Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
[]

The sickness finally broke me to the point I needed a day off. But I'm back now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[]

The Topside work continues.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Think you've trapped your dudes again

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[]

I come to the end of the above ground prep - so do I go for the evil dudes or raise my notoriety. I'm thinking of the former.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Notoriety moves events forward, so might as well do all the sidequests first. Video games teach procrastination like nothing else.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Always go for more henchman.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[]

With the relatively dull above ground work compete, I can get to work building up my notoriety quickly! Things should start moving a bit quicker from here on out!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

With the relatively dull above ground work compete, I can get to work building up my notoriety quickly! Things should start moving a bit quicker from here on out!

By that you mean 'have the island invaded by the heroic forces of good and leveled completedly', right?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree posted:

By that you mean 'have the island invaded by the heroic forces of good and leveled completedly', right?

Glad to see you've played the same game I have!

I really have never been sure the best strat for this section - but once I've cleared some of the easy land missions, I'll get the conference of evil going.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Glad to see you've played the same game I have!

I really have never been sure the best strat for this section - but once I've cleared some of the easy land missions, I'll get the conference of evil going.

Somehow once got heat extremely high and when I had a swarm of investigators around my base accidentally tagged someone with a kill order, then hit the 'red alert' bit and got a rather large melee going on.. Which in turn got the island kind of leveled. Instantly.

I liked the game! But never really played it far - I never quite figured out the UI of it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Having high heat in this game always seemed like a permanent death sentence, since the soldiers that start getting sent out must be killed (and can only be reliably killed by throwing Henchmen at them/Lord Kane cheese), which keeps your heat topped out, which sends more soldiers...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This is where my topside shelters will help - along with a veritable horde of Valets.

Distract, confuse, send home alive.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
You probably also need to start putting time clocks in your important rooms, so people don't leave them to go get stuff or whatever.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You got Ivan? You fool, he will kill us all! :negative:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[]

I start knocking over objectives thick and fast.

Slaan posted:

You got Ivan? You fool, he will kill us all! :negative:

but it will be cool to watch.

Taking the optimal path in games is BOoooring.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Might it be possibly I dunno if you're having issues with a small training room to make abig training room?

And is one guard station enough to monitor all the stuff?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It's your life insurance premium, boss :colbert:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Removed

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 31, 2019

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Your audio is all messed up for that last video. The in game audio seems fine though.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

two_step posted:

Your audio is all messed up for that last video. The in game audio seems fine though.

Dammit. the last windows update wiped my settings clean, I thought I'd fixed it but I need to take a second look it seems.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[]

Another attempt, this time with uncursed audio!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yayyy! Make sure that you have the guard stations properly setup. And is it worth it to setup another training area given the small size of the one you have functioning so you can get more minions up to decent standards?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

wedgekree posted:

Yayyy! Make sure that you have the guard stations properly setup. And is it worth it to setup another training area given the small size of the one you have functioning so you can get more minions up to decent standards?

Adding multiple training stations has... Issues.

In theory it enables you to train more than one minion in parallel. In practice, especially for perenially busy Valet minions, you risk long periods where the one available Valet minion is waiting at one desk for a student while a trainee minion is standing by the next desk over waiting for a teacher to come available...

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I don't remember this map having had a clear set of tiles at the entrance. You've dug the entire area clear out about, and I distinctly remember there being some indestructible tiles you had to contend with. Mostly, that area became a central passage area with a mixing bowl Kitchen unit. High traffic meant an easy means of recharging minions' stats during dinner.

But god, what a blast from the past. Crisp art style, crisp animation, mostly alright gameplay that tided me over until War For The Overworld came out.

EDIT: I knew it! I knew those tiles were there at the entrance! God, I remember using this site so much for planning poo poo out.

As an aside, when you want to reconsider setting up your Control Room later, consider having a 2x2 space set as a Hallway within it, or as a Lair proper, so you can plant an Evil Genius Desk there. It allows your Genius to roam about more freely, but also recharge stats at one of the most important areas you want to keep them in, surrounded by Minions that maintain your economy. That, and it looks pretty great, a centrepiece to the Control Room proper.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 31, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[]

Dinictus posted:

I don't remember this map having had a clear set of tiles at the entrance. You've dug the entire area clear out about, and I distinctly remember there being some indestructible tiles you had to contend with. Mostly, that area became a central passage area with a mixing bowl Kitchen unit. High traffic meant an easy means of recharging minions' stats during dinner.

But god, what a blast from the past. Crisp art style, crisp animation, mostly alright gameplay that tided me over until War For The Overworld came out.

