Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Mindhunter is show based on the book Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit. It semi-non-fictionally follows the formation and continual work of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit, or in other words, the unit that studies serial killers. It was created by Joe Penhall and is executive produced by David Fincher and Charlize Theron (wait, what?)

Season 1 came out on Netflix in fall of 2017 and Season 2 just premiered on August 16th. The plot picks up directly after the end of the last season so get ready for lots of the sets to look completely different given the two year production gap.

Not much seems to have been said about the plot of the season, which is good, so I'll just list out a few of the key characters:

Jonathan Groff as Holden Ford, the lead character based off of John E. Douglas. He spearheaded the creation of the BSU and uses tactics that his colleagues sometimes think are questionable to interview their subjects.

Holt McCallany as Bill Tench, based on real person Robert K. Ressler, plays the senior agent partner to Agent Ford. From the way some of the marketing imagery looks, he might play a more primary part in this season, but it's hard to tell.

Anna Torv as Wendy Carr, based on a Dr. Ann Wolbert Burgess (doesn't really have a Wikipedia, just found the name in an article), is an academic that gets brought into the BSU as they're formed.

Cameron Britton as Edmund Kemper, a serial killer that Ford and Tench interview early in their partnership that "inspires" them to create the BSU. Not sure if he is in this season, but I have a feeling he is.

If you ain't seen the first season then definitely watch it first! And here is its thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm up to half through the second episode. Tench screen time is like 80% more than Ford.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Not surprised Charlize Theron is an EP on this is

That and this:

Wikipedia posted:

The development of Mindhunter began in 2009 when Charlize Theron gave a non-fiction crime book titled Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit (written by retired FBI agent John E. Douglas and author Mark Olshaker) to David Fincher

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tumble posted:

Episode 3 has quite the funny character they interview lol
"How about your family?
"Daddy? He weren't stupid. Got my intellick from his side. Run his mouth like no ones. One day he... he ran. He up, and dissipated."
"Dissipated?"
"Vamoosed. That's spanish... for run away"

The sound that they had on the dude's chewing was grossing me out real hard, but man he had some choice mispronunciations of things. I think "sustpicks" was one and that got me pretty good.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Episode 2

The interview in the pickup was a masterclass and :perfect:. It was amazingly done.

As I watching that I was thinking "This guy is loving amazing and should be commended for it, but never will be."

Tench was wonderful in that scene as well. And it wasn't even like a super tense serial killer scene.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

A final RIP

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1319680751554732032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The tuna can filled with ants is the thing that resonated with me the most. From the second she put it there after hearing a cat meowing to the point where she tried to retrieve/replace it.

That reminds me that she did have the whole girlfriend plot in the second season. I feel like that wasn't don't well. I could barely remember it because I was more focused on the main plot.