shoes posted:

Haven't watched yet but this makes me happy. Also hoping for more Kemper. Dude blasted it out of the park last season.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tumble posted:

Episode 3 has quite the funny character they interview lol
"How about your family?
"Daddy? He weren't stupid. Got my intellick from his side. Run his mouth like no ones. One day he... he ran. He up, and dissipated."
"Dissipated?"
"Vamoosed. That's spanish... for run away"

The sound that they had on the dude's chewing was grossing me out real hard, but man he had some choice mispronunciations of things. I think "sustpicks" was one and that got me pretty good.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

mr. unhsib posted:

Does anyone know if the (E1 spoiler) BTK autoerotic asphyxiation anecdote is true?

The exact scene is true. His wife caught him and threatened to leave if he didn't stop. He "stopped" as she stayed and gave him books to cure him.
I think the show will show it later but he ends up doing some very bizarre freaky stuff to himself. This is barely anything. I can explain more if people want.

clown shoes posted:

I'm so happy they are together again! I love reunions like this

Episode 2

The interview in the pickup was a masterclass and :perfect:. It was amazingly done.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 17, 2019

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Episode 2

The interview in the pickup was a masterclass and :perfect:. It was amazingly done.

As I watching that I was thinking "This guy is loving amazing and should be commended for it, but never will be."

Tench was wonderful in that scene as well. And it wasn't even like a super tense serial killer scene.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

edit: Eh.......

duck monster fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 17, 2019

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

The Atlanta Child Murder case is very intriguing. It looks like there is some mitochondrial DNA evidence: a one in a hundred chance of a false positive for Wayne Williams and a one in a hundred chance for a false positive his dog on one of the child victims but no smoking gun.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 17, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Rewatching season 2 to get ready for t his (totally snuck up on me) but man after so much 'I'M A CRIMINAL PROFILER I CAN TELL YOU EVERYTHING ABOUT A SERIAL KILLER WITH CLUES ALONE' bullshit like Criminal Minds I'm glad a show actually explores the non-bunk stuff the BAU should be known for.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

*Tench brings his kid into work for fathers day*

"And this is my son Brian. But, we call him "Dex". He wants to be a Blood spatter analyst when he grows up!"

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Episode 5: Manson time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MmHGoKq1Y

Manson was so awesome and I loved every second of that scene. The actor playing him did an amazing job and got the crazy just right to me.

The actor also is playing Manson in 'Once Upon A Time in Hollywood' and if anyone has seen that, I'm very curious how his portrayal in that compares to this.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 17, 2019

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Digital Jedi posted:

Episode 5: Manson time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MmHGoKq1Y

Manson was so awesome and I loved every second of that scene. The actor playing him did an amazing job and got the crazy just right to me.

The actor also is playing Manson in 'Once Upon A Time in Hollywood' and if anyone has seen that, I'm very curious how his portrayal in that compares to this.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood: Manson is barely in it. He has like two lines of dialogue.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

mr. unhsib posted:

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood: Manson is barely in it. He has like two lines of dialogue.

That's disappointing. Glad he got more in this!

Episode 6:
The Atlanta Killer actually appears for a brief second or two in the episode. Hint: He did return to the scene of the crime!

I barely caught it only cause I was just reading up on on the wiki and the murderer's picture is there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just caught up on the first episode, so glad this show is back up and running even if I have to remind myself a little about what happened in season 1 like the whole thing with the investigation into the missing tape.

"Jesus Christ, you really are a pussy..." absolutely cracked me up.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Fartington Butts posted:

The sound that they had on the dude's chewing was grossing me out real hard, but man he had some choice mispronunciations of things. I think "sustpicks" was one and that got me pretty good.

Ford having to restrain himself from correcting him was cracking me up, too. Little micro-shakes of his head like "This loving idio--- NO. Ignore it. Don't let him know he speaks like a retard."

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just finished and man that was a great season. I like the different focus and pace compared to the first.

Random Thoughts at 3am:
Felt this season's focus on Tench when season 1 was Holden's. Really liked that change for character development. Hope season 3 is about Carr. Felt like she was underused aside from the 2 interviews she did. She didn't do much more than that.

Holden's panic attacks really didn't come back up much. I think in one of first few episodes he had two or came close to but after that nothing. Felt like they were going to do more with that.

First season was about building a unit and this one sort of proved the unit can work and produce results. Really like them improving on it from the first and not just repeating the 1st season.

I understood why they had Tench's son plot in it (Fears he sees in his son the things he is finding in serial killers) but I really could have done without much of it. Especially his wife.

