Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Freakazoid_ posted:

I was only half kidding when I said the ending would be like End of Evangelion. Death is arguably the only certainty that you have left the matrix, plus it fucks over the machines if everyone dies since they won't have a source of electricity left.

Didn't one of the movies address this where the "You need us for power" argument was met by the machines saying that there were levels of survival that they were willing to accept without having humans as a power source? I just remember the "There are levels of survival we are willing to accept" line. I think it's when Neo confronts the core about Smith being out of control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's weird they seem to have got everyone back except Morpheus. Does anyone know what's happened there? Laurence Fishburne has been working with Keanu in the John Wick movies and I can't fathom why they'd bring back characters like Niobe but not him? I know there's rumors of a younger Morpheus instead but if they're using younger versions of the characters why have Carrie-Anne Moss and Keanu Reeves return along with the others? I'm guessing maybe the story revolves around Morpheus this time or something? Seems off though if Trinity is coming back but she'll be the same age yet Morpheus is just younger than everyone else.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Dave posted:

I wish Keanu didn't have the beard to make this feel a little less like John Wick in the Matrix but it's nothing I'm super passionate about.

I could swear I saw a shot somewhere that shows Neo by a mirror and his reflection is someone who looks completely different and older? That combined with this...

AccountSupervisor posted:

Holy poo poo that is definitely a shot of Neo from The Matrix 1 being projected onto something.

...has me wondering if something is up with that? We know from the prior films that when jacking back into the Matrix they can look how they want to, but if Neo doesn't know who he is and the machines brought him back, maybe we see Keanu as Neo but the characters in the world see someone else? Would actually be interesting if they played with the fourth wall like that, and the trailer has plenty of clips showing that he doesn't know who he is for a portion of the movie at least.

Edit: 1:11 in the trailer has him seeing his own reflection as someone else. That and a character in the film actually referring to 'The Matrix' at the end of the trailer makes me think they're going to go kinda meta with this?

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 9, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Just noticed when Trinity does her scream and those ghost copies appear around her that not all of them are her either, some of them look like different people. Can't predict where they're going with that and Neo but it's unexpected and exciting.

Torquemada posted:

Trailer looks pretty good, now to avoid the 14 months of ‘baby’s first philosophy class’ speculation it’s sure to fire up among the fedora wearing class.

I imagine somewhere in the alt-right cesspit there are already people trying to think of ways to co-opt the rubber duck imagery :gonk:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

This is amusing but I think it's just a coincidence more than anything: https://twitter.com/ricardojuchem/status/1435962397341147137

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

clean ayers act posted:

My initial reaction to the trailer is it seems like its going down the route of The Force Awakens in basically being a nostalgic movie instead of something new.
Hope i'm wrong about that because i loved the matrix, sequels and all

I think (and hope) that will not be the case but at the same time it would be poignant to highlight the real world parallels of this. Seeing that brief clip of the original Matrix being projected in the trailer suggests that they may touch on the topic at least somewhat. The timing coincides with another piece of media that I enjoy which recently concluded with the anticipated final movie which made a point of addressing this theme directly to the point of completely breaking the fourth wall in the final moments of the film. It doesn't always work but when a talented director attempts to tackle the subject and succeeds it is a rewarding experience, imo.

Besides, it really does feel like we've been spinning tires for a notable amount of time now. I'd like to see more media tackle this in their own ways and I'm sure Lana has an inventive and interesting take on this herself, especially since the first Matrix had a significant cultural impact with the abundance of "Are we living in a simulation?!" conspiracy theories that arose in its wake. It would be entertaining to see the film play with that idea a little.

Jay-V posted:

saw some semi-interesting speculation on reddit

-projection of Matrix 99 could indicate that it exists as a movie in-universe

This would be excellent, and a good take on what I was theorizing above given the real world reaction that people had to the movie.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

PT6A posted:

It's a Wachowski film, so my bet is it's going to be more bizarre than anything anyone in this thread can come up with

Neo's a hedonist and takes both pills! :v:

Shaocaholica posted:

Remember that guy who cut a trailer for the shining but it’s a romcom? You could totally do this with just the M4 trailer footage into a TV drama.

How is that a bad thing, though? The Shining is a masterpiece.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Field Mousepad posted:

I legit would like to see what would happen if someone did this in the movie.