EDIT: I knew it! I knew those tiles were there at the entrance! God, I remember using this site so much for planning poo poo out.

As an aside, when you want to reconsider setting up your Control Room later, consider having a 2x2 space set as a Hallway within it, or as a Lair proper, so you can plant an Evil Genius Desk there. It allows your Genius to roam about more freely, but also recharge stats at one of the most important areas you want to keep them in, surrounded by Minions that maintain your economy. That, and it looks pretty great, a centrepiece to the Control Room proper.

Forward planning? you must be new around here....

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It took forever, but the game is finally taking off its training wheels.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[]

My quest to get all the baddies continues.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Can you summarize when we get to voting what each henchy can do?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

wedgekree posted:

Can you summarize when we get to voting what each henchy can do?

Well I got permission to do so, so I might as well!

At 75 Notoriety onwards, we had gotten access to the following Henchmen:

Red Ivan is the Henchman that Grey Hunter got at the earliest convenience, and unmodded, he's a monster to contend with. He's an excellent demolitions expert which translates to him using his RPG launcher (with a little bit of leading) at targeted enemies (mind the explosive radius, as that's all collateral), a chin even Arnold Schwarzenegger would flush over, some of the greatest ability to actually steal money with, and an alright capacity to plot and plan. His skills include
Cossack Grenade Jig, which has the man do a proper Cossack kick dance, lobbing grenades around him in a short radius for even more (collateral) damage, and
Minefield, in which he lays down a fire-and-forget minefield. They are traps that can be triggered by anyone unfortunate enough not to pay attention and are triggered by a lacking Attention stat.

Colonel Blackheart is fresh from Colonial Congo and the game's only DLC, a big game hunter looking to hunt the biggest game after a tiger devoured his left leg. While not quite as beefy or strong as Ivan is (but it's close!), he packs quite the wallop, and where his fists can't connect, his blunderbuss will. He has next to no presence on the World Domination Map, but at least he makes up for that in excellent capacity to damage, a bit more mental stats than Ivan has, a unique walking sound (his metal peg leg goes tink!), and his very own monkey
Pendragon. I wasn't kidding. He has a pet monkey. He can fling his companion at a group of Agents so that they may become terrified into a blind panic.
Man Traps are Blackheart's answer to Ivan's Minefield. These traps clench around anyone's legs, sapping health, while locking them into place while any Minions or Henchmen can overwhelm them while they try to get free.

Doctor Neurocide is a tragic figure of hubris, poor decision making, and applying a foundation that changed her neurochemistry. I am not joking. She did both cosmetics development and biochemical weapons research. Her ability to plot is unparalleled, but she generates quite a bit of Heat doing so, and her capacity to fight are rather limited. Her skills, meanwhile, are
Poison Pour Homme, a perfume that drains Endurance. Useful to knock out a group of Agents, and some of the lesser Super Agents, certainly, but that's really the height of its capacity.
Hallucinogen Powder, a Smarts draining toxin. Good enough to hide, say, outdoor items with for research purposes, or to quickly eliminate the Heat from a group of Agents with accumulated evidence, but despite it being an AOE as well, it doesn't last that long.

The Matron, or dear old Elisa Krabb from Switzerland (though why is her recruitment within Sweden?), is a sadistic old biddy with a penchant for electroshock therapy, instilling Stockholm Syndrome, impeccable bedside manner, chocolate chip cookies, knitting, and Renaissance faire weaponry. Her combat capacity is surprisingly alright in a brawl, and her map presence shines in covering for Minions' Heat on the World Domination Map. Her right hand actually got bitten off by a patient, and has since then been replaced by a prosthetic tool which she exchanges for either a heavy handed mace head on a chain, or
Electroshock Therapy. "Don't taze me bro" remark aside, this weapon stuns a single target quite effectively, while also draining their Smarts. Either eliminate the gathered evidence from their memory, or lock them in place while the loyal Minions come beating down on the stunned Agent.
Motherly Love is a Henchman-to-Henchman skill that allows a targeted Henchman to use their skills faster.

