Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yo so I stock shelves for work which sucks but the benefit is that I get to listen to music while I do it. To mix things up I like to rip the audio from my fav movies and usually I'll toss one of them on during the final leg of my shift to make things go by faster.

All that info was just to explain that I was listening to The Matrix last night and I got to the scene where the UPS guy gives Neo the package with the phone that Morpheus calls him on and, maybe I'm just a slowpoke, but was the UPS guy actually Mouse?? I swear to god I heard his voice. It would make sense, what better way to get Neo an important item then to send one of your own guys up to get it to him?

I just rewatched the scene and while it's initially being cute and hiding his face you do clearly see him and it isn't Mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I've watched a clip compilation of all the footage they've used for those teasers and it looks like it has a lot of shots that came right out of the first film. I wonder if this is going to be some sort of remake/sequel to the originals. It starts out super familiar, even shot-for-shot, of the first film before going off the rails.

I saw deja vu cat so yes.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

MLSM posted:

I just rewatched Reloaded and Revolutions, and they both owned. I was someone who hated them back in 2003. I guess being older — and able to understand dialogue and movies in general more — combined with a seemingly endless stream of lovely films from Hollywood in recent years has caused me to reevaluate the Matrix sequels. They’re ambitious, and you can’t say that with most sequels these days.

Did the previous five iterations of The One have a Smith-type nemesis as a result of the matrix equations trying to balance themselves out, or was he unique to Neo? I ask because when Neo refused to save Zion in favor of Trinity during the Architect scene, that was the first time an iteration of the One chose to let Zion die, right? Which means the only reason why the 6th Matrix/Zion survived was because — ironically — The One had to ally with the Machines against Smith from destroying both?

I think Smith specifically is somewhat unprecedented but the concept of the Matrix needing to be rebooted because aspects of it are becoming unstable and that instability manifesting as a counter-One (in whoever form it takes) that never has to opportunity to act because of a reboot is consistent.

And while "a cataclysmic system crash" sounds like the Matrix bluescreening, why wouldn't it be the system manifesting another One that infects everyone plugged in?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The United States posted:

Keanu can absolutely go to town too. They just left all that footage out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lksyNJhgyyE

No they didn't. They're in the screens.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Noob Saibot posted:

What were the other agents name? I think the second in command was Johnson?

First movie were monosyllabic: Smith, Jones, and Brown. Upgrades were "sons": Johnson, Jackson, and Thompson.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I mean his name is Thomas A Anderson. We don't know what the A is, but Thomas traditionally means twin ("two lives") and associated with the "Doubting" apostle. So he is literally the reality doubting alter-ego'd son of man.

Fuckin Smith's license plate is a bible verse about smithing weapons and destroyers.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 27, 2021

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

Not to my knowledge. The only hold-up they had during production is when Gloria Foster died and they had to recast her role.

They shot a lot of Aaliyah as Zee including the Revolutions ending, so they not only had to recast but entirely reshoot in Aaliyah's case. Matrix sequels are cursed productions between the deaths of actresses, 9/11, the death of Keanu's ex, and now Covid with 4.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There's a Youtube channel uploading extremely candid interviews and 20 minutes of behind the scenes b-roll of the entire movie in chronological order and it's all very spoiler-y and I straight up know poo poo so I guess watch out if you want?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

WonkyBob posted:

What's the channel called?

FabTV. Playlist here but literal plot/lore/identity/scene/whole movie structure spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL97AJESKRIokX0d6JX8oG0j75Tpm8kAoU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

The "bomb" I was referring to is that he reveals that this version of Morpheus is an A.I. No idea who programmed him, or what's that's going to mean.

Trinity stuff: she is currently someone named Tiffany who likes motorcycles, and is married (Chad Stahelski, director of John Wick, and former stunt man on The Matrix for Keanu, plays her husband) with three kids, and meets Thomas Anderson. But starts to realize that something is off, and eventually realizes that she is Trinity.

Goff is Smith, just a new form of him for some reason (they were vague on this). This isn't surprising, but he says he fights Neo, but also punches "the analyst", who I'm pretty sure is NPH? The way he describes his fight against Neo seems cool, because he said he was worried since he's not a trained fighter, but he said Lana wanted his fighting style to be slow but powerful. So Neo would get in 4-5 quick hits, and then he'd get in 1 giant hit.

I only got to watch half of them before they were taken down.

Okay so I saw all and am just abridging. Watch out literal plot poo poo

Lore/Backstory/Setup: The machines had a civil war and cast out the more progressive machines, and Niobe gave them shelter in a new human city called Io, itself a splinter from Zion. There is a statue of Fishburne Morpheus. Machines and programs are rendered as CG characters in the real world, synthient is a word. Neo's sacrifice at the end of Revolutions did something not so good and might have been for nothing but there was no way anyone could know.

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II's character: He is identified as Agent Smith. He goes on a journey to become Morpheus instead.

Groff: The original Smith in a new shell/role who eventually remembers and thanks "Tom"/"Mr Anderson" for freeing him "again".

General structure ACTUAL loving PLOT DON'T: Bugs and Morpheus try to get Neo out twice and are only successful the second time. In the real world Neo is briefly imprisoned until Bugs' team goes rogue and helps him go back into the Matrix for Trinity. Smith, Merovingian, and Analyst all try to stop their reunion. The rooftop jump is near the end.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The Dave posted:

FYI i/o was the original machine city they built when trying to coexist with humanity.

People have said this but that was 01.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm glad that everyone is finally agreeing with me that the sequels are actually fine and good but I still don't appreciate being gaslit by the internet for 20 years like it did with the Star Wars prequels.

Mister Chief posted:

The production quality is not consistent I would say.

I may be reading too much into it but it felt like it got better as the story went on and there does appear to be a distinction between different parts of the movie after certain events in terms of how they are shot.

The early half seemed to favour CGI massively and then the later half seemed mostly practical where possible. Again, might be my imagination.

Almost as if production was shut down and restarted in a different capacity due to some kind of global event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The masks worn by the japanese extras in the train were the actual masks used and worn by production, and were all black with green code on them. They put them in the scene because it'd a) make life easier b) it's "Japan" where people wear masks at the best of times and c) The Matrix is an in-universe franchise so it's game merch.