We find out the entire Matrix runs on Vista and the ensuing lockup kills every single human that's jacked in and brings an end to the machine world as their power source immediately ceases to be.

We are treated to some utterly wild visuals as this happens, though :shroom::2bong::shroom:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

just another posted:

I read through the MMO lore. Is the entire Matrix that one megacity (+ adjacent mountain range)?

This reminds me of Dark City, the protagonist slowly pieces everything together and attempts to get out of the city since he has false memories of a childhood day at the beach he's desperate to prove are real, but there's no way to actually get out of the city for various reasons and then he notices that it's always night as well. Good movie.

Mister Speaker posted:

Sure, but this is dangerously treading on 'life begins at _____' territory. How does a computer simulation decide when impregnation is successful? Randomly? Does it assign virility modifiers to everyone plugged into it? This also means that one of those tubes is for harvesting your gametes, OR that the machines jerk you off when they need to.

This is a gross conversation, I'm sorry.

The Matrix Thread: The machines jerk you off when they need to

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I gave in and decided to read some of the plot spoilers and I'm not sure if anyone else has, but the trailer for the film did confirm them to be correct and so for certain aspects of the leaks that we do not see in the trailer? I find some of it a little odd but I'll keep this in spoilers so only other people who've read the leaks can discuss this if they want to.

I'm surprised that Smith is back, and it makes it all the more tragic that things simply could not work out with Hugo's scheduling to have him reprise his role as other key cast members have returned. At the end of the day it doesn't seem that big of a deal since in-universe it can be explained in so many ways (from people choosing their appearance when they jack-in, to Smith himself looking very different when finding his way into the real world in prior movies) but I feel it would have been worth waiting for since apparently this film appears to set up sequels apparently? The leak states that Smith isn't very present but is with the Merovingian so I'm interested to see how that will play out since the film doesn't explore these too much it seems, but leaves it open for future movies. How Smith has managed to survive is quite a head-scratcher however given how the original trilogy concluded.

They appear to have revised the death of Morpheus and the thread title is no longer accurate. Apparently he simply died of old age (this seems like a weirder explanation to me) and the 'new' Morpheus is a machine construct that is also an agent?! I cannot wrap my head around that one, but it does sort-of make sense when taking into account...

Neil Patrick Harris' character seems to be the big bad, who wants to wrestle control of the Matrix from Neo, hence continuing to feed him blue pills and prevent him from awakening. In the real world, machines and humans appear to have maintained peace so it looks like this is a rogue program once again causing chaos (much like Smith) and Neo needing to stop him after awakening. This may explain the purpose of the new Morpheus, with there being a mutual desire for Neo to awaken and prevent the Matrix from going to hell again like it did when Smith was out of control.

Apparently something that also really sticks out is the fight scenes are very different as the original team and stunt coordinators are not involved, so we won't be getting fancy Kung fu which is seemingly quite noticeable when watching. At the same time however, Keanu and Carrie are much older now and I think it would be odd to expect them to perform the same, and the same would apply for Morpheus were Laurence reprising his role. We see this in the trailer with Neo doing his force blasts (don't have a clue what else to call them) rather than fighting traditionally, so I hope that they can still craft some exciting and entertaining fight scenes around this new direction.

I didn't see any mention of this in the bullet point list of plot notes in the leak, but apparently there is also a scene (or more?) that will really anger the alt-right red pill anti-woke brigade and I cannot wait for that :v: I do fear that the film may not get the best reception however given the direction it's going in, which I personally find interesting but has been met with a lot of disappointment from others who have read the leaks, though. At the same time, if you broke down the original Matrix in a similar way it would be easy to assume that would be terrible as well e.g. reading that Neo beats Smith by diving inside him before flying into the sky to RATM's 'Wake Up' blaring would be laughable on paper, but works brilliantly in the film.

Some things are quite surprising and a little disappointing (in a nitpicky way, imo) but I'm still excited and looking forward to the movie. Curious on the thoughts of any others who have read the leak as the only thing that really niggles me is wishing they had waited until they could get the full cast needed for the film but in the grand scheme of things I don't think that's too important if handled well.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

My opinion of The Last Jedi is mixed. There's things I'm very fond of in the film but what I recall the most is that gambling planet and the whole section of the film that took place there which was unenjoyable for me and also felt like it dragged on forever. Take that for what it's worth but I consider it odd that so many people have been comparing this to TLJ since while I regard the former disappointing in what it could have been, I'm having trouble finding fault with Matrix Resurrections and at best can only nitpick minor things.