At 175 Notoriety onwards, we gain access to:

Moko, an actual Incan blood guardian spirit turned vengeful mortal wanderer, out to avenge the deaths of his ancient peoples and to wage war against the civilized world at large. He is perhaps the sturdiest Henchman you could acquire, and his capacity to inflict pain is without peer, but he only has two fists and not much else. His World Domination Map presence is limited, and though he protects as well as late tier Minions, his presence instils crazy amounts of Heat. Can't even steal much worth a drat. His skills, however, do have some use.
Feral Roar is much an ability like Gather Minions: it gathers Minions to his location. But its range of effect is larger, and it also directs Minions to any tagged Agents for action. Kill, Capture, even Incapacitate, it does it all, at a rather low cooldown. Gather a group, and then let them loose at the Agents.
Monkey Pound is Moko's big hit, however. Any people caught in its radius are knocked down on the ground, and even the most hardy of Super Agents find their footing unstable. Plenty of opportunity for Minions to engage with them at range, or to close the distance for a scrap.

Montezuma is a Haïtan voodoo abuser. Very little in the way of spiritual guidance, and all about the bad mojo and the pain dolls and the hexes. Does a decent job in the kitchen too if you've got everything for a gumbo. His attacks are strongest at range (with a universal voodoo dolly), and he's an all-around average Henchman with regards to World Domination Map presence: he steals, plots, and protects from heat all equally well; mediocre. As an aside, internally within the game files, he was switched around with Montezuma for their respective names.
Voodoo Puppetry allows Monty to hijack an enemy Agent (any Agent!) into temporarily becoming allied to and taking an Evil Genius' orders. Best to do so when they're not hostile, and when they're not high on Smarts.
Voodoo Mind Fog is Monty's best skill without a doubt, as it blanks out an enemy Agent (any Agent!)'s Smarts, making them forget all existence of evidence, but also forces them off the island altogether! Works great if you target any group of Agents' leader, as then they'll all fly off! Doesn't really work on high Smarts operatives, so find a way to reduce that before siccing him on any Super Agent.

The Butcher, aka doctor Ethan Asia, is a man cursed to be quite the bloodthirsty cannibal. He meant well, at the time, but who would have known that when his last patient died on his table when his own pancreas burst, that they were a cannibal? The Butcher's blades do chip damage, but he chops swiftly so it adds up. He's more a Minion managing Henchman, rather. plotting excellently and creating little Heat on the World Domination Map. His skills reflect this to a degree too.
Facade of Normality allows the good doctor to slip in to enemy Agents invisible and untargetable into the fray of Agents that would otherwise shoot on sight. Still, his Health and Stamina only last him that long.
Terror Tactics, however, is a rather useful skill. It locks down the stats of all Minions in an area of effect. No drainage, no recovery, nothing. Need minions to stay put at the security consoles in the Armory? Or the Control Room? He'll keep your lads in check, yes sir.

At 300 Notoriety onwards, we gain access to:

The Great Mesmero is a man with a gift for mind reading, applied suggestive coercion, and reading peoples' facial and kinetic expression to a tee. It's a right shame that he had realized his life was mostly wasted and spent on nothing in particular until he discovered and honed his gift. A true Napoleon Complex on this man, backed with a new-found capacity for showmanship. His combat skills are meagre, but his World Domination Map skills are surprisingly good: high stealing, alright plotting, low Heat generated, decent coverage of Heat. His skills include
Willpower Drain, with which Mesmero saps Loyalty (or Health if Agents were tagged for death) in a sizeable area, and usually so strongly that Agents will act like Tourists for a decent chunk of their time on your island.
Telepathic Mind Control allows you to directly control any Agent, Super Agent, or even Freaks as any Henchman. Send Agents out to fight Agents (which does nothing besides thin numbers and add to their Heat), or Super Agents against Super Agents (infinitely more useful). Mind that this won't work on high Smarts targets.

At 400 Notoriety, we can choose another Henchman previously not yet selected. Finally, at 225 and 360 Notoriety we gain access to the other two Evil Geniuses' Henchmen, Lord Kane and Jubei.

Lord Kane is Shen-Yu's Henchman, and is a Mastermind in his own right. He is supposedly responsible for a majority of the various political and sociological plots and sabotages from the 1900's onwards, and still instils fear wherever he makes himself known. His World Domination Map presence is excellent: he steals and plots excellently, he produces zero Heat, and can really help uncover all Acts of Infamy with a team of sufficient social Minions and science Minions. As an aside, he's actually identified within the game files as the mythical criminal Kaiser Soze, from The Usual Suspects.
Psychic Terror can send any Agent (or any group of Agents!) into a right panic. High Smarts protects, sure, but most actual gun-toting Soldiers tend not to have that kind of defense.
Smooth Operator is capital B Broken. Kane easily sidles up to any Agent (any Agent!) and distracts them while conversing with them at length. Meanwhile, your Minions and Henchmen can pummel the target without fear for retribution. Perfect for Super Agents, since they can disable Henchmen permanently.

