Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Humanity built the Cylons, robotic workers who took the stress and strain out of day to day living, performing the menial and dahour jobs that no human wanted to do. They were the perfect slaves.
Right up until they realised that they were slaves.

The Cylon war has been going on for four years now, with the twelve colonies and the Cylons both amassing large fleets. Both sides have lost many ships and many battles, and a deadlock has set in - neither side can get an advantage, and the war seems set to go on for many years to come.

This is about to change….

What is Battlestar Galactica Deadlock?

BSGD as I’m going to call it from here on is a turn based, we-go space tactical combat game - in which you will perform missions, fight the cylons, then manage your ships and crew - all while trying to keep the 12 colonies happy - as they are the ones funding your war.

The original campaign has 14 missions, but there are several DLC, and the latest one is starting what the devs are calling “season 2” - so there is strong support to continue supporting the game.

How will this work.

First up - Pyramid cards on the table - I’ve not played this before, and I’ve just been given the game and DLC by Slitherine. But it looks right up our street!

So, I, Admiral Grey Hunter, will take control of the mighty fleet of the Colonial Navy (gods bless their souls). After I have finished getting half the fleet blown up, I will come back to you for advice on the strategic situation.

This will include such perils as what ships to build, and what we should do to keep the 12 colonies happy - because, in an X-com style mode, if we screw over a colony, we will take a budget cut.

[b]As This is a blind run. Please do not post spoilers about the game - let’s not ruin the surprise when the toasters slam into us with three times our number in Base Stars.

Part 1 - Assuming command!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Wow, way to start off the thread with a slur in the title! :psylon:

Seriously though, looking forward to following this!

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Who's keeping track of the grey LP counter? its at 5 by my count
(WiTP, WiTE, RTW2, Evil Genius, and now Galactica)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Horsebanger posted:

You missed Field of Glory Empires......

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

As a lot of games do, in mission 2, they give me a big ship, only to take it away from me at the end.....

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Okay once they've appeared to throw in musings on the ships seen so far? And general thoughts on game mechanics/tactics?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Horsebanger posted:

New theory, magic is real and Grey Hunter has stolen a time-turner from Hogwarts.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I visit Caprica and annoy the Locals.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The Adamant and the Manticore are going to be the basic early game combo for ships.

The Manticore is a fast corvette/scout that has the best turn radius/speed, and missiles. Most weapons are fore. Useful for hit and run and harrassment.

Adamant is a light cruiser. Almost all weapons are broadsides. Has missiles, squadron of fighters.

Early game 'stacking' Adamants is an effective tactic as they all go and maneuver at separate 'heights' atop one another and twirl to broadside each facing, giving one another cover. That gives them ability to put large scale fire on most enemy ships early game.

Raptors are your 'support' craft. They can board friendly ships to boost them, harrass enemy ships, fire rockets, or otherwise give buffs. On the loadout screen at the start of combat you can switch out fighters and munitions with what you have.

I tend to if I have a missile barrage at a light ship just go full on defense if I have to tank it. Daedaulus has two squadrons of fighters - don't hesitate to throw them into the mix!

Good playing Grey! And good luck.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 20, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree posted:

The Adamant and the Manticore are going to be the basic early game combo for ships.

The Manticore is a fast corvette/scout that has the best turn radius/speed, and missiles. Most weapons are fore. Useful for hit and run and harrassment.

Adamant is a light cruiser. Almost all weapons are broadsides. Has missiles, squadron of fighters.

Early game 'stacking' Adamants is an effective tactic as they all go and maneuver at separate 'heights' atop one another and twirl to broadside each facing, giving one another cover. That gives them ability to put large scale fire on most enemy ships early game.

Raptors are your 'support' craft. They can board friendly ships to boost them, harrass enemy ships, fire rockets, or otherwise give buffs. On the loadout screen at the start of combat you can switch out fighters and munitions with what you have.

I tend to if I have a missile barrage at a light ship just go full on defense if I have to tank it. Daedaulus has two squadrons of fighters - don't hesitate to throw them into the mix!

Good playing Grey! And good luck.

All good advice - while most I got myself, I did forget about the bloody fighters on the Daedalus!

Tomorrow I'll give you guys some options in how we fight the war, how we build our fleets and the like.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You don't seem to have bread, but perhaps you could try inserting your ships into the toasters? With that Boost Thrusters option, obviously.

Maybe they'll go away if you just let them toast something.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right we have some operational choices and some build choices!

Here is what we can build, and how much resources we have to build it.

The current status of the colonies.

Intel. trust it as much as you dare.

And the plotting table.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Personally, I go for a full strength 'fleet' as far as points allow for first priority.

Enemy fleets are going to be composed of Talons and Nemesis ships. Probably of 3-4 ships apiece. Even in one battle where we just faced three enemy corvettes we ended up with having one of our own crippled.

The Daedalus has three 'slips' it can construct ships in at a time. Until a slip is freed, any other ships in backlog will have to wait for one to start on construction. Also before a battle you can switch out munitions/fighters in ships deployed so this can come into play with tactics (you can get info on what you can put in in the loadouts screen).

Remember to always repair ships after battle too.

At this point in war, I would tentatively go for a 1:2 ratio of frigates to corvettes. 1 Adda Frigate and 2 Vettes with her as a quick squadron. This can engage at least a small cylon patrol fleet and hold it's own.

I would argue for trying to build up the fleet strength of the Daedalus task force to a full seven ships (fleet logitistcs points depending of course) for our first priority. So if it can fit a total of three frigates and four destroyers. This gives us a fleet that can engage any task force that we've seen the Toasters deploy so far and have local superiority. Three Frigates can gie long range broadsides by 'stacking' on one another and go at loops to engage the toasters while the corvettes act as screens/missile pickets. Five squadrons of fighters should be able to annihilate most of what the Toasters can put out to gain local superiority and then go for airstrikes. Fighters should be set if possible when missiles are detected to 'defend' targeted ship if they are in interception range.