I had read the leaks prior to watching the film and I was still surprised by how things played out, primarily in regards to sorta-Smith/Morpheus and the overall plot and just how exactly it toyed with being meta - I knew about the game but was surprised by the Warner Bros. thing and the brainstorming a sequel segment. There's plenty for people to dive into but on the most basic surface level I thought it was a really enjoyable movie and I cannot think of a better way to revisit the world of the Matrix than what we've been given.

I think that anyone who likes the Matrix will enjoy this, and from my own personal circumstances it also felt very refreshing compared to many films that have been released this year (I haven't seen The French Dispatch yet). Hearing about the poor reviews is a shame and I hope this film is a success because it deserves to be, and it's frustrating that the new Omicron variant will probably combine with said reviews and make people pass on the movie.

I think the film wraps things up neatly as-is but still leaves things open for possible sequels so I'm putting this in spoilers just in case, but I really hope that this is the beginning of a new trilogy.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

badjohny posted:

Just finished it and the one thing I notice is the fights seems less "heavy" is maybe the word? In the first 3 you got the impression that every swing could take a persons head off, or bust through a wall. In this one it just looked like a fight between two people and it looked very slow. Other than that it was a good watch.

The fights in this did have that same heaviness, though? Punches were going through concrete and bodies were hitting it so hard they left craters.

And Trinity literally kicks the jaw off the Analyst.

Also, I think anyone who enjoyed the thematic beats of this movie will enjoy Trainspotting 2, but you need to watch the original movie first if you haven't already (and you should - it's a classic).

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

On the topic of Smith, I just remembered that there was talk of a lot of programs being purged after the last film and obviously some escaped that (as we saw with the Merovingian and his subordinates having seemingly survived) but given how he nearly destroyed everything for the machines, I'm surprised that Smith wasn't purged and I don't recall the film mentioning why he was kept around? He was obviously oblivious just like Neo until he had his own awakening, but why keep such a dangerous program around that is such a threat to everything? I'm guessing that ever since becoming the One in the original film, presumably Neo & Smith are somehow linked and keeping Neo in the pod would not have worked without Smith being reset and duped as well? Then again, Smith was wiped out in Revolutions thanks to the virus Neo transferred so I'm a bit puzzled how he's even still around? Doesn't really interfere with my enjoyment of the film but it is odd.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Shiroc posted:

If the new Matrix requires Neo and Trinity to be close but not together, it is reasonable that having Smith also maintaining a semi antagonistic relationship plays into it as well.

Yeah, seems reasonable. Trinity was a regular at the coffee shop it seems and Smith being Smith would probably subconsciously reject a role that did not give him authority and power, so being Neo's boss makes sense and both characters are kept close to Neo with the Analyst personally keeping tabs as well. I forget now if Neo successfully committed suicide in a prior cycle (Bugs referring to seeing the real "Neo" briefly before he walked off a building) but perhaps this was the Analysts solution to Neo rejecting the Matrix? I think Bugs has seen multiple cycles since we see her spying on Trinity and being alarmed when things don't repeat how they're supposed to and the Analyst himself talks about prior attempts going wrong during the gruesome shots we see of Neo & Trinity being remade before he realizes how to make it work. Might be confused on the latter parts there but having to keep Smith close makes sense when compared to Trinity, yeah.

Fucker posted:

i really liked the world building as well. the new "zion" they got was much cooler. honestly, i think the whole movie is cohesive and well done until the part right after trinity tells chad to gently caress off. thats when the movie is over and they have yet another action scene that is mostly there just because its a matrix sequel.

I really would have liked a better look at the Machine civil war, even if it was just a Terminator-style future war segment. The clip we saw in the trailers had me excited that was going to be a setpiece but it turned out to basically be the whole thing. Certainly don't expect it to be a big focus but maybe 3-5 minutes of some Machine war spectacle would have been great, imo. I know this is exactly what you're complaining about regarding action scenes but thinking about it in a Terminator-like context is an exciting prospect.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

HD DAD posted:

60 years have passed since Revolutions, and the machines literally rebuilt Neo and Trinity over time, keeping them young-ish.

