Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Hey, if The Knick of all things can come back, anything's possible.

Wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They're working on a third season with André Holland and the original creators and showrunners returning. Soderbergh is only EP with Barry Jenkins directing instead. Source

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If Bertie isn't in this doing naked hat flourishes then I'm going to be so let down!

https://i.imgur.com/XAYP0qo.gifv

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

WAIT WHAT

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Stare-Out posted:

They're working on a third season with André Holland and the original creators and showrunners returning. Soderbergh is only EP with Barry Jenkins directing instead. Source

Holy poo poo. That’s amazing.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3661288/mindhunter-david-fincher-netflix-reportedly-talking-potential-third-season/

I will keep the hope!!! I don't care how small the chance are or what this site is!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, every so often I remember this show existed and get sad thinking about what could have been. Bill Tench ruled and I loved every time he'd call Holden out on his bullshit that ignored most of their successes came down to really basic policing/detective work being done well, as opposed to his half-assed understanding of psychology and his overconfidence in the merit of his "profiles".

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jerusalem posted:

Man, every so often I remember this show existed and get sad thinking about what could have been. Bill Tench ruled and I loved every time he'd call Holden out on his bullshit that ignored most of their successes came down to really basic policing/detective work being done well, as opposed to his half-assed understanding of psychology and his overconfidence in the merit of his "profiles".

definitely my favorite scene was Kemper in season 2 where he just tosses "oh by the way have you considered your profile only works on people who've been caught??" over his shoulder and blows up Holden's whole life

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holden tossing out a profile of BTK that basically got EVERYTHING wrong about him was kind of extraordinary.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The general consensus on the Atlanta Murders is that the man they nabbed is likely guilty of at least a couple of the murders but the police then just used him as a convenient scapegoat to blame for ALL the unsolved killings of black kids in the area rather then having to continue actually investigating and find awkward connections to the Klan and perhaps members of law enforcement themselves right?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pretty much

He was only convicted of 2 murders (which I believe were adults?)out of the few dozen possible cases. It was easier to just say 'yea he did it all' than keep trying to investigate (plus it's hard enough to imagine one person doing the crime let alone more people doing it). It gave police the excuse to put a bow on it and be done with it.
Now far as I know after he was arrested no more kids were found so that points to his guilt. However, there really wasn't much concrete evidence (like modern finger prints, DNA etc) tying him to all the cases.

Briefing googling seems KKK member was on tape talking about how good the murdering of black kids were and what not but passed a lie detector and nothing materialized after that.

Jerusalem posted:

Holden tossing out a profile of BTK that basically got EVERYTHING wrong about him was kind of extraordinary.

They would have to do some time skips to get up to BTK capture (was in 2005!).Plus in the show it's still the late 70s and he has more murders to still commit. But I really wanted the final season to cover him and their failures at profiling him.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 23, 2021

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Would love to see how they dramatize the incredibly stupid way BTK got caught

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

The equivalent of the old,"By clicking okay you say you're not a cop and if you are you can't do anything!" message on websites in the late 90s :allears:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s funny in light of the serial killer dude saying how the cops have no idea how many serial killers are out there because only the dumb ones get caught.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Exhuming this thread since there has been tiny bits of movement recently:

Evidently the third season would've taken/will take place in Hollywood.

Also Jonathan Groff recently mentioned that a third season is still a possibility, and despite recently talking about how exhausting making the show is, Fincher has reportedly been more keen on the idea of a season 3 lately but said people would need to show there's demand for it to Netflix. Maybe once his next (also Netflix) movie comes out?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

God I hope we get more, I really liked this show. Fingers crossed!!

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The general consensus on the Atlanta Murders is that the man they nabbed is likely guilty of at least a couple of the murders but the police then just used him as a convenient scapegoat to blame for ALL the unsolved killings of black kids in the area rather then having to continue actually investigating and find awkward connections to the Klan and perhaps members of law enforcement themselves right?

Nah the general consensus is that Williams was the perpetrator. In the pre-DNA era it was relatively uncommon to be able to convict a prolific serial killer for all his murders, there'd be no or spurious evidence in case of most of the victims.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
They talk about how they can't bring the show in under Netflix budget but I don't really see how this show would be all that expensive? Quite the opposite really. I'm trying to think of areas where you'd really need a lot of money here and can't come up with anything. There's no real effects work or complicated set pieces.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

There's no real effects work or complicated set pieces.

There's a good amount of CG effects that go into period or location correcting shots. One of those cases where the special effects are so good you don't realize you're looking at SFX. Check out the effects reel videos on YouTube.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

They talk about how they can't bring the show in under Netflix budget but I don't really see how this show would be all that expensive? Quite the opposite really. I'm trying to think of areas where you'd really need a lot of money here and can't come up with anything. There's no real effects work or complicated set pieces.

I do recall a behind the scenes from season 1 showing a shockingly high (and invisible) use of special effects to exterior locations - stuff like adding cracks, wear, grass, weeds etc into the pavement. No idea how expensive it was, but given it appeared seamless I'm guessing it wasn't a cheap option they took.

Edit: Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di4Byf1EzRE

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Any period piece is by default insanely expensive whenever you have to shoot anything outside.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Netflix supposedly just spent $30 million per episode on Stranger Things so they’re out of money.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They also have to pay Adam Sandler hundreds of millions of dollars which is far more important than some critically acclaimed show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They are literally spending half a billion dollars to make some sequels to Red Notice.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's the power of the Egg.

A third season in Hollywood (depending on the timine) would be very interesting. Ton of stuff they could pull from.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 25, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Niwrad posted:

They are literally spending half a billion dollars to make some sequels to Red Notice.

At the moment it is impossible to make a Ryan Reynolds movie that doesn't turn a profit.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm glad this thread got resurrected. I was browsing Netflix debating if I wanted to cancel it or not, saw the thumbnail for Mindhunters and thought, "drat, this needs another season." And lo and behold, I log on here and see that there is at least movement in that direction! I won't get my hopes up, but drat I want more of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

xpost from the idiots thread

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1518637562138697728?t=16rYJpkmPqRyK39uUapiNw&s=19

Arivia posted:

Is that why he was so good at cunnilingus in mindhunter