Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

A few much needed fleet upgrades are bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Congrats! You have a.. Derelect Corvette. Sanity makes me presume that the debris of the old one was scavenged to make up a new one as a ship that badly damaged isn't even worth the scuttling charges it would take to make her debris.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 5, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dammit, that could have gone better!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Hard fight! You handled it well. I think the game does have a bit of.. Well, the point size of Cylon fleets seems to spike pretty badly compared to what you can field. which is one of the issues I had with this game and could never quite get far into it. I'm also horrendous at these kinds of games - but when it can routinely outgun you by this much and you also have limited ability to make your own fleets bigger.. it turns into feeling too much like you're constantly treading water rather than making progress.

So, I'd suggest just hunker down. Presume the Quorum will stabilize if you lose too many places and you'll get some chance to breathe again - at the cost of lostincome but you can rebuild your fleets slowly and then expand. The game at least slows the pace if you're losing too badly.

And the Manticores seem to be hitting the dusk of thier service life. A single salvo of massed missile fire will mission kill them and if not the next head on exchange with guns will. They're unfortunately hitting the point where they go down in one barrage even against Cylon ships of the same equivalency due to massed firepower. But they still are the ship you can produce the fastest and the cheapest. And sometimes that counts more than anything else.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, they are under gunned and under armored now, I've been phasing them out when I can for a while - the fact they have not fighters is also a pain, when fighters kick rear end!

I think I need to try and get a few random missions under my belt, take out that special mission with my main fleet, and try and have a fleet in each system.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, flat out I think you can probably afford to hold two sectors at the moment. At least in early game that's what I found I could tentatively do. I used one max strenght fleet (generally with Daedalus) and two mid srength fleets I could switch around if one system got too hot. Also that means theoretically if an optional mission comes up you can throw a fleet into it quickly and not spread things thin.

Also personally I hope some of the S2 stuff they do is letting you have more max ships in a fleet. I'm not sure why you can only have 7 'fleet' ships in one but as high points as your 'admiral' can support. I'd think that so long as the maximum points stays the same that won't unbalance the system that much when it's pretty clear the Cylons aren't beholden to the limits and it means that you can experiment with more types of fleets and tactics. It gets expensive to do so mind but possibly fun.

2 Manticores, 3 Adamants,2 Rangers, then if you can afford one an Artemis as a command ship. The Manticores are scouts/pickets, the Adamants are your main hitters, and the Rangers sit in the tail end and fire rockets. If I was good enough at the game to get that far/afford that fleet I think it'd be good for early to mid game. Also there's the whole 'ge enough fleet points to fill it out' issue..

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
The enemy fleet strength varies between the player weakest and strongest fleet. From what I know, they also only use ships that are equivalent to the ships the player has unlocked in their research tree.
Also as a tip, because I've seen you fly them below enemy ships: A Manticores main gun is situated below its 'nose'. It cannot shoot above itself at a sharp angle.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Sound for the latest video is messed up. Game audio is fine, your commentary isn't alas!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Is it just for me or does part 18 cut off in the middle of combat?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Nuramor posted:

Is it just for me or does part 18 cut off in the middle of combat?

Did for me. I thought the recording ran out of time and would be cotninued this one. Is the commentary audible for you or is it just me?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

wedgekree posted:

Did for me. I thought the recording ran out of time and would be cotninued this one. Is the commentary audible for you or is it just me?

I tried it earlier and the audio did have issues, but apparently Grey removed it in the meantime. Lets just wait a bit.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah. Something screwy is going on. Thing keep messing up even when I test the stream.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Cool, hope it can be fixed and go up! Can't wait to see how the Pocket Battlestar works.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Please be okay, please be okay.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Spoiler; It works!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree posted:

Spoiler; It works!

I'll kill you.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

I'll kill you.

WORTH IT

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Thanks for playing this. I have the game but not the DLC, however I just don't have time to play it and it is 200% my jam. So I am living vicariously through this LP!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

Thanks for playing this. I have the game but not the DLC, however I just don't have time to play it and it is 200% my jam. So I am living vicariously through this LP!

