Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

got some chores tonight posted:

so nba2k20 was approaching nonsense levels rather early in the game year with the new year resolution cards and then giving bill russell, dwight howard, etc legitimate three points but ben simmons with a 99 3pt and hof limitless range is absurd

as long as his tendancy is set to rock bottom it's accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Disco De Soto posted:

No he's a SG. Seems like even with Zubac gone we have 6 centers! But with Zubac out and Montrez injured our interior defense is terrible so we're currently 15-14 haha.

Another weird thing - of the 29 games I've played so far, we've only played one game in the Braves jersey, and none in the black one (which is my fav and the one I have irl) or the LA jersey. The other games it's only been the blue or white. What gives?

eventually you'll be able to set your team's jerseys for every game, just keep grinding

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

lord help me; i've started playing 2k again

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

they should get Spike Lee back on board for another 2k imo

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Largepotato posted:

I've seen some bad trades in mycareer, but this one is by far the worst.

Second season for my shooting guard.

The Knicks' 2 best players are now shooting guards (McCollum & RJ Barrett), while the only center on the roster is a 73 overall rookie.

The Trail Blazers 3 best players after Lillard are all centers (Robinson, Nurkic, & Favors), while the best shooting guard is 77 overall.

to be fair, cj is like 6'3 and would play the point on most teams as long as there's someone else in the lineup who can take on most of the playmaking

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Disco De Soto posted:

Ok so time-out seems to solve all of these problems

sometimes the refs need some gatorade too

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I had to swap out the current teams for historic ones to get an all legends league so I get a lot of teams named Lakers and once in a while get duplicate players (from different years)

Only thing I want to do is create Barkley since for some reason he's not in this game and he's one of my fave players. You'd think that NBA Finals Suns team would have made the cut.

He won't sell his rights until 2K makes a large donation to the retired players union

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, I'll say one thing

The CPU in this game is WAY better at grabbing offensive boards and put backs.

Holy poo poo I think I've been out rebounded on offense every loving game I've played - and that's with dudes with like Moses Malone, Rodman and Mutumbo on my squad. The CPU/AI seems to have crashing the offensive glass built in to its programming

I haven't had ONE offensive put back dunk the entire time I've played the game I don't think.

Offensive putbacks are all about positioning, timing, and momentum in 2k. They aren't going to work most of the time if you're just boxing out in front of the basket waiting for the miss, you have to be looking for open lanes to cut through to the basket and just pray that the ball bounces your way. Also I'm pretty sure every offensive rebound that Moses Malone grabbed in his career were just his own misses

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

So I've been dicking around with NBA2k16 for a good while cause I got it for $3 at a flea market and dig it a lot but have been thinking of picking up a newer version where the 76ers are good and that has Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid. I can grab ANY older version for real cheap.

Couple questions:

- is the gameplay mostly the same or have they hosed with the basic controls in ways that will mess with my muscle memory? Because it's ingrained at thsi point.

- Can you still relocate/create your own team, stadium and logos and poo poo? Because I LOVE that.

- Do they still have the classic rosters? Because that's a HUGE selling point for me since I'm old and love the 70's - 90's players and teams. Bird, Erving, Moses, Magic, Kareem, MJ, etc. I don't think I'd enjoy the game as much just playing with modern rosters.

- What's head to to head online play like overall? Seems like it'd be a hard game to cheese, unlike Madden or Fight Night but online types always seem to find a way and, in general, I don't enjoy playing games online, especially with strangers.

- Can you create a player in any of these (2k16-2k20) without it being a "my career" guy and going thru that BS? Like, can I just make Charles Barkley or a 6'1", 155 lb SF that resembles myself and simply stick them on a roster? Because I can't find that option.

Any feedback would be awesome. thx.

- gameplay is pretty similar, you'll probably have a couple sessions before you get used to it, but it's the same beast for the most part

- yeah

- yeah

- idk

- yeah, and you get more positional/stat freedom in the full create-a-player mode. only downside is you can't use your face scan for anything except myplayers.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Largepotato posted:

My greatest achievement in NBA2K20

First in the bench press at the Draft Combine.

now that's a feat. I don't think I've ever gotten more than 7 in a single round

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

there are 3 things that have to change to myplayer before i get really into it again:

1. allow league expansion so i can lead vancouver to a ring
2. allow users to "refresh" the rosters/player stats as they change irl through the season and stop putting fake players like Murray on teams
3. faster cutscene skips that work on every cutscene

i don't think any of these would break any of the competitive systems in any way, but who knows. also i left off the obvious ones like "speed up the VC/badge grind" bc i understand that 2k will never stop scamming until laws are introduced

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Quizzlefish posted:

I'd really like it if you could also course in advance what to skip and it didn't even bother loading those things. E.g. cutscenes, half time break, sitting on the bench between minutes, etc.

That'd be awesome. There's been a handful of times where I've made stupid call for passes at the start of a quarter/when I checked into the game because I was mashing X to get through the cutscene for a bit too long

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

how can they have this set to release next month when we still don't know when the season is going to start or end? patching in a new calendar is definitely going to gently caress up a ton of people's career files

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

i was playing 2k20 myleague last night and the first bucket the spurs made against me was a pretty early-shotclock jakob poetl pick and pop 3

jakob poetl, the guy with 3 careers 3 pointers attempted

edit: sorry, misread his bballref page. hes attempted 2, not 3

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

man, i'm only 45 seconds in, but lots of funny stuff so far

- "You can see so much new content in the game this year" as Allie Laforce delivers a sideline report with the exact same camera pans and actor movements as david aldridge in 2k20
- "I'm just so impressed with what the team did" as jrue and BI are in perfect animation sync for 10 seconds

what did they even work on past the lighting and re-doing the rosters?

e: oh they added contact alley oops

Katana_Warrior fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 30, 2020

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/Troydan/status/1324518171949281282

doth mine eyes deceive me, or did ronnie 2k hire nate duncan for a voice-only role???

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

big news

https://twitter.com/2K_Rosters/status/1325556821327818762

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Metapod posted:

Lol if this is true gently caress this game forever

https://twitter.com/2KInsiderr/status/1325827557195964417?s=19

you get one if you buy the legend edition, but only the next gen version

their business model is wild

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

2k21 is half off on PC via the steam sale if you were holding out for a discount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

The Duggler posted:

This is the "last-gen" version of the game right?

correct, also it has a bunch of the same bugs as 2k20 PC. The my career story was the best one since 2k16 imo, though that's not saying much.