My favorite interviews for this season
Manson→Son of Sam→Wayne Williams→Elmer Wayne Henley→Tex

Glad to see big man Ed Kemper and they had him doing books on tape!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSxmnkRXE8

As the episode ended I was wondering where BTK was and boy they disappoint with that creepy of an ending. Him setting up all his trophies and press clippings on the bed as he autoerotic asphyxiates himself in the mask . That is top level creepy.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Having just finished e4, not convinced by the Trench's son plot. It feels like a dumb, cheap plot trope. 'FBI Agent's son involved in a murder' is one of those convenient coincidences that writers come up with that just doesn't feel right. Hope the series proves me wrong.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Great season. Once again skipping all of the family/personal stuff is going to be how I rewatch it in the future. It really should just be laser focused on the investigations/interviews because everything they come up with outside of that feels contrived and I can't bring myself to care.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Having just finished e4, not convinced by the Trench's son plot. It feels like a dumb, cheap plot trope. 'FBI Agent's son involved in a murder' is one of those convenient coincidences that writers come up with that just doesn't feel right. Hope the series proves me wrong.

Yeah I just got to that and it felt really contrived, I'm hoping it works out okay.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Does any expert have a theory on why Dean Corll killed those boys? Dahmer was just wired wrong and Gacy was beaten to unconsciousness by his father but I can't find a similar explanation for Dean Corll.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dmitri-9 posted:

Does any expert have a theory on why Dean Corll killed those boys? Dahmer was just wired wrong and Gacy was beaten to unconsciousness by his father but I can't find a similar explanation for Dean Corll.

A lot of time these high body count guys are just 'normal' violent people with personality disorders who just happened to have a big hunting ground. Corll at the end of the day was a wealthy guy who yea likely did have some real trauma being a closeted gay man and all, but it was just 'he had money, access to victims, and was enough of a sociopath and sexual sadist to keep on killing and he enjoyed having power over his underlings. That's kinda the real horror of these stories, for every guy like Gacy who was beaten near to death or someone like, say, Brudos who had such a cartoonishly obvious sexual component combined with abuse and poo poo, you've got guys like Corll and Dahmer who are just kinda hosed up and untreated and had a lot of access to victims to prey on.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm episode two they mention someone called The Zodiac. Not familiar.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

I love that Manson sits above his interviewers, a little man locked away forever but he is still the guru.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked the "fag->" graffiti on the wall during the Henley interview. Kinda on the nose, but a nice touch.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Yeah I hate this storyline. Everything else is amazing.

Is there any good documentaries on the Atlanta Child Murders. I'm not done with the season yet but I've read a bit about it. I'm not saying the guy they caught was innocent, but it doesn't seem like they had much evidence. And with a city desperate to solve the crime, I wouldn't put it past them to embellish some stuff. I've read about the DNA but they never found evidence with him and the other murders? Seems odd.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Niwrad posted:

Yeah I hate this storyline. Everything else is amazing.

Is there any good documentaries on the Atlanta Child Murders. I'm not done with the season yet but I've read a bit about it. I'm not saying the guy they caught was innocent, but it doesn't seem like they had much evidence. And with a city desperate to solve the crime, I wouldn't put it past them to embellish some stuff. I've read about the DNA but they never found evidence with him and the other murders? Seems odd.

probably the best argument it was him is that they immediately stopped with his arrest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked the "fag->" graffiti on the wall during the Henley interview. Kinda on the nose, but a nice touch.

If you think that was on the nose, wait until you get to the Paul Bateson interview. They're interviewing this guy who was a part of the gay "S/M" crowd in NYC, and the interview takes place in this like... rusty dark metallic boiler room that feels as if it's STRAIGHT out of some leather fantasy and a bunch of guys in full-body leather Gimp suits would look totally at home ambling around there. Even the prison uniform Bateson wears is a bit fetishistic, and he has both Wendy and Gregg pegged in a few minutes, totally controls the whole interview. It was actually an amazing scene at time, but SO on the nose. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I also haven't finished the episode yet - I had to pause after the Bateson interview, it did give me a lot to think about..

It's nowhere near as good as the interview in the truck in episode 2. I had written a long post about that, and how it was this amazing, original shot and method of shooting an interaction between two people that I don't think I have EVER seen used in any other film or show before - really. I sincerely have never seen something shot quite like that before, really. It's just pretty unusual to come across a truly original shot, most every sort of device is stolen from one place or another, and maybe i just don't know where Fincher got the idea from. Regardless, it was a fantastic scene - the pickup truck scene, I mean. The Bateson scene is pretty good.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 17, 2019