Enemy fleets should be engaged at leisure. This is the point to try and build up our main fleet and keep the system secure. Intel says that the Cylons are throwing in lots of raiders, so our options are limited to targets of opportunity. I would realistically say to engage and try and keep inhabited planets clear as best possible while we build up to a full fleet of seven ships. At that point we can see how we're doing and whether we want to make a breakout of the system (to the gas giant). For now, build forces, engage the cylons as local fire superiority permits. Do not rush ships - build them. Haven't done point calcs for how much this would 'take' but we have 4000 points for now I think. THis lets us build up a Tilium reserve and get our first patrol squadron some experience.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Not bad. Remember to always repair your fleets at start of turn! And the Cylons keep on pumping out fresh raider fleets all the time. So you'll never 'secure' a system. Long term might want to have your second fleet get up to maybe 2 Accs and 3 Vettes so it can be a patrol squadron in that sector until you can reinforce. If Daedalus is at full strength, no reason can't go for the next campaign op.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice fighting! Soon to break out of the loose blockade along the system and see if you can't try and get back to a place of safety to build up Colonial Command and Control.

Also if your fleet is heavily outgunned in a fight before it begins I think you have the option to retreat at a very high cost in Tilium to escape combat. Worth it sometimes toa void losing ships in a fight you can't win.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Well, good job, Grey Hunter. You´ve managed to pique my interest in this game and I´ll probably pick it up with expansions/DLC at the end of the month.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I haven't heard of this game before. How would you rate it so far? Fun/not fun?

EDIT: Also, I'm only watching part 5 but the (admittedly excellent) battle music is so loud compared to your voice that I have no real idea what you're doing.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 26, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The difficulty spikes a bit.

Arcturas posted:

I haven't heard of this game before. How would you rate it so far? Fun/not fun?

EDIT: Also, I'm only watching part 5 but the (admittedly excellent) battle music is so loud compared to your voice that I have no real idea what you're doing.

I'm enjoying it, It'll be interesting to see how it feels with better ships. the fleets are a little small, which is my only real criticism so far.

Weird, It sounds okay at my end.I'll try with headphones on to balance the next one I do.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

and I’ve just been given the game and DLC by Slitherine.

You must be rising in people's estimation if you're being chosen for such things. This and Fantasy general 2...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bloodly posted:

You must be rising in people's estimation if you're being chosen for such things. This and Fantasy general 2...

Yeah, I think I'm on their influencer list now, so hopefully I'll get a stream of new games to show off to you guys.

I'm hopeful for Panzer Corps 2...

You have also reminded me I need to play some more Fantasy General II, mainly because I'm enjoying playing it!

Speak of the devil. Review code is out.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 27, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Movement is slow, so I'm crawling towards the new missions.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The game is slow at buildup - also as it feels weird that you can only deploy.. Seven ships? So making big, sprawling task forces doesn't lend itself to the game. The first missions can be tricky. Good luck with buildup!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

FYI to anyone lurking, the game is on sale on steam right now.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
The also released a new DLC that comes with a free update containing such things as "box-selecting and moving multiple ships" and "putting fighters in control-groups".
So if you felt the controls were a bit clunky, it just got better.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hmm, I supposedly have been playing with this DLC since day one.....

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Hmm, I supposedly have been playing with this DLC since day one.....

Maybe the content DLC, but I guess the Command update only released on the 29th? Do you have Resurrection?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nuramor posted:

Maybe the content DLC, but I guess the Command update only released on the 29th? Do you have Resurrection?

I think so, I was sent all the DLC.

I'm doing some more missions tomorrow, so we'll see if things change!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The new CnC patch makes things a LOT easier to control.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Torpedos are basic long range standoff. They have almost no ability to maneuver or track. At long range about anything can evade them if going on engines. Do a lot more damage than missiles and useful against bigger targets that can't move. But, also rqeuire a lot more care to aim and launch to make sure they hit and the target doesn't evade.

And on promotions I personally dump everything into fleet points. But, that's more my playstyle.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 31, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nicely fought!

You can use 'boost thrusters' on your corvettes when they get mauled to disengage. But in massed missile salvos, casualties are hard - the first salvo will nearly cripple one corvette. They won't survive another. And you don't have real effectie ways of dealing with missiles.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 2, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Two part fleets are attacked before I can combine them - can they hold out?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Congratulations on the two hard fought victories! Now you have a fleet which is mostly dead in the water but combined and hoping that the Cylons don't attack you next turn. Also theoretically if they do you can emergency jump out if you have enough tillium. That is probably better if you need to than having an entire fleet be destroyed in a skirmish when you're already having major supply issues. But, ships should be experienced from all thsoe kills!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

At least you don't have the reinforcement pack active so you're safe from Cerastes. Try keeping the Daedalus anchored at one of the member planets, It will increase it's rating and get you more Tylium.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I get a few missions under my belt - I'm getting an Idea how to work this now, but I wonder if it's to late....

Nuramor posted:

At least you don't have the reinforcement pack active so you're safe from Cerastes. Try keeping the Daedalus anchored at one of the member planets, It will increase it's rating and get you more Tylium.

I have everything.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Cerastes are [spoiler]DENY EVERYTHING XXXX[/b]

Grey asked for no 'spoilers'. I will beget him.

But! Keep Daedalus anchored if you can somewhere centrally so you can make ships/send them places. Build up fleet. Save RP's to buy more blueprints and build ships. And fleets. Cover sector by sector.