Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nail Rat posted:

He's a much better actor now than he was 20 years ago that's for sure.

Still don't know how they're going to make this work. Ignoring the two sequels and saying Neo spent 20 years kicking rear end after he became God at the end of the first movie seems like the best way.

The Matrix: M2O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The fact that Lana probably wouldn't drop the lore stuff is why I can get excited about this, because I have faith that there will be no compromise.

The harder question is gonna be how to bring Trinity back, I'd love to see some sort of Orpheus/Dante story where he has to fight through The Source to somehow find her and bring her code back to The Matrix. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to establish that humans have some sort of permanent code that is stored somewhere and can be re-uploaded.

Yeah I think this wouldn't be too hard to pull off, like even in the actual movies you have stuff like Smith being able to possess people in the real world and Neo's powers working outside of the Matrix and whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I saw the first one in theaters completely blind except for knowing it was a sci-fi movie with Keanu Reeves in it and seeing that poster with the baby hooked up to the Matrix stuff and it blew me away.

I had read that newer releases of the original on home video have the parts in the Matrix colored green slightly or something to match the second two movies, is that the case? I never double dipped and only have an early DVD of it somewhere which definitely was not like that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kin posted:

I just picked this version up. What were the original 'green levels' like way back when it first came out?

I do remember the 2nd and 3rd films seemed to really double down on it but dunno if all versions i've seen of the first matrix after those have been some greened up "remasters" or something.

IIRC from what I saw in theaters and and the older DVD of it I had it wasn't particularly "green leveled" at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

With all this matrix talk I was reminiscing about watching The matrix for the first time when I was living in Europe, but I had an English vhs (pal UK version). When I watched it for the first time in the states I noticed a whole bunch of scenes that were cut in the UK version, mainly people headbutting the poo poo out of each other. I thought I was going crazy so I looked it up and apparently that's just another one of those weird things they censor in the UK, like teenage mutant hero turtles and stuff.

I actually like the fight scenes without the headbutts, they're kinda goofy.

Another weird example of this was in Terminator 2 where like in earlier UK releases they had to heavily edit parts where John is picking a lock/hacking because otherwise it would teach kids to burglarize.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Horrible Taste posted:

I always had the theory after watching the Animatrix that the machines didn't actually need to farm humans for energy but rather used that as an excuse so they could allow humanity to survive while also keeping them from being a threat again. They tried to peacefully co-exist with humanity but humanity attacked them and even killed the Earth in the attempt to end machine life, then they tried to give humanity paradise but humanity rejected it. Finally they give humanity the only two fates it will accept: living in a simulated version of 1999 and Zion for the ones who who wouldn't or couldn't accept that.

I mean even if the need to farm humans for energy wasn't stupid, why would the machines even need to provide a computer simulation for them at all instead of just lobotomizing them and farming the energy from mindless bodies?

Fried Watermelon posted:

I bet they'll retcon the animatrix and have it so the humans created the simulation and the machines to run it because humans hosed the world with climate change. The only way for the humans to not despair and kill everything is to let them believe the lie that they fought against a race of sentient machines. In the end it turns out the machines aren't sentient at all, they are just all programmed to do what they do forever.

I haven't seen the first in a long time but I thought they mention that the brain needs to be actively perceiving stuff and generally at work for the system to function and generate power. Would have made more sense if they stuck with using the brains for computational power instead of just electricity. Or with better writing in the sequels (and the amount of mysticism they parallel in the movies anyway) they could have made the connection between building blocks of a world and creative "fire" and "electricity" like Twin Peaks does and it would fit fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Matrix 1 is so loving good, I was really happy that I saw in in theaters completely blind except for that one ad of a baby hooked up the machinery and that it was a sci-fi movie with Keanu Reeves.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

dreffen posted:

I was thinking that Yahya Abdul Mateen II is young Morpheus but still not entirely sure. I'd love for Laurence Fishburne to just come the gently caress out of nowhere even though it doesnt look like he's cast.

Laurence Fishburne made Matrix what it was just as much as anyone else I think so who knows. Bummed if he doesn't actually show up.

What you say here plays into my guess that this movie takes place several years before Matrix 1....and after, like The Godfather Part II

I'm sad about Fishburne not even being asked too, he's amazing in everything and was a majorly important part of the series.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 9, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

Morpheus is a character that has no purpose in 2 and 3 - he's like if Obi-Wan somehow survived A New Hope and just kinda stood around in the other Star Wars movies. I mean, the Matrix sequels have other faults, but it shows you how the Wachowskis never planned on making sequels to the Matrix because you have lots of strange hanging threads that don't make sense and were kinda shoehorned in.

