Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I never wanted a Matrix sequel more than I do now because Keanu is on a fuckin roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

still worth calling out that it's bullshit, hack, and OP can gently caress off

:agreed:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

clean ayers act posted:

This works for Neo but Trinity was...quite dead . Dunno how they plausibly bring her back

Her "residual self-image" could maybe be recovered from all the deleted data left behind from the previous Matrix and re-coded by a new character to be inserted back into the new Matrix as a program.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm so loving ready for this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yup, I was 13 when I saw The Matrix. I remember talking with a couple of my friends saying how much it felt like a live-action anime—we had already been exposed to stuff like Ghost in the Shell and Akira at the time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MLSM posted:

Matrix: Genisys ?

Who was Terminator Genisys directed by?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

gently caress me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Every scene with Jessica Henwick looks so fuckin' cool. :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dude. Nu-Oracle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Counterpoint: it looks hella good

:hmmyes::agreed:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mean Bean Machine posted:

there's a shot of a alice in wonderland book, and later there's a shot of a white rabbit tattoo in a trailer scored to jefferson airplane - white rabbit. which is apparently hella good

Yeah, it owns. I can't stop watching the trailer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Crushing real hard on Jessica Henwick's character btw.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jay-V posted:

saw some semi-interesting speculation on reddit (spoilers bc who knows if they read the leaks and are just loving with people) -- could be going a route similar to New Nightmare for freddy krueger

-projection of Matrix 99 could indicate that it exists as a movie in-universe
-dude at the end of trailer who says "back where it all started, the Matrix!" could be a movie agent type (emphasis on "agent")
-"I wanna be someone important, like an actor"

This is the theory my brother and I were thinking of too. Make it ultra-meta.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I finished watching Revolutions just now after burning through Reloaded and the first film last night. Revolutions is alright. First is obviously one still the best, but Reloaded definitely has the best action (ignoring the burly brawl). That one-two punch of the chateau fight leading into the highway chase is pretty insane; hardly any big budget tentpole action blockbusters have set pieces that well designed. Only movies in the last few years that I feel come close or are as good/better are sequences from Fury Road and Alita.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Last night I watched Reloaded from start to finish for the first time in probably ten years. Honestly, the thing that stood out the most is how much they have increased the volume and bass of hand to hand fight foley work in the past 18 years. The punches are so quiet and soft sounding in that movie.

I always thought the fight scenes in The Matrix films sounded pretty unique. The "air whip" sfx behind thrown kicks and punches in particular, those have always stood out to me. I don't know how else to describe it, but all the sound embellishments for the martial arts on display in the movies felt appropriate for the sci-fi setting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

metachronos posted:

I posted on my FB about how hype I was from the new trailer and one of my "acquaintances" already went off on a screed about how Jessica Henwicks character is a "purple haired gender-fluid mary sue" and then made comparisons to Rey so yeah, they are out there.

That person sucks. Which is accurate because most people still on facebook suck rear end.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

We can only hope. Throw in also "being gay" and it'll be hella amazing.

Yeah for real. Anyone complaining about a character being super gay is weird af in 2021 too. Embrace the gay.

[edit]

porfiria posted:

Why does everything look like high budget TV show idgi.

Nothing in that Resurrections trailer looked egregiously TV-esque to me. That said, the line between the cinematic aesthetic of film and TV has been blurred for several years now. There are a lot of good looking tv shows.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 11, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

These days I have no idea what people mean when they say “looks like a tv show”

Using two different TV shows starring Zendaya, you can have stuff run the gamut from something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpibxh-tWOI

to something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY9jIwCx8y4

So... yeah, if you wanna say something "looks like a TV show" you gotta be more specific lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Remember that guy who cut a trailer for the shining but it’s a romcom? You could totally do this with just the M4 trailer footage into a TV drama.

This is more about how strength of editing works, and has little to do with the visual aesthetic of something.

[edit] Like, poo poo, here's The Incredibles — an animated film — cut 7 different ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqLqJojLUro

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 11, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Qualia posted:

“looks like a tv show” p.sure just means lack of a dedicated d.o.p.?

I'd say "Looks like a TV show" can be used as a catch-all term for use when something looks cheap, i.e., criticizing a film for having similar visuals to a sitcom or something (static wide shots, generic/uninteresting scene blocking, little/uninspired camera movement, flat lighting with zero contrast, uninteresting color grading...basically something shot efficiently as opposed to artistically), but again, that doesn't always work because not all TV shows are sitcoms. Some TV shows are beautifully shot (see Euphoria or Queen's Gambit as examples).

