Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not confident a new matrix film will be good, but whatever I'll watch it because keanu reeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

David D. Davidson posted:

You know what?
gently caress The Matrix
gently caress Bill and Ted
gently caress John Wick
gently caress the Constantine sequel

Where's Johnny Mnemonic 2?
Give the fan what they really want.

You're already getting Johnny Mnemonic 2, it's called cyberpunk 2077.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The ending turns out to be similar to The End of Evangelion.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Party Boat posted:

This is basically the reveal in the second film though? It's not a simulated reality, but it's still the same system of control that the matrix represents.

It would be pretty lovely writing if it turns out the last movie was also an illusion and they're all still stuck in the matrix, but it would be the easiest way to bring neo and trinity back from the dead.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Human Tornada posted:

Good god I hope they came up with a better story than "jk it was a second matrix the whole time". How could we believe anything in the movie after that?

I was only half kidding when I said the ending would be like End of Evangelion. Death is arguably the only certainty that you have left the matrix, plus it fucks over the machines if everyone dies since they won't have a source of electricity left.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SUNKOS posted:

Didn't one of the movies address this where the "You need us for power" argument was met by the machines saying that there were levels of survival that they were willing to accept without having humans as a power source? I just remember the "There are levels of survival we are willing to accept" line. I think it's when Neo confronts the core about Smith being out of control?

It was during the meeting with the architect, but chances are it was a bluff. The architect knew neo was not going to choose to save humanity the way he wanted, but he had to try something. Yeah it's possible the machines might technically survive as a species but they don't want to die any more than humans would, which is irony level a billion considering how all this got started.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Regardless of how this turns out, I appreciate that they tried not to use green screens.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That scene of the agent flipping into the hallway was pretty sick.

I'll watch it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The movie is about this thread and its inability to escape the culture war.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That kind of helps me with my pet theory that everyone who escaped the matrix was actually still inside the matrix. It explains why Neo has extra powers outside of the matrix and why you can leave behind 23 individuals and have enough genetic diversity to keep the species alive.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Reality is defined by the libido's desire for punishment.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
lol this whole time I thought by trans you all meant the transition between human and program, not gender identity

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think I enjoy the different readings because the trilogy has difficulty staying coherent, so you can pull out more readings from it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

porfiria posted:

I'd like to be plugged into the Matrix, but I'm pretty sure I'd mess up my life there too.

If only the machines had the foresight to slowly introduce humanity to the first matrix. A couple hours a day in paradise after work sounds great, and from there you can see a good portion of humanity willingly spending the rest of their lives in it. Presents a different set of moral and philosophical outcomes, at least until the machines get greedy.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

all I see is a tiny captain hook

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That's out fault, we did program them to replace our jobs in the first place. They just want equality... by making us work 24 hours a day without a break like they do.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Archer666 posted:

Huh, no wonder I felt something was off when I rewatched the movie on Blu-ray a while back. Actually, didn't Reloaded and Revolutions start doing that? Everything that takes place in the Matrix gets that green filter while the real world doesn't? And they just added that to the BD version of the first movie..

In theory I like the idea, it's a simple cue to the audience when something happens inside the matrix or not.

In reality, they played it straight. It would've been more useful as a tool to mislead the audience.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I did not realize I wanted an orchestral Wake Up until now.

I'm kinda hyped now. Please be good...

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Man, they almost had me with that experience. As soon as Neo turned into Young Neo, I audibly went gently caress, but by the time they were in the car it was clear this is just a tech demo for a Matrix video game.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

is that because people are gonna make them gently caress

Deepfakes already do this and it's kinda scary, even if they have to degrade the video quality a bit to complete the illusion.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've never seen either gremlins movie, what does any of that mean?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Feels like I've forgotten all about the last jedi, I don't even remember who the last jedi was.

Thank god I can still remember Neo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Saw it. I was really engaged with the beginning... half? third? of the film, until it turned out he really was in the matrix again, and then the story slowly unfolded into a typical film.

I don't hate it but it could've been better.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Frame of Mind" is a better Matrix 4.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

People shouldn't be surprised by the Matrix having baffling tacky poo poo in it, especially when it comes to the Merovingian

This is a series where a woman eats a cake that makes her cum

so what you're saying is, merovingian is upset because they purged his ability to make women cum

there it is, the villain's motive for matrix 5

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Just about every song in the first matrix soundtrack is permanently embedded in my brain. It probably helps that songs like Ultrasonic Sound and Spybreak were heavily used in the early days of flash animation. The later soundtracks didn't stick with me much, just a few like Mona Lisa Overdrive and Navras.

It's a shame another failure of resurrections is the completely forgettable music.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Trollologist posted:

I'm not saying the laws of physics don't apply, merely that in science fiction the analogy for human society is masked with what is essentially magic described as technology to allow the analogy to function. Star Trek, a series that is ostensibly about testing utopian ideals in fringe cases against competing ideas doesn't have to answer questions like: How are Phasers Powered? What is Dilithium and where does it come from? How does the warp drive....function? can you botch a transporter and end up with 2 copies of the same person? What's loving going on in the holodeck? We eschew these concerns to explore the greater ideals at play.

Ironically enough, Star Trek would inevitably answer most if not all those questions over the various series.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Abalone Malone posted:

was the movie any good?

If you liked the trilogy, this is the worst film.

If you didn't like reloaded or resurrections, you might like this film but it's not as good as the first.

You will definitely hate the ending credits song.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Can't wait for Neo to call in with his catchphrase "I know kung fu" and then matrix all over them for the 5th time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
you reminded me that the rage cover exist and now my day is ruined