It was cool that he got to fight that Agent in the 2nd one though.

Yeah and I know the movie has Resurrections in the title but it still stands out that the two who absolutely 100% on screen no ambiguity passed on are the ones in this while the one that didn't die is not.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don't think it resets to 1900, my interpretation is that the Matrix world is always circa 1999, with no progress made and everyone just unquestioningly accepting it because that's a key feature of the Matrix.

People often question/reject the Matrix and awaken at the age of 25 when they realized Bloodborne hasn't been released yet

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

metachronos posted:

I posted on my FB about how hype I was from the new trailer and one of my "acquaintances" already went off on a screed about how Jessica Henwicks character is a "purple haired gender-fluid mary sue" and then made comparisons to Rey so yeah, they are out there.

With each passing hour I am more and more happy that I killed my Facebook account a year ago.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

They can't get above the clouds coz there's a perpetual emp storm in there and they never learned about emp shielding it seems. All the sentinels who try to follow neo and trinity above the clouds die

I just figured they couldn't shield themselves because technobabble they're made of metal conductivity reasons. Like obviously there's more advanced technology but it's all very chunky like the power armor or even the squids themselves are agile but till come off as sort of heavy and clunky in their own way. a straight up forcefield/shields like in Star Wars or Star Trek might have seemed like two much since then you have to write a way from the humans to get around that so that they even haver any chance at all against one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Hang on a minute, where does the "cannot reprogram themselves to do" or "free will the machines lack" come from? The machines themselves tell us (I think both Smith and the Architect make this point) that the reason they didn't just manifest houses for us or shut off our experience of hunger was that if the world we inhabited was too free of struggle we started waking up. So, to keep us asleep, they mired us in the daily grind, various foibles of the human condition, etc.

This is correct, Smith mentions the earliest version of the Matrix was basically like a world peace paradise with no problems, but it was a huge failure because of that. I got the impression that if things are too easy then like you say either the human brain is like "wait...this is too perfect" and becomes much more likely to wake up or on the other extreme if they go all in on it and are completely at peace they're not actually generating a lot of brain activity -> bioelectricity to make using humans worth it and of course having a bunch of humans do either of those things would be bad for the machines.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 28, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

"Oligarch" is an interesting choice. Like I'm all for anticapitalism, but if they're oligarchs, what kind of wealth do they have? Is there money? Can the Merovingian earn enough $Coppertops to join the Oligarchy?

NFTs, why else would they need literally all sentient life on earth for electricity?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I always thought there must be some kind of rift between the homegrown humans and the Matrix people. I'd be pissed off if they could be virtual reality superheroes in cool outfits while I'm stuck in rags eating slop.

I think you kind of see that when they eat the slop, Tank and Dozer especially seem cool/almost proud of it with it while everyone else is like wtf. Mouse writes the training programs and talks about how it's interesting to think about if the stuff even tastes like what it's "supposed" to in the Matrix (like how do machines no what everything tastes like and such) vs. the real food/etc. Except for Mouse all the go-into-the-Matrix-people hate it.

Not that you know who every single Matrix-entering person is in Reloaded but in Reloaded there's also that part where Neo talks about destroying like all machinery around them (because to him it's like, I punch a program hard it goes away problem solved) while the older Zion guy with him has to spoonfeed to him that like they need basic machinery to keep a city functioning.

So I don't think the movies really go into it much but it is subtly there to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I am requesting that people don't use trans people as rhetorical objects to argue for the kind of posting they prefer.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

what even are the demographics of zion?

It's current iteration is 100 years old (exactly?) and each cycle starts with 23 survivors. Is it mostly people just born in zion or is it a large population of people morpheus tediously releases one at a time from the matrix? In the movie it seems like a majority of people are ex matrix and natives are somewhat novel, and the point of zion is a fake base for resistance freedom fighters to waste their energy on, but it seems like just having kids would fill up the place way faster than the very very slow and personalized red pill stuff. It seems like natives would dominate the population pretty quickly.

