Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Yesterday, I came home to a sternly worded letter from the Ministry of the Attorney General, informing me that I was legally required to fill out a handy lil' questionnaire that would determine my eligibility for jury duty somewhere along the line. Failure to fill this out would result in legal action, which, ironically, might preclude me from serving on any jury in the future.

At any rate, one section explains that I can be excluded if I have committed certain crimes but that other straight summary offences would not bar me from jury duty. Examples that the Attorney General provided were:

1) Participating in an unlawful lottery scheme — Section 207(3)(b)
2) Participating in an unlawful lottery scheme on an international cruise ship — Section 207.1(3)(b)
3) Interference with the saving of wreck — Section 438(2)
4) Operation with low blood drug concentration – 320.14(4)
5) Dealing in marked timber or lumbering equipment of another person — Section 339(2)

Other than the extreme specificity of the list (which is roughly fifty items), it's suggested that this list is exhaustive.

Anyway! It gave me the idea for this thread, which is where you post your favourite dumb laws, criminal proceedings, law-related foibles and the like.

For example, did you know that most fun comics in Canada are illegal? More specifically, "Section 163, 1b of the Criminal Code of Canada makes it a crime to possess, print, publish, or sell a crime comic if you are possessing that comic for the purposes of sale", where "crime comic" is any comic that depicts crime. Like, at all.

Here is an article about pigs being on trial.

For the purposes of keeping threads a little neater and also keeping moods lighter, really unnerving trials should go into the Unnerving Story thread, people who do stupid poo poo and go to jail should be in AUG, Schadenfreude, or in a shoebox where no one can see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

This is my thread now children

quote:

Leonard v. Pepsico, Inc., 88 F. Supp. 2d 116, (S.D.N.Y. 1999), aff'd 210 F.3d 88 (2d Cir. 2000), more widely known as the Pepsi Points Case, is a contracts case tried in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York in 1999, in which the plaintiff, John Leonard, sued PepsiCo, Inc. in an effort to enforce an "offer" to redeem 7,000,000 Pepsi Points for an AV-8 Harrier II jump jet (valued at $33.8 million at the time) which PepsiCo had shown in a portion of a televised commercial that PepsiCo argued was intended to be humorous. The plaintiff did not collect 7,000,000 Pepsi Points through the purchase of Pepsi products, but instead sent a certified check for $700,008.50 as permitted by the contest rules. Leonard had 15 existing points, paid $0.10 a point for the remaining 6,999,985 points, and a $10 shipping and handling fee.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The Supreme Court of the United States has legally decided that tomatos are a vegetable. Nik v Hedden was based around a recently introduced tariff that applied to all imported vegetables but exempted imported fruit. A New York greengrocer sued the New York customs office to get Tomatoes exempted on the grounds that tomatoes are botanically a fruit. The case went all the way to the supreme court. The arguments for both sides consisted of them reading various dictionary entries not just for tomatoes but for parsnips, peas, carrots, cucumbers etc. The Supreme Court gave a unanimous ruling that tomatoes are legally a vegetable.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Not to be confused with Reagan’s attempt to classify ketchup and relish as vegetables as an attempt to “diversify” school lunches

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Under New Zealand’s Marine Mammals Protection regulations, you can cop a fine of NZ$10,000 if you “make any loud or disturbing noise near whales".

Not sure what qualifies as “disturbing”, but probably best not to imitate a Japanese whaling fleet in our waters.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In California animals are banned from mating in public within 1500 feet of a school, bar, or church

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Tony Snark posted:

In California animals are banned from mating in public within 1500 feet of a school, bar, or church

i looked this up and apparently cats and dogs need a permit to mate, but only in ventura county.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

cash crab posted:

i looked this up and apparently cats and dogs need a permit to mate, but only in ventura county.

I think I know what this means, but I don't want to actually look it up and spoil my mental image of a harried city clerk tiredly signing off on yet another amorous cat/dog couple.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:laffo:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Spike from Tom and Jerry standing next to a cat, saying "I'm just tryin' to get a little pussy here!"

Not sure whether that's funnier if the cat is the female cat Tom was sometimes after, or just Tom with a worried expression on his face.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think I know what this means, but I don't want to actually look it up and spoil my mental image of a harried city clerk tiredly signing off on yet another amorous cat/dog couple.

ITS SHORT FOR FORNICATION UNDER CONSENT OF CLERK

THAT? YEAH ITS SHORT FOR SIPP UNDER CONSENT OF CLERK

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

stamps form while sighing i guess the cat can gently caress

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

cash crab posted:

stamps form while sighing i guess the cat can gently caress

*is at the end of a long shift on a Friday afternoon*

Sorry, your cat can't gently caress this weekend. Come back on Monday and maybe Steve will have the right forms for you to fill out.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It is illegal to advertise on a tombstone in Maine.

So if you want to murder enough people to create a Burma Shave jingle, don't do it in Maine :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sometime in 2015 Iceland repealed some ancient law that allowed Spaniards to be killed on sight. I think that’s a huge win for ethnic tolerance ok the island.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

buglord posted:

Sometime in 2015 Iceland repealed some ancient law that allowed Spaniards to be killed on sight. I think that’s a huge win for ethnic tolerance ok the island.

Spaniards or people from Spain?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

AGGGGH BEES posted:

It is illegal to advertise on a tombstone in Maine.

So if you want to murder enough people to create a Burma Shave jingle, don't do it in Maine :v:

A lawful life
But I'm not brave
I'll break the law
Beyond the grave

Burma Shave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Breaking out of prison is actually legal in Germany (and I think a bunch of other countries too) because the law figures that the urge to be free is an essential feature of humanity that can’t be punished. If you manage to get out of prison and they rearrest you later, you simply have to spend the rest of your original term in the clink - unless you damaged something or did other illegal stuff in the course of your breakout, that is, because then they’ll add some time for that