Glad you are enjoying it!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 9, 2019

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Seems like you were recording over something that wasn't being broadcast. You were talking over through a fight that wasn't on the screen (afraid fo losing an Adamant) while you were on the strategic map. Guess the recording overlapped with the audio?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree posted:

Seems like you were recording over something that wasn't being broadcast. You were talking over through a fight that wasn't on the screen (afraid fo losing an Adamant) while you were on the strategic map. Guess the recording overlapped with the audio?

~This is a re-record, so I may have grabbed the wrong audio file.

I need to start double checking this poo poo. I'm getting sloppy! (I'm blaming the sick wife and having to look after the kid for every waking second all weekend.)

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

~This is a re-record, so I may have grabbed the wrong audio file.

I need to start double checking this poo poo. I'm getting sloppy! (I'm blaming the sick wife and having to look after the kid for every waking second all weekend.)

No problem, kiddo takes priority. So, did the two Adamants survive?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

replaced the video with a hopefully working one.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Enjoy that rare phase where you have local supeeriority! Also don't forget to keep cycling out all your Vipers to the Mk 2's unless you want some variety. And good luck with the Rangers. Remember to keep them behind your lines. And once they're out of missiles, they die quick.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We meet a new type of Cylon ship - one that is not going to be fun to fight.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
You've met the new friends!

You're starting to run into more Cylons than just thier frigates.

The Revenants - Death. Two of them in one turn basically killed an Adamant while your entire fleet was firing at them, as well as all your viper squadrons, and you unloaded all missile tubes. Death. At this point of the game, priority ONE target. They live, you die. They can make a ship disintegrate faster than a network can cancel a show you like.

Cerastes - the first specialized Cylon ship seen. Bsaically they're CLAA's. Slaughter fighters. Not especially dangerous on thier own - but have lots and lot so flight batteries. If you expect to use your Vipers to slag everything, they will kill them super fast. Tough, lot sof guns, but if up against another ship will generally lose. Still dangerous - they can easily take out full wings of Vipers in a single turn or two. If you're using fighters, take them out quick.

Celestra - weird support ship. no weapons. Can deliver two 'support' things by Raptor. Either armor plating or missile reloads. Can only deliver to a single 'facing' of a single ship if armor. range is limited with their raptor deliveries, can only do one per turn. Situational, I never used them much.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Also you playing with the Reinforcements pack or not?

What expansions you have on?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've got all the packs on I think.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Things go a bit wrong.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Future deathmissile spam - remember you can set the Battlestar to do 'Flak' which kills some missiles, or set Viper squadrons to 'defend' and they will intercept some!

Nemesis/Talons have the same missile reload time you do - three rounds for your main ships. So you can time when to go defensive or setup flak.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, flak should be useful - I forget its anti missile as well.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
No problem! We forget things. Don't think you've researched the anti-mine or chaff thing (or if that's a loadout you can swap to the Raptors). But, flak can be used to intercept missiles, fighters set on 'defend'.. you can set them to 'defend area' if there's a big interceptoin point between the fleets.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The next story mission unlocks chaff and I think that's going to be key.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

The next story mission unlocks chaff and I think that's going to be key.

Chaff just requires good timing to use and a willingness to micro your raptors. Also get an idea for how fast missiles go and what ranges are. So you have an idea how to time it!

And we going to get some Fantasy General II soon?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree posted:

Chaff just requires good timing to use and a willingness to micro your raptors. Also get an idea for how fast missiles go and what ranges are. So you have an idea how to time it!

And we going to get some Fantasy General II soon?

I've got some videos on my channel = I just restarted the campaign for the release candidate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miNN5dOkR9A

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

I've got some videos on my channel = I just restarted the campaign for the release candidate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miNN5dOkR9A

Cool! Nice playing, ow on those Adamants. Even small ships can kill with massed fire. Just noticed you hand't played Fantasy General II in a few days! So hoping that as your sanity permits you can do another one soon!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A new one today I forgot to upload and another in the can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

A new one today I forgot to upload and another in the can!

Yay! Will go ahead and watch. Fun to watch! Will keep an eye out for this game when it's on sale and I have some cash.

Also ow on those Adamants. That was messy. Good luck in the future. We might be nearing the point where Adamants are going to be the new Manticores..

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 15, 2019