I'm a little surprised this wasn't considered a big deal when Neo was taken back to Io to see Niobe. The machines have essentially developed the technology to make humans immortal and while Neo was likely easier for them by being intact and carried away at the end of Revolutions, Trinity was skewered with her corpse probably there for a good while before the machines thought to retrieve it to see if it could assist in reviving Neo.

Speaking of, with some machines now living in harmony with humans (I really liked the strawberry scene) I wondered how old they were and if any had been around long enough to see the fall of civilization and educate the people of Io and perhaps have a plotline where peace with the machine city and genuine collaboration efforts to unify and fix the world would be attempted. If there's another movie I'd be interested in seeing this idea pursued, especially given how prescient it would be, with the tug-of-war between reality and those happily plugged into the Matrix being the opposing force with the conflict revolving over maintaining the status quo or everyone facing the ugly reality but having to come together to fix it. I feel like they've laid the narrative foundations in the series ranging from the first film establishing that people will fight to protect the illusion and Resurrections elevating that to the theory presented by the Analyst and the bots.

Regarding Smith, the recasting did not bother me that much except when Smith interfered with the Analyst in the coffee shop scene and was somehow immune to the Analyst's time shenanigans, that scene would have been elevated tremendously with Hugo Weaving and it's a shame they couldn't manage to get him just for that (could have been justified by a simple "If we're all going back to our old selves..." quip given the Neo & Trinity situation at that moment) or have licensed his likeness for CGI and done the voice lines long distance. That recent Unreal Engine project for the Matrix is a good showcase for how well this would work.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

What did I miss with the Analyst saying the name Tiffany was an inside joke and Trinity genuinely being angry about it? I'm guessing I've forgotten something from one of the other movies?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Shiroc posted:

Maybe that's why they decided to keep digging harder and found eventually the Modal because it was so weird? The implication of Neo having tried to kill himself before also means that everything about who he is within the new Matrix(es) is super fragmented and uncertain. Its not clear when this new Matrix was put online and maybe by time Neo existed in it to be found, nobody really was trying to look anymore. Who knows what else about the known history of real world got co-opted by the machones. Also yeah, it doesn't really matter.

I thought he succeeded in committing suicide? When the Analyst talked about trying so many times and nearly giving up until he realized that Trinity was needed implied that Neo had rejected the Matrix previously (probably multiple times) which was not only why the Analyst gloated so much about having successfully perfected everything but why Neo & Trinity had not aged as much as Niobe, since they were repeatedly resurrected? We very nearly see him kill himself again in the exact same way before Bugs gets there just in time. I admit I was tired when watching however so could have missed something obvious that makes me wrong, but my take was that the "new" Matrix had actually failed a number of times due to Neo rejecting it and committing suicide before the Analyst had his breakthrough moment with Trinity?

Bugs mentions that she had her awakening when getting a glimpse of the real Neo just before he jumped however which might disprove the theory? Then again, if he had lived then that would have made it very easy for them to find Neo (which they said was incredibly difficult for them) since they'd know who he was and what he looked like, but a reset would have wiped that I assume and a new look given to him? It would still be weird that Bugs would not immediately be checking that person first however.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

One thing I loved about the film was The Swarm stuff at the end. It's somewhat of a rehash of Smith's replicating from the sequels, but it's done with real actors in a real space and it looks and feels fantastic. Some of the action in the film isn't as good as it could be, but that scene was delightful and didn't feel cartoony and fake like the Burly Brawl in Reloaded

I thought it was a great mashup of the highway chase and burly brawl but hitting a really unsettling vibe that the franchise has rarely hit. I felt the same way about the scenes of the machines resurrecting Neo and Trinity and how utterly nightmarish it was, which I think that they also did an excellent job with.

punch drunk posted:

With all the other Greek names in these movies I just saw it as a reference to Tiffany being derived from the Greek name for the "manifestation of god" - so kinda mocking the name Trinity.

Thanks, I didn't know that :)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

GD_American posted:

I think the original was pretty effective at that in parts. The jacked-in baby being covered in black dead-people juice was definitely a part that stuck with me. The unplugging of Neo from his pod in the original also had some nice touches, like the violence of the cables popping out, the sudden flushing of the amniotic fluid, and how the hovering bot clamped him on the neck to finish the process. The visual violence and mechanical horror of the process came through very well.

