Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Jimbot posted:

I've watched a clip compilation of all the footage they've used for those teasers and it looks like it has a lot of shots that came right out of the first film. I wonder if this is going to be some sort of remake/sequel to the originals. It starts out super familiar, even shot-for-shot, of the first film before going off the rails.

Matrix: Genisys ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

just another posted:

Baudrillard was poignant as we were transitioning into a digital hyperreality in 1999 but Foucault is probably more insightful for where we find ourselves in 2021.

Can you elaborate on this? Sounds interesting.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
I just rewatched Reloaded and Revolutions, and they both owned. I was someone who hated them back in 2003. I guess being older — and able to understand dialogue and movies in general more — combined with a seemingly endless stream of lovely films from Hollywood in recent years has caused me to reevaluate the Matrix sequels. They’re ambitious, and you can’t say that with most sequels these days.

Did the previous five iterations of The One have a Smith-type nemesis as a result of the matrix equations trying to balance themselves out, or was he unique to Neo? I ask because when Neo refused to save Zion in favor of Trinity during the Architect scene, that was the first time an iteration of the One chose to let Zion die, right? Which means the only reason why the 6th Matrix/Zion survived was because — ironically — The One had to ally with the Machines against Smith from destroying both?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Shiroc posted:

Neo and Trinity just sharply vibe and connect (because they're both trans).

How are they trans?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Shiroc posted:

The entire movie? https://www.google.com/search?q=the+matrix+as+trans+allegory

Trinity's whole backstory is unclear but she reads heavily as someone just slightly farther along figuring themselves out than Neo. Neo is crushing on her because of that. Trinity is crushing on Neo because she seems so much of herself in him and the exciting potential for what he could become once he fully finds himself.

Neo always came across as someone — like millions of others — deeply alienated from a consumerist society to me rather than suffering from gender dysphoria?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Shiroc posted:

lol the movie that tons of trans people say is very trans, directed by two trans woman who outright state that it was expressing and processing their feelings, "well actually it is not trans at all!" Come the gently caress on. Yes there is other stuff but again, come the gently caress on.

The film came out years before they were trans. And I haven’t seen anything indicating gender dysphoria with Neo and Trinity. Maybe the new one will?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Edit; Forget it. Point conceded.

MLSM fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 24, 2021

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s not what happens in the movies.

Architect offers Neo a choice between destroying Zion or crashing the matrix. Neo chooses the latter, and Architect is like “eh, whatever. Goodbye humans.”

In the next film, Neo goes to Deus for help saving everyone, and Deus is like “gently caress off.” They’ve very clearly given up on the whole matrix project at this point.

The machines only become concerned when Smith threatens to somehow escape the matrix and overtake the Machine City.

I would have liked to see some Smith-programmed-sentinels attacking other sentinels before Deus killed him.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

SCheeseman posted:

There's a grungy 35mm pirate film scan of the first movie out there too.

Some comparison shots: https://imgur.com/a/iSfSrsM

Lol imagine them pulling some poo poo like this on alien or blade runner

Didn’t fellowship of the ring get some gross green tint too? What the gently caress Hollywood

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

codo27 posted:

I hope the whole product is good enough to make up for recasting Morpheus and Smith, two of the greatest and most iconic characters to appear in film in the last ~23 years.

It does look promising

Young hispster Smith and Morpheous here look so cringe.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m really having a hard time with the Morpheus cosplayer guy

It’s extremely distracting

Why have young hipster Morpheous and Smith and not a young Neo and Trinity? It’s bizarre.

And literally reusing scenes from the old movies — how awful and shameless? This is probably going to be Matrix version of Terminator: Genisys (one of the worst sequels ever made). The Matrix: Genisys, if you will.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hugo doing the scene where Smith awakens would have been so loving good.

Holy gently caress, yes.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

HorseLord posted:

It's why I'm so amazed that people are coming up with every imaginable excuse for not noticing it. It really can't be anything other than a refusal to pay attention when it's like the movie equivalent of those phones with extra large number buttons for old people.

Yeah I dont understand the bizarre complaints people itt are having about no marketing push to watch the previous films when matrix 4 LITERALLY HAS FOOTAGE OF THE OTHER THREE FILMS SPLICED THROUGHOUT THE RUNTIME.

Not to mention how pathetic it is whining about watching previous entries before watching a sequel, like, gently caress man.

Hey uhhh, why does sarah connor have ptsd about Arnold in terminator 2? You mean i have to watch that other one from early 80s?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
The funniest thing about Matrix 4 is how it’s ostensibly an anti-capitalist film by explicitly turning the matrix into a metaphor for capitalism (via the analyst) while still placing an emphasis on maintaining rugged individual identity — a fundamental contradiction.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
What does Smith mean by saying “I want what you want” to Neo in Reloaded and Revolutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
I really wish we got to see some Smith possessed sentinels/machines attacking the “machine city” before the final fight with Neo. It would have illustrated how utterly hosed the “real world” was alongside the matrix if Neo didn’t sacrifice himself.