Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I see what you mean. When I reach the modern era, I'm often out of decisions to make so I'm just pressing the Next Turn button, but the game does spend a lot of turns in that era. I don't think they'd need to extend the modern era, just make it so there are multiple possible futures for humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah there's never really a lot to do in the contemporary era in either game, but it does seem a little more empty in Humankind. Science is super snowballing by that point, space race production is pretty trivial and the fame points are basically wrapped up too.

Maybe you have to make a lone city somewhere to get aluminium or uranium but those are easy to claim in the previous era anyway. There's not much else to do except start pointless wars just out of spite or because you want to roll some tanks in your last 10 turns. Hopefully the new spies and UN system will add something, but the science rush is still going to be the easy win unless they nerf it hard and then the end game will just be a longer slog.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
For me Humankind felt a lot more involved in later eras. I'm not a great Civ player and haven't won a Civ6 game on a difficulty higher than Emperor but I don't think I ever saw a modern era war in my hundreds of hours in the game. By this time I've either won the game and just optimizing stuff, or I lost hope in the Medieval era. Humankind AI actually expands so in my 2 latest games I faced AIs who were big and strong and competed with me in terms of fate points, and once I was even attacked in the contemporary era - and it wasn't the case of me neglecting military, it was aggressive AI going for a domination victory.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Humankind is free to play on Steam this weekend if anyone reading this thread still hasn't tried it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Expansion is out today https://store.steampowered.com/app/1833990/HUMANKIND__Together_We_Rule_Expansion_Pack/

Judging by the immense amount of chatter here, it must be amazing

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think this market is over saturated. All the big games have a constant flow of updates. Even something "finished" like Civilization 6 is so big it takes years for many people to get everything out of it. I like Humankind but I have Victoria 3 right now and a few other games constantly get updates, like other Paradox games and Old World, maybe even Distant Worlds 2 or Total War games. That puts Humankind in a "I'll probably buy a complete pack in some bundle for 10 bucks" category. It's good but good is not enough anymore.

Like you know Galactic Civilization 4 was released earlier this year? I've realized it today and wanted to check out how is it 6 months after release and I discovered there are no YouTube play through of it after the release. During 2000's it was the second 4X game after Civilization and today nobody cares.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Yeah, every time I see Humankind updates on Steam I'm like "drat those changes look really cool, I should play that again sometime" and then invariably just go back to whatever Paradox game I'm playing

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I feel moderately bad because I want more games like this and I think Humankind is the most amount of money that’ll ever be spent making one not called Civ, so I want it to do well. But also….eh. And now it looks like Civ is going to get some new content so I’d probably rather just play that if I’m feeling a non-Old World traditional 4x.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I like Humankind more than Civ, but haven't played a full game of it in a while. The expansion looks interesting, but it looks like a lot of features to make the game take longer, and I wish they'd fixed the obvious flaws with narrative events. It's a great game but some of the design mistakes people complained about are extremely obvious. It's like if an NBA team had four all-star starters and a walrus.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Anno posted:

And now it looks like Civ is going to get some new content

wait what?

Anno
May 10, 2017

This was briefly posted on their website. presumably in error.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Budget is another thing that keeps me worried. ES1 and EL looked great but adequate to the genre. ES1 and Humankind feel like somebody in the management screwd up and redirected money allocated for AAA open world next big thing to a niche strategy game. It's not like Civ6 is a perfect game, but it's polished enough and issues with the AI mostly affect few dedicated players. EL couldn't fix some obvious UI issues even after years of support, and people had to wait for years for some basic functionality. These games can't ever be as popular as Sega's other strategy games (Total War and Company of Heroes) unless they replace Civ from the pedestal and it doesn't seem realistic.

But what do I know, maybe Amplitude and Sega just know how to make good looking games and they're doing just fine.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I spent a few days playing the beta for the new expansion (you can opt-in via Steam) and it's pretty much still just Humankind. The AI seems noticeably tougher at both the strategic and tactical levels though. I found myself losing way more fights and my normal battle strategy of "take the high ground and let the AI run into you" stopped working so much.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The AI in Civ VI really sucks at playing the game. Humankind feels like playing against a human who is trying to win, although the AI does have artificial advantages at higher difficulty.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Anno posted:

This was briefly posted on their website. presumably in error.

Please, no more Civ 6.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

The Human Crouton posted:

Please, no more Civ 6.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

Please, more Civ 6.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
What we really need is more Civ 5

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

camoseven posted:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

camoseven posted:

Absolutely.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

camoseven posted:

What we really need is more Panzer General 2

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
What we need is a civ iv remaster

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
give the Old World team ten million dollars

Anno
May 10, 2017

camoseven posted:

Have you tried the Vox Populi mod (and all its sub mods)? If not, that’s what you want. It’s great.

Jinnigan posted:

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Grundma posted:

Jinnigan posted:

I agree, we need to give Soren Johnson more money

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jinnigan posted:

So they can write 1000000000 more random events that nobody will read?

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 10, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, I actually downloaded the expansion and tried it out. The main difference seems to be the changes to Independents. Basically it is slightly more complicated to recruit them, but also they are annoyingly more aggressive than they used to be. My first game I almost immediately lost because an Independent decided to run around destroying all of my outposts at once before I'd even built a military unit. I don't think that's necessarily wrong of them, but I'm used to playing on Pacifist Mode because I can't be bothered, and now I am forced to be bothered.

