Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I don't think I ever actually finished this back in the day, but after seeing you almost accidentally rip open your own money vault, I'm reminded of once making an open plan base. No hallways. No doors. No walls.

I mean there were distraction shacks and a false corridor and a secured entryway, but anyone who got past that and into the base proper would get swarmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Kobal2 posted:

The only workable way to construct the base is for it to be two-tiered : a zone up front with all the non-suspicious rooms (peppered with lots of fake heavily locked doors in snaking corridors to waste agents' time) and an unassuming corridor at the back leading into the sooper sikrit eeeevil rooms.

A trick that works pretty well, which Grey hasn't used, to reduce unnecessary to-and-fro between the public/private base to a minimum is to have the treasury be only accessible by door from the deepest recesses of the private base but have a two-wide hole in its wall right in the entrance hallway. Build the suitcase rack there, facing outwards, and minions can deposit and withdraw moolah without having to enter the base at all which speeds things up considerably ; but agents won't pass through or be able to see the piles of ill-gotten gains. The rack itself isn't suspicious, so it's really the perfect setup.
I'm vaguely recalling that a lot of this game was basically just grappling with the pathfinding, and the more I think about it, the more I get the feeling that my old open plan base may have been done out of anger at said pathfinding

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Think you've trapped your dudes again

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

oh yeah, trying to punch someone who's in a dead sprint is another whole thing in this, isn't it?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Dinictus posted:

Basically, an area you cannot walk into, but where you do have space where items can be placed. Like that Dojo-sized hole behind the Dojo and between your Firing Ranges.

Any Agent or Super Agent will teleport around the island via hidden hatches, explicitly to enter those inaccessible areas. Note that to get out, they'll teleport via the same way out, but can (and will) get into areas with locked or guarded doors past any security you've set up.

If they're Saboteurs and Super Agents with missions for sabotage, they'll break their way out.
I thought I saw potential for some of that training room arrangement to come back and bite Grey but I wasn't expecting to this extent.

can it be exploited?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

It begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

.......hold on.

Can this:

Dinictus posted:

Basically, an area you cannot walk into, but where you do have space where items can be placed. Like that Dojo-sized hole behind the Dojo and between your Firing Ranges.

Any Agent or Super Agent will teleport around the island via hidden hatches, explicitly to enter those inaccessible areas. Note that to get out, they'll teleport via the same way out, but can (and will) get into areas with locked or guarded doors past any security you've set up.

If they're Saboteurs and Super Agents with missions for sabotage, they'll break their way out.
And this:

Scalding Coffee posted:

All that unused space for evil, yet your schemes are being defeated by a tiny room with too much bullion.
Combine to cause disastrous consequences?

like, bullion bodyblocking creating emergent agent entry points?