Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

It’s good to be bad…..

You know what we’re lacking here - a good, secret underground lair. I mean, look at the place - It’s a desert island, and not the tropical one, it’s more of a sandblasted heap than anything else.
But no one comes here, so it’s a good place for Evil.

I’m not going to lie. I’ve always wanted to rule the world, but apparently when your a eight foot croctopus from regions unspecified, people don’t want to vote for you. So what do you do? You take over some patsy and have them take over the world for you….

Evil Genius? Yeah, I like that title.

Welcome to Evil Genius

If you’ve not heard of this game, then your missing out - set in an alternate 60’/70’s, you take control of an evil genius and try to take over the world.
It’s a lot like Dungeon keeper, in that you spend a lot of time on the base screen, building a nice place for your minions to live and train, as well as somewhere to store the untold riches that you will steal.

The other half of the game is spent on the operations screen, where you send minions on raids to steal money, information and priceless artifacts. This brings in heat, and heat means that the world intelligence agencies send in more and more men, then their not-james-bond like Secret Agents.

So this will be a video LP, but to begin with, we need to choose a Evil Genius.
Let’s meet the hopefuls then, shall we.

Maximilian

quote:

Raised in rural Austria by foster parents, Maximilian did not have the happiest of childhoods. Already the bully’s favourite because of his stockiness and squint; the young Maximilan became even more isolated from his peers when he developed chronic stress-related alopecia (hair loss) after a weekend-long ritual beating from his foster father, incurred for the crime of looking at him askew.
Such early setbacks might have deterred lesser men, but it only made Maximilian stronger, and he went on to found an extremely lucrative empire, fuelled by a desire to prove his worth to the world. Yet even his riches, Maximilian found himself rejected by his friends and beautiful women he thought he could buy. Spurned once more, he turned to misanthropy, and began to plot his revenge. If he could not make the world like him, he would have to make the world fear him…

So a small angry Austrian intent on world domination. He’s just missing some artistic leanings without the talent.
Wait, no, he’s Blowfeld. Not Hitler.

Let’s take a look at his special ability.

quote:

Maximilian’s industrialist background gives him a strong interest in scientific research. If you select Maximilian to be your Evil Genius, you will be promised a reduction to any cash incentive payment used while doing research. His starting Henchman is Jubei and his aura of influence is average-sized, with average recovery capabilities.
Finally, his execution method is a handgun. Maximilian calls the minion over, and then puts a bullet into the minion’s head. Execution of a minion boosts nearby minion’s stats by 5.
Cheap tech is always nice. Let’s have a quick look at Jubei.

quote:

Jubei is the starting henchman for Maximilian.
His primary weapon is a sword, which is used with deadly efficiency. His first special move "eviscerate" does a large amount of damage with his sword, and his blade has an orange glow when it is being performed. It is interesting to note that while Jubei can use the capture command, he still hits people with the blade of his sword, but this time causing the green glow of the target that shows capture instead of the red glow which shows damage.
His second ability "windwalk" is very useful as it allows Jubei to teleport anywhere on the island, taking no more time than half a second for the animation to play through. This enables players to quickly and easily reach an important target (super agent,burglar etc') or a vital defense point (your avatar, control room etc').
Like some other henchmen, he has a bias against a particular task. In this case, Jubei will not retrieve any enemies that have been killed or knocked out by someone that isn't him.
A teleporting swordsman, not bad.

Alexis

quote:

When Alexis’s father died, bequeathing his multi-million dollar fortune and media empire to her; it would have been easy for her to conform to the tradition young heiress template, frittering the money away on wining, dining, and generally living the high life. Despite being spoiled rotten, however, Alexis was also highly motivated and intelligent with a sharp awareness of the way the world works. Her hard work and piercing intelligence saw her take the helm of her father’s media empire with aplomb, and global revenues soon quadrupled under her shrewd leadership.
However, Alexis was not without her vices. Years of being daddy’s little princess gave her a colossal ego and need for constant adoration. After a brief few years of contentment, the sycophantic praise she received from the lackeys in her company was no longer enough. Seeking a wider audience to worship her, she moved in front of the cameras and soon became America’s darling, gaining widespread acclaim for her television and movie roles. All too soon, the glamour faded. Alexis wanted more: more adulation, more wealth, more power. Alexis wanted the world.
Spoiled ecomaniac, so what does she bring in game?

quote:

Her beautiful appearance and background in media allows her to command unswerving devotion from her followers. Thus, Alexis has the largest circle of influence, and her minions' loyalty drain rate is much slower. If you choose Alexis, your starting Henchman is Eli Barracuda.
Her execution method is burning. Alexis ignites the minion with her cigarette, causing him to burst into flames. Execution of a minion boosts nearby minion’s stats by 10.
Basically everyone loves and fears her in equal measures. Eli Barracuda is her minion, so what does he bring to the table?

quote:

Super Headshot: Taking careful aim with his revolver, Eli can deal some serious damage with one shot.
Ghetto Posse: Eli's ghetto blaster pumps out a funky sound with encoded hypnotic beats, making agents involuntarily dance along and follow Eli. This ability may fail if the target has high loyalty.
Everybody dance now! Useful for leading off groups of low level minions.