Jubei is Maximillian's Henchman, and is a modern-day ronin that has an entire dojo's leadership's deaths on his conscience, but Jubei isn't too particularly bothered about that. Jubei is the deadliest melee combatant you can recruit, even outperforming Eli, Moko, Ivan and the Matron by 50%. Still, his attacks do come in slowly, so he's not that great against shooty groups. His World Domination Map presence is middling, but that's probably not what you got him for, anyway. His skills similarly reflect this, with his
Wind Walk allowing Jubei to swiftly teleport to any point at all on the island map. Respond to immediate threats such as thieves, assassins, or even Super Agents. This ties in neatly to his other ability,
Eviscerate, which deals massive damage to a single target. Even Super Agents can be reasonably taken down with this ability, but remember that Jubei's strokes come in slow.

And while we already have the man in our employ, we might as well finish this off with

Eli Barracuda, Alexis' Henchman. He's an All-American 70's gangster in a 50's world, and a trendsetter in more ways than one. He also did manage to hold control over most of NYC until murdering the puppet mayor he had entirely in his pocket. Because he spilled coffee over Eli's cream coloured suit. What a man. He's as dangerous as he is at range as he is in a brawl, and he steals almost without equal on the World Domination Map, as effective as five Construction Workers with only the Heat of three. Poor plotting, however, and he's arguably the weakest starter Henchman.
Super Headshot is about as effective as Jubei's Eviscerate, but it's ranged. Same cooldown too! Just takes a long while to line up the shot.
Ghetto Posse actually is somewhat useful, I find. Taking out a boombox, he leads any Agents (any Agent!) along for a trip behind him as long as their Loyalty isn't too high, dancing and snapping fingers behind Eli. Lead them out of your base, lead them into a tunnel towards your trapped Freezer hallway, or just be cool.

We're currently sitting at 210 Notoriety, so our choices are TWO of either Colonel Blackheart, Doctor Neurocide, The Matron, Moko, Montezuma or The Butcher. Additionally, at 225 Notoriety, we can choose either Lord Kane or Jubei.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 3, 2019

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
And as for personal picks for two Henchmen and the next Genius Henchman, I'd say Colonel Blackheart and The Matron (though Moko is also good for that one), and Lord Kane.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Dinictus posted:

And as for personal picks for two Henchmen and the next Genius Henchman, I'd say Colonel Blackheart and The Matron (though Moko is also good for that one), and Lord Kane.

Yes do this.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wil lgo for Moko and then [b]Montezuma[/]

How can we call ourselves an evil genius i we don't have someone who specializes in hypnosis? Or giant top hat? Third torn between Mesmero and Lord Kane just as they both have awesome abilities.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Just so you know, CTRL+Click tags an entire squad of agents, no need to issue tags one at a time. You might also consider using the barracks as a hallway, so you can stuff them with lockers.

The only place you should use lethal traps is at places like the powerplant, freezer, and vault: the powerplant because any agents who get there will need to be killed quickly regardless, and the vault because agents love it and losing a few workers is no big deal, so you can go bananas with the flamethrower pirhanna sharks.

Everywhere else should be things like chained non-lethal windtraps into smart traps, so you can at least get money when your minions get blown away with the agents. Also, you can set the traps to sensors in the command room and you can have them going off all the time, even when agents would otherwise avoid triggering them; great for the traps in shacks.

Anyhow, I recommend The Matron, Kane, and/or Jubei. Matron is just generally useful (covers heat, targets smarts, boosts later henchmen with long cooldowns,) Kane has that Smooth Operator, Jubei can nuke down super-agents.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

wedgekree posted:

Wil lgo for Moko and then Montezuma[/]

How can we call ourselves an evil genius i we don't have someone who specializes in hypnosis? Or giant top hat? Third torn between Mesmero and Lord Kane just as they both have awesome abilities.
I like their names and Kane.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Gonna vote for The Butcher, because better the serial killer you know than one you don't.

e: I thought I'll just vote for one since I wasn't sure about all three but actually, another vote for Lord Kane and Blackheart

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 4, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[]

Lets get the council of evil together!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[]

Time to do some researching! And see if someone wants to steal the not fake inflatable research machine!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[]

Next on the list - the next two tiers of Minions!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

This game was wonderful, but I never got past the worst stumbling block because I was young and didn't really understand how to play. moving to the second island is super harsh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Huh. Seems you missed picking your Henchman because you stalled picking them earlier.

Thanks for keeping track of that, game.