This also made me wonder like, is every awakening the as personalized as Neo's? Like Morpheus is pretty zealous about him being THE ONE, Trinity has a thing for him, etc., so that may have effected their process. Like maybe or run of the mill folks there's less like run-ins with the agents or after a tedious build up they have enough people at the tipping point that folks are getting awakened at a steady rate now. Neo the average day job guy in the Matrix who's also a big-time hacker was actively reading up on Morpheus before getting the call, so like is a person in the Matrix thinking "hey maybe this Morpheus guy that keeps eluding the police has some good ideas I'm going to look into that" the thing that sets off the "go in and awaken this person" alert or whatever?

Kind of wish we got a second Animatrix

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

If only the machines had the foresight to slowly introduce humanity to the first matrix. A couple hours a day in paradise after work sounds great, and from there you can see a good portion of humanity willingly spending the rest of their lives in it. Presents a different set of moral and philosophical outcomes, at least until the machines get greedy.

If the machines really wanted it to go on forever they should have coopted Morpheus' message and waking up at all. Like literally just have agents give people in the Matrix the exact presentation Morpheus does but "did you know these absolute sickos want you to live underground in a nuclear wasteland that doesn't even have actual food, just some weird paste? Also there's no sunlight, ever. Imagine dooming your family/friends to this by not giving enough electricity to the Matrix because you decided you don't appreciate the taste of steak."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Robot Style posted:

The Matrix being stuck in perma-1999 means the real-world color grading is just something they've internalized after a century of people humming "yo listen up here's the story about a little guy who lives in a blue world" every time someone new comes out of the pods.

Speaking of this, when they set it in the 90s did that mean like, New Years Eve 1999 whenever a person goes to sleep the Matrix fucks with them and when they wake up it's 1999 again? Or was the idea just that they have the Matrix start in the 90s instead of any other time period and the years progress like normal from there?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Noob Saibot posted:

Guys the matrix is not permanently set in 1999. That’s just the year in the matrix when the film took place lmao.

That's what I thought that's why the last post or so confused me so much lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gazaar posted:

It felt cool doing the wall kickoff jump attack on agents because it was like one of the only things the game would let you land on them.

I was about to make almost this exact post. The game as amazing the first time you run into a room and wall jump and kick someone in the face, everything else about it was crap

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I really liked this a lot and its emphasis on fuckers that want to control people coopting their language and stuff. And it was cool to see how the big difference between Io and Zion was Io's sort of lack of borders and how there really was growth with them getting along with the synthetic folks and stuff

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The bot thing seems like something where they worked backwards from thinking having the agents possessing people to commit suicide en masse would be seen as too mean and then they worked it into the story from that.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 25, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

He returns to help Neo and Trinity in the coffee shop at the end. When the Analyst has frozen time and is on his way to shoot Trinity, Smith appears and is somehow immune to the time fuckery that the Analyst pulls and proceeds to attack the visibly confused Analyst (which unfreezes everyone) and messes up some agents/cops as well. After the fight is over and Neo & Trinity are reunited, the Analyst then activates the swarm before getting shot apart by Smith who then states that their alliance ends there and disappears, revealing the body he was inhabiting at the time was the barista who acts visibly confused. I'm guessing that Smith essentially being a beta for the swarm (Revolutions) meant that he knew what was up and noped out to save himself.

Don't have a clue why he came to save Neo & Trinity after trying to kill him earlier however. Still really wish Weaving had been there for that final Smith scene because him interrupting and scaring the poo poo out of the Analyst would have been so much better. After the film ended my first thoughts were a reconstruction of that scene with Weaving and his particular way of speaking and mannerisms, it would have been excellent. Still would have made no sense (unless I'm dumb and missed why he suddenly wanted Neo alive rather than dead) but would have been much more entertaining, imo.

I think the franchise is dead now so we'll likely never see it explored further but it felt oddly wholesome to have Smith come and save for day for Neo & Trinity.

I agree that scene would have been 10/10 if they got Weaving back in some form. IIRC from his chat with Neo he didn't really give a poo poo if Neo was alive or not at this point but Neo being back in the game ( :haw: ) as it were gave Smith an opportunity to escape/otherwise have agency ( :haw: ) from the iteration of the Matrix they were in. So there was just a brief period where Neo being alive and about was useful for Smith but after that whelp

People keep focus a lot on how the movie relates to The Matrix Online but a lot of that stuff about the friendly machines and programs like Smith clicked with me more because we had coincidentally rewatched the Animatrix not too long before seeing this. I wasn't expecting some subtler stuff like the bell coming up in a Matrix movie made like 17 years after that.