Shen Yu

quote:

Shen Yu’s criminal career began on the streets of Hong Kong, and none of his street urchin peers could possibly have predicted that this humble pickpocket would eventually rise to become one of the most powerful criminal masterminds in the world. As a teenager, Shen Yu joined a local Triad gang and quickly rose up the ranks. Despite his rapid elevation, he would never have risen any further were not for a fortuitous encounter with a pair of A.N.V.I.L. agents. Shen Yu was arrested immediately for his multiple homicides. They gave him a simple choice: be an A.N.V.I.L mole, or be executed.
A.N.V.I.L implanted a communication chip inside Shen Yu’s brain so that they could spy on Triad activity, but they underestimated the resources of the Triad. After performing yet more brain surgery on him the Triads were able to reverse the chip wiring access the operating system at A.N.V.I.L. Desperate to avoid more meddling with his grey matter, Shen Yu defected and used his knowledge his chip provided to build his own criminal empire. With advance knowledge of every move A.N.V.I.L. made, he was untouchable, and soon found himself in a position to bid for world domination…
The Criminal mastermind, the only Evil genius to not start in the 1%.

quote:

Shen Yu’s nefarious international network of spies and conspirators are constantly at work, misdirecting information and gathering intelligence. If you choose Shen Yu, it takes a longer time for agents to sneak onto your island in response to your actions in the game. His starting Henchman is Lord Kane.
He has the smallest aura of influence out of the three character choices, but also has the fastest stat boosting effect. His execution weapon is a knife which he thrusts into the minion that he is killing. Execution of a minion boosts nearby minions’ stats by 7.
He’s good at his job, and will reduce heat, he’s joined by Lord Kane.

quote:

With the European aristocracy wrapped around his little finger and the unwashed masses quaking in fear at his very name, Lord Kane is both a master manipulator and deadly combatant. When he uses Smooth Operator on a super agent, the super agent is frozen in place until the super agent is knocked out or when Lord Kane arrives. This can be useful as the super agent can be attacked when frozen in place.
Lord Kane is a support agent, able to freeze super agents and make them more vulnerable.

So, we have three choices, three evil geniuses, but which one shall we play as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I always liked Alexis's starting henchman.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Lord Kain is clearly the best starting henchman, look at that hat. No one has a better hat then that (of the starting agents.)

Also, stabbing people is cathartic for evil geniuses.

But I always play as Shen Yu. So I'll second the vote for Alexis.

But we need to recruit Lord Kain as soon as possible.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Maximilian for no other reason than being the classic Bond villain.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Maximilian to start an alternate. Always liked Jubei.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'll vote for Shen Yu since they all look cool and he has the least (ie zero) votes atm.

Does his low area of influence mean he needs to take regular tours around the base?

e: switching vote to Alexis because while I didn't remember any particulars, I do know I followed the way old Evil Genius LP and it turns out Shen was our Genius that time

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 17, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A vote for Alexis, because I played her the least when I was younger.

I used to love this game; super looking forward to the sequel next year.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Well this is just a guaranteed companion to my Bond thread.

Maximilian

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Night10194 posted:

I always liked Alexis's starting henchman.

This, a dancing afro henchman sounds good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Alexis because we need that henchman in our lives

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
There is a right answer here. The right answer is Alexis. Why?

Because:

Look at this man. Look at that afro. This is a man the deserves our admiration. If he has chosen to follow Alexis, we must listen to him.

Follow the Fro. Fear the Fro.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Shen Yu is in practical terms the best one out of the three, so might as well go with him.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Maximilian's special ability doesn't work, so he's kind of the worst by default without an overhaul mod: my favorite one doubles his stat boosts to minions.

If Grey Hunter is going Vanilla come hell or highwater, I'd suggest Alexis since she has my favorite henchman and an ok-ish ability.

