Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I saw this last night and I'm pretty let down. It felt like I was watching a marvel/star wars movie. There were some cool themes but they were all delivered with the subtly of a sledgehammer. The action scenes and score seemed pretty bad and it felt like the whole thing was relying on member-berries, right down to almost every fight scene being worse versions of the fight choreography from previous films (smith fight mirroring matrix1, the exiles mirroring the same fighting moves in the chateu from reloaded, etc).

I don't get too :goonsay: about entertainment media these days, but this just really was disappointing to me since this is one of my favorite franchises, despite 2 and 3 being pretty flawed.

It was just so full of little things that made me shake my head. Like in the matrix, the "deja vu" scene was such a cool concept to me because it linked the strange feeling of deja vu (the dreamlike feeling of having experienced something before) to the simulation being altered and creating a tangible feeling for those inside. It was a cool idea; that that strange human feeling we all get now and then is related to being inside of a simulation and that simulation being altered. They had a cat walk by twice, and then the entire team suddenly making GBS threads bricks about "are you sure? was it the same cat as before?" and neo being clueless about why they were all panicking that he had a brief moment of deja vu.

In this new one there's literally a cat named deja-vu that is an actual in-game reset button for the analyst and he reaches out for it in the middle of a heated gunfight - like he needs his big red emergency button in cat form. Like come the gently caress on. It feels like it boiled off the surrealism and mystery into callbacks people would remember. I have a dozen other quibbles but I've written more than enough getting nerdmad about a movie.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

Did this person not watch the movie either? I read that review and I'm honestly not sure. The movie isn't quick cut action like borne the reviewer cites, the action is actually very clear

I definitely disagree there. The exile fight especially kept cutting away from the action to close-ups of the Merovingian and angles that made it hard to see what was going on, and blows often didn't even seem like they were connecting. It was pretty terrible compared to the clearly choreographed fights in the original. I've talked to a few people who feel the same way, so I know its not just us who noticed it.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

"We need nothing" is literally wrong, though.

This is pretty self-explanatory to me.

Neo: You won't let it happen, you can't. You need human beings to survive.

The Architect: There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept. However, the relevant issue is whether or not you are ready to accept the responsibility for the death of every human being in this world.

Humans represent an abundance of energy to the machines. They allow the machines to expand and have massive cities and population. The levels of survival the architect mentions probably means stopping growth, putting machines into sleep mode, losing their industrial capacity, etc. They have other energy sources, but it would be like our civilization unplugging from fossil fuels tomorrow and relying on something like green energy that wouldn't meet 100% of our needs and would generally be disastrous aside from keeping certain core things online.

They can survive without humans in the same way humans can survive without a power grid. We sure as gently caress wouldn't want to, and the progress of civilization would be thrown back into the dark ages, but we don't "need" it. It doesn't mean we wouldn't desperately do everything in our power to avoid resorting to that level of survival. That's what mecha-baby and the architect are trying to say: "we don't need you. We'll survive but life will suck. you on the other hand will become an extinct species."

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 5, 2022