I know art is subjective, but imo, there is absolutely nothing in the Matrix Resurrections trailer that comes across looking like a Seinfeld episode or something similar, lol. If you want an example of a big budget blockbuster that you actually can attribute the "it looks like a TV show" criticism to, check out The Avengers and compare it to Godzilla 2014—both films employed the same director of photography, but Avengers was helmed by a lovely rear end TV director and it shows.

[edit]

vvv :cool::respek::cool: Using the lack of artistic merit in Whedon's work as a proper example of a movie looking like a TV show, lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 11, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It doesn't (imo).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Qualia posted:

okay, so there is no such thing as artistic v. efficient. mad false dichotomy, right? lack of a budget results in lack of a cinematographer: no variable focus, {in}consistent color, theme, tracking, etc. sully this with no dedicated composer, and you end up with rote. you rely solely on a director of action (logistics of performance: blocking, reading, etc.) without actual consideration of the consumption of the display as an aggregate

I...I think we agree?

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol I’m not saying it looks like Seinfeld or friends. Admittedly I haven’t watched TV in a while but it looks more like CSI or House or John Wick(yes this is not a TV) than the previous trilogy for the in-matrix shots. There was a deliberate color grading done on the original trilogy to signify the matrix vs the real world which is gone now. But also what replaced it, to me, feels like what’s done for prime time TV and movies like John Wick. Maybe it’s deliberate and will be explained.

If the film is indeed taking place post-Revolutions, the in-matrix shots look pretty consistent with the "reboot" stylings of the matrix shown at the end of Revolutions when the Oracle is talking with the Architect—high saturation/chroma with a distinct lack of the green-ish tint.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Noob Saibot posted:

Morpheus is not an educated person. He’s a low level grunt in the Zion army he’s literally articulating what he put together from others explaining to him.

It’s the equivalent of a McDonald’s cashier explaining to someone from
The 1800s how iPhones are manufactured.

What a weirdly specific comparison that makes zero sense given how well respected and highly regarded Morpheus is throughout Zion as both a leader and prophet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, this is the biggest wrench in the gears of the whole "humans aren't born, they're grown" aspect, bigger IMO than "people are batteries." Seems like a lot of work to keep track of who's loving who.

For the sake of spitballing because this is silly, the AI probably gets a notification ping when an impregnation is successful in the matrix and the farmer bots get an order to begin growing that specific baby using DNA from the two individuals who caused the ping. Then they boot up the baby's battery tube when it's "born" 9 months later inside the simulation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

A much simpler solution would just be to assign each new baby that's grown to an existing couple. Pregnancy in the Matrix doesn't exist unless it's because a new baby is being inserted.

That doesn't explain how a baby would physically look like its parents though, both inside and outside of the matrix.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Sure, but this is dangerously treading on 'life begins at _____' territory. How does a computer simulation decide when impregnation is successful? Randomly? Does it assign virility modifiers to everyone plugged into it?

This is a gross conversation, I'm sorry.

This conversation is weirdly funny, but yeah, I'd guess impregnation is a true/false component baked into the matrix's codebase.

lunar detritus posted:

I mean, the machines can alter the probabilities of pregnancy such that it only happens when someone in the farm dies. No need to keep track of anyone, just set a boolean to true when it's required so that the next time someone has sex it'll start the process.

Also this too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Noob Saibot posted:

The first movie makes it seem like he’s the leader of the human resistance especially the way his crew talks about him. In the sequel none of the council believes his nonsense about “the one” and most of the poo poo he said in the first film. He has no authority with the council or Zion leadership.at best he’ like an Andrew yang,

Comparing Morpheus to Andrew Yang is kinda yikes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Noob Saibot posted:

Morpheus is Zions Bernie sanders. He has followers and plays a role in government but has little real power. Then again he uses the red pill analogy so maybe he is more like Zions Donald Trump.

Either way he’s no Sheev Palpatine that’s for sure

You've compared Morpheus to a low level army grunt, a McDonald's cashier, Andrew Yang, Bernie Sanders, and Donald Trump. Lmao. What the hell.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Morpheus is everyone that libs fear simultaneously. The Matrix will Build Back Better and you need to stop undermining the system. If you think about it, the Zion rebels are EXACTLY like the Jan 6th rioters.

The machines are the ones who stormed Zion though....?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

The Son of man

It's this! Which is cool, I never thought to look up the significance. Wikipedia states [Ander] derives from the Greek noun ἀνήρ anēr, with genitive ἀνδρός andros, which means "man".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Asked in the CineD Discord, also gauging interest here:

Would any of you goons be keen on a 3-day Matrix marathon stream hosted in the CineD Discord? Tentative scheduling would be December 20th Matrix night, 21st Reloaded, and then the 22nd would be a double feature stream with Revolutions leading up to whenever Resurrections goes live on HBO Max.