GD_American posted:

gently caress it. Give the franchise to Villeneuve or Rian or Nolan. Let them pick up with one holdover character like Bugs.

Quit trying to re-trace what worked. Do some new poo poo

Ideally they should make a second Animatrix but live action (after that recent Night of the Living Dead I don't think WB should do any animated thing ever again), just let a bunch of different directors go to town.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 26, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Is this where someone comes in and says “matrix 4 is closer to Zack Snyder’s work” and everyone gets upset and a mod has to come back in and remind everybody that this matrix deja vu simulation already ran just a few pages back

Imagine the action in Zack Snyder's Matrix

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah really the only thing I'm certain of is that movies aren't the way to tell the story of the Matrix anymore.

You know I've always felt as bad as Enter The Matrix, the Wachowski's were kind of ahead of the game with realizing (and capitalizing) on that with the Animatrix, Enter the Matrix, etc.

Console/PC movie licensed games were still way more of a thing then and while there were some good (even great) ones, the majority were still "You're [protagonist], platform or shoot your way through these corridors". Like Enter the Matrix having footage that's only in it and being an actual part of the canon in such a big way was impressive for a move licensed game. And then there's the Matrix Online game too.

Years later you still had the people running CSI thinking people were come in droves to the CSI Second Life each week to get pre-show clues about the episode's story :laffo:

Like I dug this newest movie a lot to the point where I'd love to see more Matrix stuff but I don't need to see Neo or Trinity anymore.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

So in this account is tiffany's husband a bot or something different? To me it strains plausibility that the father of your two kids could serve in that role but not qualify as a "real AI"

I thought all of them were real AI/programs and that them being "bots" just means they have the extra script/whatever that lets the Analyst dumb them down so he can directly have basic control over a ton at once.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

See, I think Qanon is a big part of why it works. Trinity isn't walking away from her family. She is walking away from lying hucksters who try to convince her of a different reality because they want to make a profit. She is someone who escapes from Q to return to the person she actually loved and who loved her.

This is something I agree with and also something the movie goes to an extra step to make clear when the Analyst starts turning bots into bombs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DickParasite posted:

New-Morpheus was created subconsciously by Neo in his lil' matrix as an amalgamation of Morpheus and Smith - the two biggest (non-Trinity) influences on him. New-Smith was a reskin of Old-Smith by the Analyst for reasons that don't make any sense to me given how much Smith apparently wants to kill the Analyst. I read Weaving was asked to join the cast but unavailable and Fishburne wasn't asked.

The gently caress?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PSXer posted:

Depends on which one. The original DVD might have had a little green, but it wasn't incredibly obvious. When they made the sequels, they went back and remastered the DVD of the first one. That version was a lot more green. They probably did it so it matched up with the way the sequels looked.

Not sure about the blu-rays

IIRC the blu-rays were like that too but the most recent releases of it tone it back down to be closer to its look in theaters and on the first DVD release

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

checkplease posted:

I think this would actually best though for Animatrix 2. I would rather have more weird side stories than trying to give background on small characters or fill in the history. Obviously, they could use it show what happened to Morpheus or the machine civil war, but I think stories on IO, the matrix video game, exiled programs and machines, or even Sati could be more interesting.

The Animatrix balanced this perfectly and I would hope an Animatrix 2 does the same. Have one or two stories that fill in what happened between Revolutions and Resurrections re: Morpheus/the machines, then have the rest just be cool stories about stuff in the world.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

When they were planning their Trinity break out, I was kinda disappointed in how they showed them “convincing” one of the robots to help them was to just rip open its head and physically penetrate their brain. What could’ve been a cool visual in showing how matrix AIs gain sentience turned into a standard brain hijack scene.

I'm reminded of the final story in the Animatrix, it would have been cool to see a machine pulled into small human-made matrix where the humans have to more abstractly convince it that they're okay.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Trinity died but then her remains were reassembled, regrown, she was resurrected, and then forced into this iteration of the matrix in a "normal" nuclear family role. Her learning all of that and then remembering everything from the previous movies happened, I'm kind of stunned people are saying this puts Trinity's actions in the same boat as the "my family doesn't invite me to Thanksgiving anymore" crowd. They parallel her and Neo's creation so much when this stuff is revealed it's a given that she's similarly not really feeling her current life situation on some level even if they don't explicitly show scenes of her seeing a therapist or whatever.

G-III posted:

I liked this move a lot, even more than 2+3, but it was definitely suffering from the lack of fight choreography from Yuen Woo Ping.