The Embassy and Council of Humanity stuff seems insanely pointless and not worth interacting with. You can force other people to change their Civics (kinda-sorta not really) but it is extremely unclear why you should care.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ah yes, the well loved "twiddle with dials that modify an inscrutable machine" school of 4x design

... wait that's actually paradox's entire library

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Clarste posted:

Well, I actually downloaded the expansion and tried it out. The main difference seems to be the changes to Independents. Basically it is slightly more complicated to recruit them, but also they are annoyingly more aggressive than they used to be. My first game I almost immediately lost because an Independent decided to run around destroying all of my outposts at once before I'd even built a military unit. I don't think that's necessarily wrong of them, but I'm used to playing on Pacifist Mode because I can't be bothered, and now I am forced to be bothered.

The Embassy and Council of Humanity stuff seems insanely pointless and not worth interacting with. You can force other people to change their Civics (kinda-sorta not really) but it is extremely unclear why you should care.

I guess changing civics would be nice if it meant cutting down on those cultural osmosis events

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It was the combat system that turned me off this game, particularly battles that involved cliffs that turned into slaughters because of some unpredictable quirk of the system. At least you know what you're getting with civ6.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Grundma posted:

Proper multithreading in engine. Art can stay (the simple art is imho why it has so much unit mods)

ilitarist posted:

EL couldn't fix some obvious UI issues even after years of support, and people had to wait for years for some basic functionality.

My theory is that Amplitude has 50 artists and 2 programmers.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 10, 2022

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

MikusR posted:

Proper multithreading in engine. Art can stay (the simple art is imho why it has so much unit mods)
I’m not sure if Civ 4’s art could even be called simple; in many ways it was more detailed than 5’s. One of my favorite things to do when loading up a big mod was to go through the civilopedia and admire the ridiculous amount of 3D building and unit models - many of them unique to each civ.

Dayton Sports Bar fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 10, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

I agree, we need to give Soren Johnson more money

Soren Johnson joined Stardock so he's tainted for life in my eyes. Screw him forever.

Baron Porkface posted:

It was the combat system that turned me off this game, particularly battles that involved cliffs that turned into slaughters because of some unpredictable quirk of the system. At least you know what you're getting with civ6.

This and simultaneous turns are the two instant deal-killers for me with this game.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

I’m not sure if Civ 4’s art could even be called simple; in many ways it was more detailed than 5’s. One of my favorite things to do when loading up a big mod was go through the civilopedia and admire the ridiculous amount of 3D building and unit models - many of them unique to each civ.

I think early on civ v’s art tools were so hosed up that the only way to add new units was to port over civ 4 ones, which turned out perfectly fine since with how much smaller civ v units are, 4 ones looked perfectly fine in the V engine. That’s why the civ v version of the mod that gave every civ cosmetically unique units is mostly a port of the civ 4 one assets wise.

I think civ 6’s tools were similarly hosed up at launch but never got fixed with is why there’s so little custom art in mods.

They never released the dll source code which is necessary for mods implementing new mechanics and the like either, Firaxis has gotten real sloppy without any real competition

Anno
May 10, 2017

Kchama posted:

Soren Johnson joined Stardock so he's tainted for life in my eyes. Screw him forever.

Are you sure you aren’t thinking of Jon Shafer? Far as I know Soren never worked for Stardock (though they did publish Offworld Trading Company).

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Anno posted:

Are you sure you aren’t thinking of Jon Shafer? Far as I know Soren never worked for Stardock (though they did publish Offworld Trading Company).

He was the guy who made Fallen Enchantress for Stardock. He has his own company, but he also works at Stardock. He did Star Control Origins just recently and assisted in their IP theft of the Star Control series, so he's scum all the way down in my eyes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Kchama posted:

He was the guy who made Fallen Enchantress for Stardock. He has his own company, but he also works at Stardock. He did Star Control Origins just recently and assisted in their IP theft of the Star Control series, so he's scum all the way down in my eyes.

You're thinking of the wrong Civ designer. Jon Shafer (lead on Civ V) is who went to work for Stardock and then left to make At the Gates, a bad game. Soren Johnson led Civ IV and then went on to make Offworld Trading Company and now Old World.

Edit: Maybe they both did?

E2: I see he has a "thanks" credit in SCO, and I think Mohawk had a shared office space with Stardock at some point, so eh, guess I'll take the L on this one. It's weird that him and Shafer (and I think Derek Paxton?) all got swindled by Wardell's lovely rear end.

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 11, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

probably just the reality that tbs games are pretty niche, so there weren't a lot of options out there at the time

see also why old world was on egs

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Vox Populi adds too much annoying fiddly poo poo to Civ 5, and not enough fun fiddly poo poo. (Mostly the local happiness systems that seem to be absolutely impossible to satisfy after a point.)

Bogart fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bogart posted:

Vox Populi adds too much annoying fiddly poo poo to Civ 5, and not enough fun fiddly poo poo. (Mostly the local happiness systems that seem to be absolutely impossible to satisfy after a point.)

The main problem with talented modders is that they can't resist putting absolutely every idea they've ever had in their entire life into a mod.