[edit] If they plan to drop Resurrections at like 7PM the day-of, we can make it a 4-day event then. Matrix 19th, Reloaded 20th, Revolutions 21st, and Resurrections on the 22nd.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 2, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

aBagorn posted:

yes i'd be very in. where does one find this magical discord tho

https://discord.gg/NVM9CUX8

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is this the first time a sequel has shown the original movies as...an actual movie in the movie!? The new trailer shows clips from the OG Matrix on like a projector or something lmfao what is going on?

Also there had BETTER be a scene with Cipher in the background as a famous actor or the movie is trash.

My prevailing theory is we're getting a take on Wes Craven's New Nightmare but with Matrix flavoring. I'm sure I'm wrong though, but even if it turns out to be something similar, that'd be so cool lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

teagone posted:

Asked in the CineD Discord, also gauging interest here:

Would any of you goons be keen on a 3-day Matrix marathon stream hosted in the CineD Discord? Tentative scheduling would be December 20th Matrix night, 21st Reloaded, and then the 22nd would be a double feature stream with Revolutions leading up to whenever Resurrections goes live on HBO Max.

[edit] If they plan to drop Resurrections at like 7PM the day-of, we can make it a 4-day event then. Matrix 19th, Reloaded 20th, Revolutions 21st, and Resurrections on the 22nd.

Gonna have to drop out of hosting this one due to unfortunate scheduling :sigh:

Sorry to anyone who was gonna show up. Man, last one I did was for Army of the Dead. I wanna host more discord streams :smith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Theotus posted:

It's a super cool idea, I'm down for future ones whenever you or someone else gets the chance.

CineD Discord streams I've hosted in the past have been a lot of fun! Watching movies with a chatroom full of goons is for sure a unique way to experience a film, lol.

As right now the Matrix marathon stream is a strict no, but there is a really slim chance that I still might be able to host. I just don't want to openly commit to it and then just end up bailing the day of, but if I can host, I'll make sure to put together quick photoshop ads like I did for my other streams and post them here and in the GenChat/What's Streaming threads confirming the deets.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ah yes, the final movie in the Skywalker Saga

Agreed, The Last Jedi was a great send off for all the characters involved. Glad they finished the series after 8 films. 9 would've been too much.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For being a roughly 18-year follow up to a landmark trilogy, I'm happy that Resurrections didn't just shallowly weaponize nostalgia. Movie does some weird poo poo, and the expanded world building is ehh, it's kinda whatever, but the film has a lot of unique style and the story is charming enough. Definitely was a lot more quirky than I was expecting. If I had to gripe, the action design — while still pretty good, especially the opener with Bugs being a total badass; my life needs more actioners with Jessica Henwick please :allears: — was knocked down several notches compared to the previous movies. There's some good action bits, but nothing as strong compared to what we see in the first 3 films. And also I guess Bugs' crew felt like throwaways, lol. AI Morpheous sorta becomes a non-entity in the third act too. Overall, it's an interesting sequel with some pretty explicit messaging/commentary that I know is aimed at certain folk, and I love that poo poo. Lana owns. It's good, but not as good as the OG, Reloaded, or Revolutions.

Despera posted:

yeah this is literally "The Force aMatrixns"

I don't agree with this. This poo poo is less "soft reboot" and more like whatever sort of meta-sequel Scream 4 was, but cleverer and weirder imo.

[edit]

Gonz posted:

*techno music begins playing*

I really liked a lot of the techno tracks used during all the big set pieces lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 22, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm seeing it tonight, but worse than matrix 3 is kind of a downer

Why, Revolutions is a good romp.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fucker posted:

a good romp through hell. poo poo movie. same as reloaded.

How long has been since you've seen both films? On a revisit I found them so refreshing compared to the last decade of blockbuster cape poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Noob Saibot posted:

The first movie makes it seem like [Morpheus is] the leader of the human resistance especially the way his crew talks about him. In the sequel none of the council believes his nonsense about “the one” and most of the poo poo he said in the first film. He has no authority with the council or Zion leadership.at best he’ like an Andrew yang,

Just wanted to lol at this quoted post now that the movie is out.

Azubah posted:

It took me too long to realize Bugs was a play on Bugs Bunny, even has a carrot on her shirt.

I really liked the final shot.

Bugs has a line of dialogue where she references Bugs Bunny lol. Really love just how self-aware/referential this movie was.