Yeah the action was weak, and it was a bit frustrating because each of the fights had a "a great fight scene could happen here" setting.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 2, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Archer666 posted:

But would it have been a better movie if Lana wasn't involved at all?

Don't worry about the vase.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sigher posted:

I don't believe you can be red-blue colorblind.

I just realized that this movie is just Last Action Hero but made from fecal matter. Starting off as a meta comedy that turns into an action film, but instead of embracing the farce it tries to make a hard turn and be a serious action film. Last Action Hero owns so much, time to watch it again.

You plugged the love of my life into another Matrix, biiiiig mistake.

CelticPredator posted:

That opinion is half good and half fecal matter

Nitpicks aside I really did love this flick and am happy it got made.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

The speculation on what's going on in Lana W's head and her relationship with WB is strange to me. I doubt anyone is given free reign to spend $190 million of their boss's money to gently caress around and make fun of the boss.

Random criticism: the way Neo manifests his powers by just Force Pushing baddies around struck me as very lazy and unimaginative.

Yeah I can't believe some people think that like, she tricked WB somehow, those scenes are fun and obviously WB liked them.

I agree about the action in general. I don't think anything's ever really lived up to the implied potential when Neo absorbs/kills Smith in Matrix 1 and then the entire world breathes in and out with him right after.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PeterCat posted:

So, question about the Matrix. The machines grow humans as crops, using the Matrix to control the human's minds. Reproduction is completely artificial, no human has been born naturally outside of Zion in hundreds of years.

Are the children created by the machines assigned human parents in the Matrix? Do they simply make a deja-vu causing change and suddenly Thomas Anderson might wake up one morning in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife, and asking himself, "Well, how did I get here?"

That sounds more like Dark City where from day to day they directly gently caress with individual people's memories and stuff instead of letting a simulation play its course. To me in the matrix though, kid is made irl, they plug the kid in, kid grows up while in the simulation under whatever people in the simulation are going to give birth soon or adopt a kid or whatever. I forget if they bring it up in the first movie when they first pull Neo out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know if there's some errata that specifies the whole "it's one city thing" but that would make zero sense considering the idea behind The Matrix is that the real actual world is a simulation. It doesn't exactly make sense to shift that to "uh actually it's one place."

It's always been the entire world in the movies. The city in the first one is meant to be Chicago though they don't mention it by name because like others pointed out it's normal to just say "the city" when talking about the major city you live in or around.

I think people miss out on it being a simulation and what that means regarding how it's run compared to something like Dark City's city where it's a very very very intimately crafted and smaller space. And as others mentioned miss out on how, like, other places are clearly a thing in the Matrix since they talked about and travelled to throughout the movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

The issue isn’t whether Tiffany is justified in thinking she might be Trinity - obviously we know that in the context of the movie she is. The issue is whether it’s callous for her spouse to laugh when she suggests she looks like Trinity. This argument started when people were questioning whether it was right for Trinity to abandon her family, and the justification was given that Chad was bad because he had done that.

But by any standard it’s not particularly cruel to laugh when your spouse suggests she looks like a video game character she demonstrably looks nothing like. That question, alone, would not be taken by anyone as a serious suggestion that the asker was actually really that character in a different world, nor for that matter an actual sign of mental delusion, nor a sign of body dysmorphia. If an allegorical point was being made then it should have been done better.

The way she performed the scene made it seem like there was more to it than that. Like if the husband was just like "lol sure okay" she might not have even noticed but her delivery made it come off more like there was an implied "you think you have any kind of use or ability or anything at all? You don't, gently caress you." More like a final nail in the coffin of that relationship than her making a huge leap from that to her actually being Trinity. Like clearly she was effected by that conversation way more than a typical "lol [charactername] looks/doesn't look like you" exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

You are doing a huge amount of heavy lifting here to justify a reading. This isn’t the “final nail”, it’s literally the only thing that could be interpreted as bad that Chad does. I think it’s possible this was the intended implication by the writers, but if they actually wanted to suggest that, they should have put it in the movie.

Nah it's how I immediately took the scene as it happened when I saw it, and with how little Chad is even around in the movie we only have Trinity to really go by. If she didn't already some kind of "something is off with my family" feeling about her life at the minimum nothing Neo brought up would have effected her.

But I agree, as much as I loved this movie Trinity should have been the primary character in it instead of Neo after the first act.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 8, 2022