Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Donnerberg posted:

I have good news! The hackermans in Matrix 4 - The Matrix Rebooted are so over leather and bondage costumes. Their alter egos will now wear full Steampunk attire to look cool.
[Neo pops his cogwheel monocle]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I saw the first Matrix completely blind as well. All I knew about it was "it's something to do with virtual reality?" Was blown away by the actuality.

Can't imagine that now, when the entire objective of movie publicity is to make drat sure you know exactly what you're going to get, and you've probably already seen 5-10 minutes of footage via clips.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Best' example of hysterical UK censorship was when a tabloid panic over "ninja weapons" resulted in one of the Ninja Turtles movies being cut because it featured nunchucks being whirled. Except they weren't actually nunchucks, they were a string of sausages.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

Matrix 1 is so loving good, I was really happy that I saw in in theaters completely blind except for that one ad of a baby hooked up the machinery and that it was a sci-fi movie with Keanu Reeves.
"Something about virtual reality" was literally all I knew about it going in. (I happened to be visiting the States at the time, and had seen zero hype or publicity about it back home.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Shard posted:

One thing that surprised me the most with this trailer is how good everything looks. The lighting and cinematography is so different from what they went for in the originals but still looks good. I'm interested in seeing this.

One of my favorite things going into the first Matrix was having no idea what was happening. Like I had no idea it was about being in a computer generated world so I totally bought into the What is the Matrix tag. This isn't quite there for me but I'm excited about the questions I have. And the fact that it looks good makes me interested in finding out.
Yeah, the trailer looks spectacular. It's an explosion of pin-sharp hyperreal colours this time rather than murky green (Matrix) and grey (real world), and I'm all for it.

Add me to the list of 'people who went into The Matrix in 1999 knowing almost nothing about it' and being blown away. "Something to do with virtual reality?" was as much as I had. Absolutely the best way to see it for the first time.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Imagine if that had made it into the movies and you had characters solemnly discussing "the Bip". "Trinity was a product of the Bip." "Neo was brought back to us by the Bip."

Second only to "Supreme Leader Snoke" as a name no serious actor should ever have to say.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Robot Style posted:

At the very least, the character of Switch shows they were thinking about it in some capacity while making the first movie. Too bad they didn't follow through with having the character played by different gendered actors inside/outside the Matrix, but maybe the new one will have a character like that?
I'm not sure it was the Wachowskis not following through, but more late 90s studio execs going "wait, weird sex-change poo poo in an action movie? Ew, no, ew!" Things have (hopefully) changed in 20+ years.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Necrothatcher posted:

Cypher says he wants to be a famous actor so there probably is.
The machines were ready to reinsert him as Joey Pantoliano, star of mid-90s movies like Bound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've never seen either gremlins movie, what does any of that mean?
Gremlins was a blackly comedic horror/monster film set in a small town.

Advance publicity for Gremlins 2 suggested it was the same kind of thing in a Die Hard-ish scenario where Gremlins take over a skyscraper. It was... not. At all. Which came as a hell of a surprise when I saw it.