The interrogation scene where Neo's mouth closed and that tracking bug crawled inside his bellybutton (and the subsequent scene where it's extracted) was also some great body horror. I think that we've perhaps become desensitized to it over time but the entire jacking into the Matrix being via a large needle to the back of the skull is great as well. I've often wondered just how cyborg-like Matrix denizens are compared to natural humans given the sheer amount of plugs around the body and presumed hardware within the skull to interface, and I noticed in Resurrections that Neo has even more hardware around the jack-in port now that the others do not. Once again, given how gruesome and horrific the resurrection shots were, it makes me wonder how human Neo actually is under the skin at this point.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Carecat posted:

Yeah! That part has been missing from the films since the original. The first film is a lot more gothic in tone and presentation than the sequels, the only thing they really kept are the outfits.

Haven't stopped to think about that before but you're right, with one scene that stands out to me in particular is the first time Neo meets Morpheus and takes the red pill in that decrepit building during a storm, it was such a perfectly moody scene. Going from such a gothic tone to the trippy/freaky mirror effects before being blasted with clinical whiteness was a superb sequence. It's been ages since I watched the original but am I right in remembering that what immediately follows is Neo's shocking real-world awakening and disposal? Going from gothic to trippy to minimalist to industrial cyberpunk and it all actually working is a huge accomplishment.

Just remembered that scene when they're all hiding in the walls and once they're heard Morpheus bursts out to tackle an agent and it's such a "Here we loving go!" moment because of how the movie had built his character up and we were accustomed to everyone running up until then :D

Seedge posted:

This is not a thing that happens in the first movie. The only person an Agent kills in the first movie is Neo, briefly.

I think they might be thinking of Cypher's (?) betrayal when he was pulling plugs and they were dropping dead.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Nuts and Gum posted:

I can't remember what happens to Smith. Neo punches him through a wall and then we never see him again I think?

He returns to help Neo and Trinity in the coffee shop at the end. When the Analyst has frozen time and is on his way to shoot Trinity, Smith appears and is somehow immune to the time fuckery that the Analyst pulls and proceeds to attack the visibly confused Analyst (which unfreezes everyone) and messes up some agents/cops as well. After the fight is over and Neo & Trinity are reunited, the Analyst then activates the swarm before getting shot apart by Smith who then states that their alliance ends there and disappears, revealing the body he was inhabiting at the time was the barista who acts visibly confused. I'm guessing that Smith essentially being a beta for the swarm (Revolutions) meant that he knew what was up and noped out to save himself.

Don't have a clue why he came to save Neo & Trinity after trying to kill him earlier however. Still really wish Weaving had been there for that final Smith scene because him interrupting and scaring the poo poo out of the Analyst would have been so much better. After the film ended my first thoughts were a reconstruction of that scene with Weaving and his particular way of speaking and mannerisms, it would have been excellent. Still would have made no sense (unless I'm dumb and missed why he suddenly wanted Neo alive rather than dead) but would have been much more entertaining, imo.

I think the franchise is dead now so we'll likely never see it explored further but it felt oddly wholesome to have Smith come and save for day for Neo & Trinity.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

GD_American posted:

gently caress it. Give the franchise to Villeneuve or Rian or Nolan. Let them pick up with one holdover character like Bugs.

Quit trying to re-trace what worked. Do some new poo poo

Fun to imagine what we'd get were David Lynch somehow directing a Matrix film and given a stupidly large budget. The majority of the film could literally be Lynch playing with rabbits again and be fully justified if we got a few scenes of Kyle MacLachlan as Hugo Weaving's nemesis. Or perhaps a buddy Agent movie. gently caress, don't even call it Matrix, have promo trailers which allude to it being Twin Peaks-related until people actually see the film and Lynch breaks minds. He's so perfectly suited for a project like that it would be incredible :allears:

Edit: Bonus wholesomeness in unfortunately terrible quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRAV7O8XzIE

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 26, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for this and yeah, explanation makes perfect sense and lines up with my recollection of what you mentioned. Smith "wakes up" around the same time as Neo as well, so it lines up.

ruddiger posted:

“Fix your hearts or die” sounds like something David Lynch would say to the fans or suits who came to him asking if he’d be interested in hijacking a fellow filmmaker’s piece of art.