The game really needs mods: some minions are useless, they won't carry guns unless you put up with the yellow alert sound, some henchmen will destroy your own base...yeah. On the bright side, at least fixing the worst of it is more-or-less easy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eli Barracuda, and Alexis.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Shen-Yu for that powerful aura.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
man, i loved this game when it came out but it did not age well from a QOL perspective, there are some deeply questionable game design decisions like tourists and traps that don't really cohere well with the rest of the game, and seem to be in more for thematic reasons

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Does his low area of influence mean he needs to take regular tours around the base?

as the player you have enough to do without dragging your genius all over the base, normally i just park them somewhere high traffic and forget about them

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 16, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

as the player you have enough to do without dragging your genius all over the base, normally i just park them somewhere high traffic and forget about them

I'm guessing that means you can't set patrol routes or something for the Genius.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm guessing that means you can't set patrol routes or something for the Genius.

nope, you just sit them somewhere and their aura does its thing

it becomes very important to protect your genius later because as you piss off the world spy agencies they will try to kill you

e: call this a vote for Shen Yu because his special ability is the best of the three as well as you can eventually recruit all of the henchmen anyway

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 16, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's why you make a decoy Genius to sit somewhere looking important while the real one does work. :v:

So if you pick Shen Yu you need to do a balancing act of placing him in a place that's both high-traffic for minions but also heavily protected?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I usually pick Max since he's the closest to an old school Bond villain but as someone mentioned is special ability is bugged (not that I use them anyway) and I'm not sure if that would put a dent in Gray Hunter's plans.

So in that case I'd have to pick Alexis, she's a close second because of her huge influence radius (so I can just park her in the control room and worry about other things) and because she has always reminded me of Felicity Dumas.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's why you make a decoy Genius to sit somewhere looking important while the real one does work. :v:

:ssh:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So if you pick Shen Yu you need to do a balancing act of placing him in a place that's both high-traffic for minions but also heavily protected?

yeah, which is not hard. there are lots of places where you'll absolutely want to keep agents away from. you're just not going to be marching your genius all over the place doing stat boosting except in maybe the very early game

good spots are in the control room, security rooms, or creepily looming over your minions as they sleep

thetruegentleman posted:

The game really needs mods: some minions are useless, they won't carry guns unless you put up with the yellow alert sound, some henchmen will destroy your own base...yeah. On the bright side, at least fixing the worst of it is more-or-less easy.

if you double click the alert button the sound fades away

thank you, my brain, for remembering this pro tip but not remembering my mom's birthday

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 16, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

good spots are in the control room, security rooms, or creepily looming over your minions as they sleep

Ah, Evil ASMR, no wonder it's so effective!

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Alexis, I have not seen anyone use her before.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Voting for Alexis; IIRC the previous LP wayyyy back in the day was Shen Yu so let's try something new!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Weed Wolf posted:

Voting for Alexis; IIRC the previous LP wayyyy back in the day was Shen Yu so let's try something new!

Was it? I tried to check but it's archived here but not on The Archives so I couldn't tell. If true I'll also switch my vote.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Maximilian because Blofeld is one of the few competent evil masterminds, and cheap tech is always a strong advantage.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

mllaneza posted:

Maximilian because Blofeld is one of the few competent evil masterminds, and cheap tech is always a strong advantage.

He doesn't have cheaper tech; a bug prevents that from working.

luxury handset posted:

if you double click the alert button the sound fades away

thank you, my brain, for remembering this pro tip but not remembering my mom's birthday

Really good to know, but still annoying: much prefer to have all my construction people just carry handguns by default, except when hand-to-hand is buffed. Then it's just the scientists who get handguns.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 16, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Alexis and also now I have Barracuda stuck in my head

simplefish fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 16, 2019

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I want Barracuda so I guess I have to vote for Alexis :shrug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Shen Yu is the best master!

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
I never used Alexis, use her.

Also Lord Kane's Smooth Operator ability is busted as gently caress.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Alexis.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Funny enough I just finished another game pf this with a handfull of mods installed, like allowing you to have more minions and making missions take longer but with better results.

Play as Alexis because I always play as the other two.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Was it? I tried to check but it's archived here but not on The Archives so I couldn't tell. If true I'll also switch my vote.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3211877 yep, all the pics are dead but Shen was the voted in genius.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Weed Wolf posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3211877 yep, all the pics are dead but Shen was the voted in genius.

Alright, thanks! I'll make it official/bolded in my original vote post, but I'll switch to Alexis then.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Alexis

I never got into the game because the AI forgot how to make an entrance into the base and progress stopped.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Byers2142 posted:

There is a right answer here. The right answer is Alexis. Why?

Because:

Look at this man. Look at that afro. This is a man the deserves our admiration. If he has chosen to follow Alexis, we must listen to him.

Follow the Fro. Fear the Fro.

I mean...yeah.

Alexis

That afro, goddamn.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

thetruegentleman posted:

He doesn't have cheaper tech; a bug prevents that from working.

gently caress. Alexis it is.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
All aboard the soul train!

ALEXIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

quote:

The Criminal mastermind, the only Evil genius to not start in the 1%.

Eat the rich. Shen Yu.