I agree, but in that clip it's Lynch's character defending a fellow agent that is trans and had been harassed about it. Ideal scenario would be Lana approaching Lynch for collaboration but there's zero chances of that happening. I think Resurrections only exists because WB was already planning a sequel and Keanu wasn't interested until Lana came back so that if it was being made, it was being made on her terms, I think?

I'm sure we were getting a new Matrix whether we wanted it or not, and it was either this or whatever WB came up with (I think the rumor was a prequel about Morpheus?) so I'm glad we got what we got, but if we're discussing fantasy director and IP pairings then I'd adore seeing Lynch tackle this.

I know nothing about it but I'm pumped as heck for whatever Wisteria ends up being, if it's still being made following the Netflix deal falling through. Before Covid hit they had a deal for 13 hour-long episodes and an $85 million budget and now it seems to be in limbo.

:negative:

Just Chamber posted:

With all 3 matrix films no matter the quality of the movie there was always action that felt creative, new, that made you feel like it was something that hadn't been seen in another film before, this movie has none of that.

I really liked the brief perspective shenanigans when Bugs was taking Morpheus through those doors and everything was flipping around. I would have adored an extended fight scene that went all-in on that style of camera work as they fought through a building or something. Prior movies had wall-running and enemies running around on the ceiling but to build upon that with the camera actually following all of that movement would have been very memorable, I think. Might have induced mass vomiting as well so :shrug:

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 26, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Seemlar posted:

Smith wants to stay free and wants revenge against the Analyst for his decades of imprisonment in the new Matrix. He tells Neo to stay out of the Matrix and to not go after Trinity because the Analyst knows he'll be coming and Smith (correctly) says Neo would lose that confrontation. Neo losing would result in him being returned to captivity and since they repeatedly mention the two of them have a bond etc that would result in Smith being dragged back as well.

It's a self preservation thing which is why he's not hostile later once the Analyst is dealt with.

I kinda wonder what would happen if they did for Smith what they did for the new Morpheus (who was originally a Smith anyway) and actually set him free from the Matrix and brought him into the real world. I know this happened before with Bane but Smith seems more chill now. Then again he'd probably find Io another form of prison and reignite the war against the machines :haw: If it was Hugo Weaving however I would love seeing him tripping balls like new Morpheus did after taking the red pill.

Neo Rasa posted:

Imagine the action in Zack Snyder's Matrix

I've only seen a couple of his movies so I can't share an informed opinion of his filmography but 300 was and still is an awesome film imo. I know everything was essentially storyboarded for him via the graphic novel but I think it's great regardless. It's a shame the sequels to both that and Sin City were so disappointing.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Was the swarm comprised of men only? I know we have that initial scene with the couple in bed and the wife screams in horror as her partner jumps out the window but watching those gifs reminded me that from what I could tell all the bots in the swarm were men. No idea if that's accurate since it would require a fair few rewatches of those scenes but it's an interesting choice if so, and a missed opportunity for that popular slowed-down emotional cover style being applied to It's Raining Men.

G-III posted:

2. Other than to give Thomas a foil in the form of an annoying boss, why use smith at all? That dude nearly destroyed the entire machine city by bringing down the matrix in part 3. The series as a whole uses the experience of Neo jumping into smith as a shorthand for explaining that smith was somehow 'changed' and forever linked to Neo but again doesn't provide many answers into how or why that is.

Smith saves Neo & Trinity in the coffee shop at the end when they're frozen and powerless. He whacks the Analyst right before he can kill Trinity and helps in the brawl that follows. Aside from that all we know is that he is in league with the Mero and has an assumed determination to stay free after having been awoken.

It was explained to me earlier that the whole reason he fights Neo in the first place is to stop him confronting the Analyst because he knows that Neo will lose (and it turns out he was right) which would result in Neo back in the pod and Smith once again losing his freedom. I do kinda wonder why they didn't just agree to team up in the first place however since that would have been interesting and well, they both essentially have the same goal.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Neo's importance is never actually illustrated, for example - never shown. We are told that he's really, really, inspirational but is not shown actually doing anything inspirational.

We literally see him inspire Bugs to free herself from the Matrix.

This is why the “neoologist” is ‘good’ despite being a glorified Wikipedia editor. He believes Neo is a literally-real war hero and even wants to gently caress Neo.

I'm getting flashbacks to your posts in the Alien thread talking about lizard people sex cults and all this other weird QAnon crap that was utterly unhinged. Don't bring that poo poo here as well.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rarity posted:

- The new Morpheus is real fun but he just disappears for the end of the movie. The actor did a great performance but the script never gave the character the weight he deserved

I forget where I saw this now so take it for what you will but I recall reading yesterday that they planned for the new Morpheus to have a much greater presence in the third act of the film where apparently he was supposed to fight a machine (the person revealing this also added details such as the specific name of the machine and that they had their own language which we would have seen/heard for the first time) but it was cut for budget reasons since it was apparently going to be a very fancy CGI fight. I'm assuming said fight would have taken place in the tower where Neo & Trinity were kept and presumably the fight would have taken place while trying to rescue and free Trinity? It definitely seems likely given that the heist was pulled off so easily and many people have mentioned how little the new Morpheus had to do in the final third of the film. Maybe we'll get some concept art eventually but if it is indeed true I'm surprised that a new Matrix film would have run into budget issues if WB was so determined to bring it back.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Found the source for the Morpheus thing, it's an AV Club interview with co-writers Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell:

quote:

AVC: The scenes in the “real world,” where humans and machines are working together and growing strawberries, is a nice new wrinkle. Were there any personal favorite ideas like the strawberries that were close to making it into the movie but ended up cut?

AH: I think the most exciting thing that we had to give up because it was too expensive was the machines were supposed to be speaking and they were supposed to be communicating. But the CGI would’ve been very expensive for that.

There was also a very elaborate and aggressive machine in the Machine City, and we had a name for that machine: “Animalium.” Morpheus was supposed to fight this big mechanical monster, so the good machines and the bad machines were supposed to have more prominence, but it was too cost-prohibitive. I know this because I was writing dialogue for those machines, and there was a point where I couldn’t convince myself that machines would be saying the same things that humans would. So the dialogue was lousy. So I had to realize that I couldn’t write machine dialogue. Well, I couldn’t then. Maybe I could now. Next time.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

checkplease posted:

IO feels like a budget or crew size constraint. Doesn’t have all the extras of Zion in the past. But plot wise you gotta assume it’s fairly large, but hasn’t existed as long as Zion. Zion was about 100 years old, IO was less than 60.

I always thought Zion was much older, with the eradication of life there being just that - with the city left intact for whoever is left for the next cycle. The small amount of people the Architect allowed to live each cycle could never build such a vast and sprawling place, and it looked ancient. I figured that either the Matrix existed for far longer than anyone thought, that Zion pre-dated the war somehow or that the machines actually helped construct it because the thought of approximately twenty people (I think that's the number the Architect says the One gets to choose to live?) building that place is unbelievable.

Io looks like it was only possible through human & machine collaboration.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Smith doesn’t kill a single person in the matrix - even though he obviously has the ability to do so. Instead, the Smiths - the billions-strong collective of dehumanized pod people - stand around and simply refuse to participate in the broader stupid conflict.

He kills Neo.

Twice.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

In Matrix 3, Smith does not kill Neo. Neo kills himself, with the assistance of the giant robot baby head, in order to perform a suicide attack on Smith.

Smith literally kills Neo with his own bare hand.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Noob Saibot posted:

You do understand these movies are green lit by WB execs, scripts approved by WB execs, and privately screened for WB execs long before the first trailer is released right?

This isn’t some “haha these dumb WB people told me to go out and make a 150 million dollar matrix sequel and I’m secretly going to make it a parody of Hollywood”

At the end of the day WB has total creative control and they signed off on this and backed Wackowski.

I wonder how those execs felt when Free Guy came out? Must have been some uncomfortable deja-vu moments among them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

I have my doubts that Reeves will sign on to do another Matrix sequel without involvement of the Wackowskis.

You never know. Didn't he sign up for a fifth John Wick movie? No idea if that was rumor/joke or what. I just hope Matrix 5 isn't a reboot, even though the setting is the one exception of actually being well-suited for that approach. An actual original story would be refreshing.

The MSJ posted:

One thing about Resurrection I like is it's not a Machine vs Human fight anymore. You have humans, programs, and physical robots working together.

Didn't part of Resurrection mention a war among the machines? I vaguely recall something being mentioned about two factions and some brief CGI sequence showing the machines at war